• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2.30 PS3 firmware is out now

tanod

when is my burrito
jett said:
Is this shit up on Sony's website yet? It says the latest firmware is 2.20 :0

Takes about 12 to 18 hours after the update hits the PS3 network for it to go up on the web.

Pimpwerx

I don't think anyone should bitch about the speed. I called it two weeks ago. The new store update alone was gonna be a nightmare. Trying to launch that with GT5:p and the Warhawk add-on and other stuff is just asking for it. I expect slowdown through the weekend. It's not a big deal to me, b/c the foundation that is now there screams fast. The only thing slowing us down right now is image-loading, which is easy enough to remedy.

The new store is a complete win IMO. My only continued beef is administrative problems with SCEE and SCEJ. I don't like Japan dictating our end of things since they don't even know how to sell the console in their own territory. I don't like the EU getting the shaft on game releases. But administrative problems can also be fixed, thankfully. PEACE.

tanod

when is my burrito
Pimpwerx said:
I don't think anyone should bitch about the speed. I called it two weeks ago. The new store update alone was gonna be a nightmare. Trying to launch that with GT5:p and the Warhawk add-on and other stuff is just asking for it. I expect slowdown through the weekend. It's not a big deal to me, b/c the foundation that is now there screams fast. The only thing slowing us down right now is image-loading, which is easy enough to remedy.

The new store is a complete win IMO. My only continued beef is administrative problems with SCEE and SCEJ. I don't like Japan dictating our end of things since they don't even know how to sell the console in their own territory. I don't like the EU getting the shaft on game releases. But administrative problems can also be fixed, thankfully. PEACE.

I've come away from this update with two things:

1) Somebody seriously NEEDS to be fired from SCEE. Whoever is the equivalent of Grace Chen in Europe is fucking up BIG time.

2) Given time, Sony can come up with some amazing interface software. The store interface really is the first thing network-related that I can say that Sony has hit out of the park and blew past Microsoft's efforts. It makes me really excited for the eventual in-game XMB and future firmware updates.

wow, I never knew there was a PixelJunk Racers demo, this game is pretty awesome!

I couldent find a Go sports skiing or sky diving demo, I want to try those.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Panajev2001a said:
You know Kaching, you should ease on the sarcasm: they suggest just a pinch of it :p.
That was a pinch! I have big fingers, what can I say.

From the comments on the EU PS forums and the typos, seemingly missing content, etc... calling it "Stable/Final" is worse than giving the store a beta period.
If you've got a service going live that's accepting monetary transactions from any segment of public, there's really no room to call it "beta". Typos and missing content are nuisances, no dispute, but they don't qualify a service like this as beta. No one would call a brick and mortar store "under construction" just because of typos or because some advertised items aren't in stock. "BETA" has become a crutch in some regards - it only works for the kind of services Google tends to launch because there's absolutely no involvement of a monetary obligation on behalf of the public.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Pimpwerx said:
I don't think anyone should bitch about the speed. I called it two weeks ago. The new store update alone was gonna be a nightmare. Trying to launch that with GT5:p and the Warhawk add-on and other stuff is just asking for it. I expect slowdown through the weekend.

There are ways around that, of course. Use the right technologies to serve your data and you can adjust for demand like this relatively easily, or so I'm told. ;)

besada

Banned
New store looks nice. Certainly better than the old store. Not blowing me away or anything, but it looks nice.

I guess nothing came with the firmware update other than the store?

ukiraros

besada said:
New store looks nice. Certainly better than the old store. Not blowing me away or anything, but it looks nice.

I guess nothing came with the firmware update other than the store?

DTS-HD MA came with it as well.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
emacs said:
even when something is free some people fabricate reasons to complain. go figure.

Just because it's free doesn't mean we just should lie down and accept crap does it, this is one of the reason why I say we should be paying for PSN because this everyones excuse all over the net, "oo oo but it's free you can't complain" yes I fucking can complain, this is the internetz and I haz powers !!!, seriously though, if we don't kick up a fuss nothing would get done.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
iapetus said:
There are ways around that, of course. Use the right technologies to serve your data and you can adjust for demand like this relatively easily, or so I'm told. ;)

In a wonderful world it would work like that man in reality not so much.

BeeDog

Gah, can't get over the ridiculous PSN store bug where the scrolling text (when you click on any item in the shop) overlaps kind of glitchy with the Terms of Service text at the bottom.

:'( It's a knee in the groin for one who fucking loves perfect UI's.

Epix

I wish the margins were reduced and the store took up the whole screen. I've got a 71" 1080p and I have some trouble with the text from the couch.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
anddo0 said:
Last try...

Anyone?

IMG_1009.jpg
Yep, thats the crap it keeps giving me when I try to access the UK store.

Jim

BeeDog said:
Gah, can't get over the ridiculous PSN store bug where the scrolling text (when you click on any item in the shop) overlaps kind of glitchy with the Terms of Service text at the bottom.

:'( It's a knee in the groin for one who fucking loves perfect UI's.

I havent seen that at all (at 1080p)... are you @1080p or 720p? Could make a difference.

Ello

Jim said:
I havent seen that at all (at 1080p)... are you @1080p or 720p? Could make a difference.

Yup, it does make a difference. I tried it in 1080i and I did not see it, but at 720p it's there.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
lowrider007 said:
Just because it's free doesn't mean we just should lie down and accept crap does it, this is one of the reason why I say we should be paying for PSN because this everyones excuse all over the net, "oo oo but it's free you can't complain" yes I fucking can complain, this is the internetz and I haz powers !!!, seriously though, if we don't kick up a fuss nothing would get done.

Microsoft had a huge headstart with xbox live, and really put a lot of resources into making it a comprehensive and for the most part, reliable service

Sony didn't start so early on their on-line service, mainly because, at the time, the Japanese didn't see the point in an on-line service , I think a yearly fee for PSN wouldn't change what it is now, and the problems it currently has, it would probably just be the same PSN, but with a yearly fee, although improvements may come at a faster pace

So i agree, if we pay a fee, we may see improvements appear faster in the future, but coming from a PC gaming background, I find myself ethically opposed to paying for the service, when i also pay for the software (unless it is an MMO)

Quote war? ;)

It looks nice, but there are a few little problems that should sort themselves out over time.

But why isn't there a dedicated section for demo's?

They're just mixed in with the games, and where's our alphabetical full listing.

Firewire

Banned
Store looks awesome on a 1080p set, and works really fast & smooth. Sony just needs to iron out the small details, like the images taking a bit of time to load.

Overall I think they did a top notch job on the store.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
I know this is not really on topic with this thread, but it isn't worth starting a new one either. My question is, can I message my friends through PSN without being on the PS3? Sometimes when I'm still working, I drop a message to some friends on LIVE and can read when they send some to me through Xbox.com. I looked around a little on the Playstation website and I can't find it anywhere.

So, am I just looking in the wrong place, or can I not do it at all?

Pallaris

UK store has been completely fucked for me pretty much the whole day. As to be expected... right now only the category list is loading for me. Zero art spaces.

Anyway yes to confirm there is definitely that UI glitch in 720p mode, I just switched to 1080p (my TV is 720p but accepts a 1080p signal and scales down) and it's fine.

The tutorial is confusing as hell. Someone help me NAO! I saved the firmware onto my storage drive. So can I just plug it into my PS3 and hit the update via storage medium?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Firewire said:
Store looks awesome on a 1080p set, and works really fast & smooth. Sony just needs to iron out the small details, like the images taking a bit of time to load.

Overall I think they did a top notch job on the store.

Agreed it looks freaking nice on 1080p real smooth.

I think the image thing is because it's the first day and all and everyone is trying to check it out, hopefully it will get better.

Erebus

It seems Sony didn't test the store at 720p then, otherwise they should have seen the glitch, it's practically impossible to miss it.

Waiting for 2.31 soon...:D

Firewire

Banned
squatingyeti said:
I know this is not really on topic with this thread, but it isn't worth starting a new one either. My question is, can I message my friends through PSN without being on the PS3? Sometimes when I'm still working, I drop a message to some friends on LIVE and can read when they send some to me through Xbox.com. I looked around a little on the Playstation website and I can't find it anywhere.

So, am I just looking in the wrong place, or can I not do it at all?

If you have a PSP & its synced with the PS3 yes.

GrayFoxPL

Downloading R-TYPE DELTA from hong kong store. Fuck, it's slow as hell - any slower and it'd start uploading.

Not my first game from that store and it was always fast. Shit. Stop hammering servers!

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Firewire said:
If you have a PSP & its synced with the PS3 yes.

Nope, I was looking for the ability to do it while at work. That sucks. Have they ever mentioned anything like adding that? I know it's not a high priority, but it's still nice to have.

Jim

squatingyeti said:
Nope, I was looking for the ability to do it while at work. That sucks. Have they ever mentioned anything like adding that? I know it's not a high priority, but it's still nice to have.

A whole web based community-centric site is supposedly coming that ties in with Home, so it may have that kind of functionality. They've touched on it briefly in the past.

BlindMonkey said:
But why isn't there a dedicated section for demo's?

They're just mixed in with the games, and where's our alphabetical full listing.

US version has that, EU version is all wacky and not-sense-making.

Top Bottom