• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14 minutes of open world Watch Dogs gameplay [hacking, combat, driving]

It's the most preordered launch game for both X1 and PS4.

It's what I currently have pre-ordered along with a PS4. But I'm thinking of cancelling. It's a lot of money for both and Ubisoft games generally wind up feeling hollow. I may just sit out on next gen until things are cheaper or there's an actual must have.

Mobius1

Oh god this game really is going to be modern Assassin's Creed isn't it? First few minutes and he's already destroying the tower taking something out to enable everything in the area.

Assassin's Creed: 20XX

Pacing is the same, progression looks the same (as you mentioned), free-running pursuits ending in a takedown, escaping authorities...

It's not a bad formula, just thought a new IP would bring more to the table. That spectacular E3 introduction made me think the game would take advantage of its darker tone, talking about government surveillance and other heavy topics, but the events that play out in this video are just comical. Random vindictive boyfriend, squirrelly rival hacker, firing blindly into a crowded street and whipping out a machine gun. Invading another person's game looks like fun though.

Derrick01

Banned
Thankfully they're letting us turn off that multiplayer invasion BS. I have no idea why anyone likes having their game interrupted by trolls but as long as I can turn it off then whatever.

Despite all the dumbed down AC shit in this game it looks like it could be decent fun for a launch game. I'm just tired of open world games looking and running like garbage because devs keep trying to cram more stuff into 512mb RAM so even a moderate upgrade right away is good enough.

AHA-Lambda

Oh god this game really is going to be modern Assassin's Creed isn't it? First few minutes and he's already destroying the tower taking something out to enable everything in the area.

Have t watched it yet but it still sounds like they've done nothing to dispel this impression, and I ain't touching it until they do.

tranciful

Thankfully they're letting us turn off that multiplayer invasion BS. I have no idea why anyone likes having their game interrupted by trolls but as long as I can turn it off then whatever.

Despite all the dumbed down AC shit in this game it looks like it could be decent fun for a launch game. I'm just tired of open world games looking and running like garbage because devs keep trying to cram more stuff into 512mb RAM so even a moderate upgrade right away is good enough.

It's fun in D.Souls. I care less about winning (especially against CPU..) and more about having interesting things happen. Fighting other players is more interesting than fighting AI almost every time.

Nibel

First half: "This really is Assassin's Creed with a new paint color - XP bars, guard towers that need to be conquered, the movement.."

Second half: "This looks like Dark Souls - actually, this could be really awesome!"

Will this be 60 fps on consoles? I thought it was supposed to be?

It definitely looks better than current gen open world games, but holy shit the draw distance is just embarrasing (the poor dof effect can't hide that, even though they try), and even up close there stuff popping in...

That's one way to get shinier graphics I guess... turning the draw distance down to psx levels.

Gameplay looks dull, usual AC/far cry chores and mechanics.

The water looks like ass
No dof
high amout of pop ups
worse shadow resolution
poorer lighting
weaker shaders

I am just saying this footage is very old.
Popups are in the video you posted as well. Shadow resolution is the same.

"poorer lighting
weaker shaders"

Useless subjective statements.

Will this be 60 fps on consoles? I thought it was supposed to be?

It definitely looks better than current gen open world games, but holy shit the draw distance is just embarrasing, and even up close there stuff popping in...

That's one way to get shinier graphics I guess... turning the draw distance down to psx levels.

They never said 60fps, and this is an old build, I'm sure it will look better by November.

JawzPause

Watch Dogs should have been marketed in a similar fashion to GTAV. The initial gameplay trailer had people going nuts and it was a worldwide hit.
After this however it all went downhill for Watch Dogs. It's a shame as I think it will actually be a decent game but due to the overexposure people began to resent it and , by looking at the comments in this thread, the hate for this game seems to grow.
Nobody's to blame for this except the marketing team and I hope if Watch Dogs 2 ever sees the light that they can learn from their mistakes.
I will definitely will be picking up this game sometime next year, but my hype has significantly decreased since the initial reveal.

Derrick01

Banned
But nothing was scripted lol.

It was all scripted. Granted some of that like the random chases had to be for demo purposes, but that's still scripted.

The stuff like hacking a wifi spot to hack a camera to hack into someone's computer to hack into their phone on the table (where are you xzibit)...I guarantee you that will be scripted. As in there will be ~30 of those around the city and it'll be another checklist Ubisoft feature to do. I doubt you can hack into any and every building in the city and they have the interiors designed and everything.

tranciful said:
It's fun in D.Souls. I care less about winning (especially against CPU..) and more about having interesting things happen. Fighting other players is more interesting than fighting AI almost every time.

If I felt that way I would go to the main menu and hit "multiplayer". When I'm playing single player I want to play single player and do things at my own pace.

It's even worse in a game like Dark Souls where anything can kill you quickly and everything respawns when you die.

Blinck

The graphics look ok, but the POP-IN is really off putting.

Game seems ok, but not very exciting or new. Will still give it a try though.

But nothing was scripted lol.

No but everything they did there was clearly orchestrated to show off certain sequences, so it's not a good representation of the game.
Notice how he lingers on the shop screen, waiting for the news bulletin to go off, and how he conveniently moves in the direction of the next event.
It doesn't really show the true nature of an open world game imo.

coldcrush

Neo Member
I am tempted to agree, I dont like to bad mouth any game really until it has come out.
The user interface, graphics and concept are really nice, however I can't see myself playing it without getting bored, will reserve judgement until its out but there are definitely more games I am hyped about personally. You have to give it to the devs for making a new IP and trying something a little different though.

Wow!.Hacking other players with that cat and dog system looks awesome!.Graphics and frame rate are great.I supposse this is PS4 version.

Yeah, he just happened to pass by a lady that, by pure chance, was going to get attacked and her attacker just so happened to run towards that parking lot.

Not buying it.
Yes, it's not hard to imagine. They've stated before that these situations are dynamic. Yes, the perp running to a car was due to the AI, but it wasn't a mission or situation that was designed to happen that way.

Notice another demo where the perp ran through a store instead and into a back alley until Aiden stopped him. He could've kept on the chase and who knows where he would've went.

alterno69

Banned
Looks boring.
How can the system predict someone is getting mugged just like that at the begining? That stuff really takes me out of a game like this.

cormack12

Gold Member
City looks amazing for an urban hotbed. It actually makes me want to walk round it and not sprint from locale to locale. Really looking forward to this, much more so than Black Flag.

jet1911

No but everything they did there was clearly orchestrated to show off certain sequences, so it's not a good representation of the game.
Notice how he lingers on the shop screen, waiting for the news bulletin to go off, and how he conveniently moves in the direction of the next event.
It doesn't really show the true nature of an open world game imo.

Maybe they should have released a 1 hour video? It's a 14 minutes video, obviously things are "orchestrated".

Looks boring.
How can the system predict someone is getting mugged just like that at the begining? That stuff really takes me out of a game like this.

Not a Person of Interest fan? :p

Karak

Looks very cool but the popin has NOT been fixed yet and I am soooo hoping it does. Popin drives me nuts and its everywhere there:( Crossing fingers.

ref

I'll be waiting for reviews for this before buying, I think.

The whole random crime prediction thing is cool on paper, but I feel after a while it will get really boring. It sort of reminds me of those constant random things in Red Dead Redemption, cool at first, but then they start repeating... over... and over.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out, visually I think it looks pretty good aside from the very distracting pop-in.

sunnz

+
The ambient is pretty incredible too, sounds very immersive.

Graphically it looks very good, but I really love the foliage and how that is implemented. To me that is one of my biggest wishes next gen ( seeing more and better foliage in game worlds).

-

Pop in is noticeable ( can see vehicle pop-in in the distance, LOD stuff, shadows)

vehicle detail isn't really all that impressive, good reflections but in terms of actual detail, look kinda worse than GTA IV on max on the PC (only talking vehicle quality). Have that Sleeping dogs look.

Same old video.

It does looks a little.. blurry though

Still worried about out of mission stuff.

I am still excited though and cant wait to play it ( PC)

Derrick01

Banned
Yes, it's not hard to imagine. They've stated before that these situations are dynamic. Yes, the perp running to a car was due to the AI, but it wasn't a mission or situation that was designed to happen that way.

Notice another demo where the perp ran through a store instead and into a back alley until Aiden stopped him. He could've kept on the chase and who knows where he would've went.

That was a different guy and it could still be scripted, we don't know yet because we haven't tested the paths the AI takes. Just because you catch him early doesn't mean the NPC isn't scripted though, he may still have a long pre-determined path to take. It just means you can end it at any time. The old GTA games were like that too.

The real test is if you retry it and see if he takes the same exact path again. That's scripted.

Top Bottom