• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 Films To See In October (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DanielPlainview said:
It's the only film I've seen since A Clockwork Orange that invoked the same feeling and direction. It's not as good of course, but the visual similarities are definitely there. Even the demented lead rings the same. You didn't see the similarity?

I know that they are obvious superficial similarities but Bronson has absolutely nothing to say. This wouldn't be a problem if the film was more fun, but it isn't. It's a mess.

Jtwo said:
Avoid SAW on Halloween?
What is this, some kind of cruel joke?

The cruel joke is Lionsgate pumping out shit each year and people going to see it in droves. Like I said, rent Trick 'r Treat. much better.

Tieno

Ricky Gervais linked to this catholic review of his movie "The Invention of Lying" on his blog,

Gervais, who co-wrote and co-directed with Matthew Robinson, launches an all-out, sneering assault on the foundations of religious faith such as has seldom if ever been seen in a mainstream film, despicably belittling core Judeo-Christian beliefs. Not only Catholics but believers of every stripe and, indeed, people of good will generally will be well-advised to shun this calculated cinematic insult.

The film contains pervasive blasphemy, some sexual humor and references, and a few rough and crude terms. The USCCB Office for Film & Broadcasting classification is O -- morally offensive. The Motion Picture Association of America rating is PG-13 -- parents strongly cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.

Ricky Gervais's blog
I do my last warm-up on Sunday for the tour. I'm sure it will piss off as many people as the film. Actually that's probably not true as my stand-up is classified 18 and the film is 12A. I suppose that's what makes the central theme so subversive. The film is a sweet Hollywood family rom-com; it just happens to be the first ever completely atheistic movie with no concessions. Enjoy it while you can. They won't show it in Heaven.

hehehe, can't wait!

tsott_cj_290709_6.jpg

I was actually surprised how much religion was dealt with in Invention of Lying, and how ridiculous the product placement was. The most insanely distracting perhaps ever.

bengraven

Damn, I just saw a link to the Vampire's Assistant trailer and I really feel ticked they moved up the release date by nearly 6 months.

It feels like they left it out there to die, but the trailer had this really good vibe to it. Started off a bit like an indie coming of age film, then went all Beetlejuice. I don't know, I think I'd like it.

blanky

district 9 is finally premiering here in amsterdam. have waited all this time to see, got my tickets on friday. Been a while since I went to the cinema, last time was Brothers Bloom.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It sort of got overlooked in one of the "scary movie" topics, but Ti West's House of the Devil is opening at the end of October and needs to be seen. Here's the trailer; Magnolia has it available via VOD right now, on Xbox Live or from Amazon's video service.

blanky said:
district 9 is finally premiering here in amsterdam. have waited all this time to see, got my tickets on friday. Been a while since I went to the cinema, last time was Brothers Bloom.

Got Brothers Bloom 2 days ago from Netflix, have watched it twice since then! one of the best of the year.

Cosmic Bus said:
It sort of got overlooked in one of the "scary movie" topics, but Ti West's House of the Devil is opening at the end of October and needs to be seen. Here's the trailer; Magnolia has it available via VOD right now, on Xbox Live or from Amazon's video service.

I was debating putting this on, but it looked like it may not actually get released. Is it that good?

The Experiment said:
Nailed it.

This year has been absolutely terrible for movies.

It has actually been a ton better than 2008. 2007 was a goldmine though.

We have Inglourious Basterds, District 9, Up, Brothers Bloom, Thirst, The Hangover, 500 Days of Summer, The Girlfriend Experience, Anvil, Drag Me To Hell, In The Loop, Observe and Report, Star Trek, Public Enemies, Funny People, Adventureland, Moon, The Hurt Locker, Away We Go, Zombieland, Paranormal Activity, Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, The Informant, A Serious Man

All top notch films. We also have all these coming up: Up In The Air (saw at TIFF, best film of the year), The Road, Avatar, Nine, Where The Wild Things Are, Precious, A Prophet, An Education, The Box, Broken Embrace, A Single Man, The Lovely Bones, The White Ribbon, Sherlock Holmes, The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, Ninja Assassin, Black Dynamite, Invictus.

Amazing year for film.

WedgeX

Banned
Only movie I'll be seeing this month is Where the Wild Things Are. Going to see it in IMAX! Everything else will have to wait for rentals.

I missed a lot of films that I wanted to see in theaters...but not this one.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Cosmic Bus said:

I talked to Ti for a bit at Fantastic Fest. He was there for the entire 8 days of the fest it seemed like. I guess he didn't have anything else better to do. I felt bad I didn't go see his movie. I think I saw Crazy Racer (which was pretty good) and Imagnirium of Doctor Parnassus instead (which was pretty medicore).

WedgeX said:
Only movie I'll be seeing this month is Where the Wild Things Are. Going to see it in IMAX! Everything else will have to wait for rentals.

I missed a lot of films that I wanted to see in theaters...but not this one.

I'll probably see it again in IMAX since my screening is just 35mm. Let me know how it is!

Couples Retreat has 10% on RottenTomatoes with 10 reviews

Ouch. :lol

"A prime contender for 2009's worst film"

I thought this would atleast be a fun romcom, guess not. It's interesting this is the only wide release this weekend. I wonder how it will fare.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
DanielPlainview said:
Couples Retreat has 10% on RottenTomatoes with 10 reviews

Ouch. :lol

"A prime contender for 2009's worst film"

I thought this would atleast be a fun romcom, guess not. It's interesting this is the only wide release this weekend. I wonder how it will fare.

It has too much star power to fail. I think it'll drop off sharply, but open at least decent.

Chris R

Dude, that list is shit. Half the movies you say to watch look horrible and half the ones you say to rent/stay away from look great :lol

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
rhfb said:
Dude, that list is shit. Half the movies you say to watch look horrible and half the ones you say to rent/stay away from look great :lol

Really? I think it's pretty spot on.

Chris R

msdstc said:
Really? I think it's pretty spot on.
Meh, different tastes then!

Amelia (Nair, Oct. 23rd) - Pass
Black Dynamite (Sanders, Oct. 16th) - Pass
New York, I Love You (Various, Oct. 16th) - Pass
Toy Story 3-D and Toy Story 2 3-D Double Feature (Lasseter, Oct. 2nd) -See
Antichrist (von Trier, Oct. 23rd) - Pass
The Invention of Lying (Gervais/Robinson, Oct. 2nd) -See
Capitalism: A Love Story (Moore, Oct. 2nd) - Pass
Bronson (Winding Refn, Oct. 9th) - Pass
An Education (Scherfig, Oct. 9th) - Pass
Zombieland (Fleischer, Oct. 2nd) -See
A Serious Man (Coens, Oct. 2nd) - Pass
Where the Wild Things Are (Jonze, Oct. 16th) - Pass

Saw VI (Greutert, Oct. 23rd) -See
The Stepfather (McCormick, Oct. 16th) - Pass

Trick 'r Treat (Dougherty, Oct. 6th) - Pass
Law Abiding Citizen (Gray, Oct. 16th) -See
Good Hair (Stelson, Oct. 9th) - Pass
Whip It! (Barrymore, Oct. 2nd) - Pass
The Private Lives of Pippa Lee (Miller, Oct. 23rd) - Pass
Astro Boy (Bowers, Oct. 23rd) - Pass
Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant (Weitz, Oct. 23rd) - Pass
Couples Retreat (Billingsley, Oct. 9th) -See
More Than A Game (Belman, Oct. 2nd) - Pass
Ong Bak 2: The Beginning (Jaa, Oct. 23rd) -Maybe
Gentlemen Broncos (Hess, Oct. 30th) - Pass
This Is It (Ortega, Oct. 30th) - Pass
The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day (Duffy, Oct. 30th) -See

But see, that is the best thing about opinions, everyone can have one, and nobody is ever wrong :lol

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
rhfb said:

But see, that is the best thing about opinions, everyone can have one, and nobody is ever wrong :lol

Wait... you think saw 6 looks great? and Law Abiding Citizen? I dunno I guess some of what you listed could be a good time, but seriously you think the other movies look shit and not Saw?!

You know, I never read Where the Wild Things Are when I was a kid (or, if I did, I don't remember it at all). In spite of this fact, I'm still extremely excited for the film because I think that it looks like it'll be a fantastic, fantastic movie, even without any nostalgia going for it. Spike Jonze is responsible for one of the best movies of last decade (Being John Malkovich) and one of the best movies this decade (Adaptation). He's a director that gets the benefit of the doubt automatically, even if his films look suspect (not that WTWTA does).

rhfb said:

Though, I really, REALLY disagree.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
You know, I never read Where the Wild Things Are when I was a kid (or, if I did, I don't remember it at all). In spite of this fact, I'm still extremely excited for the film because I think that it looks like it'll be a fantastic, fantastic movie, even without any nostalgia going for it. Spike Jonze is responsible for one of the best movies of last decade (Being John Malkovich) and one of the best movies this decade (Adaptation). He's a director that gets the benefit of the doubt automatically, even if his films look suspect (not that WTWTA does).

He definitely has a unique vision, and his take on WTWTA looks great.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
rhfb said:

Interestingly your sense of taste can still be regarded as very horrible. Unfortunately, for you, this cannot be fixed.

Chris R

msdstc said:
Wait... you think saw 6 looks great? and Law Abiding Citizen? I dunno I guess some of what you listed could be a good time, but seriously you think the other movies look shit and not Saw?!
Did I say they looked great? Hell no, I just said given the chance I'd see them as they are very likely to provide a good fun time for at least 90 mins :lol

Kusagari

rhfb said:

Trick 'r Treat a pass and Saw 6 a see? WTF is this?

shuyin_

Banned
rhfb said:

You are definitely wrong. The universe says so :p

Wow I saw An Education tonight and it blew me away. It felt like one of those timeless classic type movies. Everything was well done and Carey Mulligan deserves an Oscar for her performance.

I've got Trick R Treat coming to me on BD next week. Can't wait.

not sure where else to post this b/c there is no official thread and this movie doesn't deserve one, but I saw Law Abiding Citizen tonight. Next to Transformers 2 it was the most insulting, embarrassing, and horrendous film of 2009. I can't even fathom how this was on the "black list" for scripts. It just got worse and worse ever scene. I've never actually ran out of the theater when the credits hit, but for this film I did. Outside of a few cool shots it was terrible.

2 out of 10

Did anyone else see it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom