• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

100ft Robot Golf |OT| It's all In The Hips, It's All In The Hips

Megatron

What are the playable options for ps4 owners who havent bought into the vr scam hype? Can you use a move without vr? Or a regular controller?

Try landing on the submarine in the Trench level. Griffin's line afterward is pretty good.

Between the absolutely dead-on art style, fun gameplay and that golden McElroy commentary, hoo boy this feels like it's gonna be a good one.

those credits. wowwwww. that was....... a lot

and the final cutscene. also very, very much

how is this a game that was shown off at sony trade shows

schaft0620

Just beat the campaign in about 4 hours, could still go back and get more medals to unlock one or two more things. Fantastic story.

Online servers appear to be down?

BTA

I was dumb and wanted to check someone's voice actor so I went to the credits and: fuck, I'm a lil annoyed I didn't let myself hit that naturally because that's amazing; it lines up with something I saw on Twitter but still. I immediately exited out and I'm smiling.

EDIT: Ooor maybe I'm not annoyed since it was outright said on this page, and I'd rather have done what I did compared to just seeing it here!

oh it's not a bad way it's just like

amazingly in-jokey

I played through Roundabout (No Goblin's previous game) immediately before starting this and... like, I'm not very far into this, but I can't see how something can be more in-jokey than that. All the story stuff in that was basically an excuse to shove their friends into FMV scenes and then make in-jokes. It was great and I admire it a ton. So I'm looking forward to seeing what this game does too.

EDIT2: Holy shit, that first Project C mission. Holy shit. I should have seen that coming but I couldn't stop laughing.

I played through Roundabout (No Goblin's previous game) immediately before starting this and... like, I'm not very far into this, but I can't see how something can be more in-jokey than that. All the story stuff in that was basically an excuse to shove their friends into FMV scenes and then make in-jokes. It was great and I admire it a ton. So I'm looking forward to seeing what this game does too.

EDIT2: Holy shit, that first Project C mission. Holy shit. I should have seen that coming but I couldn't stop laughing.
These guys made Roundabout? Been meaning to get that for a while for more Kuru Kuru Kuruin goodness, after playing this I think I'm sold.

Mdk7

My wife is having a blast doing launch day promo art.

tumblr_oeteo4TsiE1qdk1ceo2_r1_1280.png

tumblr_oeu7a4CQYI1upgczao1_1280.jpg

Your wife did a GOOD job, considering these pics! :D

Radnom

Not too sure about this one. I played it for about an hour last night in single player.

I understand the gameplay reasons why you can't hassle someone who's trying to take a shot, but it feels really wrong to be a giant weaponised robot and not be able to attack another player. This is especially frustrating against the AI because there were basically no times where I was able to interact with them. They even appeared to teleport to the ball at times.

It doesn't feel like you're a big heavy robot, it feels like you're a regular sized robot and all the buildings are tiny, because everything feels weightless and floaty. It makes me wish it had some of the 3D Worms tech to be able to bust a hole through a mountain and do a trick shot through it, that'd be a good reason to be giant robots with weapons. As it is, it seems like a more regular golf game where you are able to destroy trees. I don't know what they tried internally during development, so maybe they already played around with things like more interactive obstacles to fight and found that they got annoying rather than adding anything, but it seems like the game concept is ripe to have some Godzilla monsters roaming around stealing balls, or at least weird minigolf obstacles. It's just weird to be giant robots with weapons and not be able to do anything with them.

Walking and jumping to follow your ball around the course works really well. I really love the idea of just trying to get the ball in the hole first rather than in the fewest shots. I imagine that works very well in multiplayer, a lot better than taking turns.

The anime art is very good, the character designs are spot on but the cutscenes that I saw weren't very good. They seemed to rely on the humour coming from the concept of being budget anime rather than from being genuinely funny on their own merits. The bad voice acting was kind of funny, but that joke wears off very quickly and it just becomes painful. Maybe it improves further in to the story. I'm looking forward to seeing the corgis.

I'm a fan of the McElroys but the commentary didn't really work very well. They spout something off just about every shot, sometimes even more often than that. The quips didn't always fit what actually happened in the game (non-sarcastic comments about "great drive" when it was actually a complete failure and didn't go anywhere), and the lines repeat incredibly often. The repeating wouldn't be so bad if they were generic "good drive", "ouch", "in the rough" type lines, but they're often jokes that are hit or miss in the first place, and when you hear them twice in one hole it's just incredibly lame. It would have been great for the more specific jokes/goofs to be limited to happen once per game session and to be spaced quite far apart with more generic lines taking the place after that. Even if that means later on in a session you don't get as many lines, it'd still a lot better than repeating jokes.

Do you unlock more commentators later? I couldn't find an option to swap. It'd be nice to be able to shuffle them or switch them up between maps to keep the lines from getting as stale. A slider in the options to make the quips less frequent would be welcomed too.

Speaking of options, it was annoying not being able to change volumes while in game. I had to quit from the game to the main menu to change the voice volume to be louder than the game because I couldn't hear the lines, then I had to replay some campaign levels because it didn't save my progress between each hole.

I get that it's a game made by a small team with a small budget. The concept is good and it has some good ideas. I think it could have been a lot better with some more time spent polishing the game feel though.

I'll probably give it another shot, especially if I can convince some friends to try the multiplayer mode. I think that'll be a lot more fun. Maybe it'll grow on me. Until then, it's a bit hard to recommend.

Brakke

Banned
Played a bit this afternoon, recruited the first two pilots in the campaign. Immediate impression is this game seriously lacks a tutorial. I couldn't tell if the goal was to get in the hole before your opponent or to shoot fewer strokes than your opponent. Also I have literally no clue what the superpowers you charge up do.

First the good. I was pleasantly surprised by the second robot, how he has a different stroke mechanism than the first guy. I'm looking forward to seeing the variations. Story and art are delightful already.

Man alive is this game on a shoestring budget though. The most egregious cheapness was in the campaign shop UI. There's a list of things you can buy and a "shelf" showing what those things are. But... there's no link between the two. Like highlighting an object on the list doesn't highlight the object it represents. And overall the game feels... weightless? Which isn't great for a game about big stompy robots. Except that aiming a shot is weighty as heck! I had one where it suggested a straight-ahead shot but I wanted to cut through a gap in a mountain. It took suuuuuuper long to swing the target the 90+ degrees over to the whacky shot I wanted to make.

In short, it really feels like a No Goblin game. Great concept, great heart, kind of messy execution. Will definitely stick with it through the campaign.

KalBalboa

Banned
I keep wanting to buy this but can help shaking the feeling this game needs a way to play with the Move controller.

Feels ripe for it, post VR launch.

Finished the campaign a day or two ago. All I can say is
Good Boy

I keep wanting to buy this but can help shaking the feeling this game needs a way to play with the Move controller.

Feels ripe for it, post VR launch.

Yeah, I was surprised that it didn't support the Move controller for swinging the club. Guess it doesn't mesh perfectly with their current swinging system, but I guess you could just have the player do the swing themselves after the current system determines the actual way the ball will travel.

Still looking out for more reviews and such. I haven't gotten a feeling for how good the actual golfing and moving the robots is. Definitely interested but with all of the VR coverage and tons of games out, it hasn't gotten much press at this point.

Brakke

Banned
Finished up the campaign last night. What a weird dumb delightful thing. Everything was inside jokes. Evangelion jokes, Giant Bomb Live Stream jokes, buncha public game developers doing voices, McElroys all. Seems like such a ridiculously narrow market to address, I hope it does ok for them.

The game is on sale in the PSN store for $14 for PS+ members. Any further thoughts a few months later? Was there ever any patches, like one to invert the Y axis when aiming?

The game is on sale in the PSN store for $14 for PS+ members. Any further thoughts a few months later? Was there ever any patches, like one to invert the Y axis when aiming?

Per someone on the PSN Winter Sale page, it was updated a few weeks after release. So I'm in for $14. Thanks!

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm having a tough time digging up details at the moment but I'm doubting Move support is included.

Still, glad to see Pro support.

Top Bottom