• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

150Mhz CPU boost on XBO, now in production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
So the xboxone is still weaker then the PS4?

Of course. But this is still nice. Whenever I do one day decide to get an XBO, it's nice to know my dollar will now buy a slightly more powerful platform than it was being advertised as before :)

Epsilon

Banned
http://www.geekwire.com/2013/xbox-update-console-full-production-improved-cpu-performance/

"About one month after improving the GPU clock speed, Mehdi added that Microsoft just made another technical boost by upgrading the CPU performance to 1.75 GHZ from 1.6 GHZ."

Interesting, should add wood to the fire and hopefully result in additional real world performance. I guess we'll see if there is separate confirmation from Albert or Marc on this.

Decisions like that should've been made months in advance, what about the stress testing phase?

Good news. So how much of a teraflop boost is that?

It's a 9.3% boost in clock speed, will result in an additional 9.6 GFLOPS more total CPU compute (112gflop vs 102.4gflop). One jagaur core @1.6 puts out 12.8 GFLOPS, so the boost gives the equivalent of 3/4 of another core - not bad. Though, I'm not sure what kind of in game performance it will actually result in.

Klocker

In the presentation, Yusuf made it sound like they are shipping millions... Said "multiple million enjoying Xbox this holiday season"

of course they are. People expecting only several hundred thousand sold by end of holiday are going to be surprised indeed.

;) before the Sony tech force tries to show us how 1.6 in ps4 is better than 1.75 on xbo due to compute whatchamacallits and thingamajiggies ;)

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Haha, that caught me off guard for an LOL.

Took me back to my first computer days...never found a reason for the turbo button (although I knew why it was implemented).

It originally actually slowed the PC down to a set, spec frequency (8Mhz IIRC) as some x86 software was tied to the frequency and performed badly with higher clocked chips. So getting "Turbo speed" was actually with the switch off, not on.

coldfoot

Banned
No, because SONY/Cerny never talked about it.
But we guess it's 1.6
It's 1.6 from Killzone presentation, of course last minute changes are possible:
wJY9C9Z.png

487710 cycles / 305us = 1599M cycles/second = 1.6 GHz

Is this significant, or is MS trying to make the xbone sound better next to the ps4?

It's significant in that it's more than we thought it would be, and it will obviously help games, however little that may be. And, no, they gain nothing at all by somehow trying to respond to PS4 using these types of methods. Pretty certain these changes are stuff Microsoft are free to make because they designed well enough, but they aren't things they're doing to try and one up Sony. That would be incredibly dumb and pointless.

They surely know that One is inferior to PS4, so they are trying to reduce the gap in every way they can. Reduce, not fill.
Maybe this will give us better multiplatform games, so it's a good thing.

kadotsu

Banned
Everyone should be happy about this. The "weakest" platform getting an upgrade means games that are developed against the lowest common denominator will look better on both platforms.

iMax

Weird. Why are they still overclocking the CPU? At this point in time, they should be mass producing.

Good news I guess?

Console should be in mass production at this stage surely, yet they "just" added this?

Last minute hardware tinkering doesn't sound like a great idea, especially with Microsoft's track record with launch hardware.

They are in mass production. This decision wasn't made overnight.

Good for everyone

X1 games will look better and will raise the bar on the weakest platform to be developed for

Multiplats have more breathing room

Albert being embedded is starting to show.

He knows what will tweak our collective nipples and knows shots fired will keep people "buzzing" about Xbox One. Well done, sir, well done.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
ooo he probably shouldn't go there, the tech heads are about to eviscerate him lol

He's right, if the 1.6 number holds for PS4. The KZSF tech slides in Feb said 1.6 GHz and 6 cores which was exactly in line with what XBO's CPU was before the upclock. There's a chance that PS4 may have less than 1 core dedicated to the OS (according to GopherD) but that rumor is very old and things could have changed when they increased the RAM reservation for the OS. I'm really curious to see why Sony hasn't released CPU specs yet, I'm really curious and they've been extremely open about everything else.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
"We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics"
"Comparing specs is meaningless"
"1.75 > 1.6"

♫One of these three is not like the others. One of these three just does not fit. If you can tell which one is not like the others...♫

Anyway, good shit. The more they reduce the difference between Xbone and PS4 the better it is for multiplats.

KoopaTheCasual

Albert Penello ‏@albertpenello 8m
1.75 > 1.6. http://www.geekwire.com/2013/xbox-update-console-full-production-improved-cpu-performance/ …

Albert taking shots.

lol that's adorable. I thought publishing "a bunch of numbers" didn't matter 2 months ago???

In the presentation, Yusuf made it sound like they are shipping millions... Said "multiple million enjoying Xbox this holiday season"

Didn't Microsoft say they were targeting 3million sales by the end of the holiday season, in regards to that Chinese rumor of downscale?

Raide

This is actually worrying. Are they still even trying to finalize specs at this stage? September is a bit late for that... Could even mean they haven't started production of the console which explains MS hesitance on revealing a release date along with tier 1 and 2 bullshit.

Probably less of a hardware ting and more they tweaked some software settings which let them slightly overclock the CPU without having the temp go too high. Simple PC stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom