• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14 minutes of open world Watch Dogs gameplay [hacking, combat, driving]

AC4 has definitely taken the lead for me over Watch_Dogs(it was the other way around a month ago). AC4 just keeps getting better with every video whereas Watch_Dogs just seems to show more of the same.

Game really does look amazing. At first I was looking at it thinking that maybe it doesn't look as hot as it use to, but that's far from being the case upon closer inspection. The game in general just has a very subtle look about its graphics and visual style, but it's actually quite accomplished in a lot of ways when you scrutinize certain details.

Would like for it to run more smoothly, but that's about it. PS4 version looking good. I wonder when we'll get to see the Xbox One version of the game. Wouldn't be surprised if it runs at a slighter lower resolution than PS4 version, or at least I hope they would do that if they can't achieve total parity at 1080p rather than toning things down too much.

you can't be serious. lets just ignore everything else going on in that gif.

it's not just the particles that impress. infamous 2 had particles too.

Infamous2PowersExclusive_12.gif
Then what?

From what I see the textures are all nice. They didn't go for a very gamey look to their textures, and instead opted for something more true to life, and I think it makes their game look all the better for it. And then when you get super close to certain storefronts or walls, I think the detail sharpens up even more. At any rate, this game doesn't look average or bad by any stroke of the imagination. I think it looks great, but they would probably do well to iron out some of that performance. It's not terrible by any means, but getting it running smoother would really go a long way.

Yuripaw

Banned
I dunno, if I decided to keep my PS4 preorder, Watch Dogs was on the first on my list of games I wanted for it...but this footage actually turned me away a little bit. I dunno what it is, maybe after having the crazy type of freedom I had in Saints Row 4, this seems boring in comparison?

A perfectly valid question, yet refused to be answered by so many. When you make statements of factual nature you better back them up. Or Has GAF fallen to the level of discourse of GameFAQs? It certainly seems so.
What statement did i make again?

All i can think of is agreeing that Infamous is technically ahead of GTA V (just because it can use more on next gen consoles, not because the devs are more talented or anything.). But i'm sure Rockstar will blow that game completely away in their next game.
In art direction alone, but also in all their attention to detail. I also think GTA V will look a bit more jaggy than we have seen thus far, when it's actually running on our PS3 or 360

I liked the part where the random abusive boyfriend has a gun and vaults over like 4 fences

I've seen that section before in an earlier presentation (goes to show how unique and dynamic everything is.. sheesh) and that was the first thing that turned me off about this game.

Some random dude vaulting fences like it's nothing and carries a gun. What the hell?

chugen

I've seen that section before in an earlier presentation (goes to show how unique and dynamic everything is.. sheesh) and that was the first thing that turned me off about this game.

Some random dude vaulting fences like it's nothing and carries a gun. What the hell?

chicago

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
And to think this was the game that saved 2012's E3 for me and a whole lot of people... so disappointed in how it turned out, really looks like a boring reskinned AC game.
Also, massive graphical downgrade, hopefully it'll look like the initial reveal on PC, but I'd be ok with it if the game turns out to be as exciting and dynamic as the initial reveal trailer (if that wasn't all scripted).

The fact that they cant get a stable framerate on PC is worrying. You'd think they'd be using 1x Titan or better too. Gamersyde vid is only 30fps as well.

Early build. And probably a pc build with PS4 specs in mind.
It's too early to judge from this video how the final version will be. It's probably from may this year.

supersaw

It's too early to judge from this video how the final version will be. It's probably from may this year.

Yeah I was wondering what specs they would target showing a PC version and whether or not adjusting expectations of what the final product will look like on next-gen consoles enters the equation.

On one hand you would think they would show the absolute best version (PC) with all the bells and whistles on, but would that lead to a massive backlash if the final product doesn't meet the expectations set by such reveal.

On the other hand they don't seem to have any problems putting out highly anti-aliased and post processed bullshots that probably fall more under the banner of concept art than screenshot representative of actual gameplay.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

I love how you're presenting it as a fact when you're just pulling it out of your ass.
This could very well be from a couple of weeks old build, it's not a public gameplay demo, why would they use a build from May when they're just showing off a controlled instance of the game?
And why would it "probably" be a build with PS4 specs in mind, what exactly makes it "probable"?

Yeah I was wondering what specs they would target showing a PC version and whether or not adjusting expectations of what the final product will look like on next-gen consoles enters the equation.

On one hand you would think they would show the absolute best version (PC) with all the bells and whistles on, but would that lead to a massive backlash if the final product doesn't meet the expectations set by such reveal.

On the other hand they don't seem to have any problems putting out highly anti-aliased and post processed bullshots that probably fall more under the banner of concept art than screenshot representative of actual gameplay.

yeah the Bullshots are the worst. It will never look like that. Not even supersampled on a highend pc. Maybe in motion you might think so, but there will always be artifacts.
I think these shots are just to promote the game in the best way possible though. Advertising shots..

I love how you're presenting it as a fact when you're just pulling it out of your ass.
This could very well be from a couple of weeks old build, it's not a public gameplay demo, why would they use a build from May when they're just showing off a controlled instance of the game?
And why exactly would it "probably" be a build with PS4 specs in mind?

"probably". I'm not certain, true. Not stating facts. But i think they're not building a demo every month. Probably a pc build with PS4 specs in mind because of the button prompts and the thought that high end pc's could show better quality.
Like i said earlier on in this thread while writing the same stuff, i'm guessing (based on what i read and see).

see:

Originally Posted by
The_Intruder said:
I guess it's pc with ps4 spec...

me
me said:
that seems like the most logical guess imo.

And, as a counter question: What are you guessing/ thinking? I'm curious to see what others think.

This is very disappointing visually. LOD issues, blatant texture pop-in, shadow flickering...and just an overall significant downgrade in overall detail and IQ. Oh, and occasional framerate drops down into the upper 10s / early 20s. Apparently on a PC with (I assume) decent specs. I know this build is a few months old, but still. Graphically this game looks like it's halfway between current gen and next gen.

As for the game itself, judging from this video, it's got some of the worst AI I've seen in awhile. I counted like half a dozen instances where a guard or civilian should have reacted to the main character's actions and didn't.

The multiplayer hacking bit at the end of the video was pretty damn cool though. Reminded me a little bit of the invasions from the Souls games. But WD's multiplayer bits are unlikely to be anywhere near the intensity of invasions, though.

As for the scripted feel, of course the video felt scripted. It's difficult to make a good video that takes a vertical slice of a game like this without scripting a lot of its content. I don't think we should judge Watch_Dogs's scripted or non-scripted feel based on gameplay videos like these.

My anticipation for this game has lowered, but for now I'm still planning to get it for PC.

Blizzje

Is the amount of VRAM the primary 'driver' when it comes to a long draw distance? What role do the CPU/GPU play in this?

supersaw

Is the amount of VRAM the primary 'driver' when it comes to a long draw distance? What role do the CPU/GPU play in this?

I think a lot of it comes down to memory management within the game engine itself and the way LOD algorithms are implemented.

I'm sure all hardware components can affect the performance but if the LOD algorithms are inefficient within the game engine the software will be the bottleneck as it puts a higher stress on CPU/GPU.

They likely took the Assassins Creed engine and reworked it to fit this game but because you have different type of geometry (sky scrapers and faster movement in vehicles for eg) new problems will arise that may have not been factored in during previous implementations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_detail

Derrick01

Banned
The fact that they cant get a stable framerate on PC is worrying. You'd think they'd be using 1x Titan or better too. Gamersyde vid is only 30fps as well.

Ubisoft can't optimize for shit, on PC or consoles. AC3 runs like garbage on PC for people who have really strong and modern hardware.

What statement did i make again?

All i can think of is agreeing that Infamous is technically ahead of GTA V (just because it can use more on next gen consoles, not because the devs are more talented or anything.). But i'm sure Rockstar will blow that game completely away in their next game.
In art direction alone, but also in all their attention to detail. I also think GTA V will look a bit more jaggy than we have seen thus far, when it's actually running on our PS3 or 360

I didn't mean you specifically. Many here have expressed the view that Infamous SS is so such better graphically but when asked for specifics, they consider the question ridiculous or me, the poster, as a troll/blind/astroturfer, etc... and avoid it altogether.

I didn't mean you specifically. Many here have expressed the view that Infamous SS is so such better graphically but when asked for specifics, they consider the question ridiculous or me, the poster, as a troll/blind/astroturfer, etc... and avoid it altogether.
Ah okay. Infamous graphically more impressive than Watchdogs you mean? I dunno.. I think they both could use some extra work ;p. But both still have time.
From the actual gameplay i've seen Infamous also looks a bit more rough than people made me believe. But i'm sure it will look incredible on launch.
Same with Watchdogs. Infamous being exclusive for the platform might give it an edge though.

szaromir

Banned
Ah okay. Infamous graphically more impressive than Watchdogs you mean? I dunno.. I think they both could use some extra work ;p. But both still have time.
From the actual gameplay i've seen Infamous also looks a bit more rough than people made me believe. But i'm sure it will look incredible on launch.
Same with Watchdogs. Infamous being exclusive for the platform might give it an edge though.
I thought WD's launch is on November 20? If so they don't have time to improve graphics at this point since the game is going gold in a few weeks.

SJRB

Gold Member
This looks nothing like the gameplay video from last year. I'm sure its gonna be fun gameplay wise, graphics however look current gen.

Try watching the uncompressed 1.5 gigs video from Gamersyde and show me which current gen game looks like that.

LOD issues, blatant texture pop-in, shadow flickering...and just an overall significant downgrade in overall detail and IQ. Oh, and occasional framerate drops down into the upper 10s / early 20s.

damn. . . that's. not good. At least bullshot us like in killzone target renders.

I thought it looked pretty good and I am still really looking forward to playing it on PS4 launch day. If I'm being honest though, Creed 4's video just pipped it for me. Can't resist those pirates...

Amir0x

Banned

Do you think people can't go back in this topic and see what really happened? Who do you think you're fooling?

First of all, you got called blind NOT for saying inFamous wasn't much beyond Watch Dogs, but for saying inFamous did not look much better than GTAV outside of the character models. That was literally your entire statement for which people called you blind for.

THEN when you trollposted the response "OH LOL I GUESS PEOPLE DONT LIKE THE TRUTH", several posters went into specifics with you. This is a very specific post that shows numerous ways inFamous: Second Son destroys GTAV.

Then your response to me was another one sentence troll post piece of shit nonsense with "LOL PARTICLES" and a goal post moving to start comparing inFamous to Watch Dogs instead of GTAV, which wasn't what the conversation YOU STARTED was about when you made the "infamous is not much better than GTAV other than the character models" comment.

You continued to follow that up with one or two sentence troll posts, no matter how specific individuals got, barely touching on any points being raised and just using your post to make absurd comparisons like using an image of Kameo to discredit inFamous: Second Son's amazing particle effects.

So, please, spare us your persecution bullshit. YOU are the reason for the quality of this debate.

Do you think people can't go back in this topic and see what really happened? Who do you think you're fooling?

First of all, you got called blind NOT for saying inFamous wasn't much beyond Watch Dogs, but for saying inFamous did not look much better than GTAV outside of the character models. That was literally your entire statement for which people called you blind for.

THEN when you trollposted the response "OH LOL I GUESS PEOPLE DONT LIKE THE TRUTH", several posters went into specifics with you. This is a very specific post that shows numerous ways inFamous: Second Son destroys GTAV.

Then your response to me was another one sentence troll post piece of shit nonsense with "LOL PARTICLES" and a goal post moving to start comparing inFamous to Watch Dogs instead of GTAV, which wasn't what the conversation YOU STARTED was about when you made the "infamous is not much better than GTAV other than the character models" comment.

You continued to follow that up with one or two sentence troll posts, no matter how specific individuals got, barely touching on any points being raised and just using your post to make absurd comparisons like using an image of Kameo to discredit inFamous: Second Son's amazing particle effects.

So, please, spare us your persecution bullshit. YOU are the reason for the quality of this debate.

case closed

Amir0x

Banned

I am still interested in Watch Dogs, mainly because I really want to drive around a really major open world version of Chicago, but I must admit the video does not really make me confident in the product naturally coming together.

Watch_Dogs is on the same platform as GTAV. It looks better on the next-gen versions, but it's cross gen.
This is not one of those cases where the next-gen version is just upscaled from the current-gen game. They're separate products and the leading version is the latter.

I see stuff like this and laugh at he people who really think this is what the end product is going to look like.
No reason too. The particle effect looks cool but it's nothing impressive. And we've had bokeh DOF since Crysis 2 on PS3/360.

Amir0x

Banned
Ah the hypocrisy.

Compare Watch Dogs to GTAV and nobody bats an eyelash. Compare Infamous SS to GTAV and everyone goes crazy.

Look at this shit. You have your behavior laid out before you for all to see, and you continue to just do the same. You are the one who is trolling this topic, nobody else. Once again, points are laid out in extensive detail, and all you can do is one or two sentence troll post in response. Put some effort into your posts and show some self-respect. Or at least respect your fellow posters who do.

Top Bottom