• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2.30 PS3 firmware is out now

-Rogue5-

I think the new store is pretty swell; I kind of like just using X and O, plus it's as quick as it should've been when the PS3 launched.

I like firmware updates that offer tangible benefits.

I think once they fix the problem with icons loading really slow, the store will be really awesome.

and I checked out the Euro store and I dont get why its different for the worse.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Jim said:
A whole web based community-centric site is supposedly coming that ties in with Home, so it may have that kind of functionality. They've touched on it briefly in the past.

That sounds good. It shouldn't be too hard to implement and would give you another way to check who's online and send/read messages.

sw26

Linkzg said:
I think once they fix the problem with icons loading really slow, the store will be really awesome.

and I checked out the Euro store and I dont get why its different for the worse.

It's mostly the categorisation. If you want to find say, the Skate demo, rather than there being a simple demos tab on the left you have to navigate through the genre listing for sports and get it that way. And it becomes increasingly difficult/annoying for games which aren't easy to pigeon-hole into one genre.

patsu

For next iteration, they should add a search box for people with keyboard or for people who don't mind typing using the virtual keyboard.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
ickingfudiot said:
I love this new store.

Especially as a developer that might be releasing a game on PSN this year! The trailers feature is really awesome.

If they get it through all their games and such it will be fucking awesome! Well it is already but even more!

sprocket

Banned
patsu said:
For next iteration, they should add a search box for people with keyboard or for people who don't mind typing using the virtual keyboard.

why? you know you can pick stuff alphabetically.

tha_con

Banned
patsu said:

I don't think they'll ever due that, just because keeping it out avoids further server strain.

Jim

FiRez said:
Downloading the GoW PSP theme via Remote Play corrupted my MS pro duo, there goes my GoW and Puzzle Quest saves :(

Wait... how do you transfer data or install things onto a PSP via remote play? The new FW lets you do that?

-Rogue5-

Jim said:
Wait... how do you transfer data or install things onto a PSP via remote play? The new FW lets you do that?

I think it's been an option with remote play for a while; you click on triangle/options when you have the media highlighted, and then click "copy" or "copy to psp" or something. It works for mp3s, pics, and maybe even movies, I think..... It definitely works for mp3s (that's what I've used it for.)

FiRez

No (but I was trying to know if it worked), I just put the MS in my PS3 but when i put it back in the PSP the MS led was just flashing constantly and it didn't recognize the MS. I think the problem is Remote Play uses cache so when I removed the MS the PSP was still writing on it.

I had to format it with my PC to be able to use it again, about the store the text is very small but still readable at least it doesn't flicks badly like my SDTV

I think I figured out why it's slow. It's downloading icons randomly instead of just the ones your currently supposed to see. I was browsing the Japanese store, waiting for a section to finish load, then I entered another section and all the icons were already loaded oO.

-Rogue5-

FiRez said:
No (but I was trying to know if it worked), I just put the MS in my PS3 but when i put it back in the PSP the MS led was just flashing constantly and it didn't recognize the MS. I think the problem is Remote Play uses cache so when I removed the MS the PSP was still writing on it.

I had to format it with my PC to be able to use it again, about the store the text is very small but still readable at least it doesn't flicks badly like my SDTV

Yeah, you definitely can't transfer via remote play. I just double checked because for some reason I thought I had (as evident by my last post.)

Zoe

Metalmurphy said:
I think I figured out why it's slow. It's downloading icons randomly instead of just the ones your currently supposed to see. I was browsing the Japanese store, waiting for a section to finish load, then I entered another section and all the icons were already loaded oO.

It doesn't seem to be caching properly though. You'd expect it to persist between sessions, but it was redownloading everything for me when I went in again.

The store is much better than before.

But. I don't like how I have to move to every thumbnail to figure out what every item is. I would prefer an option that displays everything in a plain table by name etc. that can be sorted by name, date, etc.

Epix

Metalmurphy said:
If that's the case then Sony needs to configure the XMB to begin downloading those icons in the background as soon as the PS3 is turned on.

Sorry if this has been answered but it's a 30 page thread and the OP doesn't cover.. but does 2.3 add any hidden features not announced?

fanboi

Banned
Firestreak said:
Sorry if this has been answered but it's a 30 page thread and the OP doesn't cover.. but does 2.3 add any hidden features not announced?

Yes.
That GAF:ers are never ever happy... :|

sajj316

I was wondering if the slowness issue of loading icons have been resolved. If not, no big deal. They just rolled out the update last night. I'd at least give Sony a day before commenting on the user experience of the new store. It is a big roll out for them so expect issues. I also expect all issues to be resolved in a day or two (here is to hope).

patsu

Firestreak said:

Yes, according to someone on B3D (and I have verified this), you can now edit the metadata of any MP3 files. Press ^ on a MP3 file to see what I mean. Not sure if it applies to AAC and WAV yet.

sajj316

sw26 said:
It's mostly the categorisation. If you want to find say, the Skate demo, rather than there being a simple demos tab on the left you have to navigate through the genre listing for sports and get it that way. And it becomes increasingly difficult/annoying for games which aren't easy to pigeon-hole into one genre.

Why not look at alphabetically? sets and subsets of categories are always difficult to navigate. I like the fact they they offer the alphabetical view.

Erebus

It may just be me but my PS3 is making an odd noise when all the icons are loaded in the store.

Go to a category with many icons (latest for example) and wait until all the icons are loaded on screen. Now get closer to your PS3, go back on the top screen and again click on the latest tab and you'll realise the odd noise I'm talking about. :S

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mr. Wonderful said:
Anything change on the audio side? Are custom soundtracks in Super StardustHD being outputted in DTS now?
Yes if you have both DD5.1 and DTS selected in the ps3 system audio settings, SSD will default to DTS now, and the mix includes custom soundtracks.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Guy Legend said:
What's this preview thing people keep talking about? I was in the store (US) and didn't see anything....
Some items in the store have a preview option, which plays streaming video. If an item has it, it will be with the download/purchase buttons on the left.

Zoe

_leech_ said:
That's weird, the Store says I bought the flOw bundle when I only bought the stand-alone game months ago...

I don't think the add-on is listed separately at all.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
kaching said:
Some items in the store have a preview option, which plays streaming video. If an item has it, it will be with the download/purchase buttons on the left.

Well hopefully they can set it up so that everything that is for sell get the preview function.

For anyone interested, here's how the store looks on the PSP through remote play:

mm9z0m.jpg

2v9rrkn.jpg

Pretty much the same :p

Well i'm really, really liking the new store... and this is coming from someone who had no problems with the web-based store. Really solid improvement here.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
can anybody point me to a cheap receiver that can work with the ps3 to do dts-ma? i'm trying to setup a 5.1 system for a small room.

teiresias

I really like the layout of the store, but I'm questioning the actual implementation. OK, I can understand having to download the icons and art for individual games and content, because that can change, but i really don't understand why the generic icons like "Game" or the letters like 'A', 'B', 'C' icons couldn't be included in the firmware - particularly since it seems it has to download these standard icons every time you connect to the store.

keyrat said:
I thought someone mentioned that the "Do you want to run the plugin" text was gone from the browser.

I never understood that anyway. It should just be a toggle in the settings "Allow Plug-In" with a check box. You either want it all the time or you want it off. I get so sick of having to answer that question every few seconds while browsing. Why ask every time?

DarkJC

That's weird, the Store says I bought the flOw bundle when I only bought the stand-alone game months ago...

I think it lists the flOw bundle as "owned" because you already own part of it so it would be pointless to pay 9.99 for the bundle when you can get the addon for 3.99

Zoe said:
I don't think the add-on is listed separately at all.

Yep it is, just view all by title, go to flow, all its content is listed there.

llTll

Banned
ok question

was there ever a region lock on PSN games ?

if so ? how did it work ?

because i have US 60gig PS3 but i dont live in US. and for the first time ever, i bought GT5 because i really wante the game so bad.

now my question is.

was there ever a region lock on PSN games. in the sense that i bought a japanese game but i cant use it on US ps3 or whatever country to country lock ?

i was talking to TTP about this and he told me that i should be fine with GT5. but i want to know about the region lock. if there ever was any .

Top Bottom