• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

18 games launching on Nintendo Switch this week in North America

Actually, it's 19. ACA NeoGeo Burning Fight is also releasing this week (though not yet listed on either website or eShop).

Wasn't expecting this to be a thing six months after launch, but here we are. Via Gonintendo, here is the list:

- One Piece: Unlimited World Red Deluxe Edition
- FIFA 18
- Arcade Archives Mario Bros.
- Picross S
- Golf Story
- Tower of Babel
- Sparkle 2
- Earth Atlantis
- Deemo
- Conga Master Party!
- Pankapu
- Inversus Deluxe
- Butcher
- Brave Dungeon + Dark Witch Story: COMBAT
- Binaries
- Astro Bears Party
- Physical Contact: Picture Place

This speaks volumes about how Nintendo (with help from Nvidia) has improved its development and publishing processes.

For instance, Image & Form, developer of last week's SteamWorld Dig 2, compared publishing on Switch to the Steam or App Store model, rather than traditional console publishing:

”But with the Switch, we only have to make one version and only have one launch – and that's one version for the entire world, so we'll have the same version in the US, Europe and a little bit later, Japan and China as well. That saves so much work. It means we can do the translations ourselves, we don't have to have a new publisher for one specific region - it's going to be so much easier. They're basically taking the Steam or App Store approach: one version of the game for the entire world."

This probably reduces a fair bit of friction when publishing games - many Switch games are released as what you might call 'universal SKUs'. There's only one game file for the entire world, and that same package is listed across every eShop when it's ready, and published to game card.

For instance, Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2, Namco Museum, Fate: Extella, Thumper and TumbleSeed are a small handful of the universal SKUs available. If you bought these games on another country's eShop, they show as "purchased" everywhere else because the game's listing is global.

Social

If they can keep this up all the way through 2018, I will believe them on the "improvements", for all we know we could be hit with empty months again real soon.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If they can keep this up all the way through 2018, I will believe them on the "improvements", for all we know we could be hit with empty months again real soon.

Unlikely.

Also, next week will see the eShop release of Axiom Verge and Oxenfree

Stardew Valley is dropping any week now as well

Switch killing it

L~A

Actually, it's 19. ACA NeoGeo Burning Fight is also releasing this week (though not yet listed on either website or eShop).

oti

Banned
Which out of those 18 games will be the game that sells great numbers because there are no other games?

guit3457

Also, next week will see the eShop release of Axiom Verge and Oxenfree

Stardew Valley is dropping any week now as well

Switch killing it

Stardew Valley approval for the Switch was in the front page of Reddit yesterday. Its going to sell a lot switches itself

Lol a lot of those releases are pretty bad or small though. I’m not knocking the Switch, but still.

With Oddysey coming out next month though... drool.

Which out of those 18 games will be the game that sells great numbers because there are no other games?

I do wish there were games on this thing. It's collecting dust since i finished Steamworld Dig yesterday and i see nothing on the horizon till Picross.

Any concrete big releases after xenoblade announced yet?

The new Atelier game lands in mid-December but that'll probably be Japan-only until 2018. I think Lost Sphear is out early next year as well. I can see Project Octopath Traveler and Dragon Quest Builders being early 2018 as well.

Still, it's clear that new Switch games get announced for release pretty soon before the fact and I suspect it's intentional.

seady

I do wish there were games on this thing. It's collecting dust since i finished Steamworld Dig yesterday and i see nothing on the horizon till Picross.

You house must be very dusty. Just finished a game on the Switch yesterday and it’s already collecting dust. And Picross is coming tomorrow.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Any concrete big releases after xenoblade announced yet?

This thread is just about general improvement of Nintendo relationship with developers in terms od developing and publishing of games.

I replied to a post with regard of "months of no content" - which is very unlikely considering the Switch situation right now and how many devs/pubs are willing to bring their games over.

I didnt mention anything about "big" releases.

With so much content out there isnt much reason to talk about 2018 and further stuff right now. After both Nindie showcases this year and the success stories of Dig 2 and co. it should be obv. that those devs just wont abandon the system as it sells more units.

Most big publishers havent unveiled their 2018 lineup yet and wont talk about it before next year.

Newline

I'm guessing it's the one thats already on every other platform but everyones been holding out on playing it because they'd rather play it on the platform that they have no games for.

Not sure this is necesseraly a good thing in the long run, seeing how chaotic and filled with scam trash the App store became.

I mean the main difference is there's relatively more vetting on the Switch than there is on iOS or Android, considering they have to supply dev kits.

FelipeMGM

I mean the main difference is there's relatively more vetting on the Switch than there is on iOS or Android, considering they have to supply dev kits.

True, thats why right now its not a problem, but the PS4 is having issues with that kind of output for sometime already, so eventually I see that becoming an issue on the Switch too

sugarless

They sell cheap capacitive styluses on Amazon that attach onto your device via the audio jack when not in use.

I don't think Picross S supports touch controls, though. The DS and 3DS had resistive touch panels which allowed precise stylus input. The capacitive, smartphone-style screen on the Switch doesn't AFAIK? In any case I think it's button controls only. Fine with me as I use that anyway to reduce input errors!

Galava

I'm guessing it's the one thats already on every other platform but everyones been holding out on playing it because they'd rather play it on the platform that they have no games for.

Are we finally changing Switch's name? NGP (No Games Platform)

I don't think Picross S supports touch controls, though. The DS and 3DS had resistive touch panels which allowed precise stylus input. The capacitive, smartphone-style screen on the Switch doesn't AFAIK? In any case I think it's button controls only. Fine with me as I use that anyway to reduce input errors!

Hm, you're right, the trailer is implying button scrolling.

Also two player mode? Get outta town.

project octopath traveller
yoshi
kirby
wolfensten
doom

Hmm... Im interested in octopath. The last two ill already be done with by then.
Not a fan of kirby but the 3ds games were fun so i may try that.
Yoshi i couldn't care less about. Hope they knock it out of the park in the final direct of the year.
If not, i still have shit loads to play early next year.

Also i just remembered its getting lost sphear in January.

This thread is just about general improvement of Nintendo relationship with developers in terms od developing and publishing of games.

I replied to a post with regard of "months of no content" - which is very unlikely considering the Switch situation right now and how many devs/pubs are willing to bring their games over.

I didnt mention anything about "big" releases.

With so much content out there isnt much reason to talk about 2018 and further stuff right now. After both Nindie showcases this year and the success stories of Dig 2 and co. it should be obv. that those devs just wont abandon the system as it sells more units.

Most big publishers havent unveiled their 2018 lineup yet and wont talk about it before next year.

It was more of a general inquiry.
But big publishers have revealed quite a few big 2018 games. Monhun, dissidia, ni no kuni, dbzf, read dead, kingdom hearts, dq11, no more heroes, fire emblem etc off the top of my head. Not including sony's games Offcourse.

ryushe

Bought One Piece from the Japanese eShop a month ago (don't sleep on that game y'all, it's damn good), but if not for that, this would've been an expensive ass month.

Not sure this is necesserally a good thing in the long run, seeing how chaotic and filled with scam trash the App store became.

That would imply that Switch inherits the features which make the App Store fill up with trash.

Publishing on Switch is nowhere near as open to everyone as Steam Greenlight or the App Store. But the actual friction of publishing a game is lower, for the publishers who are releasing games.

Nintendo really needs to improve the eshop layout.

The eShop layout needs to show more items per page in the Recent Releases category, for sure. Having filters by time of release might be better too.

I wouldn't want them to start curating on the eShop though. They should continue to refine the News page on the home menu, that's where all the curation happens for new and upcoming software releases.

ramparter

Banned
Its not about what they say or promise. Switch is getting support because its succesful and games seem to do well so far on the console.

Top Bottom