• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

100ft Robot Golf |OT| It's all In The Hips, It's All In The Hips

schaft0620

k33tYzZ.jpg

Developer: No Goblin
Platforms: PS4/PSVR via PSN
Release Date: 10/10/16
Price: $19.99 USD
Multiplayer: Up to 4 players online or split screen
Download Size: 13.84GB V 1.02
Trophies: 15 total, 9 Bronze 6 Silver
http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5387-100ft-Robot-Golf

What is it?

100ft Robot Golf is a real time golf game where you get to control impossibly large robots on their quest for par. Never get your ball stuck behind a pesky tree or skyscraper ever again! Just swing your golf club to smash even the tallest buildings out of the way - or into the way of your robot golfing buddies.
Up to four players can hit the greens, cities, mountains and orbiting moons that comprise the Robot Golf Tour Circuit. Either split-screen or online, budding robot golf pilots can play frantic real-time golf, classic turn based action, or even custom rulesets crafted for your own custom Robot Golf round!
Looking for something solo? 100ft Robot Golf's unique campaign mode reveals the real stories and experiences of today's robot golf pilots. Experience the excitement, romance, and thrills of controlling one hundred feet of raw golfing power through some of the cheapest '90s-inspired mecha animation ever committed to screen.
As well as allowing you to destroy any obstacle in your way, 100ft Robot Golf also gives you full control in how you enact your golfing mayhem. Select from a lineup of pilots* and robots spanning a wide range of playstyles and abilities. Want to put your own personal spin on your robot? Jump into the customization hangar and create a unique build to show off online!

(*Since we know you're going to ask: yes, you can choose to be a pilot that is five small dogs in a suit.)

Content: 11 customizable Robots, 36 holes across 4 environments

PSVR Support: 100ft Robot Golf will support PSVR at launch

wi7uY3a.png

VR Gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdamRnDZFqA

Poliots:
Kqpjuca.jpg

Saints Row Crossover Content:
tumblr_inline_oek2pkskBR1qzx9i6_1280.png

tumblr_inline_oek2qw33RX1qzx9i6_1280.png

As Pierce Washington, you’ll be able to man an oversized version of the Saints Row IV’s Mech Suit that has had a golf club hastily grafted onto it. You’ll also be given special VIP access to the Exploding Ball. It’s a ball that explodes after you’ve charged it up with some real good golf.
BUT THAT’S NOT ALL! Every robot in 100ft Robot Golf is customizable, and that also means that every robot is able to purchase and equip a unique Saints Row skin. Yes, even Jeffrey the Skeleton has a Saints Row skin! All of these robot paint schemes are available at the Planet Saints store in the campaign. Operated by a mysterious figure who definitely isn’t Max, you’ll be able to trade in your hard-earned campaign medals for exclusive Saints Row skins like the ones shown above.

Giant Bomb gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvpzEcKrUd0

Direct Feed Games Gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdPQ22OylFg

No Goblin Devs Let’s Play via Twitch:
https://www.twitch.tv/deliciousbees/v/93374966

Social Media:
https://twitter.com/100ftrobotgolf
http://100ftrobotgolf.tumblr.com/
https://twitter.com/no_goblin
https://www.facebook.com/nogoblin/?fref=ts

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Seems to be flying under the radar somewhat, but genuinely looks quite fun. Looking forward to trying it out.

BTA

This game is so extremely my shit, and then literally every announcement since then (McElroys commentating! cool characters! CORGI SENTAI TEAM!) has just been even more entirely my shit. It was the happiest a press conference has made me in a long time. Definitely hyped to go through single player now and then play with friends in a couple weeks.

schaft0620

Seems to be flying under the radar somewhat, but genuinely looks quite fun. Looking forward to trying it out.

That kinda motivated me to make the OT especially when no one had it called last week. You don't even see it brought up that much in the VR circles which is odd because it's one of the few full fledged games and not a tech demo.

Briarios

I want it to be good -- I just don't know yet. I'll wait for some impressions from some of you to sway me. I just can't tell if it plays well or not ...

FHIZ

I want it to be good -- I just don't know yet. I'll wait for some impressions from some of you to sway me. I just can't tell if it plays well or not ...

Same boat. Watching footage I really can't get a proper read on this game.

BTA

I tried it at PAX East and enjoyed it, but as previously mentioned, I am very hyped. (Also, couldn't get a second player since friends had other things they were going to at the time I tried it, unfortunately.)

FHIZ

I tried it at PAX East and enjoyed it, but as previously mentioned, I am very hyped. (Also, couldn't get a second player since friends had other things they were going to at the time I tried it, unfortunately.)

How does it feel when you actually play it? Video just makes the movement seem sort of slow and clunky where I just imagine the controls being very slow to respond to input.

If you can appreciate the references to Eva and Gundam then I think the campaign is fun, in a ridiculous and silly anime parody kinda way, but I think the main meat of the experience is best found in a frantic 4 player real-time golf race with lasers and missiles and such.

On the other hand, going for a turn based 1 vs 1 match reminds me of old arcade golf games, which can be fun as well.

edit:
How does it feel when you actually play it? Video just makes the movement seem sort of slow and clunky where I just imagine the controls being very slow to respond to input.

Some of the mechs are clunkier than others depending on their mobility abilities, like a hover board or dash. All of them can fly and ground stomp to get around, but that can be a bit slow. Each robot has a different approach to the classic arcade golf interface. With simple aiming and power meter mechanics getting slight variations to fit with the motif of the mech and characters. Also some mechs have better environment destroying abilities, while others have better field mobility, allowing them to run up to the ball more quickly. I find the fast movement characters to matter more in a real time match, but for turn based it is really whatever swing interface you are most comfortable with.

Been looking forward to this since the announcement at PSX. But I really want to see some reviews before I jump in. I don't have a great idea in how the golfing works, with different meters and being able to destroy buildings and how that figures into the score and playing with others. I just need something to help make that clear. Also, how many courses? At $20, I'd hope for at least 5.

Been looking forward to this since the announcement at PSX. But I really want to see some reviews before I jump in. I don't have a great idea in how the golfing works, with different meters and being able to destroy buildings and how that figures into the score and playing with others. I just need something to help make that clear. Also, how many courses? At $20, I'd hope for at least 5.

The gameplay is very arcade like. As far as destroying buildings, you can do it to clear a path, but I have on at least one occasion used a laser beam to blast a chunk of building in to the path of another player's ball. Also, the McElroy's commentary will respond to actions like destroying environmental stuff, and they are a VERY enjoyable element of the game.

NateDrake

May post more footage tomorrow. It's an interesting arcade golf game. The best commentary I've heard after destroying a building was "That's okay...I heard that building was full of racists."

Can't wait to take part in the King's Game a good ol' game of Ball chess

kiss that egg

Having the Mcelroys involved made this an insta buy for me

Hasney

The VR mode sounds weird so I can't wait to try it. You're a dude on the robot rather than the robot itself.

Hasney

EDIT: So instead of a triple post, I'll just edit in some impressions.

It's a blast to play. Very simple, but there's several different type of strokes, powers and even a skateboarding robot. Greens and wind can be a little too hard to read, but other than that, it's a simple arcade golf game, which I love.

The campaign and commentary are genuinely funny. Now I just can't wait to play in VR.

Intro spoiler

Dub on an EfNet channel slayed me.

EDIT: So instead of a triple post, I'll just edit in some impressions.

It's a blast to play. Very simple, but there's several different type of strokes, powers and even a skateboarding robot. Greens and wind can be a little too hard to read, but other than that, it's a simple arcade golf game, which I love.

The campaign and commentary are genuinely funny. Now I just can't wait to play in VR.

Can you give us an idea of amount of content? How many ways to play? Different difficulties? Online gameplay? Different stroke modes? Various things like that.

schaft0620

Can you give us an idea of amount of content? How many ways to play? Different difficulties? Online gameplay? Different stroke modes? Various things like that.

A lot of that is in the OP and explained in the youtube videos. You should be able to watch Twitch streams today as well. All of the different golfers you can be are shown in the picture above, the secret characters are blacked out but there are:

13 Golfers
11 Robots
36 holes over 4 environments
Online play up to 4 people, 4 player local split screen
The Robots are customisable

I am at work all day today but will try to get more info when I get home. I live in EST and the game just became available a few hours ago here.

Hasney

So there's 36 holes and 11 characters, including a giant skeleton called "Good Ol' Jeffery'. Every character has an L1 move for quick destruction of buildings, like the Corgis summon a Dogsword, Aveline and Uncle have a skateboard to speed up movement that can also be launched at buildings/other players and a shouldercharge boost. Each of the characters fall into one of 4 shot types I've found so far:

1. Standard golf drive to judge power, then hook/slice
  2. Engine mode, where you have to balance L2 and R2 triggers to judge the power and one being off from the other gives hook and slice
  3. Two character meters where getting them close synchronises and doesn't have hook or draw
  4. Go to the target, which has three meters to stop, but it'll aim directly for where you target

Each of them have d-pad to control the spin before the shot.

You also charge up an R1 which can be a magent ball, exploding ball, air control, party ball (makes any player in its radius stop and dance) super bouncy or just more power.

Campaign is wonderfully dumb anime, but it seems short. I'm a few hours in and in a level called "The Final Tournament Part 1". There are medals to earn to unlock cosmetics though. There's a hole of fame mode which is a leaderboard mode and you play all 36 holes as quick as possible.

Options wise, you can either play Stroke play by taking turns, or real time and mess with each other. You can then pick if it's just first in the hole or ranked by the number of strokes instead. You can also choose if players dance after sinking, or can interfere once they've sank it. on stroke play, you can also set a timer on how long to take a shot.

Trying online now.

Sorry for not reading up enough ahead of time. I don't have time for streams now but I appreciate the details. I love golf games and I love wacky concepts so for $20, it should be a no brainer. I guess I'm waiting for a review to tell me if there is something that is "off".

Top Bottom