• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 minutes of Skyrim PS4 footage.

ViciousDS

Banned
huh.....I was expecting it look a lot more improved......this really doesn't make me excited at all. think I'll wait for price drop

Shoeless

I'll get it at some point, since I hit a bug in my original PS3 playthrough that didn't allow me to complete the game.

Maybe after a year of patches, and a discount on sale, I can finally get back to playing and enjoying this game.

Gator86

This looks pretty solid. Does it play less jankier? Regardless, the ceiling for this is rental since Sony/Bethesda fucked up mods. I'm not paying for a game missing its biggest feature.

DOWN

Banned
Looks terrible. Popped in my 360 GOTY version and it really doesn't look much (or any) worse. The little, and I mean little, improvements they added actually look odd because most of the other graphics are unchanged. It looks unnatural to me. Definitely not worth $60.

It doesn't look significantly better than the last gen versions to me. Looks like a cheap cash in for 60 bucks.
Ridiculous claims tbh

It looks amazing compared to vanilla
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=onFm-7_wTyA

Catdaddy

I'll dive on my Xbox One since ...mods... played the original for a bit, but was mainly during my WoW downtime. Now I'm off WoW, we'll see....

DOWN

Banned
What absolute bullshit from the guy in the video. He's felt less immersed in real forests than he does in Skyrim forests. Give me a break. It looks ok. It's a bit better than the last gen versions. It's not 60 dollars better to my eyes at least.
Mute him

Mesoian

Looks terrible. Popped in my 360 GOTY version and it really doesn't look much (or any) worse. The little, and I mean little, improvements they added actually look odd because most of the other graphics are unchanged. It looks unnatural to me. Definitely not worth $60.

If you can't tell the difference between the old one in the water in terms of textures, lighting, water, and object density, you need to go to the hospital because your eyes aren't working.

This is a massive step up for Vanilla Skyrim. I'm actually quite impressed by a lot of these changes as they do seem to exceed the work that a lot of people did through mods. It'll be interesting to look under the hood on all this stuff next week. Their texture work is particularly impressive.

I had to. When people complain about traditional game sites not being excited about new releases, all I think about are youtube personalities like this are bending over backwards to make every game they get to cover early seem like the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Yes, but there were many cases where that tweak wouldn't work, the biggest issue being that it doesn't work at all with Windows 10. So this remaster essentially future-proofs the game and allows modders to go to town with the game while Bethesda are too busy with their new IP to work on TES 6.

It's a good time to get excited for the Beyond Skyrim project!

I really want to believe they will finish this someday.

So completely unrelated question but I am thinking of canceling my Skyrim Special Edition Hardcover guide before it ships since A. I have the digital version free from that survey a while ago and B. It's 32 dollars. But I like holding a reading a physical book instead of a digital one. Any advice?

DOWN

Banned
So completely unrelated question but I am thinking of canceling my Skyrim Special Edition Hardcover guide before it ships since A. I have the digital version free from that survey a while ago and B. It's 32 dollars. But I like holding a reading a physical book instead of a digital one. Any advice?
How much do you really use or care or think about past guides you've bought physically? Probably not much

How much do you really use or care or think about past guides you've bought physically? Probably not much
Still look at my Gauntlet Dark Legacy guide and Star Fox Adventures guide from time to time heheh.

But you're right. It would just be a waste of money. Thanks!

Thinking of getting this but not sure. I just finished the WItcher 3 a couple months ago and am thinking of just buying the expansions for that instead. But i've never played Skyrim and i've heard great things when the game actually works.

black070

Thinking of getting this but not sure. I just finished the WItcher 3 a couple months ago and am thinking of just buying the expansions for that instead. But i've never played Skyrim and i've heard great things when the game actually works.

Skyrim is definitely recommended to newcomers, but you really shouldn't sleep on The Witcher expansions - they're better then the base game.

cftrooper

You guys think I should buy this? I'm getting kinda interested.

- I never played "pretty" Skyrim, only janky looking barely running Skyrim on my old PC.
- I never played any of the DLC.
- Most likely not getting a new PC anytime soon
- Played it "enough" when it came out, but haven't been *everywhere*

I'd say go for it honestly.

Own the base game on PC, never beat it, though I did heaps of side stuff and mods. Never played any of the dlc. Plus I now have a 1080 so I could play in 4K maxed out (likely at 30fps).

Recommended?

If so what's the cheapest way of getting the remastered edition on pc?

Mesoian

Own the base game on PC, never beat it, though I did heaps of side stuff and mods. Never played any of the dlc. Plus I now have a 1080 so I could play in 4K maxed out (likely at 30fps).

Recommended?

If so what's the cheapest way of getting the remastered edition on pc?

Probably CDkeys. When it became evident that Bethesda would be giving this version to people who bought the legendary edition, they stopped selling the legendary edition so people who wanted to bite would be paying full price.

I always liked the Oblivion world and cities much more than the grey, cold and boring Skyrim world. But yeah, Oblivion had a terrible main quest.

Humdinger

Ridiculous claims tbh

It looks amazing compared to vanilla
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=onFm-7_wTyA

Agree. I don't get those comments. Matter of preference, maybe. It looks really good to me, very much improved. I can understand people who play on PC turning up their nose, because they are already playing the modded versions, but I only play on console, and this is a big jump over the 360 version I played 5 years ago.

I wasn't interested until I saw these videos over the last couple of days, but they've practically sold me. Granted, I've got nothing else to play for the next couple months, so I need something to occupy my gaming time, and Skyrim was one of my favorite games of last gen. Looking forward to playing this remastered version on the Pro.

oneils

That just changed a couple of weeks ago with mod support coming to Fallout 4 and Skyrim Remaster on PS4 with the only restriction being you can't use assets that aren't already in the game.

Huh. I guess the backlash to the original news was greater than the celebration to the new news. I missed this. Thanks.

Mailbox

*sigh* How the hell can they not reach 60 with this? :(

Best bet? Its probably the fog and lighting their using. Their using FO4's engine updates, and since they updated textures, shaders, lighting and alpha effects, its really no surprise to me if its 30 fps on consoles. Plus lets not forget about mod overhead. Don't want to buckle down at the first sign of extra clutter or a messy new dungeon.

It might not be overly impressive, but its probably still too taxing on the cpu (though probably not the gpu if the recommended PC specs are any indication) of the ps4 to be able to get stable 60 in any capacity.

Thanks, a follow-up question: Do we know if PS4 Pro will have a 1080p mode with extra bells and maybe even whistles?

No idea about that. I guess this is all we have for PS4 Pro support confirmation.
https://bethesda.net/en/article/2vD...ing-to-playstation-4-for-skyrim-and-fallout-4

The new power of the PlayStation 4 Pro has allowed us to make Skyrim render in native 4k, and it looks better than ever. Here are some screens to show you just how great it looks.

*sigh* How the hell can they not reach 60 with this? :(

As I understand it, this version of Skyrim was 'ported' to Fallout 4 engine, so it's basically more demanding.

Even the Remastered PC version's requirements are much higher than the vanilla one (dual-core 2.0 ghz vs. quad-core 3.0 ghz).

You simply can't compare both from apple to apple.

Despite going to a midnight launch* for the 360 version, I never played Skyrim. Really excited for this.

* Cannot believe 11.11.11 was half a decade ago. I remember that night clear as crystal.

Wow. Woof at that lighting!

Everything looks so flat and ambient.

It's because the lighting is the same. They just added crepuscular rays, and a few PP effects.
Best bet? Its probably the fog and lighting their using. Their using FO4's engine updates, and since they updated textures, shaders, lighting and alpha effects, its really no surprise to me if its 30 fps on consoles. Plus lets not forget about mod overhead. Don't want to buckle down at the first sign of extra clutter or a messy new dungeon.

It might not be overly impressive, but its probably still too taxing on the cpu (though probably not the gpu if the recommended PC specs are any indication) of the ps4 to be able to get stable 60 in any capacity.

The engine is not FO4's engine, but rather the Skyrim engine with a few new features. This is evident from the fact that the lighting is clearly not as good as FO4's.
Also, are you suggesting that they limited the game to 30fps to provide greater mod potential?

Toni

If you are a magic user guy or Archer guy, get Skyrim without thinking it twice. Its god tier with magic spells.

No to mention mods vastly expands the features it already has, adds to it and also has a much, much bigger arsenal of mods available for it on PC/Xbox One and soon PS4.

The console versions of The Witcher 3 don't support mods. And never will. Not to mention, The Witcher 3 is never getting PS4 Pro / Scorpio support for an added boost in performance and IQ.

Taking all of these into account, with Skyrim you will get a multitude of hours on the consoles versions, if you decide to purchase it there. Same goes for PC.

You're pretty restricted with The Witcher 3. Especially on consoles.

Top Bottom