• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 Years of PlayStation - RIDGE RACER interview on Eurogamer

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ars-of-playstation-the-ridge-racer-revolution

"Considering the fact that this was our first development for PlayStation and the development period was only six months, we could not take a risk and decided to have a locked 30fps," Sakagami says - but the full 60fps experience was never far from the thoughts of the Ridge Racer team.

"Ridge Racer with 60fps was included into R4-Ridge Racer Type 4, as Ridge Racer Hi-Spec version. It was actually what we wanted to do for first Ridge Racer on PlayStation 1 and I was very happy that we could do it with the R4 release."

Ridge Racer may not have been 'arcade perfect' - to use the parlance of the time - but it was a hugely significant release. As developers struggled with the transition from sprites to texture maps, Namco leveraged its existing experience with arcade 3D technology to create the most polished, technically adept polygon-driven console game of the time. It followed in the wake of a Sega Saturn conversion of Virtua Fighter that felt a little rough around the edges. Four months later, the Saturn version of Daytona USA would impress with its raw playability, but visually the game still couldn't meet the polish, quality and sheer performance of Ridge Racer. It took some time for the competition to catch up, but by the time Sega Rally appeared, PlayStation's dominance of the home console market was starting to take hold. Indeed, the level of its success would have dramatic consequences for the arcade market too.

Now, it feels as though the series lies dormant. Both the Vita version and its 3DS stablemate lacked the magic and both saw a downgrade to 30fps, while the latest Ridge games have been mobile games - a logical progression in some ways, but not quite the final fate we envisaged for a revered franchise. Some might say that the series had run its course on the home consoles, but in our view there's always a place for a new Ridge Racer with the arrival of next-gen hardware.

Our interview sadly lacks a response to the question of whether the series will return to home console hardware, but there'll always be a place in our heart - and indeed our software collection - for a new Ridge Racer.

Man, I loved Ridge Racer. That first moment that someone accidentally hit the eject button when I was playing, and we realized that not only did the game still work, but you could also play your own CDs...awesome.

liquidtmd

Banned
Man, amazing choice for PS1 early days

I was a MAJOR Daytona USA arcade fan - but on seeing the botch job of Daytona on the Saturn vs PS1 Ridge Racer back then, it was a major factor in my buying choice.

AmyS

7pXxbFZ.jpg

Ridge Racer arcade System 22 - 60 FPS video

Next Generation magazine, from the premier issue:

ozClIWO.jpg

jvF3O3a.jpg

gxa141K.jpg

lKlWcqf.jpg

EDGE, in-depth on the coin-op and System 22.

x14KO6t.jpg

EQh6tqi.jpg

QrIhx5C.jpg

1x0gUv5.jpg

z4Ggapg.jpg

wLRRlSv.jpg

FMm6Nkw.jpg

7Hs6Mga.jpg

GAsNsFF.jpg

zVdv7SY.jpg

2RAXWr6.jpg

yYpKxXN.jpg

NCGlTK4.jpg

ZqwUT5V.jpg

erRherM.jpg

hGMoR9v.jpg

jyCZOX1.jpg

Petrae

I first played Ridge Racer on an import PlayStation at my local gaming store, and I was instantly hooked. It was the game that got me to preorder a PlayStation, and I would go on to buy more than half a dozen more Racer games over the next 20 years.

It's sad to see this series-- along with Ace Combat-- die off in recent years, between weird offshoot titles (Unbounded or Assault Horizon) and F2P crap... but I can at least play the games that came before and relive some awesome memories.

AmyS

The old Namco that worked on PlayStation would soooo be able to achieve this in realtime @ 1080p60 on PS4:

106dEkx.jpg

bk3QVhp.jpg

OqUfETH.jpg

w3pf14F.jpg

AmyS

For those that are setup to play it, what's the 3D effect like in Ridge Racer 7 and does it hold at 60fps ?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
As usual I tend to miss all the Ridge Racer related threads here unless I specifically conduct a "Ridge Racer" search on the forum. It's a good thing I did. Great thread guys. Namco are too stupid to consider any of the smart and NO BRAINER suggestions in this topic. Pffft whatever....RR7 and RR2 PSP will still be loved and cherished us hardcore Ridge fans.

In any case Happy Birthday and RIP Ridge Racer.

tumblr_lmvbp77Tnz1qfg766o1_500.jpg

People with a Vita should get Ridge Racer with all the DLC. It lacks a proper Single player carrier mode, but it's still the last "real" Ridge Racer game. Great graphics, soundtrack, classic cars and tracks and a online multiplayer.
Definitely get Ridge Racers 2 and Ridge Racer 7 if you have access to it.
Ridge Racer 6 is almost the same game as RR7 with a bit less content but with a superior imho soundtrack.

People with a Vita should get Ridge Racer with all the DLC. It lacks a proper Single player carrier mode, but it's still the last "real" Ridge Racer game. Great graphics, soundtrack, classic cars and tracks and a online multiplayer.
Definitely get Ridge Racers 2 and Ridge Racer 7 if you have access to it.
Ridge Racer 6 is almost the same game as RR7 with a bit less content but with a superior imho soundtrack.

Well I'd say avoid the Vita version because 30fps ruins Ridge Racer, and get PSP Ridge Racer instead. Ridge Racers 2 is awesome, but sadly not on the EU PSN store.

Well I'd say avoid the Vita version because 30fps ruins Ridge Racer, and get PSP Ridge Racer instead. Ridge Racers 2 is awesome, but sadly not on the EU PSN store.
That's a silly argument if you ask me. Some of the best entries on the franchise are 30fps. Of course 60fps is always preferable in RR, but by no means should be reason enough to avoid a game.

Why isn't the original game and rage racer in own? Why isn't Namco remaking a new ridge racer for ps4?

Indeed to all of what you said, its ridiculous that even the PS1 versions aren't on PSN.

They could easily make a Collection, they have remade pretty much every track again up to a decent standard including Rave Racer ffs). They have the mesh, textures on RR6/7 are good, they could clean it up a bit and release it on PS4/X1. Or, port the arcade original like Daytona USA. I'd take that just as much!

Of course, all new tracks and a whole new game would be better, but I'd take anything at this point as long as it's pure Ridge. Fuck, just port Ridge Racer V to PS4!

That's a silly argument if you ask me. Some of the best entries on the franchise are 30fps. Of course 60fps is always preferable in RR, but by no means should be reason enough to avoid a game.

Yeah but since V we had 60fps Ridge Racer, I don't want to go back (and don't need to with the PSP version). But whatever, that's your choice :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

ok then. I recommend people avoid the Vita version because it isn't very good and they screwed up the handling a long time ago. Buy the PSP Ridge Racer as a fond and well handled compilation of some of your favourite old RR tracks from previous installments. Sadly not all because like Mr Linder says, they never released RR2 in Europe (or US?)

ok then. I recommend people avoid the Vita version because it isn't very good and they screwed up the handling a long time ago. Buy the PSP Ridge Racer as a fond and well handled compilation of some of your favourite old RR tracks from previous installments. Sadly not all because like Mr Linder says, they never released RR2 in Europe (or US?)
It was released in Europe, just not on EU PSN.

The old Namco that worked on PlayStation would soooo be able to achieve this in realtime @ 1080p60 on PS4:

106dEkx.jpg

bk3QVhp.jpg

OqUfETH.jpg

w3pf14F.jpg

The thing is, most modern racing games are doing WAAAAAY more shit than those old CG Trailers did, but I'd fucking love it if some dev would actually try to replicate that exact style in-game, including all the motion blur and the image quality. If I'd direct a racing game, I'd focus way more on that arcade perfect feel than trying to get every cockpit to look authentic. Just fuck that and make the in-game experience feel like a real blast from the past.

Ridge Racer, Rage Racer and Ridge Racer Type 4 are some of the best PS1 games. I'd love to see a PROPER update that really lives up to the shit they wanted to build back then.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Indeed to all of what you said, its ridiculous that even the PS1 versions aren't on PSN.

They could easily make a Collection, they have remade pretty much every track again up to a decent standard including Rave Racer ffs). They have the mesh, textures on RR6/7 are good, they could clean it up a bit and release it on PS4/X1. Or, port the arcade original like Daytona USA. I'd take that just as much!

Of course, all new tracks and a whole new game would be better, but I'd take anything at this point as long as it's pure Ridge. Fuck, just port Ridge Racer V to PS4!
It be nice if they just made a HD port of Ridge Racers 2 with split screen and online (I have no idea why they didn't include that in the PSP games). All the content of the first one and more is just fine for me. God, I loved that game so much.

Ruruja

Rage Racer was the first game I had for my Playstation, so going back to Ridge Racer after it wasn't that good because Rage Racer is just miles better. I still enjoyed playing Galaga before the game started though!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Rage Racer was the first game I had for my Playstation, so going back to Ridge Racer after it wasn't that good because Rage Racer is just miles better. I still enjoyed playing Galaga before the game started though!

Rage is my all time favourite ridge racer

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
It be nice if they just made a HD port of Ridge Racers 2 with split screen and online (I have no idea why they didn't include that in the PSP games). All the content of the first one and more is just fine for me. God, I loved that game so much.

Ridge Racers 2 PSP does have online multiplayer via adhoc mode.

isamu

Ridge Racer Type 4 intro is still one of the best intros in the industry.

I'm gonna have to go ahead and try to figure out a way to admit that I fully agree with this post!

Top Bottom