• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 weeks till Wii – why do I still have questions?

Terrell

gamergirly said:
According to that IGN Wii Launch link, they mention that you can dl demos
It was one of the things that was discussed as being available to you via Wii Connect24 when that service was announced. And while Nintendo themselves may never support this, you know some 3rd-parties are behind this bandwagon. Heck, Nintendo might do something similar to MS and offer demos/trailers for download during major press junkets.

mugwhump

PlayStation Tree said:
Yeah, I heard that. I guess I was just hoping for a one time set up of things like this for use in all games. But I suppose that would just make too much sense.
Maybe different games want to calibrate for different things?

MaddenNFL64

Zelda TP Wii comes with great calibration settings. From Matt's Zelda impressions

Matt said:
An on-screen circle shows where your remote is pointed and if the angle of your hand doesn't seem to quite match with it, you can modify the settings using D-Pad Up or Down until it does. Meanwhile, you're directed to widen or shorten a separate on-screen field so that it directly matches the placement and size of your sensor bar. And finally, you're asked to push forward or backward with the Wii remote - which either increases or decreases the size of an on-screen circle so that it exactly matches another - and when the two are perfectly aligned you know you are playing from your optimal distance. It's clear that a lot of thought has gone into making sure that the pointer's accuracy is more than merely satisfactory.

Every game needs this. Watching vids from the wii event, showing demo players drop moblins in quick succession with the bow is great stuff. Such a contrast to the E3 demo where no one could hit shit.

edit: ****. Beaten.

mugwhump said:
Maybe different games want to calibrate for different things?

OK, and if there are unique calibrations for certain games, thats fine if they're done in-game. But screen size seems like factor that could benefit all other calibrations that any game might want to do, and at the same time make the menu system/Mii/internet browsing probably work that much better.

Just a thought.

unifin

PlayStation Tree said:
OK, and if there are unique calibrations for certain games, thats fine if they're done in-game. But screen size seems like factor that could benefit all other calibrations that any game might want to do, and at the same time make the menu system/Mii/internet browsing probably work that much better.

Just a thought.

That's true, but the calibration also seems to take into account your distance from the television.

I'm not saying it'd be a bad idea, and for all we know the Wii startup disc might actually include such a calibration, but if they don't, i could understand why.

Also, it's Nintendo.

Dragona Akehi said:
Day one, as long as you aren't American. (PAL and Japan will have cables day one in store.)

Blame NOA.
Perrin Kaplan said they would be in stores for NA as well in an interview last week. Of course, she also said Wii was region free at one point, so take it with a grain of salt. On the other hand, they asked her about that mistake and she owned up to it, so I'm assuming she has her shit right in this interview.

usea

Other than converting my whole network to wireless, what would be the best option to get the Wii online on launch day in the US? You can buy a dongle for your ethernet outlets that swaps it to wifi right? But wouldn't that be a security risk, without some kind of encryption or security from the router? And with the official usb ethernet adapter's status still unknown for the US afaik...

My sister also wants to get online with her DS, and upgrading the network is not an option right now. What about buying a $50 wireless router and using it in conjunction with my ethernet network (plug it into a downlink port of my normal router)? Will that work, and don't only certain routers work with the DS?

AndoCalrissian said:
Perrin Kaplan said they would be in stores for NA as well in an interview last week. Of course, she also said Wii was region free at one point, so take it with a grain of salt. On the other hand, they asked her about that mistake and she owned up to it, so I'm assuming she has her shit right in this interview.

To be perfectly honest, I expect that Canada will get component cables in stock. They, like Europa and Japan got the WiFi adapters in brick and mortar stores from day one, unlike the US.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Dragona Akehi said:
To be perfectly honest, I expect that Canada will get component cables in stock. They, like Europa and Japan got the WiFi adapters in brick and mortar stores from day one, unlike the US.
Not exactly true, it showed up late (a couple of weeks to a month IIRC).

Top Bottom