• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14 years ago, Golden Sun: The Lost Age was released

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I only have The Lost Age for some reason (got it as a kid but not the original). Would I be missing much of anything, in terms of dungeons, if I skip the first game? Collecting Djinns is a low priority for me if the games are as easy as I've heard—dungeons and Sakuraba sound like the reason I should try this.

It's a direct sequel not unlike the Trails FC->SC, but it ends up following a different cast after they intersect at the end of the first game.

Just as far as dungeons go, I think the first game has some good ones toward the end, but most of the bigger/more elaborate/better ones are in TLA. IIRC, it has been a long time.

Dynomutt

Both 1&2 are my favorite games on a Nintendo console. These deserve to be remade or ported to Switch VC or complete redo.

Hey was the code an "encryption" based on party probabilities or was it actually specific?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Both 1&2 are my favorite games on a Nintendo console. These deserve to be remade or ported to Switch VC or complete redo.

Hey was the code an "encryption" based on party probabilities or was it actually specific?

The codes are specific to the save data, the longest code includes basically everything that could possibly be carried over, including things like stat boosts from the single-use items.

As a kid I only owned Lost Age, I got a code from GameFAQs and the game doesn't lose a whole lot for it.

Actually it does ..

It's still a great game but the game's without a doubt better by knowing the first game plot AND you are locked from having some of the best skills / summons

The 2 Golden Sun games were my favourite GBA games.

Wish Golden Sun would come back.
it did on DS.

61JaozhNvxL.jpg

Shaanyboi

Banned
I loved Golden Sun, but I think Lost Age overstepped its charm once you had to swap out party members. It's still a great game, but adding that added an element of management I just really didn't want to have to deal with. When Dark Dawn reintroduced that (so early on too), it really turned me off.

Like the appeal of that game was always the exploration and dungeons, and all the Djinn ability combinations. Adding this element of party management and being unsure if leveling is shared, or which Water person has which ability etc. just leaned into the wrong areas.

Meffer

it did on DS.

While the presentation is great even being one of the best looking RPGs on the DS the game itself is weighed by glaring issues that can hamper the enjoyment. Constant stops for dialogue, dialogue scenes that last too long than needed, and multiple points of no return. It was also way too easy with sudden difficulty curves. And it ended way too soon I felt and ended right on a cliffhanger. I really, really hope they learn from their mistakes and continue the story because it was getting interesting.

Miker

While the presentation is great even being one of the best looking RPGs on the 3DS the game itself is weighed by glaring issues that can hamper the enjoyment. Constant stops for dialogue, dialogue scenes that last too long than needed, and multiple points of no return. It was also way too easy with sudden difficulty curves. And it ended way too soon I felt and ended right on a cliffhanger. I really, really hope they learn from their mistakes and continue the story because it was getting interesting.

I haven't played Dark Dawn and I haven't played the two original games since I was a kid, but I'm pretty sure most of those complaints can be levied towards the original games. Certainly the dialogue scenes that go on and on and on.

Dynomutt

The codes are specific to the save data, the longest code includes basically everything that could possibly be carried over, including things like stat boosts from the single-use items.

Ahh ok. I put in work makes sense! Damn those were a good games. Sprite work was on point. Summons were amazing!

Graciaus

This was one of the worst JRPGs I've ever played. I feel like most of the people who love this game had never played the far superior SNES JRPG classics that preceded it.

It's basically the spiritual successor to Beyond the Beyond. It even uses the same lame cliche surprise twist
your childhood friend is missing presumed dead, and on a totally unrelated note, who could this mysterious masked stranger be?
What a strange thing to say. I played all the snes games back when they came out and loved golden sun when they released.

The ds game isn't as good though.

EricB

Is this game significantly better than the first? I was really pumped for Golden Sun back when it was released and bought it day one only to find it incredibly dull. I managed to slog my way through it, but never went for the second. Maybe it was just my state of mind at the time, who knows.

Anyway, I finally ended up buying the second game during a sale on Wii U a while back and have been wondering if I should give it a second chance. It has been 14 years after all.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played Dark Dawn and I haven't played the two original games since I was a kid, but I'm pretty sure most of those complaints can be levied towards the original games. Certainly the dialogue scenes that go on and on and on.

Dark Dawn had the flaws of the GBA games and more. I played it shortly after replaying the first two and came away from it highly disappointed. The first two games didn't have points of no return like Dark Dawn so they had next to no missables, apart the start of TLA where you can't go back and get anything you didn't transfer.

And the story was weird. Despite having hooks from TLA to use for a third game, they kind of disregarded that and made the game an extended sidequest with a handful of tie-ins to a larger story akin to the first two.

Biske

Perhaps hands down the most mind blowing game on the GBA.

Still impresses me to this day.

I remember getting this for the GBA and it was like "how in the fuck is this possible?"

Really wish they would make another one in exactly this style.

One of my favourite games ever. I played the hell out of it and Golden Sun 1 when I was a kid. I've been wanting to replay them for a long time, but I always pospone it.

My favorite gba game of all time.

RNG Manipulation grind for best gear was a struggle but fun. Everything felt so good about this game (except for the long ass passcode system)

I only wish they went a different way with the third installment. Always thought it would have been neat if they expanded the system to 6 characters and introduced 4 new ones (or old, imagine having Saturos, Menardi, Agatio and Karst in your party). And then expand the battles vs more enemies or maybe even waves.

Think I'll pop it in again and play it.

Meffer

The previous two do have those issues yes, but they're magnified in Dark Dawn.
In the beginning, it takes over one minute to explain in a cutscene burning some evil flowers gets rid of some vines.

Perhaps hands down the most mind blowing game on the GBA.

Still impresses me to this day.

I remember getting this for the GBA and it was like "how in the fuck is this possible?"

Really wish they would make another one in exactly this style.

Well, most games have fps standards that they at least try to hit.

LakeEarth

Golden Sun was a polished game with a fun battle system, but was very boring. Endless dialog. Blue ball ending.

The Lost Age was an insane improvement, fucking played the shit out of it. Optional bosses, the whole thing. Characters became more likeable and the story really picked up. I should listen to the soundtrack, bring back some fond memories.

Totally loved these games. I beat the first game three different times, it was a total joy to play through. And being a shorter jrpg (~20-25 hours), it was pretty easy to play through it in a week or so.

The story of GS2 was great too, it wasn't the best story ever told in a videogame or anything but I really enjoyed seeing the other team's perspective, finding the motivations for the characters of the first game, and being totally overpowered at the end with an 8 person team of badass and the ability to teleport all over the fucking map.

Also, the ways it hooked into the first game were pretty awesome. iirc the toughest boss in the game is hidden away in a dungeon on an island that you can find in the first game, but the lower levels are closed off until the second game.

Loved the art style as well. Totally had that clay look of Super Mario RPG.

14 years and
WE STILL HAVE TO BEAT F*KING ALEX

I'll be at the corner crying.

Was that seriously not covered in the DS game? Glad I skipped it.

I only remember that being an issue at the start of the first game. After the first 2 hours, I don't remember being stuck in endless dialogue.

Lynd7

The GBA GS games were great, the Djinns and using the pay powers in the overworld for puzzles etc was cool.

Back when GS was newish, I always imagined this would become an on-going RPG series for Nintendo. I had hoped a big GameCube title would have happened etc.

Graphics looked amazing on GBA.

The two GBA golden sun games are my absolute favorite games from my childhood alongside pokemon. I really need to replay the lost age.

Macka

They need to retcon Dark Dawn out of existence, and pick up where The Lost Age ended.

Collaboration between Camelot and Monolith Soft.

Smasher89

Collaboration between Camelot and Monolith Soft.
Which part of monolith soft, the writers or the ones making the world huge?

Because I disagree with monolith working on GS for the cause of making the world huge. No need to make golden sun a 100+h rpg aimed towards discovery, i enjoy the puzzles in golden sun more in a different way to the discovery of xenoblade and the titles after from them.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Which part of monolith soft, the writers or the ones making the world huge?

Because I disagree with monolith working on GS for the cause of making the world huge. No need to make golden sun a 100+h rpg aimed towards discovery, i enjoy the puzzles in golden sun more in a different way to the discovery of xenoblade and the titles after from them.

Xenoblade isn't the only series Monolith has worked on. Why would they force Tetsuya Takahashi's current vision on Golden Sun if they were even given the series? Camelot isn't able of making these types of games anymore so someone does need to help them. Outside of dungeon design, there's nothing Camelot does that is particularly special. If I could pick any RPG developer I'd say Atlus is the one who should take the series but Monolith is internal to Nintendo and would probably be easier to get on board. Camelot would be lucky to have the level of planning and art delivered to Baten Kaitos be a part of Golden Sun.

The battle system in these games was so good. It really comes alive once you have a ton of djinn in the second game and get to mess with the crazy class system.

Plus, the battle system was really snappy. Whenever I play a turned based RPG these days, I always wish it to be as fast as Golden Sun.

I don't remember if I ever even finished the first game, I think it was the last GBA game I bought before I pretty much gave up playing it due to too many games being too dark without some serious lighting. I also had an annoyance with the tab on my battery cover breaking in like less than six months from when I bought it near launch that further soured me. Called Nintendo and get some replacements that I think I had to pay for. I still have it all somewhere.

boromi

Neo Member
Today I found this one on reddit. Can't tell I'm convinced, but at least it's something to share regarding future sequel (if there will be any): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyKQEuAonkw

PZXQfKB.png

Anyway, the fact is, Camelot have currently no titles in official development. And as much as I know that after mediocre success of Dark Dawn it's really just a wishful thinking, I'd like to see the story finished. That cliffhanger was awful.

boromi

Neo Member
Yeah, for me it was the plot and difficulty level that killed the 3rd one. Graphics were decent and Camelot certainly put a lot of work in recreating whole GBA system in 3d engine.

Okamid3n

Plot/writing is average and the battle system, while good on paper, is underutilized because the games are pretty easy.

On the other hand, I haven't played other JRPGs with as much interactivity in the world, from finding djinns and treasures in towns to finding random caves with summon tablets that you need to clear a puzzle to get, to the dungeons themselves. As well as mind-reading NPCs.

I'd love to play another rpg like that. The places you didn't even need to visit in The Lost Age especially added a ton of color for me.

(Oh, and that psynergy that makes random encounters super unlikely. This needs to be in every game. It's the reason I love bravely default, I can just turn encounters OFF)

Today I found this one on reddit. Can't tell I'm convinced, but at least it's something to share regarding future sequel (if there will be any): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyKQEuAonkw

PZXQfKB.png

Anyway, the fact is, Camelot have currently no titles in official development. And as much as I know that after mediocre success of Dark Dawn it's really just a wishful thinking, I'd like to see the story finished. That cliffhanger was awful.
This would get me to buy a switch.

Top Bottom