• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

16 months since last MCU movie...

trikster40

Lesser known heroes?
You do realise that Captain America, Thor and Hulk were also lesser known heroes right? And no one knew who the Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange or Ant-Man was. When I say "no one", I mean the general populous of course. Have a look at the box office numbers for the phase 1 films for Hulk, Cap and Thor, they are extremely low compared to what they make now. Iron Man was some crazy lightning in a bottle scenario because I'm pretty sure that in 2008 barely anyone knew who he was.

What I am trying to say is that it doesn't matter if Marvel has lesser know characters in phase 4 because they had lesser known characters in phase 1 and they grew those characters to be house hold names and to become more famous than Batman or Superman. Phase 4 is a new beginning with new characters and just like the new characters in phase 1 they'll grow to become household names.

:)

I wouldn’t call them lesser known, maybe less popular but everyone knew who they were. They’ve all even had their own games. I’d say the only characters most people had absolutely no clue about was GotG, and thank Gunn they got a good writer/director and smart casting for that one.

I forgot about Dr Strange and Thor on Phase 4. Dr Strange for sure, and I trust Taika Waititi for Thor.

Hinedorf

Banned
Eternals is going to bomb so very hard. Seems like somebody thought let's take some obscure Marvel characters and put them in a big film ala Guardians of the Galaxy. And then they casted it with Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek, the Stark brothers, Kumail (look at my new muscles) Nan....Nanja...Nanjagonnaworkhereanymore

A bunch of brooding asshole actors who have very little humorous charm all compiled into a Super Hero Movie.......that's basically DC's formula! None of these actors are right for a Disney super hero movie the same way Brie Larson does.

Calling it now, Disney will start scrapping the obscure ones that aren't in development yet. Bad time for your first Chinese super hero with the current American president referring to Covid as the Kung Flu....yeesh

Grinchy

Banned
They did such good work getting to Endgame that I can't write them off completely, but I personally don't have any interest left.

A movie like Joker is so refreshing after the same superhero movie formula over and over again. What will the MCU do? Introduce some new big bad guy that they lead up to for the next 10 years? I'm just not dying to do it again.

Reactions: MrS

Javthusiast

Banned
I am mildly interested in Black Widow, hoping it will be a solid action spy movie. Curious about Sam Raimis Doctor Strange, rest...meh. Not really chomping at the bits for a new mcu movie.

More hyped about Fast 9, lmao. Gotta get my mi familia fix.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Good.

They were churning several of these out on a yearly basis it lead to MCU burnout, at least for me.

sol_bad

I loved the lead up to Endgame and the payoff, and Far from Home was fun, but we were clearly headed for franchise fatigue across the board. The Black Widow movie actually looks decent but it's just not necessary right now.

When Phase 4 comes around, it'll be really refreshing with all the lesser-represented properties.

Franchise fatigue?
With Far From Home making 1.2 billion dollars? The highest grossing Spider-Man film to date?

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

Franchise fatigue?
With Far From Home making 1.2 billion dollars? The highest grossing Spider-Man film to date?
Well, Spider-Man might be the exception. The game did well. Venom and Spiderverse did well.

These properties will always perform, but I have to wonder if we were on the precipice of diminishing returns with at least some of the Avengers-related content. Spider-Man Homecoming was 2017 and MCU Spidey came about in 2016, so at least it was a relatively new take on that character.

Or I could just be completely wrong. XD

Last edited:

karasu

They're going to clean up when things reopen and people reacclimate themselves to the theater experience with a big shiny Marvel movie that hits every nostalgic note.

Top Bottom