• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

150Mhz CPU boost on XBO, now in production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portugeezer

All these changes before manufacturing... and yet they can't remove the online DRM shit; you have to update online.

Dat bait and switch (switch back to their original Xbone policies).

R3TRODYCE

C'mon seriously? That was not a shot - only you guys would think that. I was in a meeting on my phone, shot out a quick tweet. Srsly.

Sony haven't announced the CPU speed, as people have noted. Plus - when I take a pot-shot at the competition I'm gonna be way more obvious than that. I'm not a fan of the passive-aggressive.

As I'm sure you've figured out - you don't announce something like this at the same time you're working on it. Obviously this has been in the works, but now that we're in full production we felt OK about announcing it.

Devs should start seeing this soon - so any performance gains were happening on the 1.6 boxes. (everything at PAX was on the 1.6). This is a boost to developers on top of the optimizations going on.

Lastly - can I PLEASE finally get you over this "we're having production issues" thing that's going around? We increased the GPU 6%. We increased the CPU almost 10%. We have been showing retail boxes. We are now in full production.

If at this point these facts don't outweigh random rumors...
DAT Albert!

If it's really underclocked, I wonder if we can expect another oc with a firmware update in the future, like the one sony did with the psp.
Maybe another 100 mhz for both cpu and gpu.

Doubt it. They only upclocked because it was within whatever their thermal budget is. If they could have gone higher they would have.

Hey Albert, that's hardly disproving the issues rumor. The rumor is specifically around ESRAM, the GPU and CPU clock upticks are nice but is not complementary to it. ;-)

Good on you if you didnt intend that tweet as taking shots.

I know .. ;-)

Honestly my friend, if you're still trying to hold onto this rumor at this point, it's just grasping at straws.

ESRAM is *embedded* in the GPU. You don't have yield problems with ESRAM embedded in the GPU then increase the frequency of the GPU. When we increased the frequency of the GPU we also increased the bandwidth of the ESRAM, so they are directly related.

so CPU is definitively faster on Xbox compared to PS4? Which means physics and next-gen AI and da gameplay are better on the One? And PS4 is only for people who want da graphics and not gameplay?????

also, the above comment is not a serious post, hence my usage of "da". Dear lord, please don't reply to me seriously!

This is gaf though... where common posts contain words such as dat, dis, derp, dem, and bomba all seemingly used in completely seriousness.

timlot

Banned
I've been noticing you quite a lot lately white-knighting Xbone in threads like these.

Did you even read any of the thread?

I don't see any salt going around--I see mostly people saying "good news". So next time try reading a little bit of the thread before you magically assume everyone is picking on little ol' Xbone.

Albert's response validates what I said. Stop following me. Stalker!

Sweep14

No! They play it save.
They already have the stronger hardware, so no need to mess around with it so lately.

Don't know : X1 is at 1.31 Tflops but with a 900 Mhz GPU+ 1.8 Ghz CPU combo, PS4 could bring 2.08 Tflops. Being above 2 Tflops could be a psychological advantage (and a significant power GAP)

I have to say that this furthers my concerns on them launching with a stable machine. This last few months should be testing, cost down and production, they shouldn't still be working on the hardware.

Spongebob

Banned
Honestly my friend, if you're still trying to hold onto this rumor at this point, it's just grasping at straws.

ESRAM is *embedded* in the GPU. You don't have yield problems with ESRAM embedded in the GPU then increase the frequency of the GPU. When we increased the frequency of the GPU we also increased the bandwidth of the ESRAM, so they are directly related.
Weren't the issues with the ESRAM having to do with its size and not its heat production?

nictron

turbo_button.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
All these changes before manufacturing... and yet they can't pre-install the day one patch.

Dat bait and switch (switch back to their original Xbone policies).
They day one patch isnt finished yet, or do you mean just to remove the online-DRM system? But there will most likely be a firmware update on day 1 regardless. I expect the same with PS4. I imagine that they keep working on the OS after the consoles go into manufacturing.

GodofWine

Will the upclock just be done by the day one required patch?? no way they just went into production with xbo..and there is no way they went into production months ago with a built in upclock if they werent sure of it...but i guess they could downlock the upclock on day one if they decided against it...

nevermind :)

headexplodes.gif

aly

This is (I'm assuming) a good thing all around right? If so, then the only thing left that I would like to know is a release date. Any day now would be nice.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I respect Albert coming here to voice his opinion but a PR answer is what we got.

I think it's good. I can't really say much more than that. You guys seem to be "piece mealing" this console while your competition has their act together.

mephixto

Banned
Are you really championing such a meaningless PR damage control response?

Yeah, very unlikely that a MS or Sony representative gonna announce "Hey guys just FYI we are having productions issues on our soon to be released hot new product"

ShapeGSX

If I'm correct, any issue they are having with ESRAM is bad transistors beyond the amount of redundancy they have.

There are lots of possibilities, if there ever was an issue to begin with. There are also lots of ways to fix yield issues, again, if there ever was an issue to begin with.

Amir0x

Banned
Are you really championing such a meaningless PR damage control response?

Albert Penello is good people, he comes into the fire and we all know he has a job to do but he usually does it with respect.

The only issue I have is that Albert says he's not a fan of being passive aggressive, but a lot of his posts leak with a subtext of bitterness that gamers at neoGAF still believe some rumours over his own word.

And the reason this is should be obvious to Albert, as it was in the link I posted in my last post. The reason gamers are skeptical about everything related to MS PR is because they keep changing shit every other day. The list is so long at this point it's easily the most confusing videogame launch in history. And I think Albert could stand to at least admit it's Microsoft's fault for this skepticism.

Given that the Xbone's GPGPU is not as beefy (as PS4), this is indeed a nice boost for it.

CPU is now 112 GFlops
GPU is now 1.31 TFlops

Total is 1.422 TFlops, compared to PS4's 1.945 TFlops.

Serious question: where'd you get these numbers from? I've only seen 1.23/1.31 vs 1.84 for the longest time here until today. Is that 1.945 given a PS4 GPU/CPU boost that hasn't been confirmed?

Krakn3Dfx

All nice and well but so many -fundamental- changes so close to the launch day don't exactly put one's mind at ease.

Eh, the CPU is rated @2Ghz, this isn't enough of a bump to matter. If the console is going to fail, it's going to fail at 1.6Ghz and 1.75Ghz alike. Technically, this is a 9% boost, in reality, it's going to mean very little, that 53Mhz on the GPU means a lot more for gaming performance.

Just so you know, yield issue rumours were never about the cpu or gpu but the Esram. I know they work in tandem, but just thought I'd get that out there.

In fairness, I did hear from a knowledgeable first party that there were some headaches with ESRAM, but going back to my earlier posts on this, or maybe I said this in a pm to a mod, the yield issues were more concerning at one point, but that the situation improved, and they're right where they expected they would be, or something to that effect. I feel too lazy to check my post history. So, even if there were troubles with ESRAM, that didn't necessarily mean they would continue being problems.

It seems they're now in full production and whatever major concerns there may have been are probably all in the rearview mirror by now, and so, technically, when Albert says there's no production issues, he could be right, as when testing various designs and chips, it can't be all that unprecedented that some don't exactly come back as hoped, or the design seems a bit more challenging in the early goings.

freefornow

Dat Albert, yeah!!! "Science bitches"!!!!!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Lastly - can I PLEASE finally get you over this "we're having production issues" thing that's going around? We increased the GPU 6%. We increased the CPU almost 10%. We have been showing retail boxes. We are now in full production.

If at this point these facts don't outweigh random rumors...

I always appreciate you chiming in, Albert, but no. It came from a reliable source that has already gotten hardware right.

I don't want to discredit you, but at least the source isn't worried about representing a company.

So if you should get outsold by the competition this year "supply constraints" will not be a valid excuse - did I understand that correctly?

Damn.

C'mon seriously? That was not a shot - only you guys would think that. I was in a meeting on my phone, shot out a quick tweet. Srsly.

Sony haven't announced the CPU speed, as people have noted. Plus - when I take a pot-shot at the competition I'm gonna be way more obvious than that. I'm not a fan of the passive-aggressive.

https://twitter.com/albertpenello/status/375020375824150528
Albert Penello
‏@albertpenello
1.75 > 1.6.

Screen-Shot-2013-08-20-at-6.56.07-PM.png

rrrrrright, says EmptySpace.
srsly.

Brashnir

Hey Albert, that's hardly disproving the issues rumor. The rumor is specifically around ESRAM, the GPU and CPU clock upticks are nice but is not complementary to it. ;-)

Good on you if you didnt intend that tweet as taking shots.

I know .. ;-)

Do you know what the E in ESRAM stands for?

Enectic

Banned
How can it be ahead if they've just finished tweaking and testing the hardware for final clock speeds? :p Behind a decision to change clock speeds there are tons of stress tests on prototype units.
What they sent to FCC back in June (or whenever they sent it) isn't even the final thing and should be revised.
Don't be fooled by PR ;)

Eh, the FCC is the Federal Communications Commission. Their main objective is:

The object is to make sure that electronics connected to the public telephone network or transmitting radio frequencies over public airways do so effectively, safely, and without interfering with other equipment.

Some people seem to think that the FCC stress tests these machine's operability and overall stability when in reality they're only interested in the communication frequencies they transmit. They don't really care about many of the technical specifications of the devices they test and I hardly doubt they're all that interested in the specific clock speed of the device (as long as the internal hardware didn't drastically change). Even the PS4 filing doesn't have a specific clock speed and only lists a max of 2.75GHz. Don't be fooled by faceless words on the internet ;).

EDIT: My confusion in regards to the clock speed. It doesn't state exactly to what it's referring to (only has "Maximum clock frequency in system: 2.75GHz) but some people have said this actually refers to the memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom