• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14 children and one teacher dead in Texas school shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Well here we go again. Let's go through the same routine.

1. Ban gun/can't ban guns

2. President makes speech

3. Mental health is important Bla Bla Bla

4. Point out other nations stats for murder ah sure we're not as bad.

5. Republican and Democrats can't make a decision.

6. People in other countries should mind their own business. Include england knife crime. Point out random stats again or something to ignore the topic

7. Funerals held some political points made by someone in government

8. Slowly fading out of the news.

9. Back to talking about the president.

10. Absolutely nothing was done and we wait for another mass shooting to repeat the steps over and over.

Sadly nothing will be done America has been here well over 200 times and it will never be resolved. Rip to all those who lost their lives. Those families will never get over this it's truly sad

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
We did the same in Australia, after the Port Arthur massacre. Gun crime here is extremely rare, and most often limited to within the underworld elements here as a result.

Here’s a classic video from John Oliver on gun control and Australian gun laws:

That is amazing, I hope to god, that Philip is an actor though. :)

GreatnessRD

I feel so bad for those babies and that teacher. They did not deserve that. Condolences to the families and friends of the loss ones. Hope that piece of trash burns in the deepest part of hell.

BigBooper

How many more school shootings will America need till they finally pull their finger out and ban guns?

We had ONE school shooting in UK and we banned guns and haven't had a single one since.

& before someone comes at me with their right to bare arms, that was written when everyone was using single shot muskets, what people are not using now.

I'll probably get the usual stupid tag, but I can defend myself with a gun, you wouldn't need to, if no one else had a gun :l

This is genuinely so sad when you think about all the families torn apart and devastated by this, no one should lose a child. :(
You also had a man arrested for jokingly making his dog salute like a nazi.

Cyberpunkd

Same reason you apply the instructiond from a 1700 year old book.
It’s not the same. If the instruction makes sense you use it. America’s fun laws were a product of their age, designed to give ranchers défense against roaming bandits. The amendement regarding guns doesn’t make sense anymore.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Horrible news today, while my kid was in grade school. Here where I live, they kicked cops out of schools, because all cops are bad apparently. We could ban all guns tomorrow and they would not go away over night. If you could magically get rid of all guns, you would get rid of shootings, not killing. To be someone who wants to kill children is not going to go away with access to guns removed. If this monster was not able to get a gun, he would not stop there. He would have killed some other way. Sad but true. The instant blaming of guns is a distraction from the real problem. The problem is someone feels that killing school children is even an option. And since we live in a country where people want to kill children, we need to protect them. And wishing guns away and blaming guns and demanding gun control will seriously not fix this problem. In the short term, the easiest solution is armed guards at all schools. Most schools have already made security changes, like a single point of entry. Add an armed guard at that entrance. It will deter, slow down, or simply stop an assailant. Long term is actually doing something about mental illness in this country. We are pretty much making more and more people mentally ill every year, and these things will keep happening because of that. We send billions of dollars to other countries and let our own country go to shit.

I really do wish there was less gun violence, but it is intertwined in our society. Mental illness, hopelessness, gangs, cartels, etc. It is not one thing that is causing this. It is telling that only one thing gets the blame every single time. It is a broken record at this point.

*sigh* yes... yes he probably would however do you know... its pretty hard to kill 15+ people with a baseball bat in one go vs using a semi auto rifle with an effective killing range of several hundred meters and the ability to reload a magazine in a few seconds.

However this is an American problem, so il leave it up for Americans to work out. However I would point out that having psychopath child killers is not a uniquely American phenomenon, their ease of access to firearms however and how this ups the fatalities are.

Well it should be an obvious issue but as the above post points out, every angle should be looked at instead before considering anything on Guns. I assume encase we Brits show up one day to knife them and burn down the white house again, how else would "the people" defend themselves?

Last edited:

Jorav

Boggles the mind where we live in an age when someone can buy a gun before a beer. Until the nation has solidarity amongst its people, i don't see anything significant happening.

FunkMiller

Horrible news today, while my kid was in grade school. Here where I live, they kicked cops out of schools, because all cops are bad apparently. We could ban all guns tomorrow and they would not go away over night. If you could magically get rid of all guns, you would get rid of shootings, not killing. To be someone who wants to kill children is not going to go away with access to guns removed. If this monster was not able to get a gun, he would not stop there. He would have killed some other way. Sad but true. The instant blaming of guns is a distraction from the real problem. The problem is someone feels that killing school children is even an option. And since we live in a country where people want to kill children, we need to protect them. And wishing guns away and blaming guns and demanding gun control will seriously not fix this problem. In the short term, the easiest solution is armed guards at all schools. Most schools have already made security changes, like a single point of entry. Add an armed guard at that entrance. It will deter, slow down, or simply stop an assailant. Long term is actually doing something about mental illness in this country. We are pretty much making more and more people mentally ill every year, and these things will keep happening because of that. We send billions of dollars to other countries and let our own country go to shit.

I really do wish there was less gun violence, but it is intertwined in our society. Mental illness, hopelessness, gangs, cartels, etc. It is not one thing that is causing this. It is telling that only one thing gets the blame every single time. It is a broken record at this point.

Explain how one human being could systematically murder 19 children, one after the other, over an extended period of time, without a gun.

It almost sounds like some of you are on the level of being brainwashed about this.

Last edited:

Urban

Population of US is five times that of UK.

Amount of gun deaths in US two hundred times higher than knife deaths in UK.

Stop trying to use the very low knife crime figures in UK to justify continued gun ownership in US.
Im not justifying anything. U should stop implementing stuff in my words and putting me into one corner

Explain how one human being could systematically murder 19 children, one after the other, over an extended period of time, without a gun.

It almost sounds like some of you are on the level of being brainwashed about this.
Blow up the school with a bomb? Call in a bomb threat then mow down the crowd of children congregated outside with a car? Sick people will find a way to kill, especially when it makes them famous. I understand people’s fear of guns, but getting rid of them just isn’t the magic solution.

Well here we go again. Let's go through the same routine.

1. Ban gun/can't ban guns

2. President makes speech

3. Mental health is important Bla Bla Bla

4. Point out other nations stats for murder ah sure we're not as bad.

5. Republican and Democrats can't make a decision.

6. People in other countries should mind their own business. Include england knife crime. Point out random stats again or something to ignore the topic

7. Funerals held some political points made by someone in government

8. Slowly fading out of the news.

9. Back to talking about the president.

10. Absolutely nothing was done and we wait for another mass shooting to repeat the steps over and over.

Sadly nothing will be done America has been here well over 200 times and it will never be resolved. Rip to all those who lost their lives. Those families will never get over this it's truly sad

As an English person looking at this from the outside you've summed up exactly how it seems to go each and every time.

That second amendment really fucked you over. But hey, at least you know Queen Elizabeth II isn't going to turn up and invade your country. It must be a relief.

Joking aside, I really feel for sensible Americans who'd give anything for all this madness to end. It's just so hard to see a way round it.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

We did the same in Australia, after the Port Arthur massacre. Gun crime here is extremely rare, and most often limited to within the underworld elements here as a result.

Here’s a classic video from John Oliver on gun control and Australian gun laws:

1996 was the year that should have ended any debate over whether gun control is effective.

Both Australia and the UK suffered multiple mass shootings prior to Dunblane and Port Arthur. Then laws were tightened, and there have been none since.

There is no good argument to say gun control doesn’t work.

ItsGreat

I think the parents are too fucking involved. We had everyone bitching about common core math a few years ago. now critical race theory is a big thing parents are bitching about. some parents are terrified about gender pronouns messing with their kids minds (myself included), but for whatever reason we draw the line at things that can actually kill our kids.

as a parent of 7 year old, i can tell you he already keeps things from me. took me a while to find out he has a crush on a girl. took me even longer to find out they were talking about sex already. and this is when they are 7. by the time they are 18, i highly doubt i would know what they are up to on forums, reddit, and whatever dark web website kids like this browse nowadays. i can teach my kids all the right things, but kids are impressionable and at some point, you just cant watch everything they do.

Maybe get out of the fantasy zone and concentrate on spending time on your kid.

If you put as much effort as you do spouting all these unfounded fears towards the eradication of gun ownership you might save lives.

Stop being a smart arse and start the ball rolling.

FunkMiller

Blow up the school with a bomb? Call in a bomb threat then mow down the crowd of children congregated outside with a car? Sick people will find a way to kill, especially when it makes them famous. I understand people’s fear of guns, but getting rid of them just isn’t the magic solution.

Where can you legally purchase a bomb in America? And you may be right about the potential for mass death with a car… but cars are licensed, and their ownership is more restricted than guns. So, are you saying guns should be as strictly controlled as car ownership? Because I agree!

And we have sickos in the UK and Australia too. Why don’t we have loads of mass rammings?

Last edited:
Blow up the school with a bomb? Call in a bomb threat then mow down the crowd of children congregated outside with a car? Sick people will find a way to kill, especially when it makes them famous.
lol. He can do these things with or without guns.

Take the guns away and he has one option less and making it harder for him to find a way for mass killings, it's not that complicated.

It's like saying "Why should we ban hand granades, rocket launchers and mines if people can kill you with a car anyway".

I understand people’s fear of guns, but getting rid of them just isn’t the magic solution.
Getting rid of it makes it harder to kill. It's not intended to be a magic solution.

BigBooper

We should have a sensible plan. I'm very pro gun ownership and second amendment, but let's not also pretend that they aren't the easiest way to inflict the most harm to the most people. We need sensible solutions presented though, no kneejerk "won't somebody do something?" plans. Doing "something" on the spur of the moment is usually the wrong thing. Unfortunately, the parties, and the people who are politically interested, are too dedicated to toeing the party line.

Where can you legally purchase a bomb in America? And you may be right about the potential for mass death with a car… but cars are licensed, and their ownership is more restricted than guns. So, are you saying guns should be as strictly controlled as car ownership? Because I agree!
You can legally buy the ingredients to make a bomb, if you want to place that restriction on it. It would be good if there was more basic intelligence around gun ownership, but that’s not something I think the government is competent to manage. But I do appreciate your perspective and I’m not trying to argue against it, everyone is sickened by this crap and wants to see it end, I just think the rot runs deeper than availability of guns in the good ol USA.

lol. He can do these things with or without guns.

Take the guns away and he has one option less and making it harder for him to find a way for mass killings, it's not that complicated.

It's like saying "Why should we ban hand granades, rocket launchers and mines if people can kill you with a car anyway".

Getting rid of it makes it harder to kill. It's not intended to be a magic solution.
I was just responding to the question asked of how can you do mass killings without guns. Guns are good at killing, that’s for sure. I just think in people’s disgust and frustration they go for the obvious culprit the gun, but it doesn’t solve the real problem of sick people who want to kill and will find a way regardless. And I totally understand that frustration, but I want to cure the disease not attack the symptoms, but I don’t begrudge anyone who hates guns anymore.

UnNamed

Banned
Please don't call it tragedy.

The right to have a gun is something many countries have as well.

But only in the US you can buy weapons in exhibitions and many other unsafe ways, without any regual control every few years, to people who have mental issues, and bring your gun at the grocery store.

FunkMiller

You can legally buy the ingredients to make a bomb, if you want to place that restriction on it. It would be good if there was more basic intelligence around gun ownership, but that’s not something I think the government is competent to manage. But I do appreciate your perspective and I’m not trying to argue against it, everyone is sickened by this crap and wants to see it end, I just think the rot runs deeper than availability of guns in the good ol USA.

Oh, there are mitigating factors certainly. Guns aren’t America’s only problem, by any means.

And I’m not suggesting banning guns. That’s not something America would accept. But surely we’ve reached a stage now where any sensible analysis of the situation clearly shows that there should be stronger controls on who owns a gun?

I’m baffled that any law abiding, decent American citizen would have an issue with that. They wouldn’t be affected!

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

"Sick" people exist in other countries in roughly the same proportions as in the US. The point is ease of access to mass murder weapons. Bombs and mowing people down with cars takes effort and a certain mental disposition to perform. We see this by how these instances are equally rare in other non war-torn nations as in the US. But gun violence is bonkers in the US, and it's because you can get a gun very easily.

Oh, there are mitigating factors certainly. Guns aren’t America’s only problem, by any means.

And I’m not suggesting banning guns. That’s not something America would accept. But surely we’ve reached a stage now where any sensible analysis of the situation clearly shows that there should be stronger controls on who owns a gun?

I’m baffled that any law abiding, decent American citizen would have an issue with that. They wouldn’t be affected!
Ah that’s the thing though is law abiding citizens are primarily the ones effected by regulation in the form of extra taxes, long wait times for paperwork, arbitrary and ever increasing restrictions that don’t just stop at reasonable. Yeah I think most people would support “common sense” gun control, but that’s never where it ends. I guess I don’t have any better solution though 😵‍💫

I was just responding to the question asked of how can you do mass killings without guns. Guns are good at killing, that’s for sure. I just think in people’s disgust and frustration they go for the obvious culprit the gun, but it doesn’t solve the real problem of sick people who want to kill and will find a way regardless. And I totally understand that frustration, but I want to cure the disease not attack the symptoms, but I don’t begrudge anyone who hates guns anymore.
I doubt that your average Pro-Gun-Advocate is giving two shits about mental healthcare or strict gun ownership either way.

Your system is so broken that you have to pay several hundred dollars for a fucking epipen, good luck working out your national mental health problem if that's the "rEaL ReaSOn".

There are over 20,000 gun killings in the USA, the EU has under 4,000 homicides in total. And the EU has 100 million more people than the USA.

So, either you have far more sick people per 100,000 (which, from my point of view, just gives more reason to restrict gun ownership), or the combination of far too many sick people and lax gun laws just doesn't fucking work out.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
"Sick" people exist in other countries in roughly the same proportions as in the US. The point is ease of access to mass murder weapons. Bombs and mowing people down with cars takes effort and a certain mental disposition to perform. We see this by how these instances are equally rare in other non war-torn nations as in the US. But gun violence is bonkers in the US, and it's because you can get a gun very easily.

Nah guns did not whisper in this boys ear to go kill people though it wouldn’t bother me to stop selling them.. that’s not the main issue. The issue is cultural. we have made school shootings infamous by constantly using them as talking points for political motivations.

If you want to pass any law they should pass one to ban any news outlets for reporting on mass shootings.

Last edited:
I take your point that sick people are everywhere and the difference is access to guns in the USA, but I think there’s a weird confusion with these mass shooting stories and the vast majority of gun violence in the USA which is common criminals with handguns. They are two separate issues that have different causes and solutions, but I don’t have all the answers obviously. We can’t make those zillions of guns disappear practically.

winjer

Gold Member
Unfortunately, the lack of proper gun control in the USA is driven by a very vocal minority.
Consider that the NRA claims to have 5 million members, in a country with 335 million people.

At this point, after so many shootings, most Americans agree in having better gun control.
Poll: Majority Favor Gun Control
The latest NBC News-Wall Street Journal survey finds that 89 percent of Americans favor expanded background checks for gun purchasers; 76 percent support "red flag" laws to identify dangerous persons and deny them guns, and 75 percent favor a voluntary buyback program in which the government would purchase firearms from current owners. Sixty-two percent of Americans favor a ban on the sale of semi-automatic weapons.

Nah guns did not whisper in this boys ear to go kill people though it wouldn’t bother me to stop selling them.. that’s not the main issue. The issue is cultural. we have made school shootings infamous by constantly using them as talking points for political motivations.

If you want to pass any law they should pass one to ban any news outlets for reporting on mass shootings.
School shootings are just a tiny fraction of the >20,000 gun deaths.

You don't hear about 99.9% of gun killings because they're localized or noone cares because it's everyday business at this point.

"Ban the news" lol

Majukun

Very good post, and I agree.

I hate the politicization of mass shootings, as it ignores the very blatant mental health part of it. Something people have noticed is that almost invariably, the perpetrator has suffered some sort of mental illness or is of weak mental constitution and falls into a dark rabbit hole.

For example, the Buffalo terrorist was:
(1) a white supremacist
(2) mentally ill

Unfortunately #2 got almost completely ignored.
it's not ignored, it's irrelevant
other countries don't have a shortage of mentally ill individual, yet these shootings are not a monthly thing

it's not a mental illness issue as much as a system that allows, one way or the other, ill people to get hold of guns, either just by buying them or stealing them from someone else because there's so many of them in circulation

you can't stop mental illness from being a thing
you can make harder for those people to arm themselves.

especially since talking about the way mental illness is treated in the US, would men open the "universal health care" can that is another invalicable wall in america's politics

Unfortunately, the lack of proper gun control in the USA is driven by a very vocal minority.
Consider that the NRA claims to have 5 million members, in a country with 335 million people.

At this point, after so many shootings, most Americans agree in having better gun control.
Poll: Majority Favor Gun Control
the power of nra comes from two things

1)lobbying
2) their user base is very militant, and it's generally easier to rally people behind a radical "no" to any kind of regulation, than to rally people around political proposals

Well, that's just fucking depressing. I don't even know what to say.
RIP to those poor children and the teacher. I cannot even fathom what their families are suffering right now.

He's somehow gaining followers since that video. Some of the comments on that post are so despicable.
I really despise what social media has done to people.
social media did nothing to people
it just made the awfulness of some individuals more accessible

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Atlanta Motor Speedway Usa GIF by NASCAR

belmarduk

Ok that Era comment was sickening ( i just read first page post)

They rather focus on profiling( on white)

Fucking lunatics

I didn't read the comment on Era... but there is a good reason not to publicize the name. Its not to give the shooter any publicity they seek. It doesn't matter which political/social/racial beliefs they might or had or any infamy they wanted. Whatever reasoning they thought they had by committing these horrible shootings does not deserve any consideration at all. I'm just glad he's dead.

There are over 20,000 gun killings in the USA, the EU has under 4,000 homicides in total. And the EU has 100 million more people than the USA.

So, either you have far more sick people per 100,000 (which, from my point of view, just gives more reason to restrict gun ownership), or the combination of far too many sick people and lax gun laws just doesn't fucking work out.
This is the kind of number fudging pro-gun activists can use. Because there are no 20,000 gun 'killings' per year unless you count suicides and accidents as well. And then only looking at homicides in the EU to produce the most alarming but basically false numbers.

Nearly 13 thousand is plenty already, why make things up to get to 20k?

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

The old bury your head in the sand and hope the problem goes away solution? That's never ever been a solution to anything. Why can other countries report on gun violence within their borders, AND the regular gun violence in the US, AND have regulated gun access, without having the same raft of gun violence and mass shootings?

There is definitely a cultural issue here, but to those on the outside, it looks like gun culture. That you're pointing to the reporting of the crime as the issue, rather than the weapon used in the crime, speaks volumes. The problem is everywhere except the obvious cause. What would you say was the cause of Paducah or Columbine? The only constant between all of these events is that there was a gun involved. I don't think we need to hire Sherlock Holmes to figure this one out.

ItsGreat

Won't somebody think of the guns

This is the kind of number fudging pro-gun activists can use. Because there are no 20,000 gun 'killings' per year unless you count suicides and accidents as well. And then only looking at homicides in the EU to produce the most alarming but basically false numbers.

Nearly 13 thousand is plenty already, why make things up to get to 20k?
The 20,000 figure doesn't include suicides and accidents.

And news to me that CDC makes up numbers.

And what's your problem with my EU number. I even included all homicides (doesn't matter which weapon), because gun related deaths are practically nothing compared to the USA.

Last edited:
Won't somebody think of the guns
That’s what you got from my post, huh? The only time I’ve seen a gun used in anger was to put down an attacker, and while I would have preferred it didn’t have to be used, all the other options to resolve that situation were also violent so I don’t really see a moral difference. Have you ever had to defend against a violent attacker?

Last edited:

Majukun

no, they will not find "a way regardless"
there was a study in the uk that showed the removal of monoxide in the public gas supply reduced the suicide rate by a huge margin despite the rate in the rest of europe was rising

you underestimate how much humans effort economy work and how much have an easy way to do something increases the likeness of that thing being done

https://www.jstor.org/stable/1147403

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Making some grand plan is very unlikely for your average psycho, especially when you are so young. Weapons allow simplicity. Especially if they got bad parents that have guns in the home and allow them to shoot with guns growing up.

Making some grand plan is very unlikely for your average psycho, especially when you are so young. Weapons allow simplicity. Especially if they got bad parents that have guns in the home and allow them to shoot with guns growing up.
I mean I guess so, but it doesn’t seem that difficult to grab the keys to a car and drive it into people. There have been several high profile cases of disturbed people doing just that. A car is a weapon when you aim it at people, truly.

nush

I mean I guess so, but it doesn’t seem that difficult to grab the keys to a car and drive it into people. There have been several high profile cases of disturbed people doing just that. A car is a weapon when you aim it at people, truly.

I've never shot a gun but I imagine just being able to drive a car is magnitudes more difficult.

It's amazing that people are still going with the "if they didn't have a gun built for mass killing, then they'd find another way" argument. These dummies usually fail at everything in life, they only end up succeeding at mass killing because of the amazingly effective killing tool they have access to.

Aggelos

People posts comments on his instagram, but Instagram keeps purging the comments due to the incident he's involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom