• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

11.22.63 |OT| James Franco in Stephen King's JFK Time-Travel Miniseries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Too much good tv. I almost forgot a new episode was going up today.

Book Chat and Show Speculation based on two episodes (and above synopsis)

It's interesting they have decided to not bring Jake back to the modern timeline yet after he has now made a bunch of big changes in the past. I am pretty sure the book made a return to modern day after the 1960s Harry Dunning stuff was dealt with. I think a glimpse at the current modern day would help the audience realise the scope of what Jake is capable of too.

I guess Jake going back means effectively scrapping a bunch of events from 2 or 3 episodes of the show, as when he arrives again everything is rewritten, but with some good editing they could go back to modern day, show it in detail, and jump to the right point in the past again without losing too many minutes of showtime redoing old plot points.

DeviantBoi

Haven't yet seen the show but loved the book.

How is it?

Does it feel like it's going to turn to shit like Under the Dome did?

Is it gonna have multiple seasons or is it gonna be a real miniseries?

Haven't yet seen the show but loved the book.

How is it?

Does it feel like it's going to turn to shit like Under the Dome did?

Is it gonna have multiple seasons or is it gonna be a real miniseries?

It's pretty good. Some book omissions but it all seems to work for a tv show.

I dont think it is possible for things to get as bad as UTD. This is closer to Haven if you want to compare to other King TV shows. (PS: I liked Haven)

It has to be a miniseries as they are already burning through book content. I dont see them writing additional content to continue this,

The actress that plays Sadie is so beautiful, damn. Didn't know Franco had them dance moves in him.
The actor playing Oswald is impressive, especially the last scene. Portrays how unstable and easy to manipulate he was.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That last scene was really unsettling, the actor totally sold it. They're nailing that aspect of him, a small man who wants to be big.

Book to TV Spoilers
They really blazed through a lot of the timeline, but I have to say that I really like the addition of Bill. Wasn't exactly sure how it would go over, but it's a good way to avoid having to listen to Jake talk to himself and narrate his thoughts the entire time. At least now he can share his secret with someone.

I wonder how this is going to be paced going forward since we still have 5 episodes to go. Seems like almost all of Jake's interactions with the high school kids was cut down. Which I understand, nobody would want to watch an entire episode about them doing a play.

Perfect casting on Sadie. Actress is absolutely breathtaking and extremely charming.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Did Harvey Lee Oswald have a speech impediment? He almost sounds mute in the show.

[edit]

Like I said last week, another great episode. I was a bit hesitant about Jake getting a partner but I like how it turned out.

jond76

Banned
Great episode. I love the subject and was really into the investigation of jfk years back. It's neat to see them take on all the theories.

Really digging it.

MBison

I've never read the book and just started episode three but I've seen enough time travel movies to suspect this... Can some book reader confirm/deny

does Bill turn out to be Chris Cooper? Heh

Grizzlyjin

I've never read the book and just started episode three but I've seen enough time travel movies to suspect this... Can some book reader confirm/deny

does Bill turn out to be Chris Cooper? Heh

Nope. But Bill's role in the TV show has been expanded. In the book, Jake is on his own during his investigation of Oswald. Bill's role in the story ends after Jake prevents the Dunning murder. So maybe there is an added twist for the show, but I don't think it would add much. Plus, I could have sworn Al mentions being a kid when Kennedy was shot.

Miker

I thought this episode was all over the place, and almost none of the scenes really clicked for me this week. I'm not a huge fan of Bill, and his presence in the narrative ranges from inoffensive (most of the time) to nonsensical. Just one example - the electronics guy mentions "good luck taping your wife" without a hint of irony, which is bizarre given that he was commissioned to do so by two guys who claim to be brothers - it's something that would've made more sense if it was just Jake. I also can't help but see southern American Ron Weasley.

I don't know how to feel about the show's handling of racism in the '60s. Not that I think that the scenes are necessarily /bad/, but they struck me as out of place, and knowing that they aren't in the book makes them stick out even more.

Oh, and the Jack Ruby scene was a little too Forrest-Gump-on-the-nose for me.

Otherwise, I think the guy who acts as Lee Harvey does a good job, but I have to wonder about his accent. Wasn't Lee Harvey supposed to have a southern accent due to being from New Orleans? I feel like the actor portraying him is speaking like how he - and I think most people - imagine a Russian expat would talk. I haven't heard any footage of the real Lee Harvey Oswald speaking, though, so maybe it is accurate?

MBison

Nope. But Bill's role in the TV show has been expanded. In the book, Jake is on his own during his investigation of Oswald. Bill's role in the story ends after Jake prevents the Dunning murder. So maybe there is an added twist for the show, but I don't think it would add much. Plus, I could have sworn Al mentions being a kid when Kennedy was shot.

ahhh haha. Yeah I've seen too many time travel movies not to at least suspect it. Would have been a cool loop.

Siegcram

So far, I like the show better than the book. Really surprising coming from the train wreck that was Under the Dome.

I should watch more stuff Franco's in.

Exis

The Dark Tower news got me to subscribe to Hulu for this show and holy hell is the quality good- I am a Franco fan and read the book.

Looking around Hulu though I have little that will keep me as a subscriber when this is over though.

Setzer

Just watched episode 3 tonight and loved it!

This show is 3 for 3 right now and enjoying it much more than I thought I would.

Jb

A bit safer I'd guess. The 'betting-scene' often seems shady as fuck. If you keep winning bets they'll probably bust your kneecaps, even if they can't prove you are cheating.

Right this is what happens in the book, and might still happen in the series latter on.

jond76

Banned
Regarding Oswald's accent.. There's video out there of him talking, the actor is fairly spot on, maybe just a touch exaggerated.

Also, he's there for years, so it makes sense that he'd want to do something that he loves to pass the time. Really loving this so far.

For some reason I forget that his partner existed. Am I misremembering? It's been a while since I read the book.

Edit: read the other posts and got my answer.

Also Sadie is ridiculously beautiful. Didn't imagine her like that, but I ain't complaining!

Froli

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 4 "The Eyes of Texas"

Jake and Bill's partnership starts to struggle as they discover more secrets surrounding the unpredictable Lee Harvey Oswald. The conspiracy involving Oswald deepens, while romance blooms for Jake and Sadie. But by becoming involved with an innocent bystander, has Jake placed his new love in danger?
- Promo for this week's episode.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Goddamn, that ending.

I gotta say, 11.22.63 is by far my favorite show on right now. It's what I look forward to the most in the week.

jwk94

I am so confused. I just got ot the part with Saide's husband and her half explanation. Was Sadie's husband into baby man stuff? Is that why he had a clothespin? Is this going to be explained later in the episode?

Sulik2

Started watching this, through episode 2 so far. Gotta say I am really impressed, read like a 1/4 sampler of the book one day and really should finish reading it. Its such an interesting premise. Though I will say
Not just going back to future after angering the bookie was dumb. He lost one day. Take the cash, go through the portal, come back and problem solved for a days worth of work.

Kinda show's how small Hulu's subscriber base is compared to Netflix or even HBO Go. Disappointing but not surprising really

Releasing this weekly is dumb as well. Being able to shotgun great shows adds a fever to discussions like this online that just doesn't happen with one episode a week.

barnone

why is this thread so short

Kinda show's how small Hulu's subscriber base is compared to Netflix or even HBO Go. Disappointing but not surprising really

Releasing this weekly is dumb as well. Being able to shotgun great shows adds a fever to discussions like this online that just doesn't happen with one episode a week.

Netflix might work better with this release schedule. I could fathom prolonged excitement doing it for the final season of an amazing show.

I am so confused. I just got ot the part with Saide's husband and her half explanation. Was Sadie's husband into baby man stuff? Is that why he had a clothespin? Is this going to be explained later in the episode?

Yeah same here. I didn't really get it at all..

Miker

I enjoyed this episode far more than the last one, and despite being a bit slow, it ends at a good place for episode 5 to really set things in motion. Again, however, I'm finding some of the new scenes that weren't in the book a bit silly, like the Godfather story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom