• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 minutes of Skyrim PS4 footage.

I'm torn on this.
On the one hand it'd be nice to play something that runs well unlike the PS3 version, but on the other I put a lot of time in that version, and I don't think I could be bothered replaying everything from scratch.

Sorry Bethesda, I already installed mods that made the game look a hundred times better than this unnecessary remaster.

Pass for me.

Except it's free for the majority of PC Skyrim players (if you own the DLC), the mods still work, the SKSE team is making a version for this remaster, and most importantly it's 64bit unlike the current Skyrim, so PC mod users won't be limited to a mere 4GB of RAM anymore.

This is literally the best thing they could have done for their modding community: "You guys say the game breaks when you hit a 4GB limit from modding? Okay, here's a free remaster on our new engine to fix that for you."

Syntsui

The price is not an issue considering black Friday is just around the corner, if you are interested, just wait a few more days and get a good sale.

Ploid 3.0

Except it's free for the majority of PC Skyrim players (if you own the DLC), the mods still work, the SKSE team is making a version for this remaster, and most importantly it's 64bit unlike the current Skyrim, so PC mod users won't be limited to a mere 4GB of RAM anymore.

This is literally the best thing they could have done for their modding community: "You guys say the game breaks when you hit a 4GB limit from modding? Okay, here's a free remaster on our new engine to fix that for you."

Wasn't there tweaks or mods that got around that 4gb limit? I sort of remember stuff on that. ENBhelper or something. You set the ram you have, and the graphics ram, and the PC uses it all, with reserved ram setting as well.

Though I suppose that's just for post process stuff, and not skyrim itself? That sounds good though. I'll wait on the mods that take advantage of it first then upgrade, especially if there is a sale down the road. I can wait 6 months easily. No rush for me. The longer I wait, the more mods are out that only work on the new Skyrim.

PC only gamers need to fuck off out of this thread.

I too have the modded PC version but get your head out of your arse, this is a massive improvement over the last gen version for console gamers.

Wow that's actually a great point!

Thanks for bringing that up. I didn't even consider that.

Ploid 3.0

I too have the modded PC version but get your head out of your arse, this is a massive improvement over the last gen version for console gamers.

This is coming out on PC too. Are Xbox gamers going to be kicked out as well?

Not only that, but the lighting and shadows are massively improved in this version, so add mods to the remaster and it will look better than the old version could have. Not to mention it will be much more stable than a heavily modded version.

No, it runs at 30 FPS.

Wow!
Really that is pretty lame!

??
Calm down!
Why do people get so emotionally involved and defensive over a piece of plastic?
You should be demanding 60FPS, this is a 5 year old game running on current gen hardware and it runs with a last gen framerate.
The things people settle for and convince themselves it's ok is ridiculous!
"More immersive than walking in a real life forest"
Lol that is very sad!
Spoken like a true recluse!

Corpekata

Banned
This guy is fluffing it up a little bit. First minute is okay but then he goes straight off the deep end with his praise.

"More immersive than walking in a real life forest", give me a break.

If you look at the guy's channel, he's uh, maybe a tiny bit obsessed with Bethesda games. Just a tiny bit.

Wasn't there tweaks or mods that got around that 4gb limit? I sort of remember stuff on that. ENBhelper or something. You set the ram you have, and the graphics ram, and the PC uses it all, with reserved ram setting as well.

Yes, but there were many cases where that tweak wouldn't work, the biggest issue being that it doesn't work at all with Windows 10. So this remaster essentially future-proofs the game and allows modders to go to town with the game while Bethesda are too busy with their new IP to work on TES 6.

It's a good time to get excited for the Beyond Skyrim project!

tumblr_nf6bzy8HDh1tka5aqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nc8ejaH12t1tka5aqo1_1280.jpg

sc3u127.jpg

EVH

They should probably add more variety to the dungeons and bugfixing, but this running at 30fps in PS4 is quite a crime.

Elixist

??
Calm down!
Why do people get so emotionally involved and defensive over a piece of plastic?
You should be demanding 60FPS, this is a 5 year old game running on current gen hardware and it runs with a last gen framerate.

wat open world game with decent ssao is running at 60 fps on console..i'll wait (maybe dq builders, but it is quite simple in geometry and the world is chopped up pieces by teleporters)

Ploid 3.0

Do you think they made it 30fps because of mod support possibly affecting performance depending on what and how many mods are used?

I wondered if it was actually 60 while watching the video in 60fps mode.

Yes, but there were many cases where that tweak wouldn't work, the biggest issue being that it doesn't work at all with Windows 10. So this remaster essentially future-proofs the game and allows modders to go to town with the game while Bethesda are too busy with their new IP to work on TES 6.

It's a good time to get excited for the Beyond Skyrim project!

Wow I didn't realize this. I've been playing it with my old windows 7 enblocal setting. Things run good so I don't know, but yeah, I will be getting this down the road anyway. Good point on the future proofed Skyrim, and thanks.

This looks nice but man I played so much Skyrim back in the day...I really couldn't play another hour of it now. Completely burned out on it. It's the reason I never picked up Witcher 3 - I still can't face playing another huge open world fantasy game.

This looks great and all but with upcoming games like Watch Dogs 2 and Dishonored 2 I can not see myself pour another 60 into a 5 year old game that I already played (but never finished).

Elven_Star

Wow this looks way better than the video in the OP, lol

Colours aren't washed out and details in the environment are more noticeable.

OP's has that sexy accent, though.

Anyway, I'm going to be all over this game. Played the original for over 500 hours across three characters, but I want more. I'm a PC gamer, but fiddling around with buggy mods is not my idea of fun, sorry. 1-2 absolutely essential mods is as far as I'm willing to go. This is a godsend for me.

Impulsor

Calm down!

Lol that is very sad!
Spoken like a true recluse!

Entitlement.

You should not be demanding anything. Speak with your wallet.

UrbanRats

It's a big jump from the old versions, but honestly it still looks pretty bad, compared to the way you can push it with PC mods.
Bethesda should've really thrown out their totally-not-Gamebryo-engine out the window, if Fallout 4 is anything to go by.
Especially if you compare it to modern open world games like Witcher 3, GTAV remastered, RDR2 or even Dragon Age Origins.

I hope their next game is really a massive step up in terms of fidelity and animations.
Their games are getting shallower and shallower, but the trade off for eye candy just isn't there.

Also if you come from ps3, this is a massive jump since that version was unplayable and broken, but that's another story.

Pearson

Banned
I never picked up Skyrim because of the issues on the PS3

I'm excited about this. I now just need to find 100+ spare hours in my life

barybll

Banned
It might be that I played on PC
But this looks exactly the same version to me

Not a chance im getting it, specially since I exhausted my desire to play skyrim

Kuosi

People wondering why it's not 60fps, Skyrim is rather cpu heavy game and the engine sucks balls at multithreading, so it most likely wouldn't run at stable 60 on Pro either, so most likely they decided to go with 30fps instead of cutting down on draw distance, foliage etc

El Topo

As someone that played Skyrim only on PC, I can't say I'm impressed. I'm not complaining though, the free upgrade is a great gesture.

Pass, as much as I loved Skyrim at the time I just can't go back to that combat. Weightless and unsatisfying.

Looks nice though.

Despera

Banned
This whole video sounds like a bad ad.

Also, he says "get excited to go mountain climbing, because once you get up there, the view distance in Skyrim Special Edition™ is INSANE" as the video shows this
Yeah I stopped at that bit. Hilarious stuff.

Harmen

You guys think I should buy this? I'm getting kinda interested.

- I never played "pretty" Skyrim, only janky looking barely running Skyrim on my old PC.
- I never played any of the DLC.
- Most likely not getting a new PC anytime soon
- Played it "enough" when it came out, but haven't been *everywhere*

If you liked Skyrim, I'd say it is worth it but maybe at lower cost. The two DLC storylines are, in my opinion, very nice expansions and one of them is set in a new area. The other one is better than the main quest and also contains some new smaller areas (castles, for example) and dungeons.

120v

yeah... i can see why they haven't shown this up until now. looks just "there" as far as remasters go, despite being a huge improvement to the discerning eye

should be interesting to see the PC version though. as much shit as the Fallout 4 engine gets i thought it could look great in places

Martian

Looks good but not worth $60.

Maybe I'll get it used somewhere down the line, if at all.

I agree, this is exactly why i cancelled my preorder. I just figured I could not justify spending the price of a full game which wouldnt even have proper mod support (PS4).
Hope to pick it up when it drops to like 20 bucks or something

Calabi

I'm really surprised, for such a well sold game they really went to a lot of effort with this.

I cant wait for the remaster of this remaster five years later, where they do actually remaster the game.

You guys think I should buy this? I'm getting kinda interested.

- I never played "pretty" Skyrim, only janky looking barely running Skyrim on my old PC.
- I never played any of the DLC.
- Most likely not getting a new PC anytime soon
- Played it "enough" when it came out, but haven't been *everywhere*

Just make sure to get the game on Xbox. PS4 won't get most mods.

Would 60fps be too much to hope for in PS4 Pro?

The CPU is probably the bottleneck in open world games. The PS4 Pro CPU is still very weak. So I doubt that you will get 60 FPS.

SJRB

Gold Member
Any improvements on loading into towns? I don't want to spend ages in load screens anymore.

This is a good question actually, it would be neat if they removed loading for every single building or dungeon. I can [somewhat] understand loading in cities, but individual loading has got to go.

Entitlement.

You should not be demanding anything. Speak with your wallet.

Why not?
When will people grow a pair and speak up instead of developers walking all over them?
They treat console players as second rate when it comes to performance.
"Ahh they won't notice after 15 mins" "30 FPS is fine". Lol they can fuck off with that nonsense!
Maybe 10 years ago when, but for how much longer are they gonna get away with it?

Speak with my wallet you say? I already did. I sold my consoles and bought a PC!
Precisely so I don't have to deal with a performance cap. (For the most part)

Top Bottom