• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 screen captures of The Order 1886 leaked! Video incoming?

Stillmatic

Probably both. Gameplay walkthrough video released at the same time as a trailer like several other games have been doing lately. We know they've had multiple trailers ready to go for a while now.

That would be perfect! Feels like this game just fell off the map since reveal, hopefully we do get a good look at the game.

Shin-Ra

The red on their outfits is new, right? Looks good.
Nope.

iOfwSwvjxNeoH.jpg

ibcHZQttIxwZG3.jpg
Look at that leather and buckled straps around his waste in the gameplay shot. They're really fantastic character models.

Is this a "Pst! Shut your piehole" OR "Mmph! Who farted?!" finger gesture?
Something looks pretty dead to me.

Derrick01

Banned
Clearly the game is aiming to be cinematic, which is fine with me.

It's not fine with me. We already have too many games that throw their gameplay to the side to tell their D-grade story. It would be nice to see trends change a bit with the new generation instead of keeping up with the same old issues from the previous gen.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
These are the classiest looking badasses in gaming at the moment. Western character design can be just as cool and unique as Japanese design.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's not fine with me. We already have too many games that throw their gameplay to the side to tell their D-grade story. It would be nice to see trends change a bit with the new generation instead of keeping up with the same old issues from the previous gen.

I severely doubt you're going to be happy with this game. It's confirmed to be a linear game with a large emphasis on story.

MavFan619

Banned
Ok I'm not looking to be argue with you about this. I'm looking forward to the game and am interested in the atmosphere and from little info we've gotten, the story. Can't wait to see how it plays as well obviously.

Yesss, I'm ecstatic. Already letting myself be carried away by the hype for a new video. A gameplay reveal would just be so amazing. This game!

There are other games out there, currently and in the future.

I swear, sometimes it seems like anything that isn't by Obisidion, or is a classic System Shock or Thief game is on your shitlist. I know that isn't particularly the case, but there are enough games out there for everyone with varying tastes considered that this shouldn't be such a major issue.

This is the game that has me the most hyped. So much potential, I can't friggen wait!

For a guy that claims to be all about gameplay, I don't understand why you wrote off many of the upcoming games. Fighting games and action games are purely gameplay. Not sure how you can have no interest in Lily Bergamo, Guilty Gear, or any of the other non "AAA big budget massive marketing story-driven" games.

Yea, I don't get why it's one or other for some people. Cinematic games can and often times do have great gameplay. ND's games are a blast, so is Tomb Raider. It can work very well

Tesseract

Banned

like lords of shadow?

:0

I really fear this game is going to be rushed cause of Sony pressure to get this out by 2014.... but I guess that happens to all big blockbuster games.

Its been in development since 2010. And Shu doesn't seem to want to rush any games at this point, as evident by Driveclub's delay

Shin-Ra

Well they also built the engine from the ground up at the same time
I think RaD were already working on their own middleware for multiplat development so they should have had a healthy start to this project unlike Naughty Dog with Drake's Fortune.

edit: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune "Amazing Feats of Daring" a post-mortem

We were going to try and learn a lot of new tricks for Uncharted.

We were going to be using new types of production methodologies and technologies, and even though we had a great PS2 code base, for a number of reasons we set out to create an entirely new game engine and tools, starting from ZERO lines of code!

This would come back to bite us in the butt later on.

Here’s a really quick overview of our production timeline:

1 year of preproduction
2 years of full production

This might seem like a lot of time, but we still found ourselves very crunched at the end of the project, because of how long it took us to get everything going.
In June of 2006, the team faced a big crisis.

Creating the E3 trailer had exposed issues with the tools pipeline, and it was at this time that that we realized that we were in deep trouble.

Like I said, we’d developed all-new tools for Uncharted, including BAM, our asset management system, BuildBig, our first GUI build tool, and a shader and material editor called Shmeditor.

But there were numerous problems with the tools – they were slow and had other usability issues - and people were very frustrated by them. We realized that we’d bitten off more than we could chew with our tools approach.

Basically we’d tried to be too clever – coming up with convoluted approaches that were intended to solve every last problem that anyone had ever had with each kind of tool.

To make it worse, we’d gotten distracted by our lofty aspirations, and left it very late to implement a tools pipeline that let people build and play levels.

In many, if not most, cases, we went back to our old familiar Jak and Daxter ways of doing things with tools.

And from then on, things got better and better, and we began to get really good traction on building out the game.

Our takeaway from this experience was: don’t try to solve every last tools issue! It’s good to aim high, but choose your battles.

Interview: Ready At Dawn Announces Console Game Engine (2009)

What made you decide to get into the engine game?

Didier Malenfant: We've gone through all the pains of developing triple-A games. One thing we've learned is nothing is more important than the tools you used to create your games. Middleware hasn't really delivered on its promises. There are a lot of licenses out there, but all you hear is horror stories about how it's hampered development, rather than made it easier.

How long have you been developing this tech with an eye specifically towards licensing?

DM: We were put in a situation initally when we started Ready at Dawn and we didn't have a choice of middleware, since there was none on PSP at the time. We started out of that need, more than anything else.

But over the years, people saw the tools and the result, and really wanted to use it for themselves and their games. It's something that, now, has evolved into the point where we can do this seriously, and have all the backing we need internally to do this as a business at the site of our game teams.

In a way, it's been five or six years coming, but like with our game development, we wanted to make sure we were ready to get into that space, as opposed to just going out there and signing a bunch of people who were disappointed because we're not ready.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Some sort of beast-man hybrids from what I understand. I thought it was werewolves at first too, but that doesn't seem to be quite accurate.

This is prime Jeckyl & Hyde period too, isn't it? Sort of goes along with the Ripper theme. Maybe the story ties the whole Ripper-Hyde connection angle? I've just started keeping up but it seems possible.

viveks86

Not enough

So what's the enemy, werewolves?

Some sort of beast-man hybrids from what I understand. I thought it was werewolves at first too, but that doesn't seem to be quite accurate.

Looks like there is more than one type.

The half-breeds are given names after mythological creatures and folk-tale characters, but are actually a new species of sentient Earth creatures

The differing breeds engage in conflicts which eventually spark a war changing the course of history

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/433085/the-order-1886-new-details-on-characters-exotic-weapons-and-gameplay/

Would love to see variety!

Replicant

I hope there are good varieties of monsters. One thing that I felt make TLoU not as scary for me was that the monsters were quite limited in variety. New monster creates an element of surprise and also terrify me as a player because I have no idea how to deal with said monster beforehand.

This is prime Jeckyl & Hyde period too, isn't it? Sort of goes along with the Ripper theme. Maybe the story ties the whole Ripper-Hyde connection angle? I've just started keeping up but it seems possible.

I've heard people saying Jack the Ripper might be involved given the setting pretty much since this game was announced, so you might be on the right track. I really love that they've chosen such an interesting time period and aesthetic to draw inspiration from. This Hyde/Ripper tone is something I haven't seen a game take good advantage of before.

I read the "differing breeds" thing as meaning differing breeds of humanity- the humans and the half-breeds. The mythological creatures things clearly points to a variety of half-breeds, though. Thank you for sharing that article, I hadn't seen it before! Mythological creatures, huh? Hoping we'll see stuff like a gargoyle, for instance.

I'm hoping this means the story will have some sort of hazy morality to it. Just reading the synopsis, it seems like humanity might be more at fault than the half-breeds. Would be a nice change of pace for shooters like this to be more self-conscious.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Would be nice to finally see some gameplay and make the determination if it's just another cinematic shooter that's not worth paying attention to or something worthy of being "next gen".

yeah

I cannot get excited for a game when I have literally no idea what it looks like when you're actually playing it

sjay1994

Honestly, I've been down on this game ever since ND announced a new uncharted.

It seems redundant that Sony now has two "cinematic third person shooters".

Actually, I'm not being fair to readyatdawn.

I think I'm just more upset about another uncharted because it feels like a downgrade from the variety of approach and tension that The last of us had.

So I will give RAD benifit of the doubt, because the story they are trying to tell sounds ambitious to say the least.

I just hope ND does something radical with uncharted.

robotrock

Banned

I think I'm just more upset about another uncharted because it feels like a downgrade from the variety of approach and tension that The last of us had.

So I will give RAD benifit of the doubt, because the story they are trying to tell sounds ambitious to say the least.

I'm pretty excited to see RAD to something new, I suppose. It's refreshing after they made those two GoW games, Daxter, and that Okami port. I am also excited as hell for Uncharted 4 though. I welcome good cinematic third person shooters.

sjay1994

I'm pretty excited to see RAD to something new, I suppose. It's refreshing after they made those two GoW games, Daxter, and that Okami port. I am also excited as hell for Uncharted 4 though. I welcome good cinematic third person shooters.

Like I said, I feel like I am being hard on RAD since the order has an interesting concept storywise

Synopsis

The Order: 1886 is set in an alternate history where an old order of knights keep all of the world safe from half bred monsters, who are a combination of animal and man. In the game's history, around the seventh or eighth centuries a small number of humans took on bestial traits. The majority of humans feared these half breeds and war broke out. Despite the humans outnumbering the half breeds, their animal strength gave them the upper hand in centuries of conflict.
Centuries later, humanity finds new hope in King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. King Arthur and his like-minded knights take the fight to the half breeds, but Arthur soon realizes it's a losing battle. Through a mysterious turn of fate The Knights discover Black Water, a mystical liquid that significantly extends their lifetimes and gives them remarkable healing abilities. Despite this new advantage the half breeds continue to win battle after battle, until the industrial Revolution turns the tide. Inventors are far ahead of their time, inventing technologies such as thermal imaging, Zeppelins, and wireless communications. New weapons belch electricity, ignite clouds of molten metal on top of enemies, and fulfill dual functions as Fragmentation grenades and proximity mines.
By 1886, the war still goes on, but the humans almost have martial law. A new threat emerges in the form of the lower classes rebelling against the rich and the social order, with the Knights supporting the well-to-do upper classes and nobles. The game features four main protagonists from the same squad, who each has a given name, and the adopted name of one of the original Knights. The oldest is Sebastian Mallory, the second to bear the name of Sir Percival, and the descendant of Thomas Mallory, who in the 1400s wrote Le Morte d'Arthur, the definitive Arthurian Text. A close friend of Grayson, he is one of the best Knights in the history of the order.

I just don't see why ND is making another uncharted, when TLOU was such a step up from Uncharted. I guess its because Uncharted is sony's most popular franchise.

And just so people know, I have nothing against uncharted as a franchise. As a person who never strayed from nintendo handhelds and systems, I got a PS3 in 2009.

My friends told m about this game uncharted 2, which I didn't know about was amazing. One of them lent me their copy, and it blew my mind. After beating it, I went out and bought my own copy.

Shin-Ra

This doesn't make any sense.

You acknowledge that TLoU differentiated itself from Uncharted despite both having shooting as a major mechanic and the obvious cross-pollination within ND.
You don't know what the Uncharted team's doing differently on PS4, we've seen and heard nothing.

We've seen nothing of The Order's action-story mix, depth of interaction with the environment dressing, the physics we have heard about but not really seen. Unless Uncharted 4 spends a lot of time in late 1800's London the story should be very different. The Order has the whole alternative-technology and black water thing going on

sn00zer

In compltely unrelated news but not worthy of a thread Sony Santa Monica is currently streaming Super Mario Bros. 2 on their official twitch stream

sjay1994

This doesn't make any sense.

You acknowledge that TLoU differentiated itself from Uncharted despite both having shooting as a major mechanic and the obvious cross-pollination within ND.
You don't know what the Uncharted team's doing differently on PS4, we've seen and heard nothing.

We've seen nothing of The Order's action-story mix, depth of interaction with the environment dressing, the physics we have heard about but not really seen. Unless Uncharted 4 spends a lot of time in late 1800's London the story should be very different. The Order has the whole alternative-technology and black water thing going on

Which is why I said, I hope ND does something radical with uncharted. TLOU offered a wider range of opportunity during gameplay due to its crafting and stealth.

I don't just want Uncharted with better graphics. I hope to see something new. Like what Assassins creed did with naval, or what Second Son is doing with delsin and multiple powers.

jiiikoo

Banned
It would make sense they would show some gameplay footage on the day PS4 is launched in Japan, atleast it would to me.

Top Bottom