• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 Mega CD/Sega CD games get re-releases from Limited Run (Monkey Island and Star Wars: Rebel Assault)

Kazza

TSOMI_SCD_460x.png
MI_PE_460x.png
REBELASSAULT_460x.png
RebelAssaultPE_460x.png

$39.99 for the regular editions and $74.99 for the special editions. It's pretty amazing that they managed to pull this off. I wonder if Sega got paid for this? They don't have appear to have any Sega branding ("Limited Run" is in the spot where "Sega CD" would otherwise be), so maybe not, but then again this is still their console, so...

While these two aren't the most exciting releases (I've never played Rebel Assault, but Monkey Island is much better played on modern systems, with voice acting and lack of loading times), this is an encouraging sign nonetheless. Maybe we will get a Snatcher, Popful Mail or Terminator re-release in the future? There are plenty of Sega Cd games that have rocketed in price, so even $39.99 might be an attractive price to some. I think it's a shame that they don't have the Sega branding though, it makes them look less authentic. It does that that the box art is liable to change (they won't be released for another 2-4 months), so maybe that Sega branding is still a possibility after all.

Rebel Assault is a pretty fun Star Fox-esque game. I remember liking it when I played it years ago (PC version). The inclusion of the SW soundtrack and the matching sound effects (like blaster fire) were mind-blowing at the time.

What a strange choice, these games aren't meant to be played on the Sega CD... They are both PC games at heart. And the Sega CD versions are sub par, mainly because of the limited color palette of the system.

Keep in mind that I love the Sega CD, it has a some great games (but I hate sega's emphasis on FMV)... I just don't think it's the best place for these games in particular.

Gargus

Banned
Call me when they release them playable on a ps4 or something.

I don't want to buy a Sega CD game that can only be played on a Sega CD.

RAIDEN1

Why you would get the grainy/washed out Rebel Assault over the superior PC version I don't know, and instead of Monkey Island, they should have re-released Indy Fate of Atlantis but this time for the Sega CD, which was originally planned, but then dropped...

I wouldn't even take these games for free, but hopefully this means we'll get more Sega CD games in the future. Imagine if they somehow get to re-release Snatcher.

Top Bottom