• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14 minutes of open world Watch Dogs gameplay [hacking, combat, driving]

Ein Bear

I can't help but think of this while looking at the game. It just seems like what the modern day Desmond game would've evolved into.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if that's exactly what the game was in early development. It really does feel like an Assassin's Creed game set in modern times.

I really don't know about this... I feel like Ubisoft is using the smoke and mirrors techniques they used to make Ass Creed look so good earlier on, then it turns out the game is a repetitive mess.

Everything looks too scripted.

Orbis

I was kinda sceptical before to be honest, but I was impressed overall with what I saw there. I'll probably get the PS4 version.

AC + a bit of GTA open world style... looks very uninteresting, but I hope I am wrong.

One thing that sticks out is the AI, its pretty poor. using the Elevator next to a guard and he doesnt even look behind him when he hear the elevator start.

Muffdraul

Looking forward to the game in general, not looking forward to being forced to drive with a third person camera, a la Just Cause, Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs, etc.

I need a first person/on-the-hood cam option, you goddamn developers. Stop leaving it out.

Derrick01

Banned
It boggles my mind people are saying this looks boring/bad compared to GTA V.

GTA is reintroducing a lot of crazy elements to the series like planes, parachutes and all that. This just looks like Assassin's Creed in the year 2014 and since AC has the most basic and non interactive mechanics out there it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the game.

Another potentially bad thing I'm seeing is it looks like all of these "random" crimes he spots turn into chase missions. We've seen a few throughout the various demos now and they always turn into chases when the bad guy spots you.

Alienous

I'm really not impressed.

It hardly shows anything they haven't shown before. It doesn't give me much confidence in Watch Dogs, especially seeing as everything looks scripted. Why not record 10 minutes in the open-world, without constructing it so heavily? It really implies that the core experience isn't exciting.

This is going to be another GTA IV, I'm sure of it. It isn't going to have much depth, and once the novelty of it being an open-world game on next-gen consoles wears off, there won't be much to be excited for.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Looking forward to this a lot along with The Division. Probably get it on PC. Don't have much faith in the next gen versions visually.

Remember when they first revealed Assassin's Creed with those amazing chase sequences, and everybody was amazed? And then the actual game was shit.
That's how I feel about Watch Dogs. Some impressive looking sequences/scenes, but they're not showing the reality of this 'open world', it's all scripted action.

Kayhan

GTA is reintroducing a lot of crazy elements to the series like planes, parachutes and all that. This just looks like Assassin's Creed in the year 2014 and since AC has the most basic and non interactive mechanics out there it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the game.

Another potentially bad thing I'm seeing is it looks like all of these "random" crimes he spots turn into chase missions. We've seen a few throughout the various demos now and they always turn into chases when the bad guy spots you.

But I am kind of over all the crazy stuff what with Saints Row and such.

This looks like a more serious - innovative - take on the open world GTA-style game.

I really don't know about this... I feel like Ubisoft is using the smoke and mirrors techniques they used to make Ass Creed look so good earlier on, then it turns out the game is a repetitive mess.

Everything looks too scripted.
It's pretty difficult to show a large 'vertical slice' of such an expansive game in such a short period of time by just relying on random events to occur. It's just supposed to show what can happen without scripting.

We saw like 4 minutes of it, this is the full demo, does it matter? Let's enjoy the footage.

I am just saying the game looks a lot better now (according to people who saw it at PAX)! Why not show new footage instead of an early build from June?

All the pops, horrible shadow resolution and among other things are really distracting.

Dead

well not really...yet
Not knowing the context of the games story, etc, youd think this game was essentially a terrorist sim. Wonder if it will cause some controversy when its released.

The invasion element is cool. Gives it a nice element of randomness and cat and mouse games with a human player are much better than with an AI.

It's pretty difficult to show a large 'vertical slice' of such an expansive game in such a short period of time by just relying on random events to occur. It's just supposed to show what can happen without scripting.

And that's not a good representation of the game.
Showing little pockets of action like this might only account for the quality of a very minor section, the rest of the game might very well be repetitive chase sequences, or 'hack X facility' missions for all we know.

jett

D-Member
Watch Dogs Man sure likes to roll around the floor a lot. Would it have killed Ubisoft to have a couple different animations when the dude drops down from a height? :p

Gsnap

And all of the sudden, I'm not interested in the game... Looks like the same stuff, different day to me. I need to know more, I guess. Like, what else can you do in multiplayer? Because what they were doing looked boring. And the optional missions didn't look any more interesting than optional missions in other open world games. Just now you can view them from a different angle via cameras? So what? The game doesn't look bad or anything. I'm just incredibly underwhelmed, and I don't understand why this game has hype.

Watch Dogs Man sure likes to roll around the floor a lot. Would it have killed Ubisoft to have a couple different animations when the dude drops down from a height? :p

And yeah, seriously. That got redundant quick.

MDSLKTR

Finally, those long gameplay vids sold me on AC4 and watch dogs could really use more of those. Thats the same mission that was on Jimmy Fallon, nice to see the improvements.

sangreal

yeah they look just like the random pickpocket/courier/tax collector/etc events from AC

NickMitch

Preordered last month for WiiU looks like it wont disappoint at all...a bit worried how ubi will deliver on the driving mechanics...they usually dont do driving games.....

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Ah man i really don't know about that game, will wait for reviews.

Dead

well not really...yet
I noticed the constant rolling too. Was waiting for a different drop animation but watch dawg just rolled every time...

it's missing all the shiny shaders and superior lighting quality you see in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p16OgsvHEf0

now before someone says PS4 can't handle it, these effects are present in second son :p

game got downgraded big time on consoles IMO

Different time of day. Everything else is the same. You're trying too hard.

In fact, because all the puddles you can tell that scene is after raining, hence why everything is so shiny.

Top Bottom