• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2.30 PS3 firmware is out now

edible_candle said:
One of my friends is having an odd issue when trying to download the 2.3 firmware. No matter what he does, it won't move past 0%. He's already reformatted the harddrive and tried again, but still no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

1) Pay his internet bill.
2) Fix his router.
3) Download it on PC, copy to various memory devices, install.

Lain

Waiting for the icons to load in the new store is a pita.
Caching them forever (as an option) would have been so much better.
Also I find the main menu to be ugly, when everything else is icon based. Or at least could have gone with centered text.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Lain said:
Waiting for the icons to load in the new store is a pita.
Caching them forever (as an option) would have been so much better.
Also I find the main menu to be ugly, when everything else is icon based. Or at least could have gone with centered text.

Well I am hoping that the whole downloading of the Icons improve, Sony Improve it!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The icon loading in the US store seems notably faster to me today. Maybe it's just because of decreased load, or maybe they optimised something on the server side. Usually now within a few seconds, the screen's icons are filled.

It's still not quite as fast as I'd like (well..in the 'view all titles' menu at least, the letter icons still take longer to load for some reason), but it's better than yesterday, and a lot more useable because of it.

edit - the experience is how i imagine it's meant to be now, for me at least..the faster icon loading makes a huge difference. I'm really happy with the store now (the US one, at least), it's very nice.

BeeDog

Goddamnit, image-caching needs to be added pronto.

Has anyone ordered something yet from the store? I'm a bit paranoid something'll go wrong since it's so fresh.

Lobster

Banned
The icons load instantly for me ..

Yay for Aussie store :D

Downloaded all the free themes and will probably buy Crash Bandicoot next!

Lobster said:
The icons load instantly for me ..

Yay for Aussie store :D
Same here, also Aussie store. Maybe they're just trying to placate us for taking away all of the free music videos we used to be able to get for free :p

sajj316

BeeDog said:
Goddamnit, image-caching needs to be added pronto.

Has anyone ordered something yet from the store? I'm a bit paranoid something'll go wrong since it's so fresh.

What we need to do is chill while Sony sorts this stuff out. They did make an official statement on the blogs I believe and acknowledged the slowness issue in downloading the icons. Just give it another day or so for it to settle down. You know this stuff is all free to us so give them the benefit of the doubt when they say it'll get resolved.

When they say caching, it actually is but per Playstation Store session. It clears the cache when you log out. It will get smart enough to cache images/icons that are still relevant to the store grid but over time.

jonabbey

sajj316 said:
What we need to do is chill while Sony sorts this stuff out. They did make an official statement on the blogs I believe and acknowledged the slowness issue in downloading the icons. Just give it another day or so for it to settle down. You know this stuff is all free to us so give them the benefit of the doubt when they say it'll get resolved.

When they say caching, it actually is but per Playstation Store session. It clears the cache when you log out. It will get smart enough to cache images/icons that are still relevant to the store grid but over time.

That's not good enough. They absolutely need to be doing persistent caching. As long as each image on the store has a persistently unique identifier, they can keep it all in cache, and just pull the images up in response to the (small) xml files sent by the store each time. Add in a bit of logic to remove images not referenced in xml in some period of time (6 months, say), and waiting for images would go away almost entirely.

Easy to code on the client, but they'd need to make sure their server-side operations were congruent with the requirements of the caching scheme. Guarantee unique server-side identifiers for all images over time, or put the modification time of the images in the initial xml download file, or use http headers to express the modification time.

Something. This is really embarassing.

jonabbey said:
That's not good enough. They absolutely need to be doing persistent caching. As long as each image on the store has a persistently unique identifier, they can keep it all in cache, and just pull the images up in response to the (small) xml files sent by the store each time. Add in a bit of logic to remove images not referenced in xml in some period of time (6 months, say), and waiting for images would go away almost entirely.

Easy to code on the client, but they'd need to make sure their server-side operations were congruent with the requirements of the caching scheme. Guarantee unique server-side identifiers for all images over time, or put the modification time of the images in the initial xml download file, or use http headers to express the modification time.

Most people don't spend hours fucking living in the store. I would like to see shit like caching done but the lack of it is hardly something that makes the store a pain in the ass to use.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
jonabbey said:

Yes it is like clearing your browser cache completely each time you close it... if you need to do it for security/privacy reasons you deal with it, but if you do not really have to but you are doing it anyways you will miss the cache :p.

The store is loading instantly for me now, every icon on every page pops up in less that a second. This is a huge change from yesterday, as I had to wait 2 mins to see everything on some pages.

tanod

when is my burrito
edible_candle said:
One of my friends is having an odd issue when trying to download the 2.3 firmware. No matter what he does, it won't move past 0%. He's already reformatted the harddrive and tried again, but still no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Download it from the website and put it on a flash drive.

sajj316

jonabbey said:

I don't disagree with you but you'll see improvements over time. There are users now that say their icons load instantly. I think its just because the first day rush is over. Its not like Sony is sending over monster image files to fill the Playstation Store grid. I do think that Sony expected bandwidth issues the first day because of all the connections to the store but every day will not be like day 1. It will normalize over time and the performance of the store will be exactly as Sony intended it to be.

Jim

As of about midnight last night, the store was finally moving at proper speed (i.e. like in the walkthrough video). Quite impressive. I'm sure it'll only get better once people stop banging on it constantly and the get things load balanced again.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
sajj316 said:
I don't disagree with you but you'll see improvements over time. There are users now that say their icons load instantly. I think its just because the first day rush is over. Its not like Sony is sending over monster image files to fill the Playstation Store grid. I do think that Sony expected bandwidth issues the first day because of all the connections to the store but every day will not be like day 1. It will normalize over time and the performance of the store will be exactly as Sony intended it to be.

The problem with not doing persistent caching across PSN Store sessions (which is what is happening now AFAIK: each time you close the PSN Store UI the cache is cleared) is that every time Sony releases some MUST HAVE product on the PSN Store that naturally leads to a high number of simultaneous visitors connecting to the PSN Store the problems like slow icon loading will be back with a vengeance.

Edit: Jim, I think that Sony should be hard at work to prepare a PSN Store client update ASAP which creates a small cache (50 MB more or less could be a good start) on PS3's HDD to be used as persistent cache. What will they do when for example BIG DLC's or AAA PSN titles get released and everyone (considering that PS3's user-base should keep growing this problem might worsen in those busy peaks) connects to the PSN store ?

Edit to the Edit: Kaching, well we all hope persistent caching is supported, but right now some of us are a bit skeptical of that... still I'd love to be proven wrong :).

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jonabbey said:
That's not good enough. They absolutely need to be doing persistent caching.
We don't know that the capability isn't there for persistent caching. They could be setting an aggressive expiration/refresh rate on resources at the moment that could be countermanding that.

anddo0

For anyone who had the "time out issue" like I did while trying to connect to the store

I found a Solution to the "Connection Timed Out Issue"

--Account Management

--Change Sign--In ID (E-Mail address)

--Enter password

Now what you want to do is enter a random email (or the original)... or spell yours incorrectly, I did by mistake

Follow the first three steps again and re-enter your "Original" login info.

Let me know if it works.. It worked for me so..

sajj316

Panajev2001a said:
The problem with not doing persistent caching across PSN Store sessions (which is what is happening now AFAIK: each time you close the PSN Store UI the cache is cleared) is that everytime Sony releases some MUST HAVE product on the PSN Store that naturally leads to a high number of simultaneous visitors connecting to the PSN Store the problems like slow icon loading will be back with a vengeance.

Edit: Jim, I think that Sony better prepares a PSN Store client update ASAP which creates a small (50 MB more or less could be a good start) on PS3's HDD to be used as persistent cache. What will they do when for example BIG DLC's or AAA PSN titles get released and everyone (considering that PS3's user-base should keep growing this problem might worsen in those busy peaks) connects to the PSN store ?

You make an excellent point. I believe this would be the short term plan for them (persistent cache). If it wasn't going into the release of FW 2.30, it is now given the feedback to the engineers over at the Playstation Store. GT5 Prologue will be a good exampe. If they get it together by the Haze demo, we'll know what kind of impact something like persistent cache will have.

iceatcs

I think they still have some server capacity problem because early of today US store was load faster than UK, I think it is because of time zone where US is still early morning which the server was on the lowest traffic.

BojTrek

Banned
I like that the pointer no longer moves like a mouse, it just clicks to the location I point to.

I hated that on the old PSN Store, it used to feel like surfing the web with my dial-up Dreamcast.

This is very non-internet feeling like X-Box Live, I like this new look and feel...

I will try it tonight to see if the pictures load faster. I didn't mind that it was slow yesterday, cuz even if I clicked on a blank picture, I could still see the info displayed on the left panel.

CoG

It does not seem that images are being cached. I am starting to think it's by design which leads me to ask, WTF?!?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
CoG said:
It does not seem that images are being cached. I am starting to think it's by design which leads me to ask, WTF?!?

They are cached, but they seem to be only stored for as long as you browse the store thus avoiding you to load the same icons over and over when you re-visit some sections.

The problem is that persistent caching across PSN Store sessions (open the Store + close the Store = a session to put it in very basic terms) either it is a not yet implemented functionality or it is not currently working for some reason thus every time you visit the store you download icon data (to make an example) from the server again.

tanod

when is my burrito
So has the petition been made to fire all of SCEE's PSN Store staff establish an official European blog and change the organization of the European store to the American style?

I'm guessing it would get a sizable number of signatures. If one of those can get Uwe Boll's attention, you'd think that SCEE could get a clue too.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have to say though, quick icons loading or no quick icons loading, my eyes are 90% of the time peeled on that area on the left where the main info is located. I'm not sure if I like that or not - it does take too much time to find & identify anything with those icons, so it's quicker to just highlight everything and read the titles on the left. They should have put names under those icons, made it so that we can select between three modes: Icons only, text only or Icons+Text (text could also be on the side of an icon, so there would be only two icons colums for example)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
tanod said:
So has the petition been made to fire all of SCEE's PSN Store staff establish an official European blog and change the organization of the European store to the American style?

I'm guessing it would get a sizable number of signatures. If one of those can get Uwe Boll's attention, you'd think that SCEE could get a clue too.

I fear they'd just hire Uwe Boll to supervise the EU PSN Store out of spite...

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but after upgrading to 2.30 last night, my PS3 refuses to read any discs. Nothing comes up in the XMB for Blu Ray movies, PS3 games, or DVDs.

This probably means I'm going to have to hassle with Sony about getting a replacement unit but I'm holding out home that it's firmware-related and I won't have to be without my PS3 for the next few weeks...

Snowden

Banned
Minotauro said:
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but after upgrading to 2.30 last night, my PS3 refuses to read any discs. Nothing comes up in the XMB for Blu Ray movies, PS3 games, or DVDs.

This probably means I'm going to have to hassle with Sony about getting a replacement unit but I'm holding out home that it's firmware-related and I won't have to be without my PS3 for the next few weeks...
you're effed.

sajj316

Minotauro said:

woa .... I got in another chapter of Lair after the firmware upgrade to 2.30 (analogue controls!!). I don't believe an upgrade to your firmware is causing your discs to not read. Did you get an internal error code when your PS3 tries to read the disc?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
so what is that treasure chest section on the japanese store? i'm unable to click on it, it doesn't do anything.

jett

D-Member
Minotauro said:

I've heard of this happening to a some people, the BRD dying after upgrading the firmware. Weird. Yeah the only thing you can do is send your PS3 to Sony. Fuxx0red total.

CoG

cgcg said:
Caching is definitely there. They just need to set it to expire in 5 days or something.

Browser caching of images works by checking against the server each time if the image has been updated since the cached copy was loaded. As Panajev2001a pointed out, it seems the images are cached for the session, not long-term. I hope they fix this.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
sajj316 said:
woa .... I got in another chapter of Lair after the firmware upgrade to 2.30 (analogue controls!!). I don't believe an upgrade to your firmware is causing your discs to not read. Did you get an internal error code when your PS3 tries to read the disc?

Nah, no internal error code. The discs just fail to show up in the XMB.

ARGH, what a pain in the ass. At this point, it should be noted that I have a launch 360 that's still going strong. Knock on wood.

sajj316

Any updates on speed improvements? Sorry, but on a business trip with no access to the PS3 :( so your thread updates would be helpful.

Amon37

Lestrade said:
Hi all,

As you will have noticed, the PS Store re-launched successfully today, and we'd like to thank you for your positive feedback.

We are aware that many of you have experienced delays whilst the PS Store's thumbnail icons are being downloaded. This is a temporary consequence of a new system implementation and high global traffic levels, and will be resolved within the next few days.

Thank you for your patience and continued support!

All the best,
Lestrade

http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=138&thread.id=7875

Luckyman

Banned
CoG said:
Browser caching of images works by checking against the server each time if the image has been updated since the cached copy was loaded. As Panajev2001a pointed out, it seems the images are cached for the session, not long-term. I hope they fix this.

It works exactly like XBLM now. Even MS has not figured to put permanent cache. Wonder why? Its not like the thumbs ever change.

Top Bottom