• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

127 Hours | Dir: Danny Boyle | James Franco

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm waiting till I see it again to see if it has the same effect on me as it did last year, but to me Hours is Boyle's best after Days and Sunshine. Probably tied with Trainspotting for me.

threenote

Banned
Franco is incredible in this movie. I hated the directing and all that flashy shit. I also thought the ending was rushed, and pretty stupid.

Overall: 6.5/10

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
BertramCooper said:
This should have been a simple film. It wasn't.

Boyle went completely overboard, which made the film kind of a clusterfuck.

Franco gets an A. Boyle gets a C-.

Would it have really killed Boyle to give us just a few minutes of Ralston standing there, under the shadow, in absolute silence? Because that would have given the audience so much more of an understanding of what he was going through. It would have grounded us in the physical reality of the situation.
Boyle's ADD approach shows that he was clearly the wrong director for this material.

The saving grace is that Franco was tremendous.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
threenote said:
Franco is incredible in this movie. I hated the directing and all that flashy shit. I also thought the ending was rushed, and pretty stupid.

Overall: 6.5/10

The ending was dissapointing... Good idea with the song, lousy execution.

artist

Banned
BertramCooper said:
This should have been a simple film. It wasn't.

Boyle went completely overboard, which made the film kind of a clusterfuck.

Franco gets an A. Boyle gets a C-.
Opinions ..

J2 Cool

Just saw this yesterday, my theater finally decided to put it in the rotation at 4pm mid-day. Are theater only had 2 other people in it outside of our group of 4. Which was fine, the idea of people drinking from 32 ouncers while he conserved his water is too damn ridiculous.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I do agree Boyle was relying on old tricks a little too much. His style of shots and cutting works really well for a drug film like Trainspotting, seems stylistically on pint, but it seemed a little much in this at times if I was really thinking about it.

But I didn't think about it too much during the film. I thought Franco was terrific. The movie never really dragged. The amputation scene was also really well done. The guitar chord on that one nerve was really gruesome/effective. Just a hell of a scene, they didn't hold anything back there.

One question, with the masturbation scene we had a little debate. Do you think he couldn't afford to lose that energy that you would from masturbating, do you think he was planning to save it ala the piss from earlier, or do you think he wasn't thinking about either and just didn't want to lose himself to giving up - forgetting about his situation and surviving it?

Finally rewatched this on blu. Been about a year since I saw it.

It was still great, but not quite as good as my first impressions. Probably wouldn't champion it as best film of the year, but definitely a close second in front of Black Swan. I would now say TSN was my favourite film of last year.

Still, the final ten minutes absolutely destroyed me all over again in exactly the same place it did last time - where he finally sees people and is trying to yell for help and finally finds his voice. DAT SIGUR.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Scullibundo said:
Finally rewatched this on blu. Been about a year since I saw it.

It was still great, but not quite as good as my first impressions. Probably wouldn't champion it as best film of the year, but definitely a close second in front of Black Swan. I would now say TSN was my favourite film of last year.

Still, the final ten minutes absolutely destroyed me all over again in exactly the same place it did last time - where he finally sees people and is trying to yell for help and finally finds his voice. DAT SIGUR.

See I found the execution of that to be klunky. Festival is a ridiculously powerful/triumphant song, but it was placed wrong. Not to mention you could tell where he cut it to loop for a second time. The song is the perfect choice, just didn't fit as well with the shots.

JaskoX1

Banned
big ander said:
There are more ways to make a movie exciting than random pointless flashbacks and spastic showy editing.
Hey, you can't just have 2 hours of a guy sitting under a rock, can you?

big ander

JaskoX1 said:
Hey, you can't just have 2 hours of a guy sitting under a rock, can you?
Buried was 90 minutes of a guy in a coffin trying to get out, and in my opinion it worked pretty damn well. This was still good, but if it had been a little more grounded it could have been even more tense.

Meadows

Banned
LTTP, just watched it for the first time and didn't wanna make a new thread.

Generally really liked it and will say that Boyle did a really good job in general of keeping the movie moving and emotional when it was so static for so long. Didn't love all of the
flashbacks
but I guess you've gotta be a little inventive when you're in one place for an hour in a movie. I'd give him a B+ for his direction.

However the movie is clearly Franco's, his acting is sublime, emotional and basically every other positive adjective that one could throw at an actor. The make-up on him was great too, not too over the top but enough to show he had some
dehydration
. I'd give him an A.

Overall I'd give it an 8.5/10, really really excellent, almost the best movie of 2010, but the
flashbacks
scenes let it down somewhat. Still prefer Shutter Island and Social Network over it.

Oh and I'm a little bitch and asked my GF to tell me when the
amputation
scene was over. They dwelled on it WAY longer than I thought they would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom