• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13GB update for Dead Rising 3

Are their patch files? You shouldn't be forced to download dlc. I'd be pissed if I had to download a bunch of Borderlands 2 dlc knowing I had no intention of buying.

You being serious?
Reason I ask is that's what the Borderlands 2 compatibility packs were.

Please download this FREE compatibility pack to allow for co-op play. without this pack there may be differences in the Host & Co-op players game due to Addon releases, so all users are encouraged to download this pack before attempting co-op play. If you are experiencing issues with co-op, please redownload this pack and have all other players do so as well.

just uninstall when you finish the game.then if one day you want to play reinstall. 500 gb wont be an issue that way.
Thats the only option at this point and time right? I thought the Xbone didn't let you uninstall or manage your own disk space?

And say you decide to do that, to uninstall Dead Rising 3 for instance, if and when you go back later to reinstall it, will you need to reinstall the core game as well as all of the updates? Or will it be one reasonably sized download?

So for this patch in particular - what's the deal? Is this a mandatory patch or not? Are you asked if you want to download it, and can you just say no and keep playing?

ShdwDrake

Banned
Thats the only option at this point and time right? I thought the Xbone didn't let you uninstall or amange your own disk space?

And say you decide to do that, to uninstall Dead Rising 3 for instance, if and when you go back later to reinstall it, will you need to reinstall the core game as well as all of the updates? Or will it be one reasonably sized download?

So for this patch in particular - what's the deal? Is this a mandatory patch or not? Are you asked if you want to download it, and can you just say no and keep playing?

You can not download it but you won't be able to use XBL while playing the game.

DainBramage

Neo Member
That is insane! Are they making everyone download dlc (whether they will buy it or not) or is it really a patch? 13 Gb is insane even though I have fast internet without a cap, this just seems wrong.

mechphree

You being serious?
Reason I ask is that's what the Borderlands 2 compatibility packs were.

I played borderlands 2 co-op and it never "forced" me to download dlc. If I didn't have dlc downloaded and some one else did it just wouldn't let me play in their game. It never jumped to main menu and made me download it though and if I didn't lock me out of the game.

GavinGT

Banned
Thats the only option at this point and time right? I thought the Xbone didn't let you uninstall or amange your own disk space?

You can uninstall games and apps. It also tells you how much space each takes up. It just doesn't tell you how much overall HDD space is filled.

Sure it let's me load the game at 67%... then it says "Unable to load save file. Please wait for install to complete."

Boy there really isn't any info on the dashboard on what you're auto downloading is there?

BigDug13

I'm on 50mb connection and it seem to take ten minutes for one percent. SMH.

You mean the maximum possible connection your ISP provides is not necessarily what Xbox Live will provide you for download speed? So what about all those people claiming that this patch is a 15 minute download?

BigDug13

You can uninstall games and apps. It also tells you how much space each takes up. It just doesn't tell you how much overall HDD space is filled.

Why not? What is MS afraid of here? Won't the internet let you know exactly how much space you can expect to have? Is this some sort of "hiding behind lack of info" situation?

Withnail

As pointed out this is almost certainly DLC, which is the reason PS3 had huge patches too.

Strange how MS seems to have adopted some of the PS3 'features' Xbox fans were most critical of.

leadbelly

Banned
That is insane! Are they making everyone download dlc (whether they will buy it or not) or is it really a patch? 13 Gb is insane even though I have fast internet without a cap, this just seems wrong.

I think Sleeping Dogs used to do this. It used to piss me off no end.

Persona7

Banned
You mean the maximum possible connection your ISP provides is not necessarily what Xbox Live will provide you for download speed? So what about all those people claiming that this patch is a 15 minute download?

For some people it can be a 15 minute download. Depends on the CDN near them and various other factors.

It is the same reason you can see a thread full of people complaining about slow PSN speeds and then another one with everyone saying they have no speed issues.

MCD

Why not? What is MS afraid of here? Won't the internet let you know exactly how much space you can expect to have? Is this some sort of "hiding behind lack of info" situation?

They don't have a file manager ready on the OS.

Please understand.

Hmm, the update doesn't keep update if I put my Xbox into Standby mode? I thought that was a feature, or is my brain just inventing obvious features that apparently aren't there?

BigDug13

For some people it can be a 15 minute download. Depends on the CDN near them and various other factors.

It is the same reason you can see a thread full of people complaining about slow PSN speeds and then another one with everyone saying they have no speed issues.

I have serious doubts about anyone getting the 115 mbps speed from MS on their downloads. It sounds to me like someone doing speed check on their ISP and then doing the math to claim that they will receive their game downloads in that many minutes, not factoring in the fact that MS won't give you your entire ISP worth of bandwidth on your downloads from their servers.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I have serious doubts about anyone getting the 115 mbps speed from MS on their downloads. It sounds to me like someone doing speed check on their ISP and then doing the math to claim that they will receive their game downloads in that many minutes, not factoring in the fact that MS won't give you your entire ISP worth of bandwidth on your downloads from their servers.

It hits a playable point before the download is finished.

BigDug13

It hits a playable point before the download is finished.

Ok cool, but that's not what people were saying. They were saying shit like "13GB, so 15 minutes for me, that's totally cool" and I'm calling BS on those statements that they will get 13GB from MS in 15 minutes. I don't care what connection speed your speedtest shows, that's now how fast MS will be allowing you to download you updates.

Papercuts

Ok cool, but that's not what people were saying. They were saying shit like "13GB, so 15 minutes for me, that's totally cool" and I'm calling BS on those statements that they will get 13GB from MS in 15 minutes. I don't care what connection speed your speedtest shows, that's now how fast MS will be allowing you to download you updates.

Woops, nevermind then. I see what you mean, thought it was about something different.

Is 13GB really that much? I probably use that much traffic every day.

It's a lot to force on everyone, yea. Same with how much of a shock anyone going DD only is in for as a lot of games are going to be ~50GB. People who don't want that can go for disks, but giant updates like this still screw them.

BigDug13

Is 13GB really that much? I probably use that much traffic every day.

Do you want game updates to routinely expect 13GB updates before you can play the game, especially games that kick you out of whatever you're currently doing in-game in order to download the update?

malfcn

Wuuuut.

"Unable to load save file. Please wait for install to complete."

I started this download/install about 2.5 hours ago.
And I have 20Mb downstream.

Papercuts

Wuuuut.

"Unable to load save file. Please wait for install to complete."

I started this download/install about 2.5 hours ago.
And I have 20Mb downstream.

Lol, I was gonna post this too. Looks like even if it's ready to play you can't actually load a save until it finishes.

Capcom pls.

xBuTcHeRx

I knew this was coming months before the next gen, almost scary. Data caps are gonna fuck lotta ppl over. And the net neutrality debacle is gonna make everyone's use of internet of the future even scarier.

Mattias

Banned
Do you want game updates to routinely expect 13GB updates before you can play the game, especially games that kick you out of whatever you're currently doing in-game in order to download the update?

I guess thats why they have standby mode to download updates while you are not using the console.

I seems a bit big though for a update.

BigDug13

I guess thats why they have standby mode to download updates while you are not using the console.

I seems a bit big though for a update.

My mom gets 15GB per month. I guess some people need to turn off autoupdates if these are the expected update sizes.

Sojgat

odd, I havent been prompted for this update yet

tumblr_lkknzjN2Ao1qf186f.png

You are already update.

A lot of games still patch in the DLC once you buy it. Ease aside they should really only be doing it if it affects multiplayer.

Hahaha, Microsoft employees just don't learn do they

I couldn't believe he works for MS, so I had to check out his twitter to make sure. Low and behold, he actually does works for MS... I can't help but find this comical.

This console is quite the calamity, I think. How do you regress in functionality from the prior gen when they set the standard with regards to updates??? Boggles the mind.

I'm curious tho, are you allowed to play as it installs the update?

Top Bottom