• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 innocents get killed by American helicopter fire. On live TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Dram said:
If war isn't a game then why the hell would anyone play around near a military vehicle?

Sometimes I think God/Allah/etc should just hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and end task this entire planet.

When I saw this on the news yesterday, one of the first things that popped into my head was "Oh, great... here comes another multi-page, anti-Bush, anti-US thread on GAF."

Thanks for not disappointing. :D

FightyF

Banned
There's quite a bit of evidence concerning torture and killings done for leisurely purposes at Abu Ghraib. That said, it's not really a part of this discussion, nor a part of the American military culture.

But it's also obvious that there are many cases where soldiers were trigger happy, resulting in the deaths of innocents as well as allies (the situation in Afghanistan where an American pilot killed Canadian soldiers in training).

Innocent people die in many wars, and the invasion of Iraq was no exception. It's a needless war that will cause more hatred for the US, giving people around the world more reasons to hate the US as well. Here's a newsflash for some supporters of the war, this war isn't seen as a defensive war on the part of the US, it's seen as bullying. Images like this support that idea.

My point is that the Bush administration is digging this hole to be a whole lot deeper. Can you blame the soldiers for doing their job? Perhaps you can blame the Pentagon for a horribly planned and rushed invasion. But most definately you can blame the President for putting the soldiers and the American name on the line by throwing them unprepared into a dangerous and risky situation.

nitewulf

Goreomedy said:
Then you agree it is difficult to make that distinction?

not at all. you'd be an idiot to make that sort of a generalization. terrorist is a subset of the big set enemy.

terrorists are enemies, but not all enemies are terrorists.

lot of people hate america you know, they think america is utterly evil...hard to imagine, isnt it?

I say we take the middle of the road here. The US was doing a simple routine response to a disabled vehicle, basically what it should, but fucked up because it took out a couple innocents. Happens all the time.

I never see any of this shit watching Fox News. all you hear about is damage control for why Bush was awol during his National Guard service :(

nitewulf

Spike Spiegel said:
When I saw this on the news yesterday, one of the first things that popped into my head was "Oh, great... here comes another multi-page, anti-Bush, anti-US thread on GAF."

why are you so predictable? can america never do wrong? you are sort of an embarrassment to the original american ideals.

FightyF

Banned
The worst part is people not realizing that as a result of things like this, something bad may happen here.

Yes, shit happens, and then shit happens as an act of revenge.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
nitewulf said:
why are you so predictable? can america never do wrong? you are sort of an embarrassment to the original american ideals.

I think the consensus is actually that "Everyone fucked up."

Leon

America's situation right now in Iraq is strongly reminiscent of Israel's in Palestine.

In any case, I keep hearing that GAF is extremely liberal, as if it's a bad thing. Does this "criticism" come from the same half a dozen people in here who defend a US helicopter bombing a crowded area, killing 13 innocents?

Then I'd rather be liberal than a jaded asshole who condones murder.

BigGreenMat said:
I say we take the middle of the road here. The US was doing a simple routine response to a disabled vehicle, basically what it should, but fucked up because it took out a couple innocents. Happens all the time.
But it shouldn't happen all the time. And if it does, that doesn't make this event any more acceptable.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
"There was no warning not to be there, and definitely civilians and journalists will go to a place like this to see what has happened

Arabiya editor Nabil Khatib "

??? you mean a burning tank was not reason enough? dont know about you.. but most people i know dont go running into a burning building.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
quadriplegicjon said:
"There was no warning not to be there, and definitely civilians and journalists will go to a place like this to see what has happened

Arabiya editor Nabil Khatib "

??? you mean a burning tank was not reason enough? dont know about you.. but most people i know dont go running into a burning building.

Maybe not, but what about a burning wreck on the side of the road? Ever hear of gaper delay?

Particle Physicist

seismologist said:
I never see any of this shit watching Fox News. all you hear about is damage control for why Bush was awol during his National Guard service :(

stop watching FOX news then.. there are better news channels out there.

Particle Physicist

DarthWoo said:
Maybe not, but what about a burning wreck on the side of the road? Ever hear of gaper delay?

gaper delay? are you talking about people that slow down to see whats happening? i have never seen a group of people gathering around a burning vehicle.. or crashed vehicle... they may slow down when driving by.. but they never get out just to stand on the ruins of a horrible accident.. that being a warzone.. and a burning tank (with possible ammunition that might explode) . should have been warning enough.

note:: im not excusing the incident.. but it was really stupid of those who were there in the first place.

DarthWoo

quadriplegicjon said:
gaper delay? are you talking about people that slow down to see whats happening? i have never seen a group of people gathering around a burning vehicle.. or crashed vehicle... they may slow down when driving by.. but they never get out just to stand on the ruins of a horrible accident.. that being a warzone.. and a burning tank (with possible ammunition that might explode) . should have been warning enough.

note:: im not excusing the incident.. but it was really stupid of those who were there in the first place.

Not here anyway, but most of the car wrecks you see are out on a busy road. From what I was seeing in that clip, it was a relatively urban area, where a lot of the people may have little more interesting things to do. With the amount of military hardware in the area on a daily basis, it may as well have just been as though it was just a regular car wreck to them. Conversely, wouldn't you want to get a closer look if there was a Bradley sitting outside your domicile, burning or otherwise?

Phoenix

Poor poor call to authorize missile fire against a burning fighting vehicle sitting in a populated area. There is no excusing it, there is no 'well maybe' about it. This was a poor decision. There was absolutely no reason to use those munitions against that target given its location.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
BBC said:
Mr Khatib, who has asked for a more information from the US military, is particularly concerned that Mazen Tumeisi seemed to have been standing more than 50 metres from the wrecked Bradley.

Pretty fucked up. It just makes it worse when the military changes its story around.

Socreges

Banned
Mustang said:
FUCK YOU BUSH!

FUCK YOU BUSH!!

FUCK YOU BUSH!!!

Thought I would get that in so one of the liberals here would not have to do it. ;)

Sorry to seem a bit cold here but these media people should know the risk of being there.
I hate you and people like you.

Phoenix said:
Poor poor call to authorize missile fire against a burning fighting vehicle sitting in a populated area. There is no excusing it, there is no 'well maybe' about it. This was a poor decision. There was absolutely no reason to use those munitions against that target given its location.
Bang on. So careless.

Deg

Banned
Phoenix said:

who cares? :p

I havent heard about this 'news' before. Unfortunately this happens way too much. As times goes on the the US will carry on creating more enemies as a result but they obviously know this and are allowed to carry on. Its sad to see that civilians are the ones who suffer on 'all' sides.

Socreges

Banned
Deg said:
I havent heard about this 'news' before.
First off, why would you say 'news'? This happened yesterday and is a tragic event.

Secondly, have American networks not been covering this much? I saw it on Canadian television yesterday.

ge-man

Phoenix said:

I agree completely. I think Pimpwerx hit on the nail as well concerning the whole crap about security concerns. The millitary should be expecting these kinds of gatherings in ana urban war. If they don't, then things will only get worse from here on out.

DarthWoo

Socreges said:
First off, why would you say 'news'? This happened yesterday and is a tragic event.

Secondly, have American networks not been covering this much? I saw it on Canadian television yesterday.

I recall seeing something about it on the NBC Nightly News or somewhere else, but it was a fairly underplayed story at the time. As the backlash mounts, perhaps it will be reported on more.

Mustang

Banned
*Newsflash!*

Word coming from over the wires reports United States President George W. Bush as the trigger man on the assault that Killed 13 innocents in Iraq yesterday.

Screw you America.

Go to Hell George Bush.

*Another liberal/non american rant*

Deg

Banned
Mustang said:
*Newsflash!*

Word coming from over the wires reports United States President George W. Bush as the trigger man on the assault that Killed 13 innocents in Iraq yesterday.

Screw you America.

Go to Hell George Bush.

Sure. Keep trying to deny whats happening in the world.

Miburou

Mustang said:
*Newsflash!*

Screw you America.

Go to Hell George Bush.

You are a waste of oxygen.

Mustang said:
*Newsflash!*

Might as well have been. He used poor intelligence to lie his way into a fraudulent war with Iraq. You don't think the decision makers in a war carry blood on their hands?

Screw you America.

I love America.

Go to Hell George Bush.

Yeah, fuck Bush.

Where did I put my birkenstocks and pancho?

Dilbert

Mustang said:
*Newsflash!*

Screw you America.

Go to Hell George Bush.

Knock it off. If you want to spout off your own personal views, fine -- and by "fine," I mean "fine in the sense of it's your right," not, "fine in the sense of agreeing with any of it." But putting words in the mouths of others is out of bounds...not to mention the fact that I don't know anyone who would EVER say anything that stupid.

ghostface

Mustang said:
*Newsflash!*

Screw you America.

Go to Hell George Bush.

What's sad is that you're mentally deficient enought that even if it WAS Bushy directly behind the trigger, saying on the record that he hates Arabs and wants all of them to die in a horible death, you'd still try to defend the situation.

Oh, and I hope the people trying to excuse this event never shed a single tear over fallen American soldiers. After all, the bad guys (terrorists, insurgents, whatever you want to call them) shouldn't be blamed for lauching mortars/rpgs at them, those soldiers knew how dangerous Iraq would be in war. They're the idiots. Right? RIGHT?

SickBoy

Spike Spiegel said:

Of course, the irony here is the only guy to invoke Bush's name before this post was a guy who said it would be "what the liberals will do".

I'm sure a lot of the people in this thread are anti-Bush, but most were commenting on the incident rather than the president (and I'd say it was hardly overwhelmingly anti-US).

-SB

Che

Banned
The whole thread is a demonstation of how low some individuals can go to defend the goverment. Hey people close your eyes it's an anti-goverment thread! And to the "humans" who defended the soldiers in Abu Ghraib prison they obviously haven't watched the fotos of that bi**h and these motherefers smiling in front of dead bodies and tortured prisoners.

andthebeatgoeson

Goreomedy said:
Not excusing the use of a helicopter attack when such a crowd has gathered, but it was stupid to stand next to people who probably had opened fire on US recovery teams and were flying "enemy" flags.

That's like blaming people for dying when the WTC fell. They probably didn't think it was gonna happen. Why use a missle on a crowd of people? Was the helicopter in danger? This is what happens. We are at war in a country that doesn't want us there. These type of casualties should be expected and we have to suffer the consequences.

Che

Banned
Diablos said:
I can't believe no one cares about this. This shit should be played over and over on the news like Ivan is.

Pfft big deal. I can catalog over a hundrend big news that happened the past few years that the USA corporate networks haven't shown. Are you really surprised or just really angry?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Spike Spiegel said:

I still can't get over the whole GWB = US logic. And this is not something I really "blame" on Bush so much as I do the Pentagon. It's a pretty significant military fuck up, and frankly I find the defense department's scramble to try and justify and cover its own ass and contradicting VIDEO EVIDENCE to be pretty sickening.

From what I've watched of the news today (which wasn't very much), the big stories here seem to be the Michael Jackson trial and Oprah giving away a bunch of Pontiacs.

Celicar

Banned
i am very sad about this.

those poor, poor people. and it was all caught on tape.

was there no warning? the us should have warned those poor, innocent people. kids were killed too. i read that. kids. so sad.

Phoenix

skinnyrattler said:
That's like blaming people for dying when the WTC fell. They probably didn't think it was gonna happen. Why use a missle on a crowd of people? Was the helicopter in danger? This is what happens. We are at war in a country that doesn't want us there. These type of casualties should be expected and we have to suffer the consequences.

Sorry, I call bullshit on this one. There is a difference between responsible and irresponsible operational behavior. The helicopter wasn't under fire - it was firing on a US Bradley vehicle to prevent its contents from being looted. These were 'preventable' civillian casualties. It would be different if they were out in the middle of a firefight, but they weren't. The vehicle had been sitting there for some time, the gunships were called in to destroy the vehicle, and the vehicle was fired upon and destroyed in the midst of a KNOWN civillian populated area. There is NO excuse that can be given to condone this. A similar parallel would be a burning military vehicle sitting outside your school/workplace and people are looking at it (which people do) and then BAMN, a Maverick blows open the vehicle killing everyone in the immediate vacinity and injuring many others.

No, sorry - I understand unintentional casualties as much as the next person, but this is NOT one of those situations.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
skinnyrattler said:

Don't you fucking dare try to twist my statement into a condemnation of WTC victims.

It was stupid to congregate around a burning ammunition cache. And the fools who were waving Al qaeda flags potentially elevated/confused the situation.

Again, major fuckup by everyone involved. So to point the finger squarely at the US military is ignoring several contributing factors.

That we should never have gone is a given.

luxsol

Phoenix said:
The helicopter wasn't under fire - it was firing on a US Bradley vehicle to prevent its contents from being looted.
For all they knew the crew in the helicopter thought the bradley probably was being looted. People standing around it and poking at it with sticks from far away probably doesn't look much different than people trying to take equipment to a helicopter hundreds of yards away. It's a terrible fuck up, but these things happen.

I once remember watching reporters in white SUVs with "TV" marked ontop of the hoods with black tape being shot at by an A-10 (tank killer plane that shoots Coke bottle sized bullets) back during the Kosovo conflict. You could hear and see the bullets hitting the ground around the SUVs as they tried to get away. Seeing as how the plane couldn't see who they were (?) they leapt out of the SUVs and ran as far away as possible from their SUVs all while filming what was going on. The A-10 made a second pass, fired again but stopped suddenly and changed course. Luckily, no one from this incident was injured.

Reporters know exactly what kind of shit will happen to you if you're mistaken for the enemy or are in "hot zones." Civilians really don't, but I sure as hell have enough common sense NOT to go out where there was just a fire fight between soldiers. This is NOT like a car crash or common accident to be gawked at. It's sad that so many people were killed and injured but it's still an accident.

KingV

First of all based on the information available, clearly the Helicopter made a mistake, or I guess, if you're inclined to conspiracy the helicopter and co-pilot conspired to kill civilians. Regardless, the appropriate measures should be taken against the pilot.

However, standing on top of a burning military vehicle in a war torn country was an unwise decision. It's kind of like that American guy, I forget his name, that was captured and beheaded a few months ago, the red headed one. He wasn't associated with any group in Iraq, he just kind of went there to hang out travel and help out, like Kane from Kung Fu. He didn't deserve to be beheaded, but he made a monumentally stupid decision in going to Iraq by himself as an American. I don't blame him for his death, it was wrong, and you can't blame someone for being killed by somebody else, but he definitely contributed to his death by making a dumb decision that made it possible. A similar situation here.

Phoenix

luxsol said:
For all they knew the crew in the helicopter thought the bradley probably was being looted. People standing around it and poking at it with sticks from far away probably doesn't look much different than people trying to take equipment to a helicopter hundreds of yards away. It's a terrible fuck up, but these things happen.

Sorry, but the rules of engagement should be clear in these matters. If you are in an area where there are clearly civillians - why in God's name are you firing several hundred pounds of shaped high explosive charge? Heaven forbid you miss - which does happen all the time. There was no reason why taking that risk should have been permitted. Are we saying now that its worth risking the lives of an unknown number of Iraqi civillians to prevent POSSIBLE looting? What if someone just happened to be walking by? What if someone was checking to see if there were any survivors? What if someone was trying to put the fire out? No, sorry - this strike in a civillian population center against an already destroyed vehicle with no ground intel doesn't make any sense at all.

Preventing looting does not seem to be a justifiable risk of civillian lives - especially when you're talking about firing missiles/rockets. That's not responsible. We wouldn't do it here (when people steal tanks or make armored cars we don't call in F-16 strikes in the middle of a city), so how can it be possible to justify it there?

Reporters know exactly what kind of shit will happen to you if you're mistaken for the enemy or are in "hot zones." Civilians really don't, but I sure as hell have enough common sense NOT to go out where there was just a fire fight between soldiers. This is NOT like a car crash or common accident to be gawked at. It's sad that so many people were killed and injured but it's still an accident.

You're more wrong on this one. It IS fairly common at this point for Bradleys or HUMMVEEs to strike or be disabled from roadside munitions. Its common for airstrikes to leave burning vehicles around. It is NOT uncommon anymore.

Miburou

Mr Khatib, who has asked for a more information from the US military, is particularly concerned that Mazen Tumeisi seemed to have been standing more than 50 metres from the wrecked Bradley.

Just beause it needs repeating.

And do you guys really believe that in a war that has cost billions, the possible looting of a tank (and one that's still burning, no less) is such a big deal? Face it guys, it was a colossal fuck up. It was a reckless act with little regard for human life.

And for those saying "shit happens" or "it's war, what do you expect?", how would you have felt if someone said the same thing regarding the WTC victims? "Hey, what do you expect, the US is a superpower afterall".

Miburou said:
Just beause it needs repeating.

And do you guys really believe that in a war that has cost billions, the possible looting of a tank (and one that's still burning, no less) is such a big deal? Face it guys, it was a colossal fuck up. It was a reckless act with little regard for human life.

And for those saying "shit happens" or "it's war, what do you expect?", how would you have felt if someone said the same thing regarding the WTC victims? "Hey, what do you expect, the US is a superpower afterall".

_40065178_mazen203.jpg

It's just like that scene from "Control Room" where the Al Jazeera reporter gets bombed.

SKluck

Banned
Honestly, standard practice. Vehicles that are dismantled like that are destroyed so A) They can't steal our shit and B) They can't use our shit against us. I know they were just arabs, but if we were fighting the chinese, it is so they can't steal it and reverse engineer it or something of that sort.

And if they were recieving fire, shit, you can't just sit around, maybe someone might've had an RPG too. You never know. Were they supposed to run away?

Someone that close to a burning heap of a MILITARY VEHICLE is not just 'curious'. They plan on taking something or celebrating.

Sucks innocents died, but there wasn't a viable alternative course of action.

FightyF

Banned
^^^ Of course.

It's like putting a pit bull alone in a room with a baby. Sure, let's not blame the pitbull, it's in its nature to do what it would do, but who created that very disasterous situation to begin with?

This is why I'm criticizing the Bush Administration (and all those who allowed him to do what he wanted with the US Army, ie. Dems who didn't oppose it), and not the soldiers involved. He put the pitbull in there, and created the precarious situation to begin with. I never claimed that Bush pulled the trigger and killed these people. He just put them in the crosshairs, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom