• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13GB update for Dead Rising 3

Yagharek

Even if I hadn't already decided against buying an xbone or PS4 anytime soon, this would nearly be a killer blow for any hope I have in the foreseeable future of getting either.

I live in regional Australia (hi sweet billy), and have a 60GB monthly quota. Top d/l speeds here are about 6Mbps.

It takes in practice about a few hours to download, for example, a PS3 game on PSN+. But I don't do that all that often, and that is for a full game - not a patch.

Add to that the features of PS4/xbone being heavily cloud-focused and it makes no sense for me to get one now if patches this size become common, and games rely on low-latency connections to make things like gaikai worth the hassle.

I also cannot stand waiting a few hours for a game to be even playable from the disc. Even loading attempts for tapes on the C64 era machines never took that long to start.

Lewpy

Banned
I couldn't believe he works for MS, so I had to check out his twitter to make sure. Low and behold, he actually does works for MS... I can't help but find this comical.

This console is quite the calamity, I think. How do you regress in functionality from the prior gen when they set the standard with regards to updates??? Boggles the mind.

I'm curious tho, are you allowed to play as it installs the update?

What does Capcom updating their game have to do with Microsoft and the Xbox?? You don't even know what the update is for.

*Comes to GAF*

*Sees 13GB patch*

jdyhe3zlmm.gif

What in the fuck? Can you atleast play while the patch is downloading the background?

*Comes to GAF*

*Sees 13GB patch*

jdyhe3zlmm.gif

What in the fuck? Can you atleast play while the patch is downloading the background?

I want to know for sure as well, but I don't think you can...

Edit: I think it boots you out of the game when the download for the update has been prompted...

lol , i'm downloading Dishnored on Steam for 2 days now (11 GB), i hope i can finish the download tomorrow.

If that's the situation on XB1 then thats another reason not to buy it for me.

I need better internet but sometimes your choices are limited!

Lewpy

Banned
Is it capcoms job to develop the way the system handles updates and installs?

Like I said, you don't even know what the update is for. You are making assumptions about the running of the console when there is nothing to suggest that is the reason.

More than likely (as everyone has already pointed out) it's logically for dlc. The real problem is why are 'CAPCOM' forcing you to download this when it may not be required from the end user.

You can't. It will load to the main screen, but attempts to play will be met with a 'unable to load save' message...

That's some booty...

Like I said, you don't even know what the update is for. You are making assumptions about the running of the console when there is nothing to suggest that is the reason.

More than likely (as everyone has already pointed out) it's logically for dlc. The real problem is why are 'CAPCOM' forcing you to download this when it may not be required from the end user.

what are you talking about? It's most likely DLC, but who knows? Where are the patch notes?! Until we know what it is, lay off that argument and focus on what I stated. My real question leads to this... Why can't it download and install in the background??? Like I said, capcom didn't devise the way the system handles updates and installations... MS did. Is a 13 gig update that boots you from your game something Capcom is solely responsible for? If so, how can MS even allow such a thing when 30-45 mb updates were the norm last gen?

Parapraxis

So you are ignoring the extremely long installs then?

GavinGT

Banned

Probably because if you're playing co-op and only one person has the DLC, the other person still needs to be able to see the vehicle/weapon/whatever.

Lewpy

Banned
So you are ignoring the extremely long installs then?

No... we already know that the machine takes a while to update, that is nothing new. The point of the thread is why there is an update virtually twice the size of the game, it has nothing to do with the running of the console. If it was on the PS4 it may install a bit quicker, but the size of the update would still be the same.

MarkusRJR

Does the patch erase itself after being installed ir is it going to just waste more of my Xbone's hard drive? If games keep up like this I'm not going to have any space left on my hard drive in a year or so.

Plus, my 200gb cap is making me angry as fuck right now. Who the fuck thinks a 13gb patch is acceptable? :/

No... we already know that the machine takes a while to update, that is nothing new. The point of the thread is why there is an update virtually twice the size of the game, it has nothing to do with the running of the console. If it was on the PS4 it may install a bit quicker, but the size of the update would still be the same.

If it was on the ps4 it would update in the background as I played the game...

My on disk data is after install is 24.8gb. Which means parts of this 13gb file is a re-write, original disc install was around 19gb.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Huh. I know for sure I was able to play during the last update.

I don't think there's a set rule for this stuff. Some games let you, some don't, or it's based on the patch itself. I dunno about the other ones for this game but atleast this one won't let the save load until it finishes.

GavinGT

Banned
My on disk data is after install is 24.8gb. Which means parts of this 13gb file is a re-write, original disc install was around 19gb.

The install size after the first patch was about 24 GB, so most of this update is rewriting old stuff.

I wonder if the game world is just stored in one giant file, and they had no choice but to overwrite the entire thing.

Lewpy

Banned
If it was on the ps4 it would update in the background as I played the game...

Dude, you're missing the point of the discussion.

If you want to go pat yourself on the back for getting a PS4, then I'm sure there are 'literally' 100 other threads for that. But this is about why the update is so big in the first place.

Bundy

Banned
It's really weird how all Xbox owners seem to have crappy internet connections, but PlayStation owners have the best connections going.

Big patches appear for Xbox games "oh my god, what are they thinking. There goes my monthly cap..etc etc"

PSN+ has free games every month (some of which are huge) "PS+ is the best service ever, I love it"

Bandwidth and game download sizes never seem to get bitched about in the PSN thread.
What the......?

The install size after the first patch was about 24 GB, so most of this update is rewriting old stuff.

I wonder if the game world is just stored in one giant file, and they had no choice but to overwrite the entire thing.

So they coded the whole game in such a way, knowing the update process would be a pain in the ass for most people? Wouldn't be surprised, but I think that's a real shortsighted way of building a game and a disservice to the people who spend good money on said game.

DieH@rd

Banned
It's really weird how all Xbox owners seem to have crappy internet connections, but PlayStation owners have the best connections going.

Big patches appear for Xbox games "oh my god, what are they thinking. There goes my monthly cap..etc etc"

PSN+ has free games every month (some of which are huge) "PS+ is the best service ever, I love it"

Bandwidth and game download sizes never seem to get bitched about in the PSN thread.

tumblr_mq4ou32iW51qcga5ro1_500.gif

Dude, you're missing the point of the discussion.

If you want to go pat yourself on the back for getting a PS4, then I'm sure there are 'literally' 100 other threads for that. But this is about why the update is so big in the first place.

Pat myself on the back? Are you serious? Bringing a lot to the discussion, I see. I agree the update size is horrendous, but the fact that you have to sit and wait until its done downloading/installing is the real travesty. So I can't have a say in that? I think you're absolutely wrong on that front.

GlassCity

Banned
Man, been downloading this since 12:00. Almost 3 and a half hours now...It says it's ready to start but i'll just wait it out since it's right at the end now.

This is pretty sh!tty if they are doing mandatory updates like this if it don't even add anything to the game, for free anyway. A couple gigs is one thing, but 13 ? Wow

I feel for those who have caps. I use to have one and it sucked.

I'm looking forward to seeing impressions of the game post patch.

From reddit I saw that someone's game size increased by 1.5GB after the patch - that means that the remaining 11.5GB is patching already existing data.

Data of that size must either be:
a) Movies - why anyone would patch that unless there is a legal reason is beyond me.
b) Models and textures. This might be an optimisation and perhaps there'll be frame-rate fixes etc.

To be honest, all this is fine, we have to remember that this is a launch window game and that things were going to go wrong. We are early adopters at this point - and yeah, I hope that this isn't going to become the norm.

HOWEVER - this does highlight - as GAF has already said - the bigger problem that we need a means of being able to backup our patches/hard drive data. I'm not going to uninstall/reinstall DR3 at any point if that means downloading a 13GB patch to play it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So are they going to remaster the retail disks so the 13Gb patch is already on the disk or are users going to download a 13Gb patch day one when they purchase it?

Dire

You don't see the difference between optional free games you can download and mandatory downloading of 13GB of what may even be DLC that you will likely to have to pay even more money to actually get any use out of?

cormack12

Gold Member

That was my initial thought too. One big database file that maybe accounts for say, 9GB of the overall patch size.

I'm a bit confused - can you play while it downloads? You should be able to as all it's doing is copying a file to the HDD, surely installation is a manual process? It sounds as though you can't though which is a little strange....

GlassCity

Banned
That was my initial thought too. One big database file that maybe accounts for say, 9GB of the overall patch size.

I'm a bit confused - can you play while it downloads? You should be able to as all it's doing is copying a file to the HDD, surely installation is a manual process? It sounds as though you can't though which is a little strange....

I could have played long over an hour ago, so yes you can play while it downloads, but i didn't feel like playing, was watching tv so i just let it dl. I haven't played DR in almost a week and i was getting that itch, so i'm glad i seen this thread.

I would have been horrified if i actually went to sit down and play this one day haha.

You want to play NOW ? Nope!

Yagharek

Dial down the victim complex. PS3 was rightly criticised for shit download speeds, update processes and the delays it caused, especially in light of the quick process of a 360 title update.

... maybe because that data actually counts towards monthly data caps.

I can only speak for PS3 here (not 4), but PSN+ can be set to download when you aren't playing, and unlike patches, free game downloads dont prevent you from playing the game as a mandatory patch does.

They got bitched about all the time during Little Big Planet's Update Reign of Terror.

Question: are you suffering amnesia, state_vector_collapse?

I just popped my DR3 disc in and it's already downloaded 60% whilst the console was on standby.

Really sucks for you guys in America with data caps and such. Here in the UK we seem to be really lucky as most providers don't have data caps, but choose to slow down your connection at high traffic times.

When is the first DLC pack released?

GlassCity

Banned
I just popped my DR3 disc in and it's already downloaded 60% whilst the console was on standby.

Really sucks for you guys in America with data caps and such. Here in the UK we seem to be really lucky as most providers don't have data caps, but choose to slow down your connection at high traffic times.

When is the first DLC pack released?

Pretty sure it's the 21st of this month but i could be wrong. I seen that last month when they delayed the dlc, since then i've heard nothing.

Alienous

Everyone gets to store the DLC contents in their hard-drives, but still have to pay for it, because co-op methinks.

That's terrible.

Top Bottom