• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe: Sad, frustrating, potentially super disrespectful news dropping tomorrow about Playstation

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont see how a studio shutting down would be such a giant disaster. Studios big and small get shut down or get lay offs all the time.

Assuming it is big news (and not Jaffe hyperbole), I’ll say it has something to do with business strategy like ports or a big culture shock exposed.

BoxFresh123

Could be BS but someone on reddit who says they watched his video said this

It's a major name individual that has a "team", but it doesn't seem like a giant layoff or a studio closure. Jaffe focuses on this individual and mentions their "team" but there's no indication of size or what he means by that.

Jaffe goes on about "their PlayStation pedigree" and "everything they've done for PlayStation."

It's not about Jim Ryan, as in news that he was booted rather than willing retirement.

He says he doesn't know if this person leaving is connected to Jim Ryan leaving as in that whoever takes Jim's spot is pushing that team out.

dottme

So the big boss change, and then he is changing part of the management below him. This won’t be surprising.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
Sad, frustrating, potentially super disrespectful clickbait posted by javid daffe.
This. It’s most likely layoffs, which are affecting everyone in tech or tech adjacent right now. He’s also making it about himself right now locking info behind paid subs and teases of PS doom.

It’s hyperbolic at best and really takes away from the seriousness of what’s going on - which is people losing jobs, income, stability, etc

Last edited:

nial

I read about the death of the Pureisutēshon every single week at this point.
Sony Bend is closing and their project(s) cancelled.

That's the only news that would suck to read because it's essentially kicking a team while they're already down.
SIE is usually pretty harsh with its internal divisions (Santa Monica/San Diego/Bend/London/Liverpool/Japan Studio, PixelOpus, Team Asobi, etc.), as opposed to giving its subsidiaries a lot of chances most of the time. If the next SIE Bend Studio game flops, then it's over for them.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Probably this:
Hungry Food GIF

mhirano

My guess:
-Mark Cerni was poached by Apple
-All AAA titles will launch day one on PS Plus Pass
-Hideo Kojima and Neil Druckmann quit gamedev and were poached by Sony Studios
-PS3 Back-compat emulator was ready but was canned before launch

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sad, frustrating, potentially super disrespectful news dropping tomorrow about Playstation if my sources are correct. I talk around it in this members only video but in less than 24 hours I'm sure the journalists will get hold of it and tell the tale. It's not a lock but these 2 sources (both work at Playstation) have never once been wrong in sharing what they share.

Just going over his tweet.

- He says the news is dropping tomorrow and that journalists will get hold of it and tell the tale. So if he says the journalist will get the story, then that means the news is likely coming directly from Sony.

Maybe someone else is going to announce that he's leaving.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Potentially super disrespectful news?
Probably, if his sources are right, the news will drop tomorrow.
MAYBE (depends), not too much will change.

And then he releases a video for his members only?
That smells like some big bullshit.
Sorry it smells like that to you, pal.

Reality is, I made a video for my paying members that gave them a little more info but nothing massive because- again- it's not my story to break.

The video for members tho is one way (of many, I'd like to think) I give people something extra for being a member on the channel. There's no ulterior motive; I WANTED them to get something extra because they support the channel w/their ducats. That's kinda how it works, you know?

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I hate this bullshit. Just say it or keep quiet. But since we're here. I bet Shuhei Yoshida or Scott is leaving Playstation.

T0minator

Reality is, I made a video for my paying members that gave them a little more info but nothing massive because- again- it's not my story to break.

The video for members tho is one way (of many, I'd like to think) I give people something extra for being a member on the channel. There's no ulterior motive; I WANTED them to get something extra because they support the channel w/their ducats. That's kinda how it works, you know?
Hopefully it's not Media Molecule shutting down...or Shu let go... Those two would be depressing

While you are here -

Layoffs or studio closure? Or something else?

You know you're going to be quoted, if it's not your story to tell, nothing should have been tweeted.
If you have a scoop I'd much rather hear it from you than having to see a new thread starting with "Breaking - Bloomberg's Jason Schrier..."

Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Office

nial

enjoyin' that twitter clout?
Happy Face Smile GIF

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

thank you for making god of war :messenger_sunglasses:

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
enjoyin' that twitter clout?
Happy Face Smile GIF
You must not have any or have ever had any if you think it's something to enjoy.

I tweet shit that's on my mind; that's what it's for.

It's getting old, all you cynical folks always thinking there's always another agenda.

Perhaps it makes sense, esp if you are under the age of 40. It's how society raised you. I don't blame you. I wouldn't trust shit either, if I had to deal with what that gen has. That said tho, I'm just tweeting, man. That's all it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom