• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

16 months since last MCU movie...

trikster40

So, the juggernaut that was the MCU has not seen a new entry in 16 months, and the next movie Black Widow is now scheduled for a November release date. Production was halted on others, and we haven’t even seen a tease for anything else in Phase 4.

Has the MCU lost itS momentum in the aftermath of Endgame? Was it due to COVID, or are people kind of over the MCU now that the major characters are either gone or taking a backseat to lesser known characters?

When are they going to weave in the X-Men, Deadpool, Fantastic Four? Are there going to be the connections and overall interweaving plot, or are they going to go the route of standalone movies?

I have faith that the MCU will make some spectacular movies, but I just don’t know if they can keep me coming back for 10 years like before. I’ll definitely go watch GotG Vol 3, but the Eternals, Black Widow, I just don’t feel the pull to go see them in the theaters, especially when I can just wait a few months and watch it in 4K from the comfort of my couch.

What are your thoughts/visions of the MCU moving forward? Is the best behind us, or will Marvel reinvent themselves and keep you coming back for more?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What are your thoughts/visions of the MCU moving forward? Is the best behind us, or will Marvel reinvent themselves and keep you coming back for more?

I think it'll keep being what it always is: movies that are always fun popcorn watches & on rare occasions spectacular. Its not going to be anything super exciting until they get to X-Men but sure I'll watch em.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
tumblr_mg3orzRBPs1rganeno1_250.gif

If anything I think it's a good thing. I needed a break from their style and even with A List I likely would have skipped Black Widow.

Last edited:

Corpsepyre

Banned
Never thought it'd take a pandemic to bring Marvel/Disney's house down, but I'm hardly mad.

But seriously, I hope when it DOES come back, it moves on and updates itself in a post-pandemic world and shift the threats from the big bads to something more visceral and psychological.

Stouffers

Banned
I didn’t even notice. When you have responsibilities that keep you busy, time ain’t nothing but a thing.. unless we’re talking about Metroid Prime 4.

sol_bad

Lesser known heroes?
You do realise that Captain America, Thor and Hulk were also lesser known heroes right? And no one knew who the Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange or Ant-Man was. When I say "no one", I mean the general populous of course. Have a look at the box office numbers for the phase 1 films for Hulk, Cap and Thor, they are extremely low compared to what they make now. Iron Man was some crazy lightning in a bottle scenario because I'm pretty sure that in 2008 barely anyone knew who he was.

What I am trying to say is that it doesn't matter if Marvel has lesser know characters in phase 4 because they had lesser known characters in phase 1 and they grew those characters to be house hold names and to become more famous than Batman or Superman. Phase 4 is a new beginning with new characters and just like the new characters in phase 1 they'll grow to become household names.

:)

LordCBH

I’m interested in the future movies, but I’m not invested as a fan like I was with everything leading up to Endgame. 10 years of hype likely can’t and won’t be replicated again.

bitbydeath

Shows like The Boys and Umbrella Academy being able to pull Hollywood level SFX has also put a dampen on MCU.

Even better that they aren’t aimed at kids.

quickwhips

Ive been watching old movies from the peak of action movie. I appreciate the marvel universe they created and will watch more but i do appreciate the break also.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think waiting is the smartest thing they could have done. It was building to a conclusion, and it had to breathe.

Also smart to start back with smaller stories. Slowly introduce new elements individually and then build up again.

Just not sure it's going to be actually good enough to keep people's attention. The timing wasn't the problem though.

Covid killed the momentum. Endgame did feel like final episode of the show but even if the movies went bad it woulda been a winding down.

Though one issue I have they didn't leave really a buncha interesting hooks to fall back on after Endgame, so now it's like they're starting over from scratch again. The idea of building up some giant shit again seems tiresome so for me personally they'll have to slowly reel me back in.

And for a good while when these movies were firing on all cylinders I reallywanted them to do X-Men, as proper X-Men would make the Avengers look like the dorks they are but I no longer trust Hollywood to pull that off anymore.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
After Endgame I’m kinda done with the hype until they start adding Wolverine and Deadpool in there.

Phase 4 just didn’t seem very exciting to me anyway. Had to force myself to watch Spider-Man FFH on demand and it was okay I guess.

Neolombax

I like the MCU movies, they're a fun watch. But after Endgame, I felt as though that was the end of MCU. I don't miss it, but I don't mind watching more though.

Lesser known heroes?
You do realise that Captain America, Thor and Hulk were also lesser known heroes right? And no one knew who the Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange or Ant-Man was. When I say "no one", I mean the general populous of course. Have a look at the box office numbers for the phase 1 films for Hulk, Cap and Thor, they are extremely low compared to what they make now. Iron Man was some crazy lightning in a bottle scenario because I'm pretty sure that in 2008 barely anyone knew who he was.

What I am trying to say is that it doesn't matter if Marvel has lesser know characters in phase 4 because they had lesser known characters in phase 1 and they grew those characters to be house hold names and to become more famous than Batman or Superman. Phase 4 is a new beginning with new characters and just like the new characters in phase 1 they'll grow to become household names.

Even Iron Man was low tier Marvel before the movie became a surprise hit. People forget that these days.

DKehoe

It’s been good to get a break from it. Although I can’t say I’m that hyped for a Black Widow film.

buizel

Banned
Shows like The Boys and Umbrella Academy being able to pull Hollywood level SFX has also put a dampen on MCU.

Even better that they aren’t aimed at kids.

actually has style unlike MCU films

MCU films are filmed really.. cheaply.,. and they look like a budget TV show most of the time outside of the crazy cgi battles.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
One of the only positives that came out of Covid was giving everyone a break from Marvel and Star Wars.

Besides is anyone really interested in this new Phase or upcoming Phases with tge exception of Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness?

I was slightly interested/curious about Eternals but even that now seems so distant I lost any cares.

Last edited:

Teslerum

I think it'll keep being what it always is: movies that are always fun popcorn watches & on rare occasions spectacular. Its not going to be anything super exciting until they get to X-Men but sure I'll watch em.

Please no. I have a great fear for how a current age marvel X-Men is going to end up.

Lesser known heroes?

Some characters have the potential to become household names, some don't. Not every lesser known hero will become super popular.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Please no. I have a great fear for how a current age marvel X-Men is going to end up.

At least Cyclops would be an actual character. And as much as I love the Fox movies, half of them were genuinely terrible and the other half were directed by a pedophile if we're being honest.

Davey Cakes

I loved the lead up to Endgame and the payoff, and Far from Home was fun, but we were clearly headed for franchise fatigue across the board. The Black Widow movie actually looks decent but it's just not necessary right now.

When Phase 4 comes around, it'll be really refreshing with all the lesser-represented properties.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I currently have zero hype or interest in anything that's on offer for Phase 4.

That being said, I might tune them in when they're streaming in 8K for free on Amazon prime in about 10 years.

Best Marvel films:

Winter Soldier
Iron Man
Ragnarok
Guardians
Ant Man

The rest swim in a budget hotel swimming pool. Sometimes a hot chick nip slip moment happens but more times than not you see a floating turd.

manfestival

I love the movies and all. I have been content since the movies were so good and had such a satisfying ending(to me). I just feel no real desire to watch anything MCU in the theater until they release something big at the moment.

Top Bottom