• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 minutes of Skyrim PS4 footage.

Impulsor

Why not?
When will people grow a pair and speak up instead of developers walking all over them?
They treat console players as second rate when it comes to performance.
"Ahh they won't notice after 15 mins" "30 FPS is fine". Lol they can fuck off with that nonsense!
Maybe 10 years ago when, but for how much longer are they gonna get away with it?

Speak with my wallet you say? I already did. I sold my consoles and bought a PC!

It has nothing to do with speaking up and growing a pair.

If you don't want to let developers walk over you, do not purchase their products. Vote with your wallet, just as you say you did.

That is what you should do.

The first step is to make an informed purchase, research what you are going to buy so you don't get dissappointed with the final product because it runs at 30fps when you thought it would run at 60fps.

And once you have made your purchase, the only thing you can demand is that the product works as advertised.

Nothing less, nothing more.

Lucreto

This is a good question actually, it would be neat if they removed loading for every single building or dungeon. I can [somewhat] understand loading in cities, but individual loading has got to go.

I fully expect loading but 30 seconds into Whiterun and then another 30 seconds to enter the house just to unload items then doing that on a 200 hour playthrough as a person who steals everything not nailed down.

Will you get bored replaying the game? I would. I would just skip to Red Dead 2 or any other new open world game.

Did you mean Watch Dogs 2 or maybe FF XV? Because RD2 is still far away in 2017.

I'm surprised they didn't go for 60fps in this game. Even my toaster computer could handle it with maxed graphics.

As I understand it, this version of Skyrim was 'ported' to Fallout 4 engine, so it's basically more demanding.

Even the Remastered PC version's requirements are much higher than the vanilla one (dual-core 2.0 ghz vs. quad-core 3.0 ghz).

You simply can't compare both from apple to apple.

Wow, this does a much better job at showcasing the game then the others ones posted. No washed out colours and the added volumetric lighting plus additional atmospheric effects really made the game look great.

No idea why some pc players are slating this remaster with 60 fps and mod talk. We get it for free if we have the dlc and due to the fact that Beth themselves have improved the graphics in the game with this remaster modders now have a better base to work with and FURTHER make skyrim an even better looking game. The improvements by Beth are already extensive and imagine the best modders have better assets and better base visuals to work with.

Win win for pc gamers.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I think I qualify for the free PC upgrade but if I didn't I'd have no problem getting it on PS4. It looks great.

kiguel182

Why not?
When will people grow a pair and speak up instead of developers walking all over them?
They treat console players as second rate when it comes to performance.
"Ahh they won't notice after 15 mins" "30 FPS is fine". Lol they can fuck off with that nonsense!
Maybe 10 years ago when, but for how much longer are they gonna get away with it?

Speak with my wallet you say? I already did. I sold my consoles and bought a PC!
Precisely so I don't have to deal with a performance cap. (For the most part)

This is a terrible post. If you don't like it then don't buy it.

It's sad how seriously you are taking this.

No idea why some pc players are slating this remaster with 60 fps and mod talk.

Are saying that people who demand 60fps are all PC gamers?

It's quite reasonable if people expect 60fps for this remaster, even on consoles (especially for the Pro version).

And what's wrong with mod talk? Consoles are also getting mods for this remaster (sort of, especially for PS4).

Coxy100

Banned
Thanks for the links. One of my top games of all time - the feels when I hear the music man...

Will pick this up but not until it goes down in price. Can't wait to own it on current gen :)

Salmon

Looks EXACLY like the PC version almost unmodded (sort of). Some mods make this game looks way better than this.

Jamiaro

I imagine this port is a must-buy for someone who only played the vanilla-PS3 version and found it enjoyable? :D (Myself.)

hydruxo

Riften was not a good choice to use as the first city to show off in that video. Probably the most dull & bland of all the cities. Rest of the video looks good though, I'll definitely pick up the remaster at some point for the DLC since I haven't played those.

Are saying that people who demand 60fps are all PC gamers?

It's quite reasonable if people expect 60fps for this remaster, even on consoles (especially for the Pro version).

And what's wrong with mod talk? Consoles are also getting mods for this remaster (sort of, especially for PS4).

Uh, no? Which is why I said SOME pc gamers, not all gamers. Also, since we are the ones who played original skyrim at 60fps.

It's not reasonable for people to expect 60 fps on open world games, even remasters. Apart from MGSV who has 60fps I can't think of a single open world game of note that aimed for 60fps. We had the saints row 4 remaster that ran like shit thanks to the uncapped and erratic framerate. The hardware isn't there cpu wise until Scorpio, devs can opt for 60 fps in open world remasters at the cost of decreased visual fidelity, but then we would have more people up in arms that it's not a leap from the last gen consoles.

I'd love for more like MGSV, but with the hardware we have at hand it's not reasonable, devs and pubs can't sell fps nearly as well as visual fidelity. Blame AMD for haivng weak cpu solutions ready for current gen consoles back in 2013.

There nothing wrong with mod talk, didn't allude to anything like that in my post, just odd some pc gamers are saying they are playing skyrim with better looking mods at the moment like some kind of declaration the remaster looks inerferior. Well, that's to be expected and pretty obvious given top modders have had 5 years to work on their craft. The net benefit for pc peeps is that all the top end gfx mods now have a better base to work with, making the whole game look better then vanilla modded skyrim ever could be.

SPCTRE

Hmm. It looks nice, but so does my non-remaster, unmodded PC version. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It says a lot about the quality of that game that I'm still considering getting it just because I can.

oneils

Do you think they made it 30fps because of mod support possibly affecting performance depending on what and how many mods are used?

I wondered if it was actually 60 while watching the video in 60fps mode.

Wow I didn't realize this. I've been playing it with my old windows 7 enblocal setting. Things run good so I don't know, but yeah, I will be getting this down the road anyway. Good point on the future proofed Skyrim, and thanks.

No mod support on PS4, unless that has changed recently.

gocubs

No mod support on PS4, unless that has changed recently.

That just changed a couple of weeks ago with mod support coming to Fallout 4 and Skyrim Remaster on PS4 with the only restriction being you can't use assets that aren't already in the game.

As a huge fan of Skyrim, I'm looking forward to playing this on PC and console. But...there's no way the remaster is worth $60. I'll probably pick it up when it hits <$20 around the time Scorpio is launched. By then the Xbone mod community should be pretty healthy n Scorpio will be the best way to play on console. In the meantime, I'm happy this is free for owners of the original Skyrim on Steam. I'll def be checking it out right away.

MUnited83

For you.
PC only gamers need to fuck off out of this thread.

I too have the modded PC version but get your head out of your arse, this is a massive improvement over the last gen version for console gamers.
So? This is getting released on PC as well, só people can definitely criticize it.

Sorry Bethesda, I already installed mods that made the game look a hundred times better than this unnecessary remaster.

Pass for me.

Is there a synonym for 'disappointing' that fully encapsulates the breadth and depth of disappointment this remaster gives?

Kacho

Does Skyrim have a 3rd-person camera option?

I'd like to see my character in a RPG.

Yes. It's not great though. Your character looks like they're floating across the ground a bit and combat is weird looking. It's much improved over Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

heringer

Not a huge upgrade; Don't very much care for the yellowish lightning they implemented it.

Nintendo Switch should be able to handle this remaster.

Greddleok

I don't get why people care. It's a 5 year old game, that tons of people have played to death already.

And it was never even a good game to begin with

Ehhhhhhhhhh the debut trailer made it look much nicer but I suppose that's true with any side by side comparison.

I was never a huge fan of Skyrim but I'll give the Switch version a chance if it exists.

Braag

I was hoping for a little bit more. Distant trees don't have shadows, most light sources indoors don't cast shadows or proper light. At least it look better than vanilla skyrim though.

heringer

Cheers, I appreciate the quick response.

If the combat does indeed look poor in 3rd-person view, then I'll hold off on the game until someone mods it to address that issue.

I don't think such mod exists even on PC. There's only so much a mod can do.

About what I expected from a Bethesda remake - very little. At least it's not as bad as Minecraft's endless rebirth on every platform known to man.

Oemenia

Banned
Looks great, people need to realise this is an ancient engine, there's only so much you can do.

Besides it looks better than any mod can dream of being.

heringer

I don't know about that. There are a fair amount of "combat redone" mods.

Someone: go try em all out. For science.

There are. Some of them indeed improve the combat, but not dramatically, and not in terms of how it looks in third person. They really mostly just rebalance stuff. It looks just as janky regardless of the combat mod installed.

Coxy100

Banned
I don't get why people care. It's a 5 year old game, that tons of people have played to death already.

And it was never even a good game to begin with

"I don't get why people care." Because your view isn't shared by everyone?

"It's a 5 year old game, that tons of people have played to death already." .... ok?

"And it was never even a good game to begin with" In your opinion perhaps, but it's pretty clear that a lot of people don't agree with that...

Hjod

Banned
I played Skyrim on PS3 for over hundreds of hours, it molded me, I can handle anything haha.

I don't think I'm going to buy the remaster,I played the original so much that I don't think I will enjoy another play through. Maybe down the line.

There are. Some of them indeed improve the combat, but not dramatically, and not in terms of how it looks in third person. They really mostly just rebalance stuff. It looks just as janky regardless of the combat mod installed.

Immersive animations + one of the upgraded body systems does a bit of work. Still won't look amazing, but as close as possible.

Looks great, people need to realise this is an ancient engine, there's only so much you can do.

Besides it looks better than any mod can dream of being.

Eh, some mods have big dreams.

Top Bottom