• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

18 games launching on Nintendo Switch this week in North America

heringer

Be interesting to see if we start to get stories of decent games flopping on switch because there's too many other games

Oh, It will happen, just like it happens with every console. That sure won't stop people from saying it's because third party games don't sell on Nintendo platforms.

Oregano

Weren't people complaining about Nintendo do being too stingy with Dev kits/Indies a while back?

They just can't win.

nelo_inc

Really glad to see a game like FIFA 18 coming to the Switch, maybe this will mark a continuous support by EA!

PokéKong

That sure is a lot of games to send out to die under the banner of a major Picross launch.

The eShop as it is gets the job done. It's an almost frighteningly quick and easy process to purchase a game, and it's not so big yet that finding what you want is a problem. I say don't push them to make a bunch of big changes too fast, just look at PSN with its massively overgrown list of tabs and sections with overlapping content and obnoxious layout. Sometimes less is more.

If discovering games you weren't aware of becomes a greater need, I think they should just work on the news tab. More effectively show you what new games are coming out, or showing good ones you might've missed, without even having to open the shop.

FelipeMGM

That would imply that Switch inherits the features which make the App Store fill up with trash.

Publishing on Switch is nowhere near as open to everyone as Steam Greenlight or the App Store. But the actual friction of publishing a game is lower, for the publishers who are releasing games.

I understand that, and Im not worried that the situation on Steam or App Store will replicate 1:1 to the eShop. Its just that on the PS Store for example, we are already seeing some negative examples of that easier model. I just hope Nintendo does a better job curating that content then PlayStation does

I understand that, and Im not worried that the situation on Steam or App Store will replicate 1:1 to the eShop. Its just that on the PS Store for example, we are already seeing some negative examples of that easier model. I just hope Nintendo does a better job curating that content then PlayStation does

Nintendo has learned a lot from the Wii U eShop.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The Wii had dozens of awful mini game collections. Carnival Games anyone. Quantity is not as important as quality
The switch has a comparable number of 80+ meta critic rated games as the ps4 did 6 months into it's lifespan. It's not exactly hurting for quality either.

Scrawnton

The switch has a comparable number of 80+ meta critic rated games as the ps4 did 6 months into it's lifespan. It's not exactly hurting for quality either.
Shhh. That doesn't fit his argument.

I hope Golf Story reviews well. It'd be nice to see another indie success story this year.

gtj1092

That would imply that Switch inherits the features which make the App Store fill up with trash.

Publishing on Switch is nowhere near as open to everyone as Steam Greenlight or the App Store. But the actual friction of publishing a game is lower, for the publishers who are releasing games.

It happens with every store front that allows self publishing. Unless switch sales fall off a cliff it will happen on the eShop too. PSN just had a week where 30 games released, only God knows how many games release each week on steam. It's inevitable.

hzsn724

Nintendo is driving my wallet by these constant releases and the user friendly format of the eshop. Between specific game channels for news, a clean user face, and killer releases like Thimbleweed Park and Sonic Mania, there's something I'm interested in almost every week or so.

Not buying these for now, because I just got this.
G1Jhbu9.jpg

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I didn’t realise Earth Atlantis was launching this week

Too many games 😞😞
I'm super stoked for EA. I'm not really too much of a shooter guy but it looks so unique, and it kind of gives me Guardian Legend vibes with the whole underwater look to it. I'm definitely going to be picking this up.

I'm sorry for the silly question, but anyone know the next Beat 'em up coming?

That is true, but again, the PS Store doesn't have universal SKUs or multi-region publishing. There are separate SKUs for each region, for each game, which is why save files and DLC aren't cross-compatible.

(On Switch DLC is region-free with universal SKUs as the game file is identical all around the world).

Agreed with the overall sentiment though. Right now Switch dev kits aren't freely available, so it'll be interesting to see what happens when they are. Maybe that's why the News app is used for curation and not the eShop itself.

PokéKong;250165712 said:
That sure is a lot of games to send out to die under the banner of a major Picross launch.

The eShop as it is gets the job done. It's an almost frighteningly quick and easy process to purchase a game, and it's not so big yet that finding what you want is a problem. I say don't push them to make a bunch of big changes too fast, just look at PSN with its massively overgrown list of tabs and sections with overlapping content and obnoxious layout. Sometimes less is more.

If discovering games you weren't aware of becomes a greater need, I think they should just work on the news tab. More effectively show you what new games are coming out, or showing good ones you might've missed, without even having to open the shop.

This so much. I was trying to look for a list of recents on the PS Store on my PS4 the other day and it took way too many button presses than was necessary. (It turns out it was through a few menu options on the left pane, and then you had to scroll all the way to the right afterward). Luckily the PS Web store is more straightforward with filtering options.

Josh7289

Yeah, it’s a great system. Nintendo handles digital publishing better than any other console platform holder now. As a customer I love the universal app feature. It’s nice knowing I have the one global version of a game, and as someone who loves languages it’s fun to switch around and try out games I like in other languages.

I'm super stoked for EA. I'm not really too much of a shooter guy but it looks so unique, and it kind of gives me Guardian Legend vibes with the whole underwater look to it. I'm definitely going to be picking this up.

I'm sorry for the silly question, but anyone know the next Beat 'em up coming?

Burning Fight via NeoGeo ACA tomorrow for 6.99
pretty average final fight clone but lots of fun in 2 player mode. good graphics and sound.
uGDv4s

I will get it (i'm a hardcore oldschool beatemup fan though).

mutation nation and robo army (both neogeo games as well and better than burning fight) will arrive soon.
gC3pjL

nxKLDt

if you are more into more "modern" stuff (rendered graphics, no bitmaps):
The Takeover is also announced for switch. no release date though
video

DonF

Quality over quantity. Its good that there are alternatives, but those 18 games aren't that hot.

Quality over quantity. Its good that there are alternatives, but those 18 games aren't that hot.
Just because they're indie doesn't mean they can't be quality, this is a tired old argument that I thought would be been crushed by now but I guess not. Golf Story for example is getting very good early impressions.

Kouriozan

It's probably the best time to release indies now before Mario eat all the sales.
Getting Picross S and Golf Story for sure.

ReaperXL7

I'm interested in some of those.

Golf story could be a buy but I'm not sure how I feel about it being separated into "levels" I would have preferred it being a connected world similar to Stardew.

Brave Dungeon looks like it could be a pretty cool dungeon crawler, but I want to look into it a bit more. Definitely a genre curt lacking on Switch.

Lastly I'm curious about One Piece, the warriors spin off didn't really capture my attention but I've always been tempted to get into one piece. World red looks like is something like a One Piece hunting game? I know it came out on previous systems but it doesn't seem easy to find a consensus on it.

If I pick up those three it wouldn't be a bad month but I'm going to hold out till I do more research on each.

Meffer

While I do agree they need to update the eShop for better browsing, the News app does a wonderful job showing new releases. They even direct to games' eShop page if you want.

Yet still not anything I want, but good for people that like those games. Just waiting on Atlus to make a game I want on the system, and for enough Vita development to jump there.

Yet still not anything I want, but good for people that like those games.

Yeah, of that list of 19 games, I'm interested in 0 of them.

While I credit Nintendo for enticing a lot of devs to put games on Switch, I'm afraid it might have a backlash effect if the system gets flooded with a lot of bad games and the good games end up getting lost in the shuffle.

Quantity is nice, but quality is the most important. Switch thus far has struck a nice balance of each, but I'm afraid that reports of some top-notch indie and small games performing better on Switch than on other platforms is going to lead to every small dev dumping their garbage on Switch in hopes to jump on that same trend.

Shall we need the return of the "Nintendo Seal of Quality"?

Deemo and Picross beg to disagree.

F2P? According to Nintendo Life, it will cost $30.

I guess I should say "Free to Start". You can play the core of the game with a set amount of songs, then you pay $30 to unlock all the songs.
If it's anything like the android version, it's a good 20 songs that are unlocked from the get-go, and I'd say 90% of them are really really good ones.

Rellik

Yet still not anything I want, but good for people that like those games. Just waiting on Atlus to make a game I want on the system, and for enough Vita development to jump there.

Atlus don't have the time to make games. They're busy targeting legal emulators and telling gamers to fuck off.

Top Bottom