• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up Show 4.4 (Halo 3, Red Steel multi, Yoshi's Island DS, Gears of War, Zelda TP)

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Zelda LOOKED good, like aesthetically way better than i've been expecting. I was expecting tolerable, just watching Link walk around his village in the background got me awesomed.

I really want to see if it's atall gimped for GC.

DarknessTear said:
Watching him do the sword swinging shit on the Wii... it really is super tacked on. Glad I'm getting the GC version. Other than that, the game looks golden and I wanna play it.

They did something half-assed and simple with the Wii version. They mapped the attack button to waggling the wiimote and mapped the spinslash to the nunchuck. You still have to hold up to thrust and that seems disorienting.

Well, the media have played it, and they say the Wii version is the superior version with superior controls.

Alkaliine said:
Well, the media have played it, and they say the Wii version is the superior version with superior controls.

Yeah, maybe for the FISHING. But the action part looks terrible. I'm not going to sit there and wave my arm around when it doesn't even affect shit other than being the same as pressing a button, only more "active" and annoying.

Defcon

Banned
Traditional controller lovers am cry come next-next gen when every console has waggle.

Red Steel multiplayer is an abomination upon men. I bet they spent all of a month implementing it.

AniHawk

DarknessTear said:
Yeah, maybe for the FISHING. But the action part looks terrible. I'm not going to sit there and wave my arm around when it doesn't even affect shit other than being the same as pressing a button, only more "active" and annoying.

**** yeah. Video games aren't about interaction, they're about pressing buttons.

AniHawk said:
**** yeah. Video games aren't about interaction, they're about pressing buttons.

You're not even interacting with it. You're just moving it instead of pressing the button which seems a lot faster and easier on your arm to me.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
DarknessTear said:
I wish you dumb people would realize that that isn't Ganon, it's the fire monster.

First of all, the insult was uncalled for.

Second, it sure as hell looked like Ganon to me. I haven't been following the game that closely because I want to be surprised when it comes out so excuse me for not knowing every little detail about it.

Baron Aloha said:
First of all, the insult was uncalled for.

Second, it sure as hell looked like Ganon to me. I haven't been following the game that closely because I want to be surprised when it comes out so excuse me for not knowing every little detail about it.

Ahh I didn't mean to insult you. Sorry! I was just being "fired up" so to speak.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Dahbomb said:
You should just quit on gaming altogether, nothing can possibly impress a gamer like you. :/

I was really impressed by FFXII.

But c'mon, I was generally positive about all of the games I commented on except for Red Steel (and the few Halo 3 details). Am I being a hater if I'm not sufficiently enthusiastic about high-profile releases now?

Wow, after reading this I came up with one conclusion. I don't like you.

Why? :(

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
DarknessTear said:

That's nice. ANy more insights? BEcause your impressions based on 0 playtime hold so much weight against the impressions of the 15 or so journalists Ive read who have played it for hours on end, and who hold an opinion which is the complete opposite. So why do you have to keep regurgitating your baseless impressions? We get it. . Its called trolling.

unifin

DarknessTear said:
You're not even interacting with it. You're just moving it instead of pressing the button which seems a lot faster and easier on your arm to me.

All the latest impressions we've read seem to suggest that the swinging is *gasp* more fun than button pressing, and doesn't require any kind of huge movements... why don't you give it a chance?

DarknessTear said:

Sore thumbs and mindless button pressing FTW

DarknessTear said:

They said the sword and aiming controls are much better on Wii.

gamergirly said:
Sore thumbs and mindless button pressing FTW

Sore thumbs? Well I don't know about girls (if that's what kind of creature you really are) but I don't get sore thumbs from many action games.

And yeah, I've heard nice impressions on it too. But from what I see this guy doing, it doesn't look so great. And he pretty much showed everything you can do with it on the action side of the whole thing. I don't really like what I see.

Jake XXX said:
i think i am the only person on the whole board that finds the 1up show boring.

I think it's because the people who find it boring or don't watch it don't post in this thread.

Ashodin

Impressions:

Halo 3 = meh
Red Steel = really awesome! I liked the fact that it reminds people of Goldeneye. Was a great split-screen shooter. the Killer concept is really nice. I thought some of the levels were very cool, very vertical so you could get a workout. The only problem is that it really is splitscreen. Online Red Steel would be soooo much better.
Yoshi's Island = meh on the gameplay, whoa on the difficulty
Gears of War = mine eyes doth bleed
Zelda = ****ING TWO WEEKS AWAY NO LESS. GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

unifin

Maxrpg said:
Impressions:

Halo 3 = meh
Red Steel = really awesome! I liked the fact that it reminds people of Goldeneye. Was a great split-screen shooter. the Killer concept is really nice. I thought some of the levels were very cool, very vertical so you could get a workout. The only problem is that it really is splitscreen. Online Red Steel would be soooo much better.

Does not compute.

Gears of War looks ****ing ace - might have to pick up that 360 this year instead......

ant1532

Banned
Maxrpg said:
Impressions:

Halo 3 = meh
what.

DarknessTear said:
Sore thumbs? Well I don't know about girls (if that's what kind of creature you really are) but I don't get sore thumbs from many action games.

And yeah, I've heard nice impressions on it too. But from what I see this guy doing, it doesn't look so great. And he pretty much showed everything you can do with it on the action side of the whole thing. I don't really like what I see.

I think it's because the people who find it boring or don't watch it don't post in this thread.

Im not sure if you're a guy either(or whatever kind of creature you are), but a lot of how the game is played has to do with the experience itself. You're only going to know so much before you actually play a game with the Wiimote in your hand. Many of the impressions about Zelda:TP BEFORE people got a chance to play it mirrored the same concerns you have. Why is it that everyone feels that the Wii version is better AFTER experiencing it? Seeing != believing in this case......

TheWolf

Banned
i just wanted to say the high res WMV looks real good on the big HDTV through the 360. i'll be watching the shows like this from now on. :)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Maxrpg said:
Impressions:

Halo 3 = meh
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

:lol

Ashodin

unifin said:
Does not compute.

Gears of War looks ****ing ace - might have to pick up that 360 this year instead......
never excited at Halo games. Just another shooter franchise overhyped to me.

jj984jj said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

:lol

YES IT MUST BE FUNNY, I HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS, I SEE THE HUMOR

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I'm pretty sure I won't be excited for long to swing a wiimote around just to fight in Zelda.

That sort of repetitive motion won't make me feel any more immersed in the game or do anything to make me believe that I'm Link.

ant1532

Banned
TheWolf said:
i just wanted to say the high res WMV looks real good on the big HDTV through the 360. i'll be watching the shows like this from now on. :)
Yeah bro, I did the same thing. It looked AWESOME. But did you notice that it looked a little worse during the Gears segment?
chespace said:
I'm pretty sure I won't be excited for long to swing a wiimote around just to fight in Zelda.

That sort of repetitive motion won't make me feel any more immersed in the game or do anything to make me believe that I'm Link.
No imagination? :D

Mashing

I'm not a fan of FPS games but Gears looks about as close as you can get to being inside an action movie. I never got that with Halo, but Gears just looks like palm-sweatingly intense which is what I love about great video games. I could see myself really getting into that game.

Up until now Gears was not on my radar, but after seeing the commercial on TV (with one of my favorite songs no doubt) and the footage on the 1-up show; well, lets just say it's definately on my radar now.

My Zelda hype, on the other hand, is just off the charts for me. I cry everytime I see a new Zelda video.

Defcon

Banned
chespace said:

Probably not, but you will be excited as hell to duck behind cover and fire your gun over and over in GoW.

empanada

gamergirly said:
Why is it that everyone feels that the Wii version is better AFTER experiencing it? Seeing != believing in this case......
Exactly. Touch-Waggle generation FTW. Get with the times waggle haters. :D

Mashing

chespace said:

And pressing buttons is not repetitive? Haven't you ever had your thumbs hurt after playing a game with analog sticks for a long hours? What's the difference wheter your arm or thumbs get tired? I just don't think this arguement holds water anymore after everyone who has tried it has said it is not a problem.

Maridia

Defcon said:
Probably not, but you will be excited as hell to duck behind cover and fire your gun over and over in GoW.

I think what he's saying is that we should wait for Fable 2 for true next gen adventuring.

chespace

Mashing said:
And pressing buttons is not repetitive? Haven't you ever had your thumbs hurt after playing a game with analog sticks for a long hours? What's the difference wheter your arm or thumbs get tired? I just don't think this arguement holds water anymore after everyone who has tried it has said it is not a problem.

This isn't an argument and I'm not trying to hold any water with my statement.

It's merely personal perference.

And no, my fingers have never gotten sore pressing buttons -- even when it came to games like Ninja Gaiden, which I beat. Nope, not even after playing Soul Calibur or VF marathons.

Hmm, gee, maybe I LIKE pressing buttons.

ant1532

Banned
Maxrpg said:
never excited at Halo games. Just another shooter franchise overhyped to me.

YES IT MUST BE FUNNY, I HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS, I SEE THE HUMOR
Well it's not that you don't like Halo that much. I mean, yeah I respect that, I heard about some people who don't like it for their reasons. But being more excited for a poor looking FPS (in compare to the quality of halo 3) is funny.

Oh and now you want to back up "it's a different opinion" lol

guise

Defcon said:

Which will be done by repeteadley pressing A!

Screw waggle when you can press one button all day!

Seriously though.... its the battles themselves in the games which are going to determine how exciting the game is, not which input method is used to get you there.

GhaleonEB

Halo 3 - They loved it. They got that goofy smile you get when talking about a really, really good time you had with your buddies. Bodes very well. Loved those segments, but then, I would.

Yoshi - FF FTW.

Red Steel - Watched a few minutes. Very, very meh. The controls look tough to master, but they only got it for a few hours. The coolest thing was the telephone bit at the beginning to tell you your secret message. Of course, if you could play online you'd have your own screen and wouldn't need that...but I digress.

Gears of War - Good discussion. It sounds like all of the initial concerns - repetitive gameplay, balancing, environmental variety - have been put to rest. The game sounds like a monster, and a pretty unconventional one at that. Best gameplay moment - waiting with the bow for the train to pass by, then sticking and exploding the guy on the other side as soon as it did. :lol

Zelda - I watched a small portion. I hate to say this, but nothing has illustrated with such vivid clarity the impact visuals can have on a game than switching from Gears to the Zelda footage. Simply monsterous. I've always had a very low opinion of the waggle, but seeing a Gamecube game controlled via waggle vs. Gears...no contest. The game itself sounds great, and a Zelda fan's dream come true. But goddamn imagine that with the impact of Gears visuals. Goddamn. :(

Great, entertaining show.

Mrbob

What I like about Gears is seeing how easy it is to maneuver from cover point to cover point. The animation transitions look seamless and very cool seeing your character hop from one point to the next.

chespace

GhaleonEB said:
Zelda - I watched a small portion. I hate to say this, but nothing has illustrated with such vivid clarity the impact visuals can have on a game than switching from Gears to the Zelda footage. Simply monsterous. I've always had a very low opinion of the waggle, but seeing a Gamecube game controlled via waggle vs. Gears...no contest. The game itself sounds great, and a Zelda fan's dream come true. But goddamn imagine that with the impact of Gears visuals. Goddamn. :(

Who needs next-gen graphics when you've got waggle?

Wish we could have gotten both (but not with tacked on waggle on traditional action games).

Speevy

Banned
Think of the control issue from this perspective.

Let's say I have two games for my PS2 and I just want to sit back and unwind. Now, I can play something like Culdcept, which allows me to make decisions at my own pace and just relax, or I can take on the hardest mode of Devil May Cry 3.

Do you see how that sort of mindset fits into playing Zelda? There are times when one wants to be a lazy bastard, and the Zelda series typically lets you do that.

Ashodin

GhaleonEB said:

There's a big WTF comment about to explode here.

SA-X

Awesome news about YI's difficulty. No pansy ass game you can breeze through easily like NSMB please!

Defcon

Banned
Speevy said:
Think of the control issue from this perspective.

Let's say I have two games for my PS2 and I just want to sit back and unwind. Now, I can play something like Culdcept, which allows me to make decisions at my own pace and just relax, or I can take on the hardest mode of Devil May Cry 3.

Do you see how that sort of mindset fits into playing Zelda? There are times when want to be a lazy bastard, and the Zelda series typically lets you do that.

Wtf. You can sit back and relax on your couch with the Wii. There is no need to act like some fool out of a Red Steel trailer.

It comes down to either being a Nintendo hater or someone who isn't willing to accept change when complaining about waggle.

How is it that waggle-haters can acknowledge that EAD is arguably the finest developer in the history of gaming, and await Zelda TP knowing it will be one of, if not the greatest games of all time, while at the same time doubting they know enough about what they've been doing virtually flawlessly for the past 20 odd years, to get the controls right?

GhaleonEB

Maxrpg said:
There's a big WTF comment about to explode here.
yeah, I hesitated even going there. My opinion on the Wii is very, very low due to the waggle concept and I promised myself to stay out of Wii threads, which I have. But since everyone else was doing the segment rundown, I thought I'd at least express my thoughts on the subject. Zelda looks like a massive, polished and wonderful game. But that contrast...is huge. Since I hate waggle the 'tradeoff' argument just doesn't go anywhere with me.

Okay, done talking about the Wii. No need to freak out, not everyone is sold on the Wii's concept.

Anyhoo - watching the show on TV via the 360 was cool. It was a good, well-produced show with good discussion. Keep it up, 1up guys.

Defcon

Banned
the androgyne said:
How is it that waggle-haters can acknowledge that EAD is arguably the finest developer in the history of gaming, and await Zelda TP knowing it will be one of, if not the greatest games of all time, while at the same time doubting they know enough about what they've been doing virtually flawlessly for the past 20 odd years, to get the controls right?

They don't believe in the Waggle, Androgyne. Most people on GAF just want the best possible graphics in their games, control and gameplay mean little.

Top Bottom