• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 Months after release: Diablo IV is getting a 25% discount on all editions and a 25% XP bonus weekend

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I plan to play these games as intended: for a week or two every season.

Who here just grinds even PoE day in day out ?

GaaS thrive on Fomo but this game doesn’t have fomo currently. I got season 1 stuff completed within 5 days I think.

People who want forever games need to look elsewhere as the current ARPGs don’t have models designed that way. It’s why every new league for PoE it spikes to 100k average then a week later it’s like 20k, then after it’s 10k.

Last edited:
Diablo 3.5 who would guess?

The game is boring the added a lot of unnecessary shitlike mounts just to seel micro transactions.

Free to play next year?

Sleepwalker

One game I regret buying and they got me for ult edition

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

I said I wasn't going to buy it then bought it on release and didn't like it. Oh well...

Fantastic game but no real upper tier content. Im 87 and have absolutely everything I want for my necro. Perfect gear.

Now the wait fr a reason to hit 100

100+ hours and a fantastic value for cost per hour

Last edited:

Macattk15

I definitely got my $60 out of it in time played, but the game is fucking pointless at "endgame".

The itemization sucks. Season 1 sucks.

It's a game that I'll probably check out in a year or so to see what's changed, but until then I really don't have an interest with all these other games coming out now.

I’m having fun playing the campaign, but I just don’t get some of the design decisions.

Least of all the disconnect between the incredibly dark and realistically rendered environments and the half cartoony characters that inhabit them.

It’s like the environment team and character/enemy design and animators get together at the last minute and were like “uhhh, what briefing did you guys get?”

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Trash or not, it sold well, people played it a lot. Even my very casual friends bought it. Shockingly even trash games sell. Once this year ends and we have a break from all these games coming, people will return to grinding in it.
It sold well because it’s called Diablo and is made by Blizzard. Reviewers showed their dick sucking incompetence reviewing this turd.

It’s a unfinished unfun game. I should have trusted my gut feeling after the demo (can find my comments about it in my history).
But I myself could not believe the makers of fucking Diablo to do this bad.

It's not without merits, but it got boring really fast. Managed to hold my attention until level 65 or something. I'm not feeling it liked I used to with D3.

I get the complete edition with the addon that has yet to be announced for 29€ in 1 1/2 years. Complete game, no bugs, reasonable price. :)

Im lagging a year behind in gaming, but man...patience is great for gaming.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

It was a chore to finish. I would have dumped out before finishing if not for fast travel and horse. What surprises me most is how long it took to develop.

MirageMew2

I genuinely can’t imagine being a new player and having to run through that campaign on foot 80% of the game. Watching alts/Eternal players on horse dash on by… heh

Last edited:
It's a good once and done game but one of the worst live service games I've ever played as there is nothing to keep you coming back.

If you just want to blast through the story then it's really well done but it's very easy to drop the game as it gets boring fast which is kind of the opposite of what a Dev would want from a live service game.

I got my money's worth out of it but it's no Diablo 2 that's for sure.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Strong play with balders gate and starfield.

I need to go back in but other games grabbed me. Just choice paralysis to be honest.

mrmustard

Banned
25% is nothing, i've seen 200m dollar AAAs with better or equal MC score drop in the 30 Euro range within 2 months (disc version of course).

Last edited:

Filben

Where do you take the time from when you're an adult with a job and even only a minimum amount of responsibility, not even including kids, to play all these juggernauts. I still haven't finished TotK, then there's BG3, and Starfield around the corner. And that's not accounting for all those other great games in between like Sea of Stars, Chained Echoes, Jagged Alliance 3 I'm still wanting to play. Just to name a few of them.

And then, as a developer, you drop the next grind fest on top of it? No bonus xp or price discount will make we want to play it more often. A great game does. And a game that respects my time.

Shubh_C63

I am thankful for the open beta. Playing it for 6 hours that one day made me realize the game was average.
Also no way I am buying this at 5600 INR.

Skifi28

Finished the campaign and I was done. I'd rather go back to Diablo 3 if I wanted to grind endgame stuff.

mrmustard

Banned
Where do you take the time from when you're an adult with a job and even only a minimum amount of responsibility, not even including kids, to play all these juggernauts. I still haven't finished TotK, then there's BG3, and Starfield around the corner. And that's not accounting for all those other great games in between like Sea of Stars, Chained Echoes, Jagged Alliance 3 I'm still wanting to play. Just to name a few of them.
Many single people get home at 5pm. 1 hour for food/household chores/sports/shopping or whatever = 5-6 hours of free time + the weekend is completey yours.

Or from another point of view: During Q4 2022 the average US adult spent 294 minutes per day with TV, down slightly from 303 during Q4 2019.
Play games instead of watching tv and done.

If you got a wife/husband and kids, your time is mostly fucked thats's for sure,

Remove enemy scaling and I’ll give it another try, but the game in it’s current form is an unrewarding monitised treadmill

Last edited:

PeteBull

For ppl interested/wondering if they should bite, as series veteran(total probably close to 10k hours spent, most in d2:lod and d2r) who spent 150h+ and got to lvl 77 summon necro in d4- game is really fun early on when u beat story/sidequests/explore maps and do those fun objectives like finding altars/conquering strongholds.

As soon as u are done with that, u realise gameplay loop is terrible, itemisation is extremly boring(not complicated, just boring), and u get 0 dopamine rush coz u get no big frog-like jump in power when u lvl up/get better gear, rather its extremly linear/tiny, on top of that lvl scaling of mobs is very steep, especially if u dont play meta build if u dont find good upgrades later on (50-70lvls) u realise u get weaker as u lvl up simply coz mobs lvl up with u, thats extremly demotivating.

As a counter if u beat d4/got bored of it i strongly recommend grim dawn instead(for single player experience), with its 2 expacks, another expack got announced for it recently
For multiplayer hack and slash still poe and d2r are kings.

Filben

m. 1 hour for food/household chores/sports/shopping
1 hour isn't enough for all of it. Of course you won't be needing to do all of it in a single day and not every day, but there's other things, too, you have to do. Doing your taxes, visiting the barber, going to the post office or doing other administrative things. Shit adds up. Then maaaybe gaming isn't your only hobby, and/or you have a social life on more than one day a week. Or you have a big family that's still living close and you spend time with them and relatives.

Anyways, I'm not arguing anyone's individual daily routine. What works for one won't for another.

However, if you compare a GaaS game with what you're going to achieve in five hours opposed to a "traditional" game (and I don't mean padded and bloated games like AC) there's a huge discrepancy and there's only so much you can realistically play.

And it's volitional by the companies. You shall not have any game on the side, because that subtracts play time from their game which make them loose money (that's how they calculate... every dollar they didn't make is a lost dollar).

Progression and its pace (level, challenges) have always been a huge topic in communities like Apex Legends and Destiny and the like. Devs always try to slow things down deliberately and there's only so much the community, which is already a hugely invested one, until they rant on Reddit and devs paddle back. But they definitely going to try it for maximum playtime.

This is probably too far off topic anyways. So I'm gonna drop it and closing on that I'm not surprised about falling player numbers and some textbook tactics to increase them. Only thing missing is daily log in boni.

Has this actually got any better since release? I bought the expensive version and feel like a cunt for it, played the campaign and instantly uninstalled it. Didn’t even bother with the season 1 stuff.

Red5

Don't regret buying it at all. I grew up on Diablo 2 and D4 is closer to D2 than any other ARPG out there visually and gameplay. But just like D2 I only play it for the story, replay it once every 2 years, don't care for the GAAS shit at all.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Don't regret buying it at all. I grew up on Diablo 2 and D4 is closer to D2 than any other ARPG out there visually and gameplay. But just like D2 I only play it for the story, replay it once every 2 years, don't care for the GAAS shit at all.
It’s nothing like D2. It’s a kids Version of D2. D2 had a dark story, told with dignity to the material. D4 had holograms :(

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
GaaS thrive on Fomo but this game doesn’t have fomo currently.
GaaS thrives on fun, not fomo. Diablo IV isn't fun to play (for most people) for very long.

We're hearing "I'll check in for a week or two every season" a lot. The best GaaS games don't foster this kind of mentality. The Diablo formula has gotten long in the tooth.

Roxkis_ii

Man, I got d4 about two weeks ago. Spent a week playing the campain and enjoyed it, but afterwards, it has gotten massively boring. I never feel like the grind is worth anything because my character never feels powerful and I don't understand why all the gear I get is still 10 levels below me.

In fact, my character feels waeker since I've beaten the game. Maybe my gear is trash, I'm not sure, but since Sea of Stars has come out, I haven't looked back.

Season pass did nothing for me.

Little Mac

Gold Member
They got me for the Ultimate edition. Got a Sorc to 100 preseason and then a Druid to 55 in Season 1 and then I just mentally checked the fuck out of the game. It's just not fun. I got my money's worth in playtime but I wouldn't do it again or recommend the game in its current state. Also Blizzard can't seem to post anything on social media without embarrassing themselves. And PoE2 just looks 1000x better despite its unapologetic complexity.

Last edited:

Laieon

We're hearing "I'll check in for a week or two every season" a lot. The best GaaS games don't foster this kind of mentality.

The "best" GaaS games foster addiction.

I'd much rather be able to hop into a GaaS game a week or two every season, feel fulfilled, and experience another game than feel like I need to keep playing due to FOMO or something. I'd much rather have 1000 DIVs than 1000 League of Legends, which I was hopelessly addicted to in the early 2010s to the point where it started to impact my life.

I get why people are disappointed if they just want a "forever game", but give me variety. I don't need or want my games to last 100s or 1000s of hours anymore. Let me hop in, hop out, and get a sense of fulfillment doing that whenever I do that.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The "best" GaaS games foster addiction.

I'd much rather be able to hop into a GaaS game a week or two every season, feel fulfilled, and experience another game than feel like I need to keep playing due to FOMO or something. I'd much rather have 1000 DIVs than 1000 League of Legends, which I was hopelessly addicted to in the early 2010s to the point where it started to impact my life.

I get why people are disappointed if they just want a "forever game", but give me variety. I don't need or want my games to last 100s or 1000s of hours anymore. Let me hop in, hop out, and get a sense of fulfillment doing that whenever I do that.

I can name multiple GAAS games that have become huge hits without any FOMO elements added onto the product.

I can't name a single "one and done" game that has succeeded without a FOMO marketing blitz.

What does that tell you?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t exactly have amazing memories of Diablo IV. Some things were cool, but overall it was pretty forgettable. The game got super boring at times. Its best parts are literally Diablo II references and the Lilith stuff is so short lived. I already uninstalled the game. I played Diablo III way more than this game, but it’s still very early.

And then, as a developer, you drop the next grind fest on top of it? No bonus xp or price discount will make we want to play it more often. A great game does. And a game that respects my time.
If you don’t watch sub services and you aren’t on your phone then you have game time. There is time, while not a lot. You can still finish these big games in 2-3 weeks.

I think the way that you associate with video games, makes you think you only have a certain time frame to beat a game. Take your time. Sometimes people travel or they take a night off from responsibilities.

There are a lot of people who prioritize gaming over everything else in their life. Of course they can take down a game in a short period of time. I’ve got a somewhat busy life and I finished the game 3-4 weeks later. I got bored sometimes. I’d rather play another game than waste time on doing daily misc crap for silly rewards.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Has this actually got any better since release? I bought the expensive version and feel like a cunt for it, played the campaign and instantly uninstalled it. Didn’t even bother with the season 1 stuff.

From what people stated in their own forums, no. They said they didn't implement basic functions and the stash continues to be a big issue. They feel like its all made on purpose to force people to waste more time with the game.

wipeout364

They need to adjust the season pass. As someone who plays occasionally I look at it and see no progress at all. They need to move to some other model so casual players feel like they are progressing.

It’s weird because Overwatch has one of the best battle passes for progression in games.

Top Bottom