• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

11.22.63 |OT| James Franco in Stephen King's JFK Time-Travel Miniseries

Status
Not open for further replies.

msv

Jake, in both the book and the TV series, goes just along with it. It's definitely one of the weaker links in the story.
Good to know that it's not a sign of things to come (or is it?). I can hang with it if that's the worst offense. Jake making some weird decisions, together with the premise, have me doubting the quality. Hopefully there won't be many more silly plot points.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Good to know that it's not a sign of things to come (or is it?). I can hang with it if that's the worst offense. Jake making some weird decisions, together with the premise, have me doubting the quality. Hopefully there won't be many more silly plot points.

It's the weakest aspect of the book, but one that I let slide. I always interpreted it as Jake being slightly depressed in the present, coming off the back of his divorce. There honestly isn't anything holding him back to present day, so why not. You lose two minutes of your real life, and get to go on an adventure.

The timeline of everything in the show is a bit moved up. I think things are accelerated by about 2 years, if I'm not mistaken. Without spoiling anything big, I remember the boom having more minor experimentation with changing the future, so more back and forth between the past and present before diving into the main goal. It's not a huge loss, especially in a TV show because it probably would have bogged down the first episode. I think they traded that for a more aggressive approach to time pushing back against change.

Balphon

It's the weakest aspect of the book, but one that I let slide. I always interpreted it as Jake being slightly depressed in the present, coming off the back of his divorce. There honestly isn't anything holding him back to present day, so why not. You lose two minutes of your real life, and get to go on an adventure.

The timeline of everything in the show is a bit moved up. I think things are accelerated by about 2 years, if I'm not mistaken. Without spoiling anything big, I remember the boom having more minor experimentation with changing the future, so more back and forth between the past and present before diving into the main goal. It's not a huge loss, especially in a TV show because it probably would have bogged down the first episode. I think they traded that for a more aggressive approach to time pushing back against change.

The book suffered a bit due to King's typical meandering narrative style, so speeding things up is probably for the best.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Just watched the pilot and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's an inyeresting different take on the usual time travel cliches.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Loved it.

Hate that it's on Hulu, if it was on Netflix I would be binge watching the shit out off it.

TheDanger

Banned
Just watched the pilot, that was so great, can't wait for the next episode. I seem to be one of the few that like James Franco around here.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 2 "The Kill Floor"

Thrown by the enormity of his goal, Jake decides the one thing he can do to make a real difference is save the family of his friend Harry Dunning. Harry's family was murdered in a small Kentucky town by Harry's out-of-control father, Frank. But does Jake have what it takes to kill a man and what are the consequences of violence, even against someone as dangerous as Frank?
- Promo for this week's episode.

Jb

I liked the episode overall but i felt like the climax wasn't quite as tense as it should have been.

strafer

DZ1IDIW.png

dem comics

MZoon

Neo Member
Ugh I'm not sure I like where this is going, will check the next episodes though. Also
please no more talking to mirrors

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Another great episode.

Wish this was on Netflix, seems like no one's paying attention to it since it's on Hulu.

MBison

What are some major book differences so far? Just curious from some book readers, it always interests me what the source material had that the show doesn't and vice versa.

BTails

I really wish I could watch this, as a huge fan of the book. But, to the best of my knowledge, there is NO WAY to watch Hulu in Canada (I'm not paying for a subscription AND a VPN!).

Tugatrix

What are some major book differences so far? Just curious from some book readers, it always interests me what the source material had that the show doesn't and vice versa.

not much as for now, except that guy in the end of the second episode finding out the truth and being set up as a side kick, he didn't find that much and never was a sidekick to jake

Also jake didn't knew Sadie until later in the story

Really wanting to see this, but I don't subscribe to any streaming services or know if this one is available to me.

I read part of the book, though, and liked it. I've also visited the area in which this was filmed.

He fails to save the mother and kids. Goes back to the portal, comes back and saves them properly

Aiii

So not worth it
This OT is only 2 pages? This show is damn good and no ones talking about it :(

Curse of being stuck on Hulu, once Hulu originals get more traction now that their overall quality is improving their OT's will get more buzz.

Part of it will be people waiting for the entire series to be online.

Loving it so far. Total Donnie Dario vibe from that kid in the bunny outfit.
Wouldn't be surprised if that was intentional nod to the movie.

Liking the series so far. Haven't read the book, so I'm going in blind. Really wish all the episodes were up at once, though I suppose the strategy is to get new people hooked for a couple months and hope they stay on.

I've only seen the first episode but a ton of stuff was different.

Some highlights:
Book starts in '58. Show '60.

Jake comes out of the portal in a much more remote area and we get a lot more world building and connection back to the future.

The yellow card man is different. He is bound to the portal area and cannot leave it.

Jake lives in Maine for quite a while. He goes to live in Florida before Texas.

As said previously, world building moments. Some of them are there but they're cut down and shortened (e.g. segregated bathrooms).

Jake saves Harry from his Dad twice in different ways (once as a test and again later) This is very early on - while he's in Maine. In the show it appears he heads to Kentucky to do it.

IIRC Jake rented his own house and escaped town before it burnt down. He only found out it was burnt down later.

Sadie isn't supposed to meet Jake until wayyyyyyy later.

Jake uses the name George Amberson in the book.

He does a lot more tests to see how the future is affected.

Al doesn't just walk in the door and come out with cancer in two minutes. Jake comes back a few days later and notices it.

Al's book doesn't get destroyed.
Some of the cuts were necessary. I hope they don't change too much later on because I loved the last fourth of the book.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I'm liking it so far. Read the book years ago so a few of the plot details have escaped my memory. The changes so far seem for the better. As much as I wanted to see Derry it kind of bogs down the pace a bit. Holden was a stand in obviously with the sideway glances from the people, the distrustful look in their eyes.

Chris R

Curse of being stuck on Hulu, once Hulu originals get more traction now that their overall quality is improving their OT's will get more buzz.

Part of it will be people waiting for the entire series to be online.

Yup, as soon as the last episode airs I'll get a subscription for a month to binge the show, not watching anything until then :(

Really enjoy this show. Some of the liberties they took in adapting this I'm not happy with but overall just glad we got this series.

MilkBeard

Pretty good first episode. I feel though, that the whole setup to the story was rushed and felt a bit forced.
However, once he went back in time, it started getting good. Real good. I'm down to continue. I don't have Hulu so I am at the mercy of friends and family.

Krowley

I'm liking this a lot so far, and I wish it was getting more buzz.

They've made some changes from the book, but they're not the sort of changes that really mess with the spirit of the story. They're adding some things, stretching some parts out. Obviously there will be some additional wrinkles and a few bits that won't be included, but overall it still feels a lot like reading the book.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 3 "Other Voices, Other Rooms"

Jake finds an unlikely ally in his quest in local drifter Bill Turcote. He gets a teaching job in a small town near Dallas and discovers romantic sparks with school librarian Sadie Dunhill. Jake constructs a double life - spying at night on Lee Harvey Oswald as the potential assassin within Jake builds. Trailing Oswald takes Jake into the dark side of Dallas, where he realizes Oswald may not be the only threat Kennedy will have to face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom