• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

105k Switches sold in France, best console launch ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe so, it seems to be "Best Nintendo console launch", rather than just "console". Seems to have done spectacularly well in France, however.

I mean... That wasn't really the root of the question I was trying to ask. But reading OP, that part seems to be confirmed:

This is the best launch for Nintendo in France since the eighties. It is also the best launch of a console in France, between all the distributors, according to Nintendo.

Good stuff. Super interested in Zelda, but I can't quite justify the cost for the single game. If they announce a 3D pokemon game though, I might actually jump in.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Western 3rd party publishers are going to have some explaining to do with their investors for not having software available for the Switch' launch.

Not having anything is ridiculous. Shit like re7 and overwatch and at least one M rated shooter would have done fine at launch.

There's zero competition in so many genres.

Kolx

Why would it matter? The Switch was supply constrained too

Because then you can't use it to gauge which console has more demand at launch. Otherwise you'd think the Switch has more demand than PS4 or the Wii (it could very will be, but with all of them having constrained supply you can't say)

VAD

The fnac in my local train station was sold out yesterday if that is any indication. Congrats Big N, between the mobile launch and the Switch, that's an awesome rebound!

ZhugeEX said:
We know that France is 105k. UK is 80k. So that's 185k from those two countries alone

Japan is 330k

So that's 515k from those 3 countries
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/839136737624469504

Edit:

C6U5GppXMAAptdw.jpg:large

Blue is the 1st week, red is the 4 weeks after (except XBO which includes 5 weeks)
https://twitter.com/oscarlemaire/status/839139702817054721

That's really good.
And the marketing guy at NOF wasn't crazy?!?

The marketing for ths switch in france was very effective.

Like even watching news Tv channel i would see switch ads. They could have been more agressive but the public certainly knew that the switch was arriving in france.
Every outlet giving info had at least 1 article about the switch from my POV. Some had 2 or 3.

DOWN

Banned
Sounds like a great start. I'm determined not to skip another Nintendo gen after not jumping on board Wii or Wii U

Air

Banned
Looks like switch is doing good across the board. What a difference an attractive console with a clear USP and a great game can make

Owensboro

Right I see everyone saying that and of course that's technically true...but I mean I dont think the Switch would do anywhere near as well without Zelda. I think Zelda is a bigger factor for sales of the console than the console itself.

Or if not already at least very well could be for the next few months.

Well, of course. No system will ever do well without it's major launch title. That's like asking how the N64 would have been received if it didn't have Mario 64, or if the XBox didn't have Halo.

If it was just Zelda selling the thing then the Wii U would see a major sales spike as well (which it could, who knows at this point), but I feel like it's not only the unique aspects of the switch (home console + portability) but also the promised future (in that it actually has a future unlike the Wii U) that's selling it too. It's not just the single game, it's the game and the hardware.

ponziacs

Banned
Shouldn't the Switch have these high numbers? It's basically replacing a home and a portable console, the Wii U and the 3DS.

Sure. They'll just blame it on weak hardware, and that's Nintendo's fault, right?
The Wii (got third party support)was weak and it was a larger power difference between it and the PS3/360 compared to Switch to PS4/X1. Nintendo has made it very easy to port games, even some devs have said it's the easiest system ever. So, no there aren't excuses.

Flintty

All these numbers across the board are really good. Fingers crossed the success continues and ensures a good future for Nintendo!

zenspider

That's the distributors numbers, not sell-through at retail. More of a testament to better inital stock tham anything.
Am I reading this right? This is that Microsoft spin.

Air

Banned
Sure. They'll just blame it on weak hardware, and that's Nintendo's fault, right?

Nope. Strongest portable hardware out there and easy to port to. This is completely on third parties failing to see the potential in the device.

Edit: If some indies can get their game running on the platform in a week, third parties have no excuse.

I know the Sims franchise is huge in France too. How does Animal Cross do there?

New Leaf sold great like everywhere else and even Happy Home Designer sold decent (#7 for 2015).

Congrats to Nintendo for the performance, and for actually managing to gauge demand here for once, as it was easy to get one in stores at launch (not so much anymore, but still).

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
That's the distributors numbers, not sell-through at retail. More of a testament to better inital stock tham anything.
Am I reading this right? This is that Microsoft spin.

Yes you are. There is no spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom