• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

100ft Robot Golf |OT| It's all In The Hips, It's All In The Hips

Hasney

Online is a bust right now, just stuck on waiting for more players. I'll wait for the US to unlock and people to get off work.

Only minor annoyance in the game so far is that you have to pull away from a wall before flying up above it or you just stick to the floor. That and after blowing up a building, pieces floating into your shot..... My fault there though.

One thing I'm not understanding - do you have a limited ability to knock down buildings and such? Seems like you could, in theory, take your time to just clear everything out of the way before hitting your shot. Is there an energy/time limit? When going against other players, it seems like the goal is to get the ball in the hole first, as opposed to the number of shots? Does that behoove you not to waste too much time messing around the environment?

Thanks everyone for the details!

Hasney

One thing I'm not understanding - do you have a limited ability to knock down buildings and such? Seems like you could, in theory, take your time to just clear everything out of the way before hitting your shot. Is there an energy/time limit? When going against other players, it seems like the goal is to get the ball in the hole first, as opposed to the number of shots? Does that behoove you not to waste too much time messing around the environment?

Thanks everyone for the details!

The weapons have cooldowns, but you can still stomp or hit them with your golf club. in stroke play, you have a timer to take your shot and in real time, you can change the rules, but it is usually first in the hole wins.

The weapons have cooldowns, but you can still stomp or hit them with your golf club. in stroke play, you have a timer to take your shot and in real time, you can change the rules, but it is usually first in the hole wins.

Got it, will be curious to see how strategies develop. Thanks for all the info!

muteki

Are there any enemy AI players in single player?

It just seems to me that the majority of the new/fun here is fucking with people's shots, and I could see me getting bored quick just clearing everything unopposed.

Hasney

Are there any enemy AI players in single player?

It just seems to me that the majority of the new/fun here is fucking with people's shots, and I could see me getting bored quick just clearing everything unopposed.

Yup, can add up to 3 and campaign has a mix of multiplayer and stroke play events.

Hopefully this turns out well. I played at PAX East this year and thought it was terrible, just sluggish and framey. Maybe it's been fixed who knows.

muteki

Yup, can add up to 3 and campaign has a mix of multiplayer and stroke play events.

That's good to hear. I'm not sure the humor or art is clicking with me, but sounds crazy as far as golf games go, which I enjoy from time to time.

schaft0620

Anything with customizable robots has my immediate attention!

But only 36 holes seems kind of sparse.....?

I feel the same way but watching the devs play they had a 36 hole list to make like a playlist from and it felt like more. I am thinking like Rocket League here, where there was only a few fields when the game came out.

Hasney

I feel the same way but watching the devs play they had a 36 hole list to make like a playlist from and it felt like more. I am thinking like Rocket League here, where there was only a few fields when the game came out.

Yeah, I look st them like racing tracks if we're playing realtime. Even if there's not many, there's so many ways to play them.

Also, there is a dedicated spot on the campaign map to hear a joke.

Mission spoilers:

I now have a 1,000,000 foot robot golf course in campaign and a bonus mission where you control 4 players all at once split screen and have to try and get the ball in for all of them... Kill me now.

EDIT 2: Credits sequence has that Lockdown song Giant Bomb use all the time. Awesome.

My wife is having a blast doing launch day promo art.

tumblr_oeteo4TsiE1qdk1ceo2_r1_1280.png

tumblr_oeu7a4CQYI1upgczao1_1280.jpg

Hasney

Got the campaign true ending and got a silver on that 4 player one controller mission. Gonna try the multiplayer again in about an hour.

suuuuper taken with the game so far. pretty much everything announced about it was right up my alley so i'm relieved i'm enjoying the gameplay in the campaign. writing and style are totally hitting the right notes for me which is pretty much as expected given i love roundabout and the mcelroys.

a few jankiness things here and there like some camerawork while putting but otherwise so far so good. looking forward to trying out multiplayer

These look AMAZING

Your wife is doing the art for this game?

She fucking nailed it, dude. Totally nailed the Zeta/ZZ Gundam era art style.

Thanks! She's always really proud when people say that. This is her first wide release game and she tried hard to stay true to her own look while also channeling Yasuhiko and other artists of that era.

Here is some of her prelim work.

Co0y7QLWYAANaiF.jpg

Cqpcu3vUsAAP8GG.jpg:large

They had great team of artists on the game.

I apologize if I get any of this wrong, but I believe...

My wife did the character art and face animations.
Charm Witch did the original character designs.
Hello Winter did the character body animations and the adorable credit animations.

While the amazing Doug Harvey did the mech designs.
Chris Vasquez and Logan Foster handling the modeling, rigging, and 3D animation.

Hasney

Anyone know what enabling powered Kaiju Defenses in settings does? I assumed I'd be attacked, but not noticing anything.

Decided to hold off on picking this up on the PS+ discount until I hear some impressions. Hope people are enjoying it.

Billfisto

Invert weirdo warning: this is yet another game this month that inexplicably just doesn't have an invert Y option.

I asked the devs on Twitter and they said they're patching it in.

Hasney

Decided to hold off on picking this up on the PS+ discount until I hear some impressions. Hope people are enjoying it.

Its a damn blast. Loving it.

Invert weirdo warning: this is yet another game this month that inexplicably just doesn't have an invert Y option.

Yeah, it's playable at least as there's very little aiming on the Y axis, but bugs me every time I shoot the laser.

I'm right there with you. Can't wait for it to get patched. It isn't terribly necessary for play in general, but if you want to get the most out of laser death beam blasting, you need to have that inverted Y axis.

Argh, that stuff drives me nuts. First Clustertruck and now this. Now I may hold off. It's just so hard for me to play without that.

PSqueak

Banned
holy shit, that corgitron robot is the funniest thing ever, the freaking crew with pompadour corgi and eyepatch corgi and all that is adorably funny,

schaft0620

I updated the OP to now show that the sale was per-order only and has expired. I was able to sneek home on lunch for a bit and played some single player solo holes and the commentary is hilarious, the game play is very enjoyable, hope to get some friends over soon.

Bummer, hadn't noticed the sale. I was holding off on picking which VR games I was going to get until the headset comes on Thursday.

(Figured I'd get this one regardless, so I'm fine with them getting full price from me.)

Top Bottom