• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 years ago at GDC 2000, Bill Gates announced Xbox

Biker19

Banned
If it was the only reasonable decision to make, why didn't anybody make it? There's no such things as a console that does "just games" any more, they all include a web browser, netflix, music and video on demand and all other kinds of services.

There's a difference between consoles that were made as pure gaming consoles with multimedia functions, & consoles that were made as multimedia devices that also plays games.

Original Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii U, & PS4 are the former. PS3 & Xbox One are the latter.

I can't find the link anymore, but an article from around 2001 detailed why Microsoft made the Xbox, they basically were under the impression that living room computing was going to threaten their Windows empire, when in reality it was mobile that was that threat. How they missed that is insane to me, but they're probably feeling the sting now that Apple caught that first and are having the most profitable quarters of any company in history.

The best thing they gained out of this was the brand, because they're sure as fuck aren't going to make anything worthwhile from just gaming.

They also let Valve take over the PC market with Steam & gained a strong foothold. And all because they feared that Sony would take over the living room.

Look at how well that worked out for them.

Bgamer90

Banned
There's a difference between consoles that were made as pure gaming consoles with multimedia functions, & consoles that were made as multimedia devices that also plays games.

Original Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii U, & PS4 are the former. PS3 & Xbox One are the latter.

A lot of this is simply marketing/advertising. Sony cares about it just as much as MS -- they simply had different plans. Sony took the (in my opinion) smarter plan in focusing on gamers first since hardcore gamers buy consoles early.

The PS4 is pretty much the only current Sony product that's doing very well. Sony has multiple services like Playstation Vue and their new deal with Spotify. They are using the Playstation brand to label their media services. Sony has many studios that make media. Yet you want to tell me the PS4 wasn't made to push multimedia? Can't say I agree at all.

The Wii U's gamepad was made with media in mind -- that was the way they advertised off TV play; Being able to play games while you or someone else watch sports on the big TV. This is on top of the TV remote functions and all of the (pretty standard) media apps.

The PS3 was as much of a gaming console as its predecessors. PS2's DVD push was similar to the Blu-Ray push of the PS3 -- both were the cheapest players of those formats during the time of their release.

The modern console isn't a straight up gaming box anymore. They are all multimedia boxes. The difference simply comes in how the features are advertised to potential consumers.

ironcreed

Banned

Ridiculous. The PS4 and Xbox One are doing the same things in the same market and one offers just as much of a gaming experience as the other. Same with the 360 and PS3. But if you want to really dissect it, the Wii U is more gamer-centric and more like a friendly old game console than any of them. However, even it still has app support, etc. That is just the nature of the beast with all of these modern systems.

Biker19

Banned
Ridiculous. The PS4 and Xbox One are doing the same things in the same market and one offers just as much of a gaming experience as the other. Same with the 360 and PS3. But if you want to really dissect it, the Wii U is more gamer-centric and more like a friendly old game console than any of them. However, even it still has app support, etc. That is just the nature of the beast with all of these modern systems.

The difference is in the specs as well. Why do you think that Microsoft wanted to go with DDR3 RAM, instead of maybe holding out for what Sony is doing with PS4 with GDDR5 RAM? That RAM wasn't really meant for gaming; it was meant for entertainment stuff.

That's the reason why multimedia, etc. plays a lot better on PS3 & on Xbox One, because those consoles were built for multimedia in mind. 360 & PS4 were mostly made as gaming machines in mind, & they showed. While they also had some multimedia stuff, they don't exactly do it very well in comparison to PS3 & Xbox One, such as the Blu-Ray player inside PS4: It pales in comparison to the Blu-Ray player inside PS3.

ironcreed

Banned
The difference is in the specs as well. Why do you think that Microsoft wanted to go with DDR3 RAM, instead of maybe holding out for what Sony is doing with PS4 with GDDR5 RAM? That RAM wasn't really meant for gaming; it was meant for entertainment stuff.

That's the reason why multimedia plays better on PS3 & Xbox One, because they were built for multimedia in mind. 360 & PS4 were mostly made as gaming machines in mind, & they showed. While they also had some multimedia stuff, they don't do it very well in comparison to PS3 & Xbox One.

I own both the PS4 and Xbox One and they both offer the same level of gaming experience for me, as well as a multimedia experience. Same as it was with PS3 and 360, other than the 360 not having blu-ray. The point being, both offer comparable experiences across the board and are pretty much trying to do the same things in the same market.

Yes, Microsoft wanted to offer more of a multimedia 'all-in-one' experience this time around, but it sure as hell has not been at the expense of gaming. I have yet to see any huge advantage that the PS4 holds in this regard, regardless of it being more powerful. The games are there for both, they look and play great on both and more are on the way. But each also push movies and shit to pretty much even levels.

What an awesome console. So powerful :eek:

I remember when I went to my friend's place and saw him playing Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. GODDAMN, that was unreal at the time.

First console to come with an HDD by default. Playing your own music in the background. Forza. So good!

Forkball

Xbox is such a dumb name. I can't believe it was the best they came up with and it stuck. I remember a kid at school swearing it was pronounced "Zbox."

abadguy

Banned
Xbox is such a dumb name. I can't believe it was the best they came up with and it stuck. I remember a kid at school swearing it was pronounced "Zbox."
Yeah all of the consoles have dumb names we just got used to them. I mean come on Playstation? Sounds like one of those toddler toys that Playskool used to make, that would have a steerng wheel and fake telephone on it. Dreamcast sounded like a new fishing Rod, not clear on the thinking behind naming a console Wii then making it worse by adding a U to it.

Celine

Rösti;151343342 said:
xbox_gdc2000_0001_lagx8lpb.png

Unprecedented partnerships.
Most of these companies went either out of business or were bought by bigger publishers.
Time sure flies.

shandy706

I HATED the original Xbox branding. So xtreme and green. It looked like it fell out of a Mountain Dew commercial from 1993.

Sadly it probably did its trick building the "bro gamer" demographic. Meatheads flocked to it. I guess that's why they put branding like that on energy drinks and car amps.

I didn't warm up to their branding until 360 when they started to go for a little bit of techno-chic class.

Wut?

Do people actually think about things like this when buying/looking at a product?

I don't even know what "meathead" or "techno-chic" hardware/advertising is, lol.

I've just played whatever I wanted across the board for the last 25-30 years no matter the advertising or the look of anything.

Just show me the games.

...errr, back OT.....stood in line to pick up the Xbox. I was a multi-console gamer and a PC gamer at the time. I bought the original Xbox after seeing the specs and the GPU it had in it. The system blew my gaming PC away and was a heck of a deal.

kodecraft

Easily the coolest prototype console ever.

It's funny, I'm a huge Nintendo fan at heart, and I like both the PlayStation 3 and PS4 better than their direct competition. I'm an OSX guy. I have an iPhone.

But the more and more I think about it, I really do think the original Xbox may just be my favorite console of all time.

Built-in highspeed internet
Built-in hard drive
720p and 1080i games in 2001/2002
Amazing controller

Halo
Halo 2
KOTOR & KOTOR 2
PGR and PGR2
The Dreamcast sequels
Otogi
Panzer Dragoon
Riddick
Ninja Gaiden
Jade Empire
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

... just so many amazing memories. And LAN play was a blast.

What a new Atari console should have been.

Top Bottom