• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14 minutes of open world Watch Dogs gameplay [hacking, combat, driving]

A lot can change, totally agree. But not showing all of those mechanics in the reveal last year didn't mean that they weren't in there. They simply (and smartly) decided to just show the conceptual idea of the game, and what the player should feel when playing it.

And it worked out brilliantly for them. But I have no doubt that everything we see now was planned, coded and in some degree deployed last year.
Maybe I should rephrase, but you are right. But just showing concepts is just...wrong, what if they decided not to show the annoying padding mechanics of the Division? That's what worries me.

If that's an option, I might get back to being interested in this game as I love ghosting or going non-lethal in any game that makes it possible.

Did a few searches online. from what I read the only non-lethal options are stealth takedows and using the baton, no other options have been presented.

Maybe I should rephrase, but you are right. But just showing concepts is just...wrong, what if they decided not to show the annoying padding mechanics of the Division? That's what worries me.

The Division would be crazy boring if the game was strictly just what we've seen so far. There will be just as much, if not more, padding in The Division, and considering it is leaning towards a massive multiplayer approach they need it in order to keep the playerbase engaged throughout the years, and make them buy DLC down the line.

Every game has padding, it's just a question of how well it is disguised.

The Division would be crazy boring if the game was strictly just what we've seen so far. There will be just as much, if not more, padding in The Division, and considering it is leaning towards a massive multiplayer approach they need it in order to keep the playerbase engaged throughout the years, and make them buy DLC down the line.

Every game has padding, it's just a question of how well it is disguised.
Nobody has any confidence in Ubisoft's padding, as shown in this thread. I wish Ubisoft didn't suck at it.

I think this then i think about how much fun I have just had with splinter cell blacklist. This game looks like it marry's all the best parts of other ubisoft games. I think black flag looks awesome, but after the ubisoft deal with nvidia, I'm getting everything on pc

I hesitate for Blacklist... I may take a look at the OT and gaffers impressions. It's just that I didn't played a Splinter Cell game since .... well since Xbox :eek:
And I'm not sure I'll enjoy it as much as I enjoyed it when the mechanics were new and when it was more focus on stealth.

Seronei

The getting recognized by that shop owner and having to run away looks like it can be really annoying.
I hope it's only after a few missions and that it doesn't happen when driving/running around in a city since getting constantly spotted in AC3 was probably my biggest annoyance in that game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
No idea what that video was running on, but they have removed all atmospheric effects, the environments looks sterile as fuck now, animations are less impressive, little to no cloth physics, way less pedestrians and cars on the street.

Pfft.

Reference clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcMRkyoHKeA
Not really seeing a big difference here. I will say that the game looks a lot better at sunset and night time than it does during the day.

KKRT00

No idea what that video was running on, but they have removed all atmospheric effects, the environments looks sterile as fuck now, animations are less impressive, little to no cloth physics, way less pedestrians and cars on the street.

Pfft.

Reference clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcMRkyoHKeA

You're comparing clear day gameplay to night in rain.
That being said game has awful LoD, i just hope its not max out PC version without TXAA, because it would be terrible.
Btw its pretty "amazing" that almost all developers have still problems with shadow rendering.

Acheteedo

Hmm, does seem like the graphics have taken a downgrade... or perhaps my standards have gone up since the reveal... or the youtube feed doesn't do it justice. Either way, doesn't look too hot :S

It looks much better then I initially thought it would. Both graphic and gameplay wise. It's probably not a game for me, but it still looks like a good game.

UrbanRats

GTA is slightly less bland and uninteresting?

Well interest works on a purely subjective basis, so i can see it being uninteresting, but bland? It's a fairly peculiar and unique game, both in style and in structure, once you go beyond the basic tropes of the genre it's part of.
Granted a lot of people find R* "style" irritating, but it's still a distinctive one.

glaurung

You're comparing clear day gameplay to night in rain.
That being said game has awful LoD, i just hope its not max out PC version without TXAA, because it would be terrible.
Btw its pretty "amazing" that almost all developers have still problems with shadow rendering.
I was pretty distracted with the pop-in that is apparent in this new 14min video. And the relatively clunky-looking car models.

I still think the game will be a thrill to play, the stealth approach is very welcome after the massacre approaches of, for example, Assassin's Creed III and its dull DLC. Will definitely grab it, if possible on a next-gen console or PC (I suspect the PC version will get surprisingly delayed to boost console sales).

Martian

Lets hack the roof of this building

Lets hack this forklift

Lets hack everything!

Looks good though, the xtreme hacking is abit over the top however

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
so much negativity. i don't really understand some of the complaint

Game is getting quite a bit of hype. It's getting good pre order numbers and will sell really well. It's popular. On top of that it's a big budget Ubisoft game that is set to be the new Assassins Creed. People love to hate on Assassins Creed.

Come on, it's pretty obvious why it's getting hate in a place like this. Also it's probably worth noting a lot of people here are graphics whores, and a bunch of the complaints seem to be purely about how the game has had a visual downgrade from the initial reveal. In reality we know this is still a great looking game, but GAF gonna GAF.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Killzone isn't really comparable since it's a linear FPS. I'd give Watch Dogs the benefit of the doubt since it's an open-world game if not for the fact that I saw Infamous Second Son...

What we saw from Infamous looked barren compared to Watch Dogs.

Yoday

well shit, it's cool to hate WD now...

This is an old build for the love of God.
Yep, and I am really starting to wonder if this is the first console launch for a lot of people around here. Games don't tend to have huge graphical differences between builds outside of launch windows. People are freaking out over the smallest things in builds that are going to be in no way reflective of the final game.

Yep. Probably an old build on pc with PS4 specs in mind. The final game will look better on PS4 and pc and worse on Ps3...

Seems like the most likely scenario. As history has often proven.

watchdog

After watching the gameplay clip posted on Gamersyde I must say that it doesn't look as bad as I thought. The cloth physics on the main character's coat seem to still be intact. However, the buildings look pretty bad in the distance around the 7:30 mark and the shadows generally dont look all that great. Hopefully those of us that will be picking this up for the PC can turn up the settings to improve draw distance and shadow fidelity.

danmaku

Game is getting quite a bit of hype. It's getting good pre order numbers and will sell really well. It's popular. On top of that it's a big budget Ubisoft game that is set to be the new Assassins Creed. People love to hate on Assassins Creed.

Come on, it's pretty obvious why it's getting hate in a place like this. Also it's probably worth noting a lot of people here are graphics whores, and a bunch of the complaints seem to be purely about how the game has had a visual downgrade from the initial reveal. In reality we know this is still a great looking game, but GAF gonna GAF.

People don't hate AC because it's cool, they hate it because it's choke full of problems. I liked 1 and 2 (yes, even 1), but I won't deny they did some terrible design choices, and this games gives me the same vibe. You can do a lot of things, but every single one of them is so basic and simple that it hardly matters.

Jac_Solar

I think the devs mentioned that other players would be able to invade, and that you couldn't tel the difference between that player and NPC's in the world, but I don't understand how the invasion aspect is supposed to work. You will most likely immediately be able to spot another player, since they tend to move differently than NPC's. You notice pretty quickly where, why and how NPC's move in a game.

I think the main reason why people complain about games like this, even about supposedly trivial things, or things that they would have let slide in other games, is because this is a blatant attempt at a money grab from Ubisoft, and most likely the start of another big earner IP like Assassins Creed - as in, they made this to get as much money as possible from gamers, and they are trying to trick us into buying their stuff.

You can't expect a game to be made just for other people; the makers do need to make money. However, this doesn't seem like such a project - it seems more like a project that was made to increase profits. Not even going into the fact that most of that profit goes to stockholders and executives.

People don't hate AC because it's cool, they hate it because it's choke full of problems. I liked 1 and 2 (yes, even 1), but I won't deny they did some terrible design choices, and this games gives me the same vibe. You can do a lot of things, but every single one of them is so basic and simple that it hardly matters.

Yeah, I think this sums up my feelings on AC/Ubi quite well. For instance, I really liked ACII but the ones after that just felt bloated with too much nonsense and they didn't fix the problems as they went along. What I dislike about what I've seen from Watch Dogs is that structurally it looks exactly the same as Assassin's Creed, and having played 3 AC games thoroughly and Far Cry 3 recently I have little interest in yet another Ubisoft game with the same kind of feeling and only supericial differences.

Acheteedo

I liked the part where the random abusive boyfriend has a gun and vaults over like 4 fences

He's a 500m hurdles runner with a starting pistol, it's in his hacked profile in the video.

It isn't, but we can pretend.

Derrick01

Banned

The initial reveal demo was an even earlier PC build and it looked way better than this PC build. Hence why everyone is saying there is a clear and obvious downgrade.

As for the gameplay problems....well, that's not going to change in any build. They have Ubi-itis and unfortunately there's no currently known cure for it.

Top Bottom