• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Japanese games would you most like to see on the PC?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
All of them. All the SHUMPs, VNs, JRPGs, fighters, etc.

PC is the promised land for many of these genres. Consoles have left many of them behind while PC gamers would welcome and embrace them. A platform unmatched in size around the world.

Come on home Japan.

Dramatic, yes but I believe a lot of it. =)

The stigma of PC gaming in Japan being about Hentai kept 3rd parties away from the platform and its a shame.
But that stigma only came about when PC developers making non-eroge products moved to console development (Falcom employees forming Quintet, for example). That left the PC-98 with an open market for new studios, many of whom imitated Elf's Dragon Knight series and other games. Not too many users played on an FM Towns or X68000, so visual novels were suzerain over the territory. Japanese PC gaming has always been looked down upon because it's seen as improper, a distraction from office work (and, regrettably, a hotbed of piracy until the mid-1980s when prices refused to drop but copy protection became common).

Everything. But I'll settle down for the whole Metal Gear franchise, from the MSX ones to the spinoffs, with obviously the mainline ones and beyond.

I'm more interested in the bits of the history of Japanese PC gaming that we've never really seen in the West in a big way. As an archetypal example, the Xanadu series. Tons of games, and I'd find them fascinating from a historical standpoint.

It's a big chunk of the pantheon of games that's not really known in the west, and a major gap in my understanding of the history of the medium, and I'd love to rectify that.

Yeah, I mean, there was talk in a recent Trails thread on about how the verbose dialogue and deep world combo in that series was not an aberration, and that there were about 3 other J-PC RPGs that did similar. No clue about this until told.

Some non-eroge VNs would be fantastic. I mean, I'll take any VNs I can get, since I want more localized, but some with less emphasis on h-scenes and titillation would be neat-o.

Zaku

Pretty much the entire Atlus catalog, but most especially a version of Catherine which had the Battle Coliseum with online.

I want to push people off ledges online and hear them rage.

Stitch

Gold Member
Katamari

Loved them on consoles but technically they were always a mess. Bamco seems to port more and more stuff to PC so maybe it will happen some day.

At this point pretty much the mid to low key titles like Tales, Disgaea, Atelier, etc.

Tekken and Dead or Alive would be nice grabs too. Gotta get them 3D fighters on there. I feel like I would enjoy them more than the 2d fighters for some reason.

ElTopo

Banned
Let's get the Muthafuckin' Capcom XBLA/PSN fightan games on Steam already muthafucka's!

Seriously, BIG audience right there waiting for it, wanting it. Just release:

SF2HDR
3SOE
Vampire Savior collection
and I was going to say Mahvel but they lost the rights
and fucking CVS2OE?

Put that on Steam with GGPO. Done. Millions of dollars.

SNKP has put fighters on PC and they're good ports. WTF Capcom? SNKP of all companies bested you at this.

shaowebb

Culdcept. Seriously...its an RPG card game that is like a mix of Magic the Gathering and Monopoly. How is this not already on PC?!

Also Neo Geo Battle Coliseum

Momentary

Banned
Xrd, Tekken 7, Dead or Alive 5, VF5FS, Climax, Chrono Phamtasma, all Metal Gear, all Platinum.

I need all that stuff. Hopefully BlazBlue and Guilty Gear are waiting to make an "all included" iteration to release it on the platform.

I thought it might actually make it this far without anyone saying Demon's Souls. I only say it because my PS3 is flaky right now, and I purchased it the day before the PS3 got the YLOD. I was able to somewhat repair the thing and make sure all my saves were backed up, but I'd rather buy the game again on the PC and not have to fork over the money for a new PS3.

Top Bottom