• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$2.1 million and up = Obsidian and Chris Avellone on Wasteland 2 dev team

I'm just wondering what it means it terms of NPCs to recruit.Do you start with your whole team or recruit people further down the line?

Did I say something weird?I never heard the term before.

The original worked like this (going from memory now, so there may be a few mistakes): you made your own party of rangers and then you could have some joinables join too (3 iirc?), although they could refuse to obey to your orders.

What i want from Wasteland 2?

Concerning the setting, i would prefer it to be more akin to "The Road" than to "Fallout" with less pop culture references and way more bleakness and depressing shit happening. I want to feel like civilization is gone for good and there is no hope left in the world.

"Bleakness" and "depressing shit happening" sounds very far from the original from what I have seen (admittedly, I'm not the best person to say something about the matter since I haven't had the chance to play it and my knowledge comes mostly from let's plays, written snippets from other people that played it "back in the day" and screenshots, so take my comment with a grain of salt). I'd expect the setting to be closer to the craziness of Fallout 2, New Vegas and parts of 3 and if anything to do even more of that kind of stuff. But I don't know, it's possible that maybe Jason Anderson was planning a tone shift with his storyline, we're kinda in the dark at this point.

Zeliard

Though we don't have Fargo clearly saying what Avellone and Obsidian tools will cost, like Shafer did with the documentary for the DF adventure game, the fact that the Kickstarter for Wasteland 2 was in a stall and that Fargo pointed to a very clear 2.1 million goal to reach makes me believe that amount is what they have in mind for payment of Obsidian/Avellone involvement. It's just an intuition, and no one knows for certain, and the post-release revenue for sales of this game it's not even in equation as also no one knows if that was even part of the deal (I wouldn't think so).

One also shouldn't lose sight of the fact that they were perfectly ready to make this game at $1 million. Now they will make over 200% of their original goal.

They had the ports set at $1.5 million and at some point you can only promise so much "more content, bigger world" before quality > quantity should start to set in. They seemed so unsure of what to promise with the rest of the money that they started to talk about somewhat questionable and controversial additions, like the Demon's Souls-esque multiplayer notes.

Getting involvement from Obsidian and guys like Avellone, and possibly others, is worth using a solid amount of the extra budget on. If they're not spending the money on that it could be on things that may not really add anything of worth to the game or even detract from it, essentially spending money just because they have it.

Obisidan's RPG tools (and experience with those) alone should save inXile a good amount of resources, including time, that they'd otherwise have to spend on properly developing those things. Having those tools and that wealth of information at their disposal just make it quicker and easier to get things done - and of higher quality - so it's well worth it even if just for that. That they also have someone like Chris Avellone on board to help ease the transfer as well as to offer his own expertise with narrative and area design is a boon.

The designers should look to get a decent amount of content in but work to spruce and polish that up instead of just adding more and more, since they'd risk ending up with less focused and more meandering results. Fargo snagging Obsidian up leads me to believe he feels the same.

duckroll

Avellone said in the interview that the logistics aren't fully worked out yet - that they aren't even sure who from Obsidian is working on it yet outside of him (and JE Sawyer has also said he doesn't know if he's involved at this point).

I imagine the reason for that is they're waiting to see just how much money they get. There may be potential for more Obsidian involvement if the project goes decently past $2.1 million.

I wouldn't expect much honestly. Chris said they're still pitching stuff to publishers which they weren't able to commit to previously because of Project NC. This means that they're probably more interested in getting a full project the studio can work on, since that will keep them afloat for a longer period of time.

Obsidian's commitment to Wasteland 2 seems entirely out of interest for the property and how it would be cool to work with Fargo again. Outside of that, it doesn't seem like something they will put a lot of resources into.

Zeliard

I wouldn't expect much honestly. Chris said they're still pitching stuff to publishers which they weren't able to commit to previously because of Project NC. This means that they're probably more interested in getting a full project the studio can work on, since that will keep them afloat for a longer period of time.

Obsidian's commitment to Wasteland 2 seems entirely out of interest for the property and how it would be cool to work with Fargo again. Outside of that, it doesn't seem like something they will put a lot of resources into.

Well, they clearly aren't putting too many resources into it, but what they are putting into it is still significant enough to make a difference. And it's much better than Fargo just making nebulous promises about more content without any idea of what that might actually entail. Now they can just put more work into what they've already decided on instead of adding fluff.

Kem0sabe

"Bleakness" and "depressing shit happening" sounds very far from the original from what I have seen (admittedly, I'm not the best person to say something about the matter since I haven't had the chance to play it and my knowledge comes mostly from let's plays, written snippets from other people that played it "back in the day" and screenshots, so take my comment with a grain of salt). I'd expect the setting to be closer to the craziness of Fallout 2, New Vegas and parts of 3 and if anything to do even more of that kind of stuff. But I don't know, it's possible that maybe Jason Anderson was planning a tone shift with his storyline, we're kinda in the dark at this point.

I loved the entire fallout series (except that action rpg mess of a game), Fallout 1, 2, Tactics, 3 and New Vegas were all amazing (up there with the BG saga as the best rpg franchise ever for me) and i played them extensively. But after all that post-apocalyptic adventuring, i want a change of pace from the fallout formula.

I´m sure the the setting won´t be the same retro art deco setting from the 50´s, so that´s a point towards making it more interesting, but the tone needs to shift as well.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
VwGQc.png

And we are down to the 20-25k/day I projected. That will still be enough to hit the 2,1M goal, though, plus the last day funding spike. They really need to do more updates, like 1 every 2 days just letting people know they are doing SOMETHING.

And we officially just broke the 1,9M (including Paypal funds), so 200k to go.

Edit: though due to someone withdrawing funds, we are now in need of ~0,68k/hour.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I wonder if there are a bunch of people waiting until it seems more sure it will reach the target. Wouldn't be surprised to see a big boost when it's certain the dream team will be assembled.

Llyranor

http://gamebanshee.com/interviews/107528-wasteland-2-interview.html

Clarification re: Obs' role

Currently, it’s just me [Chris Avellone], and I would potentially be assisting with narrative and area design, as well as conversation editor suggestions and structure. Ultimately, we won't know the final logistics for a short while longer, but we'll keep folks updated - right now, it's solely design content work, which is one of Obsidian's strengths
To be clear, the Onyx engine isn't being used for Wasteland 2 - that said, there's information and structure components we can share based on how we've constructed RPG mechanics (notably conversation systems and editors, for example) that Brian has expressed interest in and we'd be happy to provide metrics and layout suggestions for. All of the programming and coding is in inXile's hands, however, as our programmers and tools programmers are focused on our other titles
No, it won't affect our own Kickstarter projects. We do feel that there was a lot of benefit in learning from Brian's experience with Kickstarter, and I believe there's a lot of smart ways he engineered the process that I'd love to learn from, both in what's shown to the public and how he strategizes internally. Also, Brian's a good guy... I'm sure if we ever came out with a project and asked for help, he'd be willing to put in a good word with us with the community - just as he's already done extensive efforts to "Kicking it Forward" already
We’re pitching a number of projects we had on hold during the NC [cancelled Project North Carolina] process. Now that that’s not occupying time and resources, we’re free to re-investigate those options and resume talks with companies who had previously showed interest in our proposals and engine (we didn’t have the manpower to deliver a third product at the time of NC discussions, and we prefer only focusing on two projects at any one time).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
RPS interview is up

about Obsidian:

RPS: I’m glad because he was talking about doing his own thing and I did think “two turn-based roleplaying games at the same time, doesn’t that increase the odds of one of them not coming to pass?”

Fargo: They may end up doing one later, but right now they’re in the middle of a big project that they have to do so the timing is such that I don’t think they were prepared to do something immediately, where I was. So just the timing worked out well.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So no Onyx engine after all, eh?

Another quote from the interview that I found interesting:

RPS: Have you had any really crazy moments, in the middle of the night thinking “I wonder if we could make five million, what could we do then?” Sort of fantasy figures.

Fargo: (laughs) Dare to dream, right? I guess our fantasy number is if we end up getting over what Double Fine did, that would be…

I was looking back at the budget for the original Fallout. That was about three million dollars, and that included a lot of audio, a lot of cinematics and some publisher overhead. Also, the salary levels were different back then. To me, if we get to something like three million dollars that really starts to…I mean, we’re going to be able to make a great game as it is, it’s not like a problem, but it provides a little more leeway I guess in terms of not having to work 12 hour days.

Glix

Whatever negatives arise from this new kickstarter craze, they are totally offset by amazing shit like this!!!

Toma

ibfR37UPVBFnZ2.png

Given the current funding I'd say 20-25k/day isnt to unrealistic. That means we should see the 2,1M funding somewhere in the area circled above, which would be 6-7 more days for another "tier" of what they might want to add/promise for more funding. They cant just let 7 days go by unused, they need to announce something.

I mean even just the interviews made such a difference:
dwp61.png

We were done to 1k/hour again after the initial news of Avellone joining, now its 1.5k-3k.

Toma

Brian just wrote that Chris would be signing the $250 tier game box as well (assuming they reach 2.1 million). Hopefully that'll encourage backers...

Why isnt that guy putting that stuff on the Wasteland 2 page. Maddening. He should post his Interviews there, and that information. People want to read it.

The original worked like this (going from memory now, so there may be a few mistakes): you made your own party of rangers and then you could have some joinables join too (3 iirc?), although they could refuse to obey to your orders..

Instead of being able to pick single/burst/auto when firing they chose instead. 90% of the time they went with burst and the other 10% was full auto. Not so good when trying to conserve ammo against weak enemies.

I almost never saw them refuse an order.

I put in $100 when they passed the $900,000 mark.

Toma

Instead of being able to pick single/burst/auto when firing they chose instead. 90% of the time they went with burst and the other 10% was full auto. Not so good when trying to conserve ammo against weak enemies.

I almost never saw them refuse an order.

I put in $100 when they passed the $900,000 mark.

I tried playing it, but oh man. Without a manual to tell me how to use items and all the functions I need just to move about... Tasking.

Toma

This is going to be a long 18 months.

:/ I hope they keep updating us regularly. A bit art stuff and development state would go a long way.

Dice

Well, they did it. But can they hit that game-expanding 2.5 while Shadowrun is taking off?

Well, they did it. But can they hit that game-expanding 2.5 while Shadowrun is taking off?

The way I read your post, I immediately thought of a reality show or documentary covering crowdfunding and the behind-the-scenes bits that goes on between concurrent projects competing for the same pledge base. It would probably be like covering a political campaign.

Dice

I'll be honest. I love old school RPG principles and this project has outstanding people behind it, but I am tired of wasteland survivor settings and that is what this game is all about. I'm 10x more interested in Shadowrun because the whole wasteland theme has been so played out yet cyberpunk has been very lacking.

Top Bottom