• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

120FPS Games - PS5, XBX, XBS

What FPS do you prefer?

• 30 FPS

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 60 FPS

Votes: 86 50.0%
  • 120 FPS

Votes: 72 41.9%
  • I care more about resolution than framerate

Votes: 13 7.6%

• Total voters

BigLee74

I will admit to never having experienced a game at 120fps. I’m not sure it would bring much to the table over 60fps though, and is probably not worth the graphical/resolution hit to obtain.

Having said that, 30fps is the pits, and always has been. It should never be the only option in all games going forward.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
All. Day. Long.

oRb8xgm.jpg

ZywyPL

Banned
5akcis.jpg

Love the butthurt and excuses in the thread. Truth hurts as always.

I personally prefer 4K60, the resolution drop and details loss is too big for me to justify 120FPS, especially that the controller's input-lag/deadzone makes the games not as responsive as on PC anyway.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I hate to tell but I prefer eye candy graphic than higher FPS. Yes 60/120 fps is phenomenal but if it means diminished return in graphic, no thanks. Uh the poll is just about resolution and FPS. Don't care about resolution in general if IQ is still good.

Last edited:

dcx4610

Control is a good game to test. You can easily switch between 30/60fps. The grafical enhancements with 30fps are minor but going 60fps changes everything. 30fps is such a smeary, gross mess. I love great graphics but I'll take a minor hit to get 60fps. Frame rate is a much bigger different to the overall experience and gameplay.

Try playing Super Mario Bros (NES) at 30fps.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
If you’re using your imagination then no. If you’ve played it you know it’s as next gen as anything else out right now. So it’s up there with DeS and MM RT.

scarface GIF
But I've got it and it's not though. It's nowhere near as good as either of them. It's not even close.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I hate to tell but I prefer eye candy graphic than higher FPS. Yes 60/120 fps is phenomenal but if it means diminished return in graphic, no thanks. Uh the poll is just about resolution and FPS. Don't care about resolution in general if IQ is still good.

To me its all about what game I am playing.

I will take 120fps at 1080p in a shooter all day over 4k 60 but in single player games crank those graphics

assurdum

Banned

I will take 120fps at 1080p in a shooter all day over 4k 60 but in single player games crank those graphics
Well I guess the genre it's all very important. But fortunately my eyes can tolerate 30 FPS without problems even after played at 60 FPS. It takes just some minute.

It probably would be the same case with me. Except I don't have a 120Hz screen so 60FPs would be my choice for competitive games. If I'm playing something like Ratchet then yes crank up those visuals. Although for Demon Souls I might make an exception and just stick with the 60FPs mode.

Anyways compared to last gen I'm very happy we are getting more options with the games.

Worse when your kids throw a toy at it breaking it less then 2 months after you bought it ….
I've had a no throwing anything in the living room rule for 16 years. I also have bought myself replacements for things they broke for their birthdays and Christmas. Sometimes it's quite expensive so it takes a few Christmas and birthdays.

elliot5

I do find it slightly strange the gimped Series S has more 120fps games than PS5.
because it has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with how Microsoft has tailored their OS/platform support and the FPS Boost program facilitating 120 FPS options.

elliot5

Even without that it had more. Which I still find strange
again, because of the OS thing. Which is why Rocket League and Overwatch offer them on Xbox via non-FPS boost but because of the Backwards Compatibility layer due to the OS/Platform design. No need for a complete Native port.

Fredrik

120hz hollow knight has been a treat. I didn't think it would make much of a difference but it has elevated my level of play in a tangible way.
Yeah it’s awesome. Try Ori and the Will of the Wisps as well. I’m a PC gamer too soo this shouldn’t excite me but it’s just something truly spectacular to see games at 120fps on the big TV in the living room. I hope they give the Forza Horizon games the fps boost love as well!

Last edited:

Roberts

I used to be OK with 30fps even when occasional game would be 60fps on older consoles. Ever since I got XSX, I’ve been playing 60fps games pretty much all the time and got so used to it that I can’t play 30fps anymore - it just feels wrong. Now, my C7 only supports 120 in 1080p but I had to see what the fuss is all about. I guess I’m one of those who doesn’t see a huge difference so it is not a crucial feature, but to dismiss it as something non-essential is totally wrong and stupid. For many people this is the most important next gen feature even when playing old games that way.

Old Empire.

Pretty much. We all know that Microsoft does BC better but it shouldn't be used to compare the systems power. So far I haven't seen a next gen game be 120FPs on the Series consoles and only 60FPs on the PS5.

120FPS is nice to have but looking at those games none of them really impress me. But 120FPs on these consoles isn't about graphics anyways.

Comparing the tech, the series X right now offering a more stable PC experience. PS5 struggling to upgrade games to what you expect from a new next gen experience. Jumps from 60 to 120 frames is an unfamiliar experience for console gamers.

Been playing 120 FPS games on Series X, BF1 and Gears 5 mostly, now I just started playing A Plague Tale, 30 FPS is unbearable. It's so bad I would quit playing the game if I didn't like it so much. I'm just hoping to get a 60 FPS option on every single game from now on, I don't think 30 FPS is acceptable anymore.

A Plague Tale is a very good game tho, would recommend to anyone.

geordiemp

No need to be bitter geordie, Gears 5 at 120fps looks better than 99% of games on the market. Ori is also one of the best looking games on the market, full stop.

Not bitter, just boring - static worlds, nothing moving, so little happening, or 5 or so enemies jump into view with same animations etc, all very predictable, we have all played these games for 10 years now,

Time for a change and to get busy on screen IMO. If you think its good, enjoy it.

Last edited:

kyoji

As a ballpark, Series S has 5x more games at 120 fps over PS5, and Series X about 7x more.

And Xbox's leads will grow too as more games come out that are cross gen and devs release boost patches.

PS5 has trouble doing 120 fps.
did you really pay 500 dollars to play a 120 fps last gen game on a 'next' gen console? lol weird flex but ok. I guess if i had nothing to play maybe a scenario like this i would cling to but ive been fortunate in my purchasing decisions.

BreakOut

Does Borderlands 3 still have the free upgrade from ps4 to ps5? Is there an end date in which you can upgrade for free?

itxaka

Defeatist
I don't notice the difference between 120fps and 60, I'm not sure why. I tried hollow knight and borderland's 3 and I really can't find a difference.

Pretty weird considering that I notice single frame drops when playing on PC at 60 so I expected to find a huge difference :(

did you really pay 500 dollars to play a 120 fps last gen game on a 'next' gen console? lol weird flex but ok. I guess if i had nothing to play maybe a scenario like this i would cling to but ive been fortunate in my purchasing decisions.
I pity everyone who only plays "next gen" games tbh. Imagine limiting yourself that much.

Top Bottom