• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14 children and one teacher dead in Texas school shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I'll just leave this here and then I'm out because this thread is degrading quickly. Just leaving food for thought and you can take it or leave it, of course.

Last week my son's high school had an incident with a sick young man that smashed his van through the gates, knocked down a tree, and then started trying to get into classrooms. Luckily the area of campus he was at happened to not have students there at time, they were all in class elsewhere. He attacked the local security guard and then when police arrived ultimately he was shot and killed. I was one of those parents getting calls about school lockdowns due to an incident, and then hearing from my child afterwards about the running and the chaos - though from what I can surmise overall the school and students responded pretty well. Because in this day and age they have to drill for these things... I think on that incident and then I think about today, and the main difference is that one guy had weapons and one guy didn't.

It's really that simple. If we want to reduce the loss of life, then make it a more stringent process for people to own these weapons so we can have a greater assurance that responsible, well adjusted people are handling them. Certainly, we should do more to help disturbed people - of course, I don't think any one would deny that. Stronger gun measures will not stop every incident and criminals will be criminals, but if we can at least save some lives isn't it worth doing?

BigBooper

but if we can at least save some lives isn't it worth doing?
Sorry that you and everyone that has to deal with that. Feel free not to respond because my reply isn't directly to you.

I bet many of the people who agree with that thought about saving one life, also make public proclamations about Ukraine defending itself, even though they could have saved many lives by surrendering. Clearly, saving lives isn't the only goal, or even the most important goal depending on the circumstances.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Sorry that you and everyone that has to deal with that. Feel free not to respond because my reply isn't directly to you.

I bet many of the people who agree with that thought about saving one life, also make public proclamations about Ukraine defending itself, even though they could have saved many lives by surrendering. Clearly, saving lives isn't the only goal, or even the most important goal depending on the circumstances.

In my opinion, fighting for the survival of your nation vs choosing between gun laws and innocent lives, are not equivalent circumstances. In the case of Ukraine they are being attacked from outside. In the case of the US we just don't want to put some restrictions in place. I don't think the two situations are alike, at all.

BigBooper

In my opinion, fighting for the survival of your nation vs choosing between gun laws and innocent lives, are not equivalent circumstances. In the case of Ukraine they are being attacked from outside. In the case of the US we just don't want to put some restrictions in place. I don't think the two situations are alike, at all.
It's all about weighing the tradeoffs.

akimbo009

Gold Member
I'm being completely sincere in this. Constitutional amendments are so difficult to pass specifically because you need a concensus that the proposed change is needed. If they can convince people that strict gun control is what would solve the problem, then they might get concensus. It cannot be a political issue, because that will never generate concensus. The people who support strict gun control are not able to specify what the issue is, or why it would be a worthwhile tradeoff. It’s always poltical.

They say we need to heavily restrict gun ownership, while out the other side of their mouth they say we need to let repeat offenders go free and eliminate death penalty. They say we need red flag laws while allowing looters and rioters to run around doing whatever they like and refuse to recognize politically inconvenient mental illness and disinformation.

They have no credibility.
Who is..... They?

Anyway, America's gotta get serious about crime control, and keeping weapons out of criminal hands. There's ways to do that. Americans are smart, and care, but they degrade into stupidity when it comes to their collective benefit and gain.

Shoot more people, or something, and pray and bless thee or something. Am I doing this right?

BigBooper

Who is..... They?

Anyway, America's gotta get serious about crime control, and keeping weapons out of criminal hands. There's ways to do that. Americans are smart, and care, but they degrade into stupidity when it comes to their collective benefit and gain.

Shoot more people, or something, and pray and bless thee or something. Am I doing this right?
The people who are generally in favor of strict gun control. To add to this, I think crime is specifically the problem.

Last edited:

wvnative

I'll just leave this here and then I'm out because this thread is degrading quickly. Just leaving food for thought and you can take it or leave it, of course.

Last week my son's high school had an incident with a sick young man that smashed his van through the gates, knocked down a tree, and then started trying to get into classrooms. Luckily the area of campus he was at happened to not have students there at time, they were all in class elsewhere. He attacked the local security guard and then when police arrived ultimately he was shot and killed. I was one of those parents getting calls about school lockdowns due to an incident, and then hearing from my child afterwards about the running and the chaos - though from what I can surmise overall the school and students responded pretty well. Because in this day and age they have to drill for these things... I think on that incident and then I think about today, and the main difference is that one guy had weapons and one guy didn't.

It's really that simple. If we want to reduce the loss of life, then make it a more stringent process for people to own these weapons so we can have a greater assurance that responsible, well adjusted people are handling them. Certainly, we should do more to help disturbed people - of course, I don't think any one would deny that. Stronger gun measures will not stop every incident and criminals will be criminals, but if we can at least save some lives isn't it worth doing?
I support the right to bear arms but i 1000% agree you need to earn the right to own a gun.

Batiman

Banned
Genius level strawman.

Most of the rest of the world doesn't value freedom.
Literally, the family. And Christianity.

Started small, like demoralizing mother's into feeling like being a mother was lesser and a career was more rewarding. But at the same time creating the welfare state and praising single motherhood, replacing the role of the father with the state.

All of this trans this, trans that... They're going for that angle because it's much harder to control a functional family with a father and a mother. They want us to be wholly reliant on the government and not a self sustaining free people.

Just watch some of the Virginia governor debates ; they (one of the two candidates, who lost) have literally stated that parents have no role in their children's education.

But listen, perhaps I'm getting too political for the forum. I'm okay with people calling me a nut, but I do enjoy posting here and the odds of changing anyone's mind are slim.
Other countries push these same agendas without weekly mass shootings.

daveonezero

Banned
Who is..... They?

does your country depend on the American Military to defend its borders?

The reason the US is able to do that is because the militia is so well armed.

Other countries push these same agendas without weekly mass shootings.
They also violate their own peoples rights with no resistance.

Othwrwise you end up like China or Australia starving in Your apartment.

Why is it ok for government officials to commit atrocities? I want to be able to defend my children from all sorts of crazies If they have a badge or not.

There are cities and states in the US which have outlawed firearms. People are free to move or change local laws. Just don’t expect them to hold up to the law of the land when a lawsuit is filed.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Yes, our free speech is better than the majority, but it's not perfect.

Also, why would US citizens care about what the rest of the world does with their governments. I know globalism is getting pretty popular over in EU but US citizens want the best government for US citizens. Not the best government for the rest of the world.
How is your free speech better than the majority? Explain

Thanati

I'm being completely sincere in this. Constitutional amendments are so difficult to pass specifically because you need a concensus that the proposed change is needed. If they can convince people that strict gun control is what would solve the problem, then they might get concensus. It cannot be a political issue, because that will never generate concensus. The people who support strict gun control are not able to specify what the issue is, or why it would be a worthwhile tradeoff. It’s always poltical.

They say we need to heavily restrict gun ownership, while out the other side of their mouth they say we need to let repeat offenders go free and eliminate death penalty. They say we need red flag laws while allowing looters and rioters to run around doing whatever they like and refuse to recognize politically inconvenient mental illness and disinformation.

They have no credibility.
My problem is that we can’t even discuss it in this country. The minute people info it up, the 2nd amendment is brought up and, as you’ve seen in this thread, people state it’s their “god given right to own a gun”.

Is that every person on the planet, or just Americans, by the way?

We should at least have a discussion about it. We should enact sensible laws;

Strict background checks
If you have mental issues, you don’t get a gun
If you’re on the no-fly list, you don’t get a gun
If you have a criminal background, you have to really prove you need a gun
Every single person who wants to own a gun has to go through an extensive medical and mental check. Every person needs to have training to ensure they can handle it(as we do with cars)

Things like this. I don’t see these as being issues. But again, we won’t even have the discussion in this country because, for some reason, guns are the be all end all.

It’s really ironic. People want to ban abortions because they’re pro life, but won’t do anything to help the ones already alive.

We hold in high regard the founders whose views were wrong in so so many ways and we've already had to course correct so much of their ass backwards thinking.
Yes, the Founders should absolutely be held in high regard. Geniuses, the lot of them. They wrote a document that stands along the Magna Carta, Martin Luther's 95 Theses, the "Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen," and others -- in its political, social, governance, and historical significance. It was the logical conclusion of all the ideals of the Enlightenment at their absolute peak, combined with practically genius levels of political science.

It wasn't perfect the first time around; it was certainly a "take 2." They initially tried with the Articles of Confederation and eventually thought, "nah, this blows" and tossed it. Hence the Constitution.

So many things about the document are fantastic. A practically flawless base, with the possibility of add-ons or changes (amendments). I read about a country that in 2022 was in its 30th (!!!) or so Constitution. The United States has had only one.

If measured by our modern moral standards, yes, the Founders were personally flawed -- but the very own document they wrote, purposely set up a framework for the people that would come after them to account for any mistakes they might've made. And there are many instances where the principles of the Constitution or the principles of the individual triumphed:

(1) George Washington explicitly and overtly decided to not run for a third presidential term, despite many people wanting him to.
(2) The 13th Amendment (abolition of slavery and indentured servitude) was ratified in 1865. Think about it -- a country, from its original Constitutional setting in 1789, was able to abolish slavery in about 76 years. That's probably record time. Name one other major civilization in history that had slavery, and was able to abolish it within 100 years of that civilization's founding. I'm sure there must be one (or even some), but I'm having a hard time coming up with one.
(3) The concept of "checks and balances" and 3 branches of government -- that right there has served us well for a very, very long time.
(4) Also the separation of responsibilities between the Federal Government and the States. Even for such a small country of only 13 States at the time, in 1789, the Founders understood that people in... say, North Carolina, may not abide by exactly all the same traditions, customs, and local political beliefs than people in, say, Massachusetts. This is still very much alive today; there are many times when people in Mississippi don't want to be told what people in California want, as those two states have very different cultures. That kind of forward vision from the Founders should be celebrated, indeed.

So I dispute the "ass backwards thinking" claim. If anything, the opposite is true -- the Founders had such a spectacular amount of forward-vision that they drafted a document, in 1789, that still governs successfully today... even after the country has gone so many territorial, cultural, and technological changes.

Jennings

Here's a list of measures taken by the Uvalde school and district before today's shooting to help prevent tragedies like this:

UCISD's website states that the district has "proponents to curb and/or eliminate" elements of" violence, vandalism, disruptions and fear" in its schools to "provide a safe and secure environment for all."

Those proponents include four officers, including a chief, a detective and two officers within the school district; partnerships with local law enforcement agencies; security staff that patrols door entrances and parking lots at secondary campuses; case managers and social workers on UCISD campuses; licensed counselors; threat assessment teams; social media threat monitoring; a visitor management security system; canine detection services; motion detectors and alarm systems; perimeter fencing at Robb and other schools; security vestibules and outside buzz-in systems; security cameras; a locked classroom door policy; staff and student training; and a threat reporting system.

The district states that it uses a service called Social Sentinel "to monitor all social media with a connection to Uvalde as a measure to identify any possible threats that might be made against students and or staff within the school district."

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned

Why is it ok for government officials to commit atrocities? I want to be able to defend my children from all sorts of crazies If they have a badge or not.

There are cities and states in the US which have outlawed firearms. People are free to move or change local laws. Just don’t expect them to hold up to the law of the land when a lawsuit is filed.
Dude you’re living in La la land. What world do you think your living in. You ain’t protecting your family from government atrocities and crazies with a gun. These scenarios always sound ridiculous.

BigBooper

My problem is that we can’t even discuss it in this country. The minute people info it up, the 2nd amendment is brought up and, as you’ve seen in this thread, people state it’s their “god given right to own a gun”.

Is that every person on the planet, or just Americans, by the way?

We should at least have a discussion about it. We should enact sensible laws;

Strict background checks
If you have mental issues, you don’t get a gun
If you’re on the no-fly list, you don’t get a gun
If you have a criminal background, you have to really prove you need a gun
Every single person who wants to own a gun has to go through an extensive medical and mental check. Every person needs to have training to ensure they can handle it(as we do with cars)

Things like this. I don’t see these as being issues. But again, we won’t even have the discussion in this country because, for some reason, guns are the be all end all.

It’s really ironic. People want to ban abortions because they’re pro life, but won’t do anything to help the ones already alive.
It's like an innate human right; self defense I mean. A gun is the only reasonable chance an otherwise helpless person would have at defending themselves. Some countries do restrict it, so in this topic, yes just Americans.

I agree it should be discussed, and I agree that there are reasonable limits. I don't think we should run around with bazookas.

I'd be very willing to think about background checks required for mental illness and criminal history beyond even felony convictions. The no fly list and mental exam would be harder to do because that could easily be manipulated or up to interpretation.

We don't need to just say nuh-uh second amendment forever. I'm not a huge gun nut and I've met plenty of those people you're talking about.

Last edited:
In my mind there's no reason that both can't or shouldn't be done. It's not a one track solution.
Well every year or so there's proof that mentally ill people with easy access to weapons commit these horrible acts.
So you have mentally ill people and guns. Addressing either issue should help to reduce such incidents. If government can pour resources into addressing both then even better.

1) Make guns harder to obtain and if you do manage to eventually own one, have mandatory mental health checks/screening every few months.
2) Pour resources into setting up more mental health facilities across the country. Educate the public on the importance of it.

Number 2 is just a generally good service to have access to as it can help in both your personal and professional life. A society of mentally stable individuals is better than one without, especially one that has easy access to firearms.

Shifty1897

These things hit so much harder once you have a kid of your own to think about. In my opinion, stricter gun laws should absolutely be in place. It's so easy to own a gun, I have two, but I know certified nutjobs who could outfit a small army by themselves with what they have at home.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
why they are they letting 18 year olds buy guns these are the most insane people of any age group with the most mental problems you should be at least like 30 and have proven to have a steady job & little debt and that you can support yourself if you can't support yourself or don't have a family then you shouldn't have a gun what would you need a gun for if you don't have any valuables/property or kids to protect ???

I don't wanna say it, but..... is something really going to change?.... I don't think so.

And I am not going to say those cliché words because those have become a meaningless joke.

elliot5

why they are they letting 18 year olds buy guns these are the most insane people of any age group with the most mental problems you should be at least like 30 and have proven to have a steady job & little debt and that you can support yourself if you can't support yourself or don't have a family then you shouldn't have a gun what would you need a gun for if you don't have any valuables/property or kids to protect ???
I believe i read in the AP article that it was the first thing he did on his 18th birthday. No hesitation. No delay. No wait period.

Who are they?

Thanati

It's like an innate human right; self defense I mean. A gun is the only reasonable chance an otherwise helpless person would have at defending themselves. Some countries do restrict it, so in this topic, yes just Americans.

I agree it should be discussed, and I agree that there are reasonable limits. I don't think we should run around with bazookas.

I'd be very willing to think about background checks required for mental illness and criminal history beyond even felony convictions. The no fly list and mental exam would be harder to do because that could easily be manipulated or up to interpretation.

We don't need to just say nuh-uh second amendment forever. I'm not a huge gun nut and I've met plenty of those people you're talking about.
See, you and I are now having a discussion about it. That's all that's needed and, from that discussion, something needs to be done abut it.

America needs to first admit it has a problem. That alone would be a start.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The buffalo shooter just used his dads gun. he broke the lock, picked his choice of weapons and went on his way.

sandy hook shooter and the florida school shooters also used their parents weapons.

maybe its time to hold parents accountable. you cant ban guns in this country so lets charge parents with accessory to murder for allowing their kids access to weapons.

and yes, no 18 year old should be allowed to buy guns. their brains are still forming at that point. if they need to be 21 to drink, they can be 21 when they buy weapons.

BigBooper

The buffalo shooter just used his dads gun. he broke the lock, picked his choice of weapons and went on his way.

sandy hook shooter and the florida school shooters also used their parents weapons.

maybe its time to hold parents accountable. you cant ban guns in this country so lets charge parents with accessory to murder for allowing their kids access to weapons.

and yes, no 18 year old should be allowed to buy guns. their brains are still forming at that point. if they need to be 21 to drink, they can be 21 when they buy weapons.
I think you can get a lot of the hardcore conservatives on board with pushing back the age of adulthood if you do it for voting too.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Exactly my thought. lets at least try future gun sales. if you own a gun today. fine. keep your gun. But banning new gun sales will keep guns out of the hands of new mass shooters being born every day. we can never truly eliminate crime, but we at least try to curb it with laws so why not do the same with guns.

Tomorrow I am going to go my son's school and find out what security measures they have planned. If they dont have cops on duty around the clock stationed right outside the fucking school, im going straight to the principal's office. Let's stop worrying about handing out speeding tickets from 9-3 while school is in session and just cops stand guard all day. FFS kids are more important than traffic violations.

its sad that for all the mass shootings, they are in most cases young teen boys. I know people are gonna say what a monster he is for killing young kids, but its always a he, and never a she.
LyAVQbg.jpg
N8nTlGv.jpg

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Dude you’re living in La la land. What world do you think your living in. You ain’t protecting your family from government atrocities and crazies with a gun. These scenarios always sound ridiculous.
As ridiculous as a school shooting or a shooting at a shopping center?

Which is it? These thing happened too much or they aren’t happening and not to be worried about? Most mass killing events are done by governments or militaries. Ever heard of Kent State? Ruby ridge? Branch Dravidian’s? Philly fire bombing? Do you support Ukrainians being armed?

Nice thing about firearms is they work against all sorts of aggressors who like to violate other people.

Why do you get to choose when or how I view the world. And then also get to tell me when and how to deal with individual scenarios.

Do you have any tools? A first aid kit? Fire extinguisher? Survival knife? Long term food storage?

I have plenty of stuff I don’t use daily but I sure as heck like having it.

I think your insane for not having those things but I’m not gonna mandate you get them.

The Bill of Rightd are not the Constitution.

Rights don’t change because of some written document that no one alive signed today.

They are inherent in all people and not granted by man made constructs.

From that article.

The late 17th and early 18th century English philosopher John Locke was one of the first to articulate ideas central to democratic governments. These include concepts like natural laws, consent of the governed, religious tolerance and the legitimate overthrow of a government. All these ideas were applied by the framers of the United States Constitution in the 18th century.

The bolded are words that most who want gun control are terrified of. Those things require a free armed populace.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

I support the right to bear arms but i 1000% agree you need to earn the right to own a gun.

My heart goes out to the parents who can’t put their kids to sleep tonight or be able to see them in the morning. It’s hard to stop thinking about this because if it happened in Texas, it could happen somewhere else and nobody knows when it would happen.
We need to treat those threatening mass shootings like terrorists. If a Muslim made a threat on Reddit about blowing up a building the feds would be knocking down his door within 24 hours. Online platforms need to be monitoring threats 24/7 and sharing with the FBI and after an investigation and psych eval the threat makers should go on a no buy list . If a school receives a threat the person who made it needs to go on a no buy list as well. Pair that with universal health care and a return of state mental hospitals and involuntary committal for those determined to be a threat to themselves and others.

Thanati

We don't send a "militia" to defend another country.

Pejo

I agree with this, but not just for charges for shootings like this. I think America at least needs a 'come to jesus' meeting with parents and the downright awful job they're doing. How would you ever accomplish that though? I agree that putting personal stakes into it probably would help a bit in this type of situation, but really parents are just failing their kids all around in the past few decades, IMO.
But how do you recruit them into the military then? I think that's the reason we haven't seen any movement on this point either.

Why do people think all these mass shootings are happening recently? Why is it so crazy right now?

You have to ask yourself who are committing most of the mass shootings and the motive behind them. The fact is, nearly all of them are young men in their teens to mid 20's with a strong correlation of fatherlessness, mental health issues, broken families, abuse (verbal and physical), poverty, etc along with easy access to guns.

Last edited:

JayK47

Horrible news today, while my kid was in grade school. Here where I live, they kicked cops out of schools, because all cops are bad apparently. We could ban all guns tomorrow and they would not go away over night. If you could magically get rid of all guns, you would get rid of shootings, not killing. To be someone who wants to kill children is not going to go away with access to guns removed. If this monster was not able to get a gun, he would not stop there. He would have killed some other way. Sad but true. The instant blaming of guns is a distraction from the real problem. The problem is someone feels that killing school children is even an option. And since we live in a country where people want to kill children, we need to protect them. And wishing guns away and blaming guns and demanding gun control will seriously not fix this problem. In the short term, the easiest solution is armed guards at all schools. Most schools have already made security changes, like a single point of entry. Add an armed guard at that entrance. It will deter, slow down, or simply stop an assailant. Long term is actually doing something about mental illness in this country. We are pretty much making more and more people mentally ill every year, and these things will keep happening because of that. We send billions of dollars to other countries and let our own country go to shit.

I really do wish there was less gun violence, but it is intertwined in our society. Mental illness, hopelessness, gangs, cartels, etc. It is not one thing that is causing this. It is telling that only one thing gets the blame every single time. It is a broken record at this point.

I find it interesting that every time one of these shooters have "mental illness" it ends in innocent and unarmed people getting killed.

The Buffalo guy planned that whole thing out, its not mental illness its just evil and more things need to be put in place to not let guns into the wrong hands.
You forgot that the Buffalo guy had the N word written on his gun. What the fuck is that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom