• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14 years ago, Golden Sun: The Lost Age was released

Beartruck

Before Golden Sun Camelot released Shining the Holy Ark on Saturn, which was the cloth Golden was cut from. Ideas you see in Golden Sun came from Holy Ark.
Holy ark is great. I love how it's first person perspective, but only for you as the MC, so when you attack the camera lunges forward but when allies attack they step into view and hit the enemy. More first person dungeon crawlers should do that.

Peltz

I played through the first game and have the second one but never actually played it. I remember transferring my data and getting to a maze-like area and never continuing.

I will totally try to play it some day.

Ashby

I LOVED the first game and own the second one but never played it because I couldn't get the code feature that linked the first game to the second to work and I couldn't bare the idea of not continuing "my" story. I thought it was like Mass Effect before Mass Effect haha. I bet in actuality nothing of real importance transferred over.

Wilsongt

If only Nintendo would let Camelot finish the damn series instead of relegating them to sports games.

I feel bad for the Takahashis. Fucked by Sega then fucked by Nintendo.

vakarian32

I still remember the day my dad bought me a GBA for my 13th birthday and said I could pick out one game in the store. I'm not sure why I chose Golden Sun but so very glad I did, I played it to death for years and it introduced me to the older isometric style JRPG's like FF6 and Suikoden. I really hope they revive the series somehow, so sad :(

I LOVED the first game and own the second one but never played it because I couldn't get the code feature that linked the first game to the second to work and I couldn't bare the idea of not continuing "my" story. I thought it was like Mass Effect before Mass Effect haha. I bet in actuality nothing of real importance transferred over.
It actually transferred your character levels and iirc equipment AND inventory.
Plus it was the only way to get all the Djinn in the game. So very important!! :p

Wilsongt

Haven't played that one! Is it available on PSN?

No it's not, unfortunately.

Most people consider the game garbage.

It feels like a Shining game in that it uses all of the staples of the Shining series, but Golden Sun is really a better evolution of Shining in the Darkness/Shining the Holy Ark than Beyond the Beyond is.

The best of the two. I loved Felix's team actually and how they were seen as evil but turns out just to be misunderstood, but then Isaac and his team realize they're actually on the same side.

wrowa

It's the other way around I think. If they can't even make the sports games up to quality any more, how on earth would they manage to do Golden sun justice?

I don't know what happened during Dark Dawns development, but it was the only title they put out in 5 years for nintendo (and one golf game for capcom iirc) and... it didn't feel like 5 years of work, to be blunt.

I don't know how they went from 1-2 good games a year to one mediocre one every year or two, but no explanation I can think of is a happy one.

In the mid-00's Camelot wanted to focus on developing a golf MMO for PC and ended their partnership with Nintendo. The game (I Love Golf) never came to be, though, and its scraps were eventuelly published by Capcom as We Love Golf on Wii.

During that time Camelot apparently lost quite a bunch of statt and, well, apparently never quite recovered.

Ansatz

An RPG with actual level design, Zelda-like dungeons with clever puzzles and using your combat spells to interact with the environment in meaningful ways? Instantly became one of my favorites as a kid, sadly I couldn't afford the sequel at the time. I played it later and I thought it was just as good in many ways, except I didn't like the less focused approach with more freedom to explore.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If Golden Sun hadn't had the novelty of being like the only RPG on the GBA at the time, nobody would have cared.

These games are weak.

Horohoro

I always feel like I'm the only person that constantly wants a new game in this series. But gaf keeps periodic threads opening with this game. It's great too see hopefully we get a new title somewhere down the road.

woopWOOP

Never finished it.

I saved myself stuck in an area after the final boss in Golden Sun 1 with one Djinn still missing.
I played the sequel until the two parties met, but the incomplete Djinn collection bothered me so damn much that I just dropped it.

Maybe I'll try again one time, but I doubt I can deal with the awful dialogue anymore.

The music and summoning animations were damn cool tho.

Never finished it.

I saved myself stuck in an area after the final boss in Golden Sun 1 with one Djinn still missing.
I played the sequel until the two parties met, but the incomplete Djinn collection bothered me so damn much that I just dropped it.

Maybe I'll try again one time, but I doubt I can deal with the awful dialogue anymore.

The music and summoning animations were damn cool tho.
If you were only missing one you could get get it in the second one. You was allowed to get one of each element from the previous game. If I had to guess you probably missed the last Venus Djinn I know I did

Magypsy

I still remember the day my dad bought me a GBA for my 13th birthday and said I could pick out one game in the store. I'm not sure why I chose Golden Sun but so very glad I did, I played it to death for years and it introduced me to the older isometric style JRPG's like FF6 and Suikoden. I really hope they revive the series somehow, so sad :(

Hah this is basically my story as well! Except I already had the GBA and I was like 10 or 11 years old.

I'm hoping for a Virtual Console release of both games for Switch. Dark Dawn is boring.

One thing that I've always liked about Golden Sun is how snappy the battles and battle menu are.

ameleco

I wish the series were still active :( I love those two games. The DS game is okay....I guess. The next one has the possibility of being amazing if they would just make it.

The fact that there was never an official OST for these 2 games produced still drives me up the wall. I have spent years trying to find high quality rips of the game to no avail.

woopWOOP

If you were only missing one you could get get it in the second one. You was allowed to get one of each element from the previous game. If I had to guess you probably missed the last Venus Djinn I know I did
Whaaaaat. MAN, if only I knew, lol

I found my old GS2 cartridge in a box recently, maybe I should just jump back in and continue after all... if I can still make sense of anything :V

Firemind

If Golden Sun hadn't had the novelty of being like the only RPG on the GBA at the time, nobody would have cared.

These games are weak.
It should count for something when it's better than every RPG on the DS and 3DS and widely regarded SNES classics such as Final Fantasy IV, Breath of Fire and Tales of Phantasia.

Both Golden Sun games on the GBA were and still are great. I like the story, mechanics in and out of battle and the characters. I think I might play through them again.

Jebusman

Banned
https://lparchive.org/Golden-Sun/

Yup, that was a classic.

This game is like the Lenny Kravitz of 90s JRPGs.

Just a quick note, this might be one of the most tryhard "I've pre-determined that I already hate this game so I'm going to go out of my way to insult it even in ways that don't make sense" LPs I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

Edit: Reading even more of this the writer has a masturbatory love of Chrono Trigger and can't seem to get past the idea that games can play/look/be different than Chrono Trigger. It's actually kind of sad. I really hope people don't judge the quality of GS based on this.

Kyuur

I still haven't got around to playing Lost Age. Loved the first one and Dark Dawn was pretty good (although too easy, I think this is just a product of the era Nintendo was in though).

Ever since that one poster made a thread on here identifying similarities between BotW and Golden Sun I've been daydreaming about a new game in the universe in a similar visual style and environmental interactivity using Psynergy.

Luigi87

One of my biggest gaming regrets is not finishing this.

I always tell myself I'll replay Golden Sun and then this, but that still has yet to come to pass...

Love the series, poor Camelot stuck on Mario Sports games though :/

Such a shame that the 3rd game is where the serie ended .
The 3rd game is full of flaws , but those are flaws that could have been ironed in the sequel i was baited to expect.

Camelot should have another chance to make this game franchise end properly

Don't have a switch , don't plan to .. But if a golden sun arrives on it , you can bet i won't hesitate.

PS : the Saturos battle theme is on of top 5 best battle themes for an rpg

Eccocid

I finished it back then and i enjoyed battles and puzzles but god damn everyone was a motor mouth... The text in game was super annoying and such a hassle to progress.

Dryk

Unleashes were so satisfying
latest

Oh man, at least I was right to be bummed about not being able to do it then!
As a kid I only owned Lost Age, I got a code from GameFAQs and the game doesn't lose a whole lot for it.

azyless

I absolutely loved the first two (why why why isn't Nintendo making any effort to release GBA classics on the 3DS's virtual console).
Weirdly never got around to playing the 3rd one.

Fuchsdh

The fact that you could easily miss Djinn in the overworld was one of my least favorite aspects. Running through random woods in the overworld for a random encounter was not a really good design.

I finished it back then and i enjoyed battles and puzzles but god damn everyone was a motor mouth... The text in game was super annoying and such a hassle to progress.

The text wasn't the big issue (you could speed it up in options) but more the heavy reliance on throwing in emote speech bubbles and pauses for nods and the like that hurt it, IMO. You could have cut the running time of the longest dialogue segments by probably 30% without ruining the impact of the story at all. It's also weird because it gets you into the action fairly quickly compared to a lot of RPGs, but then once you get through Sol Sanctum it decides that *now* it's gonna' unleash a lot more relatively pointless dialogue on you in the worst kind of fake-out.

The games were awesome, some of my favorite games on the system. I actually enjoyed Dark Dawn a lot too, but there is no question about it being worse than the preceding titles. Certainly isn't a bad JRPG though, especially if you are a Golden Sun fan. The story is a bit meh but the combat and puzzle gameplay up to snuff.

Top Bottom