• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up Show 4.4 (Halo 3, Red Steel multi, Yoshi's Island DS, Gears of War, Zelda TP)

Maridia

the androgyne said:
How is it that waggle-haters can acknowledge that EAD is arguably the finest developer in the history of gaming, and await Zelda TP knowing it will be one of, if not the greatest games of all time, while at the same time doubting they know enough about what they've been doing virtually flawlessly for the past 20 odd years, to get the controls right?

You forgot the part about the multitude of overwhelmingly positive impressions that were posted today.

Speevy

Banned
Defcon said:
Wtf. You can sit back and relax on your couch with the Wii. There is no need to act like some fool out of a Red Steel trailer.

There's no need to use your wrists or forearms in a Gamecube game either. I'm not saying Wii controls are stupid or whatever you're thinking. I just do not want to play Zelda TP that way.

Mrbob

Defcon said:
They don't believe in the Waggle, Androgyne. Most people on GAF just want the best possible graphics in their games, control and gameplay mean little.

This might win the dumbest post of the year award. Congrats.

BigBoss

Defcon said:
They don't believe in the Waggle, Androgyne. Most people on GAF just want the best possible graphics in their games, control and gameplay mean little.

Bullshit, we care so much about gameplay and control that some of us would rather wait a couple of weeks to play the GCN version.

Ashodin

This thread could go several ways from here:

Nintendo fanboys against all
Xbots against Nintards
Argument of Wii vs. Zelda controls (again)
Left-handed Link

CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE

Chrono

Banned
the androgyne said:
How is it that waggle-haters can acknowledge that EAD is arguably the finest developer in the history of gaming, and await Zelda TP knowing it will be one of, if not the greatest games of all time, while at the same time doubting they know enough about what they've been doing virtually flawlessly for the past 20 odd years, to get the controls right?

Because 'EAD' in the game's credits only takes a game so far - at the end it'll have to stand on its own and from I have seen of Zelda Wii, I'd rather play the GCN version.

It's really not hard to understand - you yourself can just pick the Wii game and jump and swing all you like but Zelda is not dance dance revolution to me - it's the gameplay; the puzzles, side quests, scenarios the developers put you through. Basically, the content. The controls are not the game itself and for them I'd just like the most efficient setup.

BigBoss said:
Bullshit, we care so much about gameplay and control that some of us would rather wait a couple of weeks to play the GCN version.

EXACTLY.

GhaleonEB

Maxrpg said:

Xbots against Nintards
Left-handed Link

exits slowly

Meh I've got no problems with waggle, all media previews of the latest builds have been saying that Wii version is a much richer experience then what you would achieve with a standard controller.

One should want to atleast try it first before jumping on to the waggle sucks bandwagon that quickly spring up when ever the wii remote is discussed.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Maxrpg said:

Xbots against Nintards
Left-handed Link

And you claim this the best post ever? LOL

AniHawk

Here's my breakdown.

Halo 3: No footage ftl.
Red Steel: Red Steel ftl
YIds: Artoons ftl. But at least it won't be outright TERRIBLE like all of their other games.
Gears of War: needs more Gary Jules
Zelda: Why video games were created.

guise

Maxrpg said:

Xbots against Nintards
Left-handed Link

Not enough Parish bashing

Mashing

My problem (and ONLY problem with Zelda wiimote control detractors) is that they are being ignorant to the impressions by people who have played a FINAL version of the game. Instead they are basing their feelings on either 1) hands on impression of earlier builds of the game, or 2) based on impressions from other wii games. In which case their issue is with the Wiimote itself and not Zelda.

So, which is it, wagger haters?

Maxrpg said:

Xbots against Nintards
Left-handed Link

Pretty much :lol

Too bad xbots will probably have to play halo 5 with the Ms waggle version in their next console, will they quit gaming too?lol

sharkie

ddzy9.jpg

:D :D

Speevy

Banned
Mashing said:
My problem (and ONLY problem with Zelda wiimote control detractors) is that they are being ignorant to the impressions by people who have played a FINAL version of the game. Instead they are basing their feelings on either 1) hands on impression of earlier builds of the game, or 2) based on impressions from other wii games. In which case their issue is with the Wiimote itself and not Zelda.

I'm basing it on this. I don't want to flick my wrist to fish, slash, shoot, or dash. (I just needed a rhyming word for slash)

AniHawk

Bluemercury said:
Too bad xbots will probably have to play halo 5 with the Ms waggle version in their next console, will they quit gaming too?lol

Seeing how it takes three years to make a Halo game and four years to make an Xbox, we'll see Halo 4 on the Xbox 720.

Chrono

Banned
Bluemercury said:

do you also think red steel is ZOMG AWESOME and Halo 3 is 'meh' ? :lol

GhaleonEB said:

You might want to take your own advice. I can't count how many of your posts I've seen about how you're not sold on the wii and that you're never mentioning it again... but you do post the same thing... again... and then again, etc.

Maridia

Mashing said:

Exactly. I could give two shits if people want to play the game on GameCube, especially if they're not getting a Wii. However, shit like Dance Dance Revolution comparisons just make the person posting look like a ****ing idiot.

Mrbob

Bluemercury said:

Won't need waggle when the superior 360 FPS pad comes out...

....in Nov 2007 with the release of Halo 3.

empanada

BigBoss said:
So why are you getting the inferior version? It seems that everybody that has actually played the final Wii version says the controls are superior.

In anycase, waggle haters can just be glad Nintendo didn't can the GC version all together. Everybody is happy...except lefties who want to waggle with their left hands. :D

Speevy

Banned
Maridia said:
Exactly. I could give two shits if people want to play the game on GameCube, especially if they're not getting a Wii. However, shit like Dance Dance Revolution comparisons just make the person posting look like a ****ing idiot.

What if they're getting a Wii but would prefer to control Link in a similar way to how they remember controlling him in Wind Waker?

Because that's exactly what I'm doing.

Ashodin

Chrono said:
do you also think red steel is ZOMG AWESOME and Halo 3 is 'meh' ? :lol
I never said Red Steel is ZOMG Awesome, but it's not deserving of the FROTHING RABID VIRULENT HATE that it has been getting from people who've never played the game.

Halo 3 is total meh, anyway, at least to me. I guess military buffs dig that shit, I dunno.

Mrbob

AniHawk said:
So that's why it's $100.

Yes and that is just the controller. ;)

If I can get the precision of a mouse without the jankiness of the wiimote, I would gladly pay $100 for the controller alone.

AniHawk

Mrbob said:
Yes and that is just the controller. ;)

If I can get the precision of a mouse without the jankiness of the wiimote, I would gladly pay $100 for the controller alone.

Trackball + helmet = win.

Maridia

Speevy said:
What if they're getting a Wii but would prefer to control Link in a similar way to how they remember controlling him in Wind Waker?

Because that's exactly what I'm doing.

Like I said, I don't care which version you play. I might go with the GC version if it weren't for the whole Widescreen issue. I just think that some people are being less than reasonable about the whole thing.

Mashing

Then in the words of Kobun Heat: you are stupid (he said that in another thread about people who are buying a Wii but buying the GC version still).

Personally I wouldn't call you stupid, I'd just say you are depriving yourself of a grander experience. But hey, OoT is one of the best games of all time and it had traditional controls so, for you, I doubt it'll hamper your enjoyment of the game.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Bluemercury said:

only if its using horribly outdated technology ;)

BigBoss

empanada said:
So why are you getting the inferior version? It seems that everybody that has actually played the final Wii version says the controls are superior.

In anycase, waggle haters can just be glad Nintendo didn't can the GC version all together. Everybody is happy...except lefties who want to waggle with their left hands. :D

I'm getting the superior GCN version because I'm not planning on a buying a Wii anytime soon and I want to play the last traditional Zelda with a conventional gamepad. I'd actually like some reasons as to why the Wii version is considered superior.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Waggle might make some sense with Wii Sports and other novelty or simple party type games like Wario.

But keep that shit away from traditional platformer/action games.

At this point, Sixaxis is looking to be less annoying innovation when it comes to the traditional 3D genres. :)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Speevy said:
I'm basing it on this. I don't want to flick my wrist to fish, slash, shoot, or dash. (I just needed a rhyming word for slash)
People call them inferior because of their unwillingness? That's hardly a valid reason. I haven't played either version my-self but I do believe the 30 people who did spend some time with the game more than anybody else.

Speevy

Banned
Mashing said:
Then in the words of Kobun Heat: you are stupid (he said that in another thread about people who are buying a Wii but buying the GC version still).

Personally I wouldn't call you stupid, I'd just say you are depriving yourself of a grander experience. But hey, OoT is one of the best games of all time and it had traditional controls so, for you, I doubt it'll hamper your enjoyment of the game.

A grander experience? Nintendo excels at control responsiveness and accessibility, from the first Super Mario Brothers all the way to DK Jungle Beat.

If flicking my wrists over 70 hours as opposed to pressing a button and doing exactly the same thing amounts to a better experience, then Nintendo failed, not me.

op_ivy said:
only if its using horribly outdated technology ;)

It's not going to matter what kind of technology Xbox 720 will be on, you can use the controller as a baseball bat when you get the 6 rings of red death on bootup :p

Branduil

It's impossible to like first-person shooters without liking Halo. Everyone acknowledges it is the epitome of the genre with entirely original and innovative gameplay, and a perfect control scheme.

I can understand where some people are coming from with their skepticism over the Wiimote-control in Zelda, but really, I'd wait until you've actually experienced it first-hand in the retail copy before saying things that might have you eating humble pie in weeks to come, especially after the impressions from numerous sources which attest to its longetivity and quality.

Besides my several-fold increase in Zeruda lust, Gears of War looks fantabulous and it's great to hear that stop-and-pop gameplay will last the whole way through. That "chess" comment really got through, and I think strategy is one component that many shooter games fail to tackle (apart from the underrated Full Spectrum Warrior and several other games I lack rememberance of at the moment); I really think this will push the envelope for next-gen games, and not merely in terms of graphics -- but in gameplay, which is much more important, in my opinion.

As for the other games: Halo 3 sounds awesome, but everything's a bit too vague at the moment to start up the hype train. Yoshi's Island DS looks solid, and while the DS gap and difficulty complaints aren't a big deal, it just seems to lack the charm that was so evident in the SNES original, but hopefully the level design will boast the creativity shown in the snippets. And I really think Shane was on the money with his comments that it's a solid platformer but definitely not approaching the masterpiece that is Yoshi's Island on SNES. Lastly, there's Red Steel MP, which is without a doubt majorly disappointing and the less said about it the better; maybe the single player is where it's at and the multiplayer was just tacked-on as an after-thought? In any case, my wallet wasn't prepared for Red Steel to be good this holiday, so I guess it's a positive after the scare with the 90% review in NGamer.

Branduil said:
It's impossible to like first-person shooters without liking Halo. Everyone acknowledges it is the epitome of the genre with entirely original and innovative gameplay, and a perfect control scheme.
This is a joke right?

BigBoss said:

Nope, what you said is bullshit.

Did you not read today's hands-on impressions? You know, from guys that have actually PLAYED the final game?

Didn't you notice how they said THE WII VERSION IS SUPERIOR?

Top Bottom