• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14 years ago, Golden Sun: The Lost Age was released

Firemind

2621244-gslostage.jpg

In North America to be more precise. It released in Japan on June 28, 2002 so it's almost the 15th anniversary of this GBA classic. It took almost 10 months to localize what was considered at the time a huge RPG world for a portable game, spanning continents seperated by oceans, multiple towns with their own characters and backstories, and many secrets including djinns, summons, weapons and secret bosses. Fans were eager to continue the story as players only beat the first two Lighthouses in the first game. As a way to connect both games, The Lost Age offered a way to port your party members in the first game complete with level, items and djinns to the new game. Either players could dump the data with a link cable or type in a very long password, which left many frustrated. Still, you had to do it for Isaac and co.!

The game reached cult status due to a variety of reasons. It offered a unique summon and class system, where both are intermingled to create a satisfying combat system. While the combat is turn-based, it's still deep and rewarding for those who delved deeper into its workings. Djinns are all-powerful as they dictate your available summons, your class and the psynergy the class provides. Djinns are found everywhere in the world, usually in clear view and requiring a bit of puzzling to reach them. Once you catch them, you can give the djinn to one of your party members. In total, there are 72 djinns in the game, 44 more than in the first game. Djinns are seperated into four types: Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Mercury. Each djinn offers a unique attack or buff. You can use them in battle to set them which lets you summon powerful deities, or you can set them pre-combat. Every time you summon, the djinns you used will be in cooldown. It doesn't matter for random battles, but boss battles usually require a bit of strategy. You see, every djinn that's in set mode or in cooldown mode, devaluates your class. Your class only operates on djinn that are in neutral mode. Use them and your class might change resulting in lower stats and different available spells. Sometimes you might realize that class doesn't have a revive, heal or buff spell anymore, making you more vulnerable to enemy fire. There are in total 110 classes, so there's a bit of mix and matching! Usually it's not optimal to give your party members the same type of djinns. The more powerful classes are gained by giving your party members opposing djinns.

Another reason the game is beloved is the puzzle solving. The psynergy I mentioned before also has utility spells that are mostly used to solve puzzles, whether it's moving, breaking, teleporting or even mind reading. Towns, dungeons, caves, mountains, every part of the world can be interacted with in some way. You'll go through every possible nook and cranny to find anything that's helpful in your quest. And there are a lot of quests. Not just the game's main dungeons, the Lighthouses, are headcrackers. The many smaller dungeons aren't pushovers either. You'll have to think long and hard to complete them which is a breath of fresh air compared to RPGs a generation ago where you have to walk linearly through corridors with a number of random battles and chests inbetween. Every town has its own locales, culture and beliefs. Some may be antagonistic until you complete a quest. Some are even sacrificing their own people to appease the gods! At some point, you can travel freely and go wherever you want. It's not quite an airship but it is a much more rewarding world. Who didn't grind Mad Demons for Lachesis' Rule, save scum Orihalcons to forge the Excalibur and let out a gasp when you finally found the Sol Blade, mother of all unleashes?

It's also just a really pretty game. The game boasts pseudo 3D effects to help the presentation become more immersive. Sprites are colourful and expressive. Summons are amazing to behold. The soundtrack offers a variety of music, from town music to character themes used as battle themes to epic music used for dungeons and dramatic moments. An official soundtrack has never been released, but some of the music has been rearranged for games such as the Super Smash Bros. series. Nintendo deemed the music so good that it had to be a part of Nintendo's game that celebrates its history. Most of all, it's just a fun game with fun characters on an adventure to save the world. On a Game Boy. How could you not love it?

The Elemental Stars
Sol Sanctum
Venus Lighthouse
Saturos's Theme
Fusion Dragon
Walking Forward with Determination
Air's Rock
Mars Lighthouse
Felix's Theme / Doom Dragon
The Golden Sun Rises

Both of the GBA golden sun games looked so great. I played the first on a regular non-lit GBA and loved the way it looked. Played the second on an SP and actually being able to see what I was doing made me appreciate the art and style even more. The battle effects were so good.

I have the DS game but I haven't tried it yet. I'm kind of nervous to after reading reviews.

Both of the GBA golden sun games looked so great. I played the first on a regular non-lit GBA and loved the way it looked. Played the second on an SP and actually being able to see what I was doing made me appreciate the art and style even more. The battle effects were so good.

I have the DS game but I haven't tried it yet. I'm kind of nervous to after reading reviews.
Dark Dawn is worth playing if you are a Golden Sun fan. It treads really familiar ground but things dialed back a lot. Not a great game on its own and the cliffhanger is awful because as far as we know it won't get resolved.

I loved how it had completely different cultures from the first game. Really made the land stick out. Lemuria was great still remember the kids with their song that was the key to navigating the ocean to find it.

I remember making my mom drive me to a nearby mall so I could grab this then sitting in the car and putting in that big ass password because I just had the one GBA and was too eager to get started to wait until I could borrow a friend's to just do it via link cable.

The Giant

Banned
Love this trilogy. I have no issues with Dark Dawn.

I hope Nintendo gives Camelot a chance to make Golden Sun 4 on Switch instead of half arse Mario sport games these days.

Fuchsdh

Amazing games, and it comes from someone who is not a major JRPG fan. The only major faults I have with it are plodding dialogue sequences.

Golden Sun Dark Dawn was alright. I feel like it really started getting interested toward the end and felt like set up for a big sequel that we've yet to get. I really hope we do someday, I need closure.

I still want Isaac or Saturos for Smash. I need it.

I'd have to say, 1&2 are probably the best handheld rpgs I've played. I played them nonstop and loved every minute of it.
And how the two games linked and your huge party, it was fantastic. But boy oh boy do those games have TONS of meaningless exposition. lol

What a great series. Yeah it has its flaws like too much dialogues for a not really amazing plot (yet I think there are some good things) and the relatively easy difficulty but it's a JRPG with a lot polish and thought put into it and the dungeons are probably the best you can see in a JRPG. Plus I think the GBA games looks really great and Sakuraba has done a great work overall.

The third is a disapointement but it's still fun to play. The second is probably the best with with its huge world to explore

Firebrand

Only played the firstgame, for some reason. Fantastic music, loved having puzzles in a JRPG.

I didn't really care for the djinn/class system much though, the relationship betewen djinn configuration and class seemed rather arbitrary and I didn't really feel like trying every combination under the sun (no pun intended). I didn't even use summons in the entire game, as I preferred just having the stats.

Jubern

Yeeeees. Probably one of my favourite RPG ever. There was a feeling of adventure I can never quite forget.

I somehow never got around playing the DS game - it kind of flew under my radar when it came out and I passed on it upon hearing how disappointing of a sequel it was.

The Saturos battle theme was indeed godly. Really great work from Motoi Sakuraba, especially when you take in consideration the GBA's limitations.
One of my favourites was the ship battle theme in The Lost Age. Yay for sea battles, and another REALLY impressive piece for the GBA imo!

DrArchon

Loved this game. I lost my copy of the 1st Golden Sun before I got this one, so I linked up with a friend's 100% copy to complete my game.

Dullahan is still my go-to example of a stupid hard RPG optional boss.

Dragbolt

Amazing, amazing games with even more incredible music. I still hold out hope for the next GS - Dark Dawn scratched that itch but didn't really live up to the second game. GS4 on the Switch would be perfect.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
This was one of the worst JRPGs I've ever played. I feel like most of the people who love this game had never played the far superior SNES JRPG classics that preceded it.

It's basically the spiritual successor to Beyond the Beyond. It even uses the same lame cliche surprise twist
your childhood friend is missing presumed dead, and on a totally unrelated note, who could this mysterious masked stranger be?

Love this trilogy. I have no issues with Dark Dawn.

I hope Nintendo gives Camelot a chance to make Golden Sun 4 on Switch instead of half arse Mario sport games these days.

It's the other way around I think. If they can't even make the sports games up to quality any more, how on earth would they manage to do Golden sun justice?

I don't know what happened during Dark Dawns development, but it was the only title they put out in 5 years for nintendo (and one golf game for capcom iirc) and... it didn't feel like 5 years of work, to be blunt.

I don't know how they went from 1-2 good games a year to one mediocre one every year or two, but no explanation I can think of is a happy one.

Jake2by4

Loved this game. I lost my copy of the 1st Golden Sun before I got this one, so I linked up with a friend's 100% copy to complete my game.

Dullahan is still my go-to example of a stupid hard RPG optional boss.

Dijin storm is the name of the game.

Golden Sun was awesome. I didn't finish the 3rd game, but I wasn't really feeling it. I think some of the party character where unnecessary. Though that could have changed later in the story.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The Djinn were really ingenious. Not only were they unique in combat, but they also mixed things up in the overworld with some great puzzles.

Love the original Golden Sun games.

Golden Sun was awesome. I didn't finish the 3rd game, but I wasn't really feeling it. I think some of the party character where unnecessary. Though that could have changed later in the story.

It didn't. They probably felt obliged to have 8 characters like lost age, but they barely had enough ideas for 4. The game could have existed with half of the party cut and be no worse for it.

edit: In fact, in retrospect, I would have just scrapped all the previous player characters children from being playable, except Matthew, and had the party be Matthew, Eoleo, Sveta and Rief. And Matthew should have been given Himis movesets, so we had a magic psyenergy based Earth adept instead of Issac#3.

Only played the first game and while it was a good game, no doubt, it overall still felt like a pretty big step down compared to games like Lunar (especially Lunar 1 which also has continent travelling and a similar premise). The cliffhanger ending is weak and the dialogue is quite often mediocre to bad. The game was intended for a young audience and it showed in the dialogue and character interactions (villains aside), while some dungeons overstayed their welcome. The Pokemon-esque Djinn system was fun though and the visuals outside of combat (dat lightning, hmmmmm) and the summons were fantastic for a GBA game. Still didn't really get close to the SNES/PS1 era JRPGs.

Have to play the lost Age on an emulator one day, heard it is quite a bit better than the first part.

Firemind

This was one of the worst JRPGs I've ever played. I feel like most of the people who love this game had never played the far superior SNES JRPG classics that preceded it.

It's basically the spiritual successor to Beyond the Beyond. It even uses the same lame cliche surprise twist
your childhood friend is missing presumed dead, and on a totally unrelated note, who could this mysterious masked stranger be?
Alex isn't a childhood friend; he's the antagonist. Nobody knows what his motives are.

Crocodile

Venus Lighthouse is still among the GOAT RPG themes <3

A shame the series kind of petered out. If they modernized it I'm sure they could make a good new entry in the series but I figure most demand has evaporated after the wet fart that was Dark Dawn.

Admodieus

Loved these games. After playing Lost Age, the first Golden Sun felt so tiny in comparison.

Lighthouses were such a big deal, I remember how excited I was to finally get to the Jupiter lighthouse.

Also it's a travesty we never got a Golden Sun character in Smash Brothers.

It didn't. They probably felt obliged to have 8 characters like lost age, but they barely had enough ideas for 4. The game could have existed half of the party and be no worse for it.

edit: In fact, in retrospect, I would have just scrapped all the previous player characters children from being playable, except Matthew, and had the party be Matthew, Eoleo, Sveta and Rief. And Matthew should have been given Himis movesets, so we had a magic psyenergy based Earth adept instead of Issac#3.

Yeah, the reason it worked in 2 was because we understood all the characters, the reason they were together, and they each served a purpose. With 3 I just kept getting characters left and right, yay new person I don't care about.

That said I wouldn't mind another Golden Sun game. Maybe them learning what did and didn't work in 3.

Great series. I remember when I was younger I spent hours farming experience in the original Golden Sun just so Isaac's party would be at a higher level than Felix's. Couldn't have the OG crew getting shown up.

Taruranto

I think the first one's story, character and script are some of the worst I've seen in a RPG.

I think the most fun I had to with it was reading the Let's Play on the side as I played it because it pointed out how much nonsensical the script was.

Rob2K19

Golden Sun series is one of the GOAT's. Funny how the first two games were just the prequel of the whole story yet Dark Dawn couldn't live up to the greatness.

Pbae

It sure had it's downsides and rough edges in hindsight but it was really pretty impressive at the time on a handheld.

When you near the end of the game and you start getting the really crazy Djinn summons, that was super epic.

I still remember the animations for the Judgement summon...and it's aged well.

I really want them to revisit the franchise and think it would be awesome on the Switch.

oni-link

I'm forever waiting for the first two Golden Sun games to go on sale on the Wii U eShop

As a side note, do we know what happens with Wii U eShop games/VC titles on Switch yet?

If there is a snowballs chance in hell they'll be available on Switch I might still get them on the Wii U eShop

JordanKZ

The original pair of Golden Sun games are simply fantastic. It's a real shame the DS game just didn't live up to the 'magic' of the original... Maybe it was just a time and place thing.

Jakoo

I would love to see a remake of these game with hi-resolution sprite work bundled as one game on the Switch.

Macka

Okay, but you play as Felix? He's never seen in Dark Dawn and in the first game, you were trying to chase him throughout the game.
In the original Golden Sun game, Felix is initially shown allied with Saturos and Menardi, and wearing a mask to hide his identity.

Weird criticism though, because that 'twist' comes like an hour into the game. It's not a major reveal.

spiritfox

I feel like the GBA games were only special because of when and where it was. I loved the games, but I don't know if I ever want to replay them. Air's Rock just makes me wanna throw the whole game away, and the dialogue was so long-winded, and pretty bad.

Some of Sakuraba's best work though.

Beartruck

Lost age has one of the worst Intros to an RPG sequel ever. You spend the first ten hours doing nothing but getting back to where you were at the end of the first game, and the main character of that game goes the whole intro without explaining why he has to light the lighthouses (which supposedly doom the world), he just has to. Also, one of the dungeons in that intro is I wanna say 2.5 hours long (Air's rock I think?) with almost no payoff.Once you get past that and get to Lemuria the game gets good, but what a shit start.

I've been wanting to play these forever.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the games
is from the perspective from the antagonists or something, right?

jb1234

I only played the original game and liked it for what it was. Very boring story and characters but it was a fun JRPG otherwise. Maybe I'll check out Lost Age some day.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Before Golden Sun Camelot released Shining the Holy Ark on Saturn, which was the cloth Golden was cut from. Ideas you see in Golden Sun came from Holy Ark.

Top Bottom