• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1000 warning screens from when you put a color game into a monochromatic handheld

Forkball

YEAH
Like putting an Xbox disc inside a PS2, few have tempted fate and put a color portable game into a monochromatic portable. However some brave souls looked into the abyss and pulled out over a thousand of warning screens informing you to go buy new hardware. While many are just blank text on screen, some are more clever and detailed. Yes, SNK vs. Capcom for NGP does have the best ones. ENJOY. Mega pic from HG101.

CuRe4IyWIAAo2i8.jpg

Q7Gc6IK.png

coqRDW3.png

Z5I2mfA.png

Q3sa8cB.png

7Et35Mq.gif

515xcDR.png

Mj6JXBL.gif

62UTStz.gif

zDIrSdn.gif

A-V-B

I like the ones where the characters look really disheartened. That's how a little kid would've felt popping a color game into their B&W game boy.

linko9

Doing God's work.

Impressive the amount of work that was put into some of these, considering almost no one would ever see them.

edit: damn those SNK vs. Capcom ones on NGP are elaborate!

SoulUnison

Banned
This reminds me of putting the Skies of Arcadia disc in a CD player and hearing the characters tell you to put them back in a Dreamcast so they can "do their job."

oimori

How can you get that pokémon crystal message? Isnt the cartridge different ??

iirc crystal was color only cartridge while gold and silver worked on both GB and GBC, which was thinner than crystal.

edit: or you assume crystal's cartridge wouldn't fit old GB?

Oh wow what. I never looked into Gameboy much, it was a Pokemon/ Tetris machine for me growing up.

I thought all Gameboy original and color games worked on either. If you just put a color game in original it wouldn't display color. Well I'll be damned, lucky I didn't try that as a kid. I only had an original for a long time.

Rikhard13

Neo Member
iirc crystal was color only cartridge while gold and silver worked on both GB and GBC, which was thinner than crystal.

edit: or you assume crystal's cartridge wouldn't fit old GB?
You do remember correctly but gold and silver worked fine on regular Gameboy. That message is from crystal as it says on unknowns . But my crystal cartridge wouldn't fit on my game boy pocket so how can people get that message? Are there different cartridges in different regions? Is game boy brick slot different from the pocket ?

You do remember correctly but gold and silver worked fine on regular Gameboy. That message is from crystal as it says on unknowns . But my crystal cartridge wouldn't fit on my game boy pocket so how can people get that message? Are there different cartridges in different regions? Is game boy brick slot different from the pocket ?
w0L1v0v.png

Here's one way. I assume it also works on the Super Game Boy. You can also perform the Coin Case glitch to see the screen on a GBC or higher, the game crashes and doesn't reboot properly so it assumes it's on a GB Pocket or lower.

itschris

For those wondering how you could put a GBC game in a Game Boy, the Game Boy Pocket didn't have the switch that goes over the cartridge notch like the original Game Boy did:

WEQpXq5.jpg
X45s52w.jpg

i must have played thousands of hours on a GBC and before seeing that picture i would have sworn it had the same mechanical notch as the original gameboy had.

ReyVGM

Thanks OP, I wanted to make the thread on my own, but I was juniored.

The mega pic is from my forum post on HG101's site, but more people saw it from HG101's tweet.

I'm the poor soul that did that project.

Doing God's work.

Thanks. It took a while too.

Oh wow what. I never looked into Gameboy much, it was a Pokemon/ Tetris machine for me growing up.

I thought all Gameboy original and color games worked on either. If you just put a color game in original it wouldn't display color. Well I'll be damned, lucky I didn't try that as a kid. I only had an original for a long time.
Yeah, it's because the Gameboy Color had a special GBC-only mode that ran at double speed, gave the game more memory to play with, and had other little improvements. GBC-only games came in translucent clear cases.

Dimmle

Yeah, it's because the Gameboy Color had a special GBC-only mode that ran at double speed, gave the game more memory to play with, and had other little improvements. GBC-only games came in translucent clear cases.

I never knew this! Video games as a medium are sort of lacking in portable historians.

Drain You

Slightly off topic, but I remember going to Toys R Us when Ps2 first came out with Twisted Metal Black and not understanding why it wouldn't work in my PS1. I knew the Ps2 played Ps1 games so OBVIOUSLY it worked both ways righttttt? I was so disappointed when the guy at the store explained to me it didn't work that way. Looking back on it now it seems do dumb of me, but I was quite young.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
That Planet of the Apes one is the GOAT. Looks like he's yelling at the user for being so ignoramus. Lol.

CuRe4IyWIAAo2i8.jpg

Rikhard13

Neo Member
Here's one way. I assume it also works on the Super Game Boy. You can also perform the Coin Case glitch to see the screen on a GBC or higher, the game crashes and doesn't reboot properly so it assumes it's on a GB Pocket or lower.

For those wondering how you could put a GBC game in a Game Boy, the Game Boy Pocket didn't have the switch that goes over the cartridge notch like the original Game Boy did:

You guys are right. My bad. Crystal actually fits on the GB Pocket. I thought it didn't.
maKtyvqShXQ5wRvMgj1ZvOU7yBO_eUsym9UwXz6uEq8zT3iHY66Pg_uObwS5TtYm37n8yKz9TPygeAVvBduXjdTlxWQS-631tFL1C4olZ0KAI3zZrFimODcIb9PVO1_QMUuTH0jjWTN4sUCgVcKxKQ17ZZdsCuOFkHyVWPGrKmsUzpeju0IBrN1QNq0KruMIN0D_x_nR_L-HTZspOH-7j9cAm4ofj6BQ53MjZErALtlG_k4IhMKCIXMeso6qHwIAEq5McfopVZHCCkegSGhmfwPdCVpcp7HD8bsjW65riRK_-rJoeZq9zrWK6PPhA2_hu7SrXO1Xgqz-r70phQ4gLxT2lBZoQx8UF47eqvARHMYIcoEO_TSndJolUQpLKisswXNOLD3tEJxItHNN1Pe6dxt3GUOfkJm4YOQN4H3utuMSYPEqhsdfq9HDxMgLARPKRE3DEulk4fJMIBjb2jNtMQJ8tcP52t2lkdZ7KUCtiAasgvddRJsrgCtCzAdmFKhyIZ4d4YYVcYvrq1rC7mmHfBkmpeN7WIj_7gq_ZXx8Qng30oXj4FHn7FYsgMQjMU3Qs_BnROnK-qENwtfPyrA_GU1ikAB5fp1u2FaWBTfpdVrK28MNnw=w907-h680-no

y5wIA_8on0Jr4H9lJ0yZ43Azy7DivwOT87BHtm1fuRjU-_0mhiK6PcInzOcTZfSk6-o7MGu4-LWT47oO-e_Hp6n-che3z2tjvmsN9zm8D4ndW6sRixfL03qjQ2T86vxEV26YDdZmfm4QYTVbft94f5RgN2aK85TKs3wZBz0vUNX0x8hDvDXsEnUasfw_mdJbpnHkDRpjvzRjOsYqLqkicjqJm9XSDXfzCtaDm5qbZCS3EOef8PgECH7uVk7pCW3ZGzx9BE-pRrO9YNqSp2YpvQ7adCpa22H5Wean--6zI1Oh5nDYCk04G8mwFKS_fCv70SrCwXDFfxgkJ4v0SNxJQIiqjimEPoIvTVq-c803ZuPJAOEXMhqE-gHwml7m7SafgZIRepogScHAIjLPWt0lVJBEMLtvMK3YjGv1U3hWqiHspwW3WpEhdllHAys2dPcVyTGRxWPqBcucLgBcGZv1-kCunzIyam5Q_UjJbPWnF41N9I6GHwkPRP5jsLuwaNryVjU-28kasqQ_7C3TgPazZKMr9VPFGMNM5q8QNBFD5ZIvdmJs0lwml539w7_w9dUkfS-7rfqqnbakZoYDZ9Qr2AUYhNaAaFqRZVk9sQfYf7GJwwaupA=w907-h680-no

pa22word

That planet of the apes one could have been really amazing if they just did the ending of the first movie shopped a GBC in for the Statue of Liberty.

Jamie OD

but i thought you couldn't even turn the regular gameboys on because the cartridges didn't have that notch cut out?

You could also get the messages on the Super Game Boy add-on for Super Nintendo. That thing didn't do anything to the notch so you could switch it on with a GBC game inside.

SNES_Super_Gameboy.jpg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its weird what things trigger that feeling of nostalgia. I don't think I ever encountered one of these screens or at least don't remember so but damn if I didn't love me some Gameboy. Fuck Game Gear though, that thing ate batteries like a blue whale eats plankton.

wrowa

That's great. I always thought you'd only get a generic message, didn't know some developers actually put quite a bit of effort into this. Really cool.

FyreWulff

You could also get the messages on the Super Game Boy add-on for Super Nintendo. That thing didn't do anything to the notch so you could switch it on with a GBC game inside.

SNES_Super_Gameboy.jpg

Also, every regular Game Boy game up until the last release in the 2000s released after the Super Game Boy all supported having custom SGB borders. Well past the SNES's peak.

Also also, Space Invaders for Game Boy supports playing an actual SNES version of Space Invaders via the Super Game Boy.

Slightly off topic, but I remember going to Toys R Us when Ps2 first came out with Twisted Metal Black and not understanding why it wouldn't work in my PS1. I knew the Ps2 played Ps1 games so OBVIOUSLY it worked both ways righttttt? I was so disappointed when the guy at the store explained to me it didn't work that way. Looking back on it now it seems do dumb of me, but I was quite young.

Also as trivia, in the modern disc based console era I think only the Burger King promotional games have native cross gen versions of the game on one disc. It had both original Xbox and the 360 native versions on the same disc for each game.

Nintendo has had at least one game in each handheld have cross-gen features, though.

GB->GBC: Pokemon Gold and Silver.
GBC->GBA: Oracles Advance Shop, Pokemon trading between GB era and GBA era via link cable
GBA->DS: Pokemon * transferring
DS->3DS: Pokemon DS games support using WPA/WPA2 via your saved connections when in a 3DS, and use WEP on an original DS.

Most surprising thing for me was that there were 4 DDR games for the GBC. I understand you can still control the game without a dance pad, but it seems weird that they would release 4 of them within an 8 month span without actually checking if people wanted it for that system. I guess some people bought the first one?

Top Bottom