• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 weeks till Wii – why do I still have questions?

Before this forum fully tears itself apart with stupid fanboy bickering and gamefaqs-worthy topics (I mean holy shit: “Which game is the bigger legend?! (OoT & FF7 related)”, or “Why the PS3 has virtually no chance in North America.” – are you serious??) I got a few last questions about the Wii I need answered. Don’t let me down GAF.

1. Is there an extension cable for the sensor bar? (I have a ceiling mounted PJ about 15 ft. back and my entertainment stand sits back there too – I really need this for my setup)

2. S-video cables – have they been confirmed? (I just won’t play the system on composite; call me crazy I don’t care, but after upgrading my PS2, there is just no going below this bare minimum)

3. I’ve heard there is calibration for TV screen size, has this been confirmed? (again, projector, 10ft. diagonal screen, having some calibration might make it more natural)

4. Has Nintendo announced a first party USB Ethernet adaptor? How about 3rd party? (everything’s wired at my place, though I may go wireless)

5. This is a stupid one: any word on other colours for the remote? (one white one black would be sweet, but really, I think I know the answer to this already)

That’s it for now. You guys are just super.

There are already black, blue, and green gloves available for the Wiimotes, though i'm not sure if that's what you had in mind.

adg1034

2, 3, 4: Yes. I've seen all of those confirmed various places. 1- probably, and 5- they'll have colored Wiimotes before they come out with colored Wiis.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
there is this little thing called the joy of discovering things for yourself.

different colour remote - why do you care for launch? lets assume no for now

sensor bar extension - why have your wii back there? just have a long av cable like normal people with projectors. And someone will hack together something before long

calibration - find out when you plug it in. Not sure about using such a large screen generally though - have there been any impressions on a PJ?

If you're so concerned about your specific situation then it might be worth waiting

PlayStation Tree said:
1. Is there an extension cable for the sensor bar? (I have a ceiling mounted PJ about 15 ft. back and my entertainment stand sits back there too – I really need this for my setup)

I don't know about that but I know that the bar doesn't necessarily have to be near the TV, it can be between it and you for example... as long as you can point within its field while playing.

PlayStation Tree said:
3. I’ve heard there is calibration for TV screen size, has this been confirmed? (again, projector, 10ft. diagonal screen, having some calibration might make it more natural)

I recall something about the system asking you to find two dots that are on the screen using the remote's own sensor. I would guess that if this is so, the system is able to guesstimate the rough size of your screen in relation to the sensor bar.

PlayStation Tree said:
4. Has Nintendo announced a first party USB Ethernet adaptor? How about 3rd party? (everything’s wired at my place, though I may go wireless)

I've definately seen the USB ethernet adaptor but I don't know who is responsible for it.

PlayStation Tree said:
5. This is a stupid one: any word on other colours for the remote? (one white one black would be sweet, but really, I think I know the answer to this already)

Nintendo seem to have stopped using multi coloured consoles and remotes in their PR shots, but I'm certain they'll release different colours eventually. If not, there are always the 'skins' that third parties seem to be keen on releasing.

Soybean

In one of the Q&A articles a month or two back, IGN's Matt said he talked to Pelican and they ARE making a sensor bar extension cable.

koam

gamergirly said:
Like any other video game system. Set the sensor bar near the system, cut Wii on, point & click

Your first sentence and second sentence don't go well together.

mrklaw said:
there is this little thing called the joy of discovering things for yourself.

different colour remote - why do you care for launch? lets assume no for now

sensor bar extension - why have your wii back there? just have a long av cable like normal people with projectors. And someone will hack together something before long

calibration - find out when you plug it in. Not sure about using such a large screen generally though - have there been any impressions on a PJ?

If you're so concerned about your specific situation then it might be worth waiting

I hear ya, but things like the sensor bar extension, s-video cable and USB ethernet directly affect how much I will be spending on the 19th. I'd like to know what i'm in for.

And no I'm not adjusting my fvcking room setup just for the Wii. I already have 20ft cables to get from my equiptment rack to the ceiling; you're suggesting I buy 30ft Component, RGB, S-video and compisite cables just so I can have the Wii closer to the screen? Really?

PlayStation Tree said:

I would imagine any USB Ethernet adaptor would work, they did the same thing with the dongle for the DS. I went away and bought a cheap Cable & Wireless dongle and it works perfectly. Of course there's going to have to be a guinea pig to test it out for everyone.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
koam said:
Will my Gamecube S-video cable work on the wii?

That's a confirmed no.

My question: Since component are sold online only, are S-video cables also online only, or even available at launch and not just confirmed for a later date?

gkryhewy

1. Amazon.com has a sensor bar extension cable available for preorder.
4. It's been confirmed that the DS wifi dongle will also work for Wii, and that Nintendo and/or third parties will also be releasing an ethernet adapter.

Chibbi Brady said:
I would imagine any USB Ethernet adaptor would work, they did the same thing with the dongle for the DS. I went away and bought a cheap Cable & Wireless dongle and it works perfectly. Of course there's going to have to be a guinea pig to test it out for everyone.

How does that work - wouldn't a USB ethernet adapter need drivers for the system to recognize what the fvck just got plugged in? and wouldn't those drivers need to be Wii specific? so wouldn't they have to be written by Nintendo for every single brand of adaptor out there (if they want to have ANY adaptor work that is). Maybe I'm thinking of this wrong.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PlayStation Tree said:
I hear ya, but things like the sensor bar extension, s-video cable and USB ethernet directly affect how much I will be spending on the 19th. I'd like to know what i'm in for.

And no I'm not adjusting my fvcking room setup just for the Wii. I already have 20ft cables to get from my equiptment rack to the ceiling; you're suggesting I buy 30ft Component, RGB, S-video and compisite cables just so I can have the Wii closer to the screen? Really?

Na. Just read my first sentence and ignore the rest which is just me bitching really :p

adg1034

Fatghost said:
That's a confirmed no.

My question: Since component are sold online only, are S-video cables also online only, or even available at launch and not just confirmed for a later date?

Actually, component cables will not be online-only. You will be able to walk into your local electronics store of choice and purchase them right there on the spot.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
adg1034 said:
Actually, component cables will not be online-only. You will be able to walk into your local electronics store of choice and purchase them right there on the spot.
When was this confirmed?

WARCOCK said:
I guess shes never really played with a wii. How sad.

I guess you never played with one either. Unless there's some hidden meaning in the topic of this thread, Wii is a video game system, not a penis you want to promote. There's an Off Topic Discussion forum for your sexuality

Varjet

Mac the KNife said:
Is that what they're using? I confess that I wasn't considering buying one until yesterday.
You don't need to buy one immediately, as Wii comes with 512 MB of built-in flash memory .

Matt

Here is the official Nintendo Ethernet adapter:
p_lan_adapter.jpg

WARCOCK

Banned
gamergirly said:
I guess you never played with one either. Unless there's some hidden meaning in the topic of this thread, Wii is a video game system, not a penis you want to promote. There's an Off Topic Discussion forum for your sexuality

"Sir! We have picked up multiple sarcastic missles inbound to hit us in t-minus now!!!111"
"LAUNCH THE PATRIOFFTOPIC MISSZLES!!!!"

WARCOCK said:
"Sir! We have picked up multiple sarcastic missles inbound to hit us in t-minus now!!!111"
"LAUNCH THE PATRIOFFTOPIC MISSZLES!!!!"

Indeed

WARCOCK
PENIS IN POTATO, ALL WALLS NORTH!

Pale

PlayStation Tree said:
Before this forum fully tears itself apart with stupid fanboy bickering and gamefaqs-worthy topics (I mean holy shit: “Which game is the bigger legend?! (OoT & FF7 related)”, or “Why the PS3 has virtually no chance in North America.” – are you serious??) I got a few last questions about the Wii I need answered. Don’t let me down GAF.

I don't know but the cable looks to have some significant length to it. Probably not long enough for your situation though.
2. S-video cables – have they been confirmed? (I just won’t play the system on composite; call me crazy I don’t care, but after upgrading my PS2, there is just no going below this bare minimum)
Confirmed in Japan, but no official confirmation here yet. They sure as hell better be there at launch.
Not sure on this one...
Yes, in Japan. Nothing official here yet though.
For some stupid reason NOA is doing everything in white right now.
That’s it for now. You guys are just super.

Overall, I can't figure out why NOA is being so quiet about accessories. Sadly, stores like Wal-Mart, who are basing their pre sell stuff off of official things, show no sign of s-video cables, component cables, or ethernet adapters.

gamergirly said:

celebrity.jpg

"Wait, Wait, is someone selling Penis Mightier's here?"

On second thought, ignore that comment. I dont want to derail the thread anymore by either my or WARCOK's comments......

Top Bottom