• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 Films To See In October (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Law Abiding Citizen looked good.

Why You Should Rent It: It feels a little too generic and familiar, but the fact that the script has been on the infamous blacklist and the talent involved (Gary Gray, Foxx, Butler) leans toward delivering a worthwhile thriller.

what's this?

BlueTsunami said:
Isn't The Road out this month?

Edit: MOTHERFUCK, they moved it to November?

Yeah :/ Thanksgiving now. I saw it at Toronto International Film Fest. I loved it, you can check out the review on my site. Also, Youth In Revolt would have been on here, but that got pushed to Jan 2010.

Charred Greyface said:
You should mention that Nick Hornby (High Fidelity, About a Boy) wrote the screenplay for An Education. That's piqued my interest and made it a must see.

Ahh yes! He was up on stage at TIFF, really smart guy. I loved About a Boy as well. Kinda funny Weitz's next film is coming out this month as well and it doesn't look that good. :lol

D4Danger said:
I thought Law Abiding Citizen looked good.

what's this?

A list of amazing scripts that come out each year, but haven't been developed yet. The Beaver (which is being made now, by Jodie Foster, starring Mel Gibson) was number one last year.

stupei

In order of my own personal interest:

1. Zombieland - going to see this one tonight, if all goes according to plan.
2. Antichrist
3. Toy Story & Toy Story 2 3D
4. The Invention of Lying
5. Where the Wild Things Are
6. A Serious Man
7. More Than a Game
8. Capitalism: A Love Story

Whip It and Amelia are both rentals, and I'm sure I'll rent a lot of the others as well. That's the plan, at least, but I might give in and see Amelia in the theaters. Huge, huge fan of both the real woman and Swank, but I've heard pretty negative buzz coming from early screenings, though maybe they've managed to fix some of that.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
DanielPlainview said:
A list of amazing scripts that come out each year, but haven't been developed yet. The Beaver (which is being made now, by Jodie Foster, starring Mel Gibson) was number one last year.

Is this online anyware?

I'm going to go see Couples Retreat with the wife. I'll probably try to check out Law Abiding Citizen and Where the Wild Thins Are as well.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ong Bak 2 is reportedly worse then the first? I've heard nothing but insane praise for it, calling it one of the most nutty over the top martial arts movies ever.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Suggestion: IMO, ditch the screencap for each movie in the "Avoid" section, especially if it's going to get as long as the "Watch" section. I would think the notion there should be that they don't deserve as much attention, so don't give them it. Just makes your OP unnecessarily long.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Word from Fantastic Fest was that the Vampire's Assistant was good for a kid's movie and people really liked John C. Reiley's character. I don't remember what I watched instead.

Sinatar said:
Ong Bak 2 is reportedly worse then the first? I've heard nothing but insane praise for it, calling it one of the most nutty over the top martial arts movies ever.

Well it's got a 40% on RT, but only 5 reviews. My Korean roommate, who saw it there a long time ago said it was complete trash.

AlternativeUlster said:
Word from Fantastic Fest was that the Vampire's Assistant was good for a kid's movie and people really liked John C. Reiley's character. I don't remember what I watched instead.

Sounds good, a couple reports I read said it didn't really mix the cheesy aspect well with the darker stuff. I'm still interested though.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Really want to see Afterschool, but it's only opening super limited. :\

Sinatar said:

I love Ong-Bak and Tom Yum Goong, but Jeeeesus, OB2 was excruciatingly bad.

Decado

Zombieland is the key release, but there are a few others I'll probably rent at some point, including Trick R Treat and Black Dynamite.

Solo said:
First thing for me is definitely Trick R Treat next week on BD.
Hell yes. Last time I checked it was outselling Twilight om Amazon. Hopefully the studios learn a lesson, but that's a ridiiculous assumption.

MNC said:
Black Dynamite, This is It and District 9. Yeah, D9 didn't screen for us till october.

Ouch. :/ That stinks.

I haven't seen Capitalism or the Toy Stories in 3D yet. Thinking about doing a double (triple?) feature this weekend.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
DanielPlainview said:
Yeah :/ Thanksgiving now. I saw it at Toronto International Film Fest. I loved it, you can check out the review on my site.

Isn't Nine, which I believe is also a Weinstein release, released on Thanksgiving as well? Do you think one of them will be moved?

teepo said:
capitalism has been out since september.

just letting you know....

That was a special limited release that was just a spur of the moment. I guess it kind of counts, but I consider this original date the actual release.

John Dunbar said:
Isn't Nine, which I believe is also a Weinstein release, released on Thanksgiving as well? Do you think one of them will be moved?

Yeah, I can see it definitely getting moved. I would think to Christmas. I imagine that date change will be announced soon.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Somebody come to NY and take me on a date to see Whip It and/or the Toy Story movies!

DanielPlainview said:
Hell yes. Last time I checked it was outselling Twilight om Amazon. Hopefully the studios learn a lesson, but that's a ridiiculous assumption.

The lesson that publicity surrounding the withholding of a movie helps build anticipation, no matter how shitty it actually is?

Cosmic Bus said:
The lesson that publicity surrounding the withholding of a movie helps build anticipation, no matter how shitty it actually is?

More that audiences are interested in GOOD horror movies that may not appeal to everyone, but aren't the same recycled garbage each year (look at Saw).

Solo

Cosmic Bus said:

I havent seen the movie yet, but if Im understanding this correctly, you may be the first person Ive seen that didnt love Trick R Treat.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
DanielPlainview said:
More that audiences are interested in GOOD horror movies that may not appeal to everyone, but aren't the same recycled garbage each year (look at Saw).

Trick r' Treat is as derivative as anything else, just that it culls from '80s sensibilities and paints a sanitized, glossy sheen over everything. It's clunky, unexciting and humorless, and feels mostly neutered.

Guled

JustHadToJoin said:
will watch saw, will enjoy it more than everything else on your list
well some people enjoy being rapped in the ass with a metal pipe, but thats not something you want to brag about either

Anth0ny

Watching the Toy Story double feature tonight. Already have tickets for This is It.

Funny how the only two movies I really want to see are only in theatres for two weeks. Quicker Blu Ray releases I guess :D

Cosmic Bus said:
Trick r' Treat is as derivative as anything else, just that it culls from '80s sensibilities and paints a sanitized, glossy sheen over everything. It's clunky, unexciting and humorless, and feels mostly neutered.

Oh man :/ I've got it on the Netflix queue, can't wait to watch the Blu-ray next week.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Why You Should Rent It: Reportedly far worse then it's predecessor, the film still contains enough action by Jaa to be a worthy watch.

Reported out of someone's ass.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I have Tuesday off so I'll go and see Toy Story during a quiet hour. Love that movie.

Also the UK finally gets Up this month. Feels quite odd since I saw it at a preview back in May.

Lots of good movies. I REALLY hope black dynamite is good.

I take offense to Boondock 2 being in the list to avoid. I loved the first. Also, Saw 6, love it or hate it, it explains it all. The 1st year over 6 years ago was quite the trip. Sure it loss some excitement from us all, but after coming this far, I want to know how it ends.

Blair

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:

DaxSlap.gif

Its a blast, check it out.

I rarely ever pay to sit in a theater, but I'm making an exception for Where the Wild Things Are.

So incredibly hyped I might actually go on release night and spit on anyone who talks.

First Ong Bak was a god awful movie, but the fighting was so awesome that you just completely ignored how shitty the rest of it was.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Avoid SAW on Halloween?
What is this, some kind of cruel joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom