• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

120FPS Games - PS5, XBX, XBS

What FPS do you prefer?

• 30 FPS

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 60 FPS

Votes: 86 50.0%
  • 120 FPS

Votes: 72 41.9%
  • I care more about resolution than framerate

Votes: 13 7.6%

• Total voters

pasterpl

120FPS feature was something that both Sony and MS used in their marketing before the new console launched. Below is a list of all 120FPS games available across PS5, XBX, and XBS;

Playstation 5Xbox Series XXbox Series S
Borderlands 3Alien Isolation (via FPS Boost)Battle Chasers: Nightwar (via FPS Boost)
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold WarBattle Chasers: Nightwar (via FPS Boost)Battlefield 4 (via FPS Boost)
Destiny 2Battlefield 1 (via FPS Boost)Battlefield Hardline (via FPS Boost)
Devil May Cry 5 Special EditionBattlefield 4 (via FPS Boost)Call of Duty: Warzone
Dirt 5Battlefield 5 (via FPS BoostCrossCode
FortniteBattlefield Hardline (via FPS Boost)Descenders
Monster Boy and the Cursed KingdomBorderlands 3Dirt 5
The Nioh Collection (Nioh and Nioh 2)Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold WarDon't Starve: Giant Edition (via FPS Boost)
Rainbow Six SiegeCall of Duty: WarzoneExoMecha
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2CrossCodeFortnite
WRC 9DescendersGears 5 (multiplayer)
Destiny 2 (Crucible)Golf with your Friends (via FPS Boost)
Devil May Cry 5 Special EditionHalo Infinite (multiplayer)
Dirt 4 (via FPS Boost)Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Dirt 5Halo: Spartan Assault (via FPS Boost)
Don't Starve: Giant Edition (via FPS Boost)Hollowknight: Voidheart Edition (via FPS Boost)
ExoMechaHyperscape (via FPS Boost)
FortniteIsland Saver (via FPS Boost)
Gears 5 (multiplayer)Jydge
Golf with your Friends (via FPS Boost)King Oddball
Halo Infinite (multiplayer)Metal: Hellsinger
Halo: The Master Chief CollectionMetro 2033 Redux (via FPS Boost)
Halo: Spartan Assault (via FPS Boost)Metro: Last Light Redux (via FPS Boost)
Hollow Knight: Voidheart Edition (via FPS Boost)Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
Hyperscape (via FPS Boost)Moving Out (via FPS Boost)
Island Saver (via FPS Boost)My Friend Pedro (via FPS Boost)
JydgeNew Super Lucky's Tale (via FPS Boost)
King OddballOri and the Will of the Wisps
LEGO Marvel Superheroes (via FPS Boost)Orphan of the Machine
LEGO Marvel's Avengers (via FPS Boost)Overcooked 2! (via FPS Boost)
LEGO The Hobbit (via FPS Boost)Overwatch
Mad Max (via FPS Boost)Paladins (via FPS Boost)
Mass Effect Legendary EditionPlants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville (via FPS Boost)
Metro 2033 Redux (via FPS Boost)Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (via FPS Boost)
Metro: Last Light Redux (via FPS Boost)Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 (via FPS Boost)
Moving Out (via FPS Boost)Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid (via FPS Boost)
My Friend Pedro (via FPS Boost)Rainbow Six Siege
Metal: HellsingerRealm Royale (via FPS Boost)
Minecraft DungeonsRocket League
Mirror's Edge Catalyst (via FPS Boost)Rogue Company
Monster Boy and the Cursed KingdomSamurai Shodown
New Super Lucky's Tale (via FPS Boost)Second Extinction
Ori and the Will of the WispsSMITE (via FPS Boost)
Orphan of the MachineStar Wars Battlefront (via FPS Boost)
Overcooked 2! (via FPS Boost)Star Wars: Squadrons
OverwatchSuper Lucky's Tale (via FPS Boost)
Paladins (via FPS Boost)Superhot (via FPS Boost)
Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville (via FPS Boost)Superhot: Mind Control Delete
Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (via FPS Boost)The LEGO Movie Videogame (via FPS Boost)
Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 (via FPS Boost)The Falconeer
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid (via FPS Boost)The Touryst
Rainbow Six SiegeTitanfall 2 (via FPS Boost)
Realm Royale (via FPS Boost)Totally Reliable Delivery Service (via FPS Boost)
Rocket LeagueUnravel 2 (via FPS Boost)
Rogue CompanyUnruly Heroes (via FPS Boost)
Samurai ShodownUntitled Goose Game (via FPS Boost)
Sea of Thieves
Second Extinction
Star Wars Battlefront (via FPS Boost)
Star Wars Battlefront 2 (via FPS Boost)
Star Wars: Squadrons
SMITE (via FPS Boost)
Superhot (via FPS Boost)
Superhot: Mind Control Delete
Super Lucky's Tale (via FPS Boost)
The Gardens Between (via FPS Boost)
The Falconeer
The LEGO Movie Videogame (via FPS Boost)
The Touryst
Titanfall (via FPS Boost)
Titanfall 2 (via FPS Boost)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2
Totally Reliable Delivery Service (via FPS Boost)
Unravel 2 (via FPS Boost)
Unruly Heroes (via FPS Boost)
Untitled Goose Game (via FPS Boost)
WRC 9
Zombie Army 4

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
WPvL.gif

Qaloon

We need more on the PS5.

Could you imagine Ratchet and Clank at 120? Obviously, the design philosophy for such a game would not allow it.

I will be observing this relatively new feature in the console space closely.

Stuart360

It's a pretty transformative experience, those people looking for next gen well here it is. 120fps with VRR is next level.
Well i only play at 60fps on PC for 2 reasons, i'm a couch gamer and my tv is 60htz, and aiming for 60fps means i get a nice balance between framerate, settings,and resolution, without needing top of the line hardware.
For anyone with a 120htz tv, yeah 120fps would be the way to go.

GametimeUK

Let's just assume we are talking strictly framerate without discussing the sacrifices to reach said framerate then obviously the higher the better for me. 120fps is just simply better than 60fps.

On my PS5 however whilst gaming on a big screen I must say I prefer Borderlands 3 more on resolution mode as I prefer a framerate that is consistent and the image is much cleaner.

again there's too many variables because I'd rather play on a smaller screen such as a monitor in performance mode to maintain the perceived image quality and reach 120fps if that was an option too.

Stuart360

Because people don't care about 120 fps. Even in the PC space a very small amount of people are willing to sacrifice bells and whistles to get >60 fps.
Thats actually not true, hense why 1080p is still the most used resolution on PC. Even the likes of DrDisrespect and his NASA PC still plays mostly at 1080p because he wants the frames.
High refresh monitors are VERY widespread in the PC community.

Last edited:

Bergoglio

Because people don't care about 120 fps. Even in the PC space a very small amount of people are willing to sacrifice bells and whistles to get >60 fps.
Because they never played on a 144 hz monitor. This is a thing everyone should try at least once in their lifetime. Instead, they only elevate what Sony tells them to cheer: SSD. In the next few years, the frame rate will become more and more important for Sony, MS, even Nintendo.

Thats actually not true, hense why 1080p is still the most used resolution on PC. Even the likes of DrDisrespect and his NASA PC still plays mostly at 1080p because he wants the frames.
High refresh monitors are VERY widespread in the PC community.
1080p/60 monitors still dominate, even more so with TVs. Personally I prefer 1440p/144 but only really competitive gamers care about getting fps over 60. You sacrifice so much image quality at 1080p.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Lmao that is absolutely not true at all. 120 hz is the absolute minimum now for most pc gamers playing anything competitive. Most cases its any game. Even the most standard gaming laptop is 120hz/144hz.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
1080p/60 monitors still dominate, even more so with TVs. Personally I prefer 1440p/144 but only really competitive gamers care about getting fps over 60. You sacrifice so much image quality at 1080p.
Maybe in third world countries, or for an OAPs workstation.

You can get IPS, 1080p, 144hz panels, with freesync and with minimal G2G response times like the 24g2 and the EX2510 for £200 or less. Absolutely no one who is building a gaming rig or who knows what they are doing is using a £150 60fps monitor instead.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Now I have a XSX, I’m gonna try this.

Switching to OLED already made me dread booting a 30fps game, I can already imagine a taste of 120fps spoiling me like a king’s firstborn.

ANIMAL1975

Nice troll thread

why troll thread? It is literally a list comparing 120fps games availability across platforms
I can understand his feelings _ it's an unfair comparison when you have the Xbox BC titles in the same list _ but in the end it only shows that Ms is killing it with their BC program, boosting resolution and/or performance with their own work, absolutely fantastic!... and Sony should take note of this and improve their own service.

Because they never played on a 144 hz monitor. This is a thing everyone should try at least once in their lifetime. Instead, they only elevate what Sony tells them to cheer: SSD. In the next few years, the frame rate will become more and more important for Sony, MS, even Nintendo.
You had a good point in your reasoning but then had to shit the bed with the unnecessary and pointless warring _ 'instead they only elevate what Sony tells them to cheer:SSD' _ first of all never saw Sony championing only the SSD like you implying (and it's not the SSD, it's the all custom i/o complex hardware supported), they single it out the same way they single out the 3D tempest, the new performance and graphics capabilities (the 4k 120fps logo), the new OS features, etc.
and the people in here when cheering for the ps5 hardware is the same: if the subject is silence they cheer the cooling, if it's the sound they cheer the tempest, if it's performance they cheer the variable clocks customized cpu,
And the list goes on and on,... it's not 'all cheer the SSD' lol _ that only reads like the bullshit 'downplaying Sony ssd' propaganda that i thought it was already gone away.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

120hz is better but on consoles it goes at the cost of other things. SamSho and Super Lucky Tale feel great at 120 and still look fine since they aren't the most demanding games. But I typically didn't use it in DMCV because I think the IQ trade off is too big. But reverting to 60 isn't bad, not nearly as bad as going from 60 to 30. So I wouldn't say you're missing out. I think 60fps will be the target for quite some time. Its 30fps that needs to go. I haven't played anything at 30fps on Xbox and PS5 yet.

I voted I care about resolution more with a few caveats

* Especially when it's 1080p and can't be compared to rival console

** Not when a multiplat is 1080p on my machine and 4x on the other console

*** When AC unity was pegged back on my console for parity with the other I cared

**** Stopped caring in 2017 when the one X came out

***** Will care again next month when I cant compare R&C to anything else

30 fps is usually fine for me, as long as the framepacing is good and there is good motion blur etc (Horizon and TLOU2 on the PS4 are great examples)

For the kind of games I like, it's often OK by me! But unless they have to make big sacrifices to the graphic fidelity, 60 fps can be preferable though.

I can't imagine any situation where I personally would prefer 120 fps though. For me it's just irrelevant and a waste to go above 60 fps.

GuinGuin

Banned
Fuck me, I didn’t realise their were so few on ps5. Microsoft nailed their software and hardware this time. i do hope the real the rewards of their hard work, they deserve to sell a lot more series consoles than they did the Xbox one.

The vast majority are BC games. BC is great but it isn't going to sell new hardware.
120 fps is a milestone Sony cannot achieve as long as its studios still think about making games at 30-60 fps.

None of the games on that list are native Xbox Series X first party games. The one next gen exclusive released for Xbox Series X "The Medium" is 30fps. I don't think either Microsoft nor Sony will aim for 120fps in their new gen games.

cormack12

Gold Member
60 is fine given the tradeoffs imo. Need to see what it's likes in a year or two for tru next gen. I suspect it won't be worth it, but I hope the trend of focusing on frame rate for multiplayer continues even at the cost of visual fidelity.

keram

120FPS feature was something that both Sony and MS used in their marketing before the new console launched. Below is a list of all 120FPS games available across PS5, XBX, and XBS;

Borderlands 3Alien Isolation (via FPS Boost)Battle Chasers: Nightwar (via FPS Boost)
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold WarBattle Chasers: Nightwar (via FPS Boost)Battlefield 4 (via FPS Boost)
Devil May Cry 5 Special EditionBattlefield 4 (via FPS Boost)Call of Duty: Warzone
The Nioh Collection (Nioh and Nioh 2)Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold WarDon't Starve: Giant Edition (via FPS Boost)
Don't Starve: Giant Edition (via FPS Boost)Hollowknight: Voidheart Edition (via FPS Boost)
Hollow Knight: Voidheart Edition (via FPS Boost)Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
Mass Effect Legendary EditionPlants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville (via FPS Boost)
Metro 2033 Redux (via FPS Boost)Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (via FPS Boost)
Metro: Last Light Redux (via FPS Boost)Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 (via FPS Boost)
Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville (via FPS Boost)Superhot: Mind Control Delete
Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (via FPS Boost)The LEGO Movie Videogame (via FPS Boost)
Sea of Thieves
Second Extinction
SMITE (via FPS Boost)
Superhot (via FPS Boost)
The Falconeer
The Touryst
WRC 9
Zombie Army 4

Ok now I understand why the 12TF "power of dreams" is needed ...

Th5d0ai.jpg

Edit: removed double quote

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

Sea of Thieves
Second Extinction
SMITE (via FPS Boost)
Superhot (via FPS Boost)
The Falconeer
The Touryst
WRC 9
Zombie Army 4

This is why my Series X is hooked up to the HDMI 2.1 port I have set to 120 while the PS5 is connected to the 2.1 port I have set to DV for my Apple TV and BD player.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
120 fps is a milestone Sony cannot achieve as long as its studios still think about making games at 30-60 fps.
60 FPS is good enough. AAA games this generation that try to hit 120FPS are going to have major drawbacks visually

30 FPS is even good enough for me

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

120 fps is awesome and Im new to it but love it recently on pc with games like Crash 4.

My TV can only do 4K 120hz without HDR but my graphics card usually can't.

That being said I can do games like hallow knight in 4K 120fps and I think it looks jaw dropping.

I still had yet to try it on an FPS game.

Bergoglio

I think there's an important tradeoff with visuals when 120Hz is enabled in games. It's why I don't see any 1st trying to push visuals with it.
Not an entire game. Multiplayer, modding, different modes, maybe a DLC, yes it’s a good start.

Last edited:
Top Bottom