• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 minutes of Skyrim PS4 footage.

lazygecko

There are. Some of them indeed improve the combat, but not dramatically, and not in terms of how it looks in third person. They really mostly just rebalance stuff. It looks just as janky regardless of the combat mod installed.

You can make some significant leaps by stacking a bunch of combat-oriented mods. Aside from the more overarching rebalance ones you can also add stuff like Attack Commitment which slows you (and NPCs) down while attacking to make it more weighty, another mod which lets you cancel attacks, a dodge mod, and not to mention audio which has a big effect on the feel (another area where the vanilla game is sorely lacking).

Ryzaki009

Everytime someone posts one of those super mega beautiful enbs all I'm reminded is of how they tank my framerate. I don't care how pretty the damn game is if I'm hitting 20 fps.

And the ones that let me run at 60 at all times are nice looking but not some OMG the remaster looks like ass! Kind of deal.

I'll take the remaster get a decent enb (If anyone's nice enough to make one) and hopefully can use more texture mods so the game can look even better.

rsniper59

Neo Member
The passive "mods already look like this" replies are a bit silly to me. Modders took the base Skyrim game and made it look so much better.

Now, THIS is the base game without needing to install anything additional at all. This is the starting point that modders can now work with to make things even better than before. How is that a bad thing? And if I'm not mistaken, anyone with the three main DLC or the Legendary Edition get this upgrade for free on PC, so where's the sticking point?

It's nothing but an improvement.

Oynox

I am really wondering why there is no 60fps... I mean if you install some mods performance will go down probably and the way down from 30 fps always hurts more.

Will pass.

Still saw some stuttering and frame drops.

Also, Bethesda has no clue how to do melee combat that isn't horrible. Every Elder Scrolls game I spend a few hours with a melee character, then make a new one and go ranged. The animations and combat system for melee is stuck in the 90s. Always felt like a chore to play hitting things with sticks.

Uh, no? Which is why I said SOME pc gamers, not all gamers. Also, since we are the ones who played original skyrim at 60fps.

It's not reasonable for people to expect 60 fps on open world games, even remasters. Apart from MGSV who has 60fps I can't think of a single open world game of note that aimed for 60fps. We had the saints row 4 remaster that ran like shit thanks to the uncapped and erratic framerate. The hardware isn't there cpu wise until Scorpio, devs can opt for 60 fps in open world remasters at the cost of decreased visual fidelity, but then we would have more people up in arms that it's not a leap from the last gen consoles.

I'd love for more like MGSV, but with the hardware we have at hand it's not reasonable, devs and pubs can't sell fps nearly as well as visual fidelity. Blame AMD for haivng weak cpu solutions ready for current gen consoles back in 2013.

There nothing wrong with mod talk, didn't allude to anything like that in my post, just odd some pc gamers are saying they are playing skyrim with better looking mods at the moment like some kind of declaration the remaster looks inerferior. Well, that's to be expected and pretty obvious given top modders have had 5 years to work on their craft. The net benefit for pc peeps is that all the top end gfx mods now have a better base to work with, making the whole game look better then vanilla modded skyrim ever could be.

I think the 60fps talks aren't related to open world games directly. Most of them are just thinking that Skyrim is a pretty old game from the previous console generation. It's just fair if the average joe think that the game should be running at 60fps on the current gen consoles which have considerably more powerful system. Even more so on the Pro version which is an upgrade of the best current gen console.

Everytime someone posts one of those super mega beautiful enbs all I'm reminded is of how they tank my framerate. I don't care how pretty the damn game is if I'm hitting 20 fps.

And the ones that let me run at 60 at all times are nice looking but not some OMG the remaster looks like ass! Kind of deal.

I'll take the remaster get a decent enb (If anyone's nice enough to make one) and hopefully can use more texture mods so the game can look even better.

Yeah, it's not like the majority of PC gamers are playing Skyrim with those crazy ENB presets. Especially if they're aiming for 60fps locked.

The passive "mods already look like this" replies are a bit silly to me. Modders took the base Skyrim game and made it look so much better.

Now, THIS is the base game without needing to install anything additional at all. This is the starting point that modders can now work with to make things even better than before. How is that a bad thing? And if I'm not mistaken, anyone with the three main DLC or the Legendary Edition get this upgrade for free on PC, so where's the sticking point?

Exactly. People don't realize that this is gonna be the base for the upcoming mods. More amazing mods compared to those of DX9 version. We're talking about the future here.

Oemenia

Banned
e9RRw.jpg

Like this one.

I wouldn't say it looks exactly the same, the vanila game even on PC looked like trash. This new version has some pretty decent lighting atleast.

Modded PC version of course is a completely different thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irBl8s_5_S0

The heck? This barely looks like the same game. It is impressive how far beyond this is on what I played maxed out on PC at release...Most of it is assets and art direction. It still looks dated technically, but people have done a brilliant job in augmenting what is there to something far more attractive.

Byvar

This looks alright, but why is the sky red/yellow so much? It completely changes the color palette and thus the feel of Skyrim. (It's not due to different time of day, as the original Skyrim didn't even have those colors.) I'm sure there will be a mod to change it back to the original colors, but that would disable trophies, wouldn't it... :/

You can see what I mean here:
https://youtu.be/bXVDpqQ1sP8?t=58s
https://youtu.be/bXVDpqQ1sP8?t=5m15s
Right is what Skyrim's palette was and should be like, left looks like it has a red/yellow color filter over it.

DOWN

Banned
This looks alright, but why is the sky red/yellow so much? It completely changes the color palette and thus the feel of Skyrim. (It's not due to different time of day, as the original Skyrim didn't even have those colors.) I'm sure there will be a mod to change it back to the original colors, but that would disable trophies, wouldn't it... :/

You can see what I mean here:
https://youtu.be/bXVDpqQ1sP8?t=58s
https://youtu.be/bXVDpqQ1sP8?t=5m15s
Right is what Skyrim's palette was and should be like, left looks like it has a red/yellow color filter over it.
It has more variation for sure. It still definitely has times that go back into the cooler toned look but they added warm to certain regions and times of day where they felt colors and sun were lacking due to last gen trends I presume

RK9039

The heck? This barely looks like the same game. It is impressive how far beyond this is on what I played maxed out on PC at release...Most of it is assets and art direction. It still looks dated technically, but people have done a brilliant job in augmenting what is there to something far more attractive.

Well there are far better videos out there, I picked the first one I could find.

The modding may look dated now, but in 2012-13 it was pretty sick. I still think what people are able to do right now is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtWeFKln0HY

ed: If you're talking about the PS4 version disregard what I said. I just think the second video on the first page looks better than vanilla.

rashbeep

Banned

The new lighting seems it would be interesting to tweak, but most other new effects are already implemented better through ENB (water shaders, DoF, ambient occlusion, etc).

Zexen

Well, I'll be waiting for Boris to update it's dlls for this version, then I'll port my ENB and start modding the game. Currently, the only thing that interests me is the 64bit client, the rest looks rough compared to what I'm used to (the water, ugh...).

Anyway, it's still a good thing this version exists, and heck, it's free on PC, so why not!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That video looks extremely uninspiring.

My modest laptop can play Skyrim at 60FPS with a bunch of the nature/texture mods applied to it, I think I'm gonna stick to it.

Ryzaki009

A mod called "Alternate Start - Live Another Life" by Arthmoor is already up in the XB1 area on Bethesda.net. I was impressed.

Goddamn Arthmoor's fast. Well there it is. XD

Least I'll be able to play my vamp chick from the start of remastered. :D

SillyJoe

Nice to have a more fixed up version on the PC -- means less time modding. Gonna have to wait for SKSE & SkyUI though, I think.

Doubt it, but anyone know if they've included any fixes? (unofficial patch)

Lister

Banned
Uh... this looks worse than the vanilla PC version, and nothing like the reveal trailer.

EDIT: Well atleast some of the other videos actually show off some lightshafts and what might be lighting improvements? But the textures still look bad, and the increased foiliage is barely noticeable...

Maybe I'm thinkin of modded PC version since that's the last I played of Skyrim...

Jamiaro

This version is perfect for someone like me. I don't play games on PC, too much of a hassle... keyboard, mouse.... :/ Not my thing at all.

And after the mess that was vanilla-ps3, I welcome this.

Lister

Banned
I don't play games on PC, too much of a hassle... keyboard, mouse.... :/ Not my thing at all.

Common now. Try harder. What about those angular graphics. And the soap opera effect of 60 FPS!

The game fully supports gamepads on PC, by the way.

rashbeep

Banned
Well, I'll be waiting for Boris to update it's dlls for this version, then I'll port my ENB and start modding the game. Currently, the only thing that interests me is the 64bit client, the rest looks rough compared to what I'm used to (the water, ugh...).

Anyway, it's still a good thing this version exists, and heck, it's free on PC, so why not!

It'd be cool if SE added some effects not possible through ENB. Like object motion blur.

Looks terrible. Popped in my 360 GOTY version and it really doesn't look much (or any) worse. The little, and I mean little, improvements they added actually look odd because most of the other graphics are unchanged. It looks unnatural to me. Definitely not worth $60.

Ploid 3.0

This looks like base Skyrim so far, with higher quality textures. I didn't see people hint at mods already making Skyrim look like this. I wish Bethesda made the game look like they added their own improvements which they seemed to do with Fallout 4. I'm sure they added subtle things that I would need a side by side video to notice, but that first video link looked like standard Skyrim with a better resolution version of the standard textures.

This thing is supposed to look better. The only thing going for it now is that it runs better than PS3, it has better textures than last gen, and mods.

MisterR

It doesn't look significantly better than the last gen versions to me. Looks like a cheap cash in for 60 bucks.

Top Bottom