• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

18 minutes of Uncharted 4 gameplay

Javin98

Banned
Looking at Drake here in actual gameplay, his model and shaders look nothing like the in-game cutscenes. There's' also no occlusion on the ground while he's in shadow. His hair seems like a bowl now instead of stripes like in the cutscenes (i.e. looking like a sharp contrast against the wall). And no SSS on his arms or head.

Hmmm..
Are you really comparing the gameplay and cutscene models based on this compressed to hell pic?

Venom Fox

Banned
What's the story with this? That's a hell of a thing to adjust after advertising it with a bit more flair.
You do realise the only thing they've adjusted is when Sam stands up and the camera angle.

If you actually look at the pics, the story trailer one is quite a bit further down the hill, around the corner even.

Other than that I really don't know what your getting at.

Edit: Beaten like an unwanted ginger child.

Looking at Drake here in actual gameplay, his model and shaders look nothing like the in-game cutscenes. There's' also no occlusion on the ground while he's in shadow. His hair seems like a bowl now instead of stripes like in the cutscenes (i.e. looking like a sharp contrast against the wall). And no SSS on his arms or head.

Hmmm..
Nah there are clearly different models for different levels of detail. But the transitions are probably really really smooth.

You do realise the only thing they've adjusted is when Sam stands up and the camera angle.

If you actually look at the pics, the story trailer one is quite a bit further down the hill, around the corner even.

Other than that I really don't know what your getting at.

Edit: Beaten like an unwanted ginger child.
I came in to this thread blind. Took that post at face value. My bad.

-griffy-

Banned
Different location. Top one is closer to the volcano
Same location, same scene. Top one is a trailer and is using a narrower lens and "cinematic" camera angle so the volcano fills up more of the frame, vs the normal gameplay camera below. Nothing shady or weird going on, it's just how focal length compresses space.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.

Hmmm..

Man, you have some eagle eyes if you can spot the absence of all this just by looking at this piss poor youtube capture.

I'm mighty impressed (and a little envy).

zsynqx

Same location, same scene. Top one is a trailer and is using a narrower lens and "cinematic" camera angle so the volcano fills up more of the frame, vs the normal gameplay camera below. Nothing shady or weird going on, it's just how focal length compresses space.

Nope, they are different locations. You see him driving on in this gameplay and it doesn't resemble the area from the story trailer.

Venom Fox

Banned
Nah there are clearly different models for different levels of detail. But the transitions are probably really really smooth.
If you watch any of Naughty dogs making of video, they have little snippets that show you cut scenes being adjusted. Things like rigging the lighting, cinematic camera angles etc.

Naughty Dog have already said they're using the same assets in cut scenes and gameplay.

Think of it like the Last of Us photo mode. The character models look a lot better due to you being able to frame the shot to focus on the more pretty things.

I came in to this thread blind. Took that post at face value. My bad.
Yeah, I could see why one would think like that. Anyway it's all good :)

nib95

Banned

Hmmm..

You're really going to judge those things from a horribly compressed YouTube grab? YouTube compression + motion blur = can't see shit captain. You can see examples of his hair actually looking normal in other gameplay sections.

NT7dWa.jpg

Yurikerr

The marking could be more subtle though. Like a colored dot above the head would be quite enough.

At distance the "diamond" is much smaller. Maybe it's that big to fill up and show the enemy awareness level?

But it's really ugly.

Hmmm..
I appreciate your enthusiasm for technical details, but it's too soon my friend, with the wrong source at your disposal.

foxbeldin

At distance the "diamond" is much smaller. Maybe it's that big to fill up and show the enemy awareness level?

But it really is ugly.

It's not just the diamond (yes it fills up), it's the outline. They could get rid of it completely.
I know you read ND, please put a toggle for the outline. It's ugly.

If you watch any of Naughty dogs making of video, they have little snippets that show you cut scenes being adjusted. Things like rigging the lighting, cinematic camera angles etc.

Naughty Dog have already said they're using the same assets in cut scenes and gameplay.

Doesn't seem that way and i think there was also a noticable transition in one of the E3 vids.

Frozone

Are you really comparing the gameplay and cutscene models based on this compressed to hell pic?

Yea, that was silly. I finally got to watch it. My thoughts are still the same though unfortunately. Game looks great still, and I see nice little touches here and there (i.e. the movement of the gasoline tank and spare tire while riding the jeep). Good stuff!

Yurikerr

It's not just the diamond (yes it fills up), it's the outline. They could get rid of it completely.
I know you read ND, please put a toggle for the outline. It's ugly.

The MP outline is the same, isn't it?

But i agree that it's kind of unnecessary.

Yep, I think it's going to happen.

Lol it's not. In interviews Druckmann talked about how they didn't want to keep going bigger with set pieces beyond the scale of Uncharted 3 because they would become self parody at that point, and a conveniently erupting volcano that you have to outrun is 100% self parody territory.

Huh the cached video shows two videos? Also what is the difference betweent he two mega links? The first link needs password, what is the password?

looks super fun. Reminded me of half-life 2 and driving around in the car to get to places and explore little parts of the world. Really cool. this game and FFXV, and zelda U are the games i want the most this year

nib95

Banned
Yea, that was silly. I finally got to watch it. My thoughts are still the same though unfortunately. Game looks great still, and I see nice little touches here and there (i.e. the movement of the gasoline tank and spare tire while riding the jeep). Good stuff!

Your thoughts are wrong then, at least regarding the hair and SSS. You can actually see the SSS on his ear from the muzzle flash of his gun in this segment of previous gameplay.

U4earSSS.gif

Which one? I'd like to see it, surely there would have been a Gaf downgrade thread? How did I miss that?
There is a scene at the beginning of the 2014 PSX demo where you can see a transition. It certainly isnt noticeable though! I had to watch the shot on loop and in slow motion several times before I noticed it.

Top Bottom